PDA

View Full Version : anyone know who helped me with medical emergency 7/26 at Standing Indian?

JRinGeorgia
08-31-2015, 09:10
Hey folks, this is a long shot but I thought I would ask: on July 25-26 I did the Standing Indian loop as a solo one-nighter. Started and ended at SI campground, went clockwise. On Sun 7/26 I had a pretty bad incident hiking out the last 10 miles with a kidney stone flaring up, ended up making it back to the campground but collapsed there and ended up in an ambulance. I think a good bit of dehydration, heat exhaustion, and hypothermia ended up in the mix as complications from the kidney stone. I received some help from some people who I believe were just guests staying at the campground, the woman who helped me most said when she approached me she is a trained wilderness first responder. Once the ambulance came I was whisked away without a chance to thank her and the others. I've since called the campground to see if they knew who it was, but they don't, only saying it probably was a campground guest.

I know it's a long shot but I thought I would ask here -- does this incident sound familiar to anyone? By chance do you know who helped me? Even if the people who helped me don't want to release their contact info to me, perhaps someone could pass along to them my gratitude and status (I'm OK now). Thanks.

Casey & Gina
08-31-2015, 13:43
Hey folks, this is a long shot but I thought I would ask: on July 25-26 I did the Standing Indian loop as a solo one-nighter. Started and ended at SI campground, went clockwise. On Sun 7/26 I had a pretty bad incident hiking out the last 10 miles with a kidney stone flaring up, ended up making it back to the campground but collapsed there and ended up in an ambulance. I think a good bit of dehydration, heat exhaustion, and hypothermia ended up in the mix as complications from the kidney stone. I received some help from some people who I believe were just guests staying at the campground, the woman who helped me most said when she approached me she is a trained wilderness first responder. Once the ambulance came I was whisked away without a chance to thank her and the others. I've since called the campground to see if they knew who it was, but they don't, only saying it probably was a campground guest.

I know it's a long shot but I thought I would ask here -- does this incident sound familiar to anyone? By chance do you know who helped me? Even if the people who helped me don't want to release their contact info to me, perhaps someone could pass along to them my gratitude and status (I'm OK now). Thanks.

I just wanna say to everyone to make sure you stay really hydrated out there! I went on a week-long shakedown hike recently, from northern Maryland down to Harper's Ferry and back. I was sipping water from my hydration bladder the whole time but obviously not enough and being overly-conservative. It was hot and humid - I was sweating a lot (compounded by the fact that I was carrying way too much food weight) and not needing to go to the bathroom very often. I ended up having bad bladder pain every time I would go, which then spread to one of my kidneys. The pain was pretty bad and it was a difficult hike back. I thought it was a kidney stone, until the day I was back the other kidney started hurting as well. So I guess it was a kidney infection, which can be pretty serious. I made a lot of herbal teas, drank tons of water, and stayed in bed for several days. I managed to clear it up but it was not fun.

Take care of yourself and make sure you drink plenty of water! The pain that comes along with kidney problems is totally not worth it!

JRinGeorgia
08-31-2015, 18:12
Mmmm, OK...in case I wasn't clear (though I think I was), I'm not looking to start a broad discussion on the benefits of staying hydrated or how painful kidney problems can be. I am specifically hoping someone might be able to point me to the people who provided assistance to me so I could thank them.

BTW, in my case I got dehydrated because the pain from my kidney stone was causing me to puke the whole way down the trail so I wasn't getting anything in my system, no amount of hydration advice could have overcome that.

Casey & Gina
08-31-2015, 19:54
Sorry to disrupt your thread mate, just thought it was a good opportunity to put it out there. Glad you got help and I hope you can connect with those who helped!