PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for a Boy Scout

ajreynolds
08-31-2015, 11:15
My son is new in scouting and I'm trying to equip him with reasonably priced gear. Right now I'm looking at sleeping bags. We're in southern California. We're not sure if he's allergic to down, so we want to stick with a synthetic bag and I think a 20 degree regular size bag would be the right choice for him. We want to try to keep it around $150 or less. The bags I'm looking at right now are the North Face Cat's Meow and Mountain Hardware Lamina 20 (just the Lamina, not UltraLamina). Both are on sale for the same price ($130) and specs are similar. I haven't found many reviews on forums about the Lamina 20, anyone have experience with it? Any other similar bags I should be considering?

Thanks very much.

bobp
08-31-2015, 11:34
I've used the Lamina 20 for years (8 or 9 anyway) in Scouting activities (I'm a Scouter). it has worked very well for me, and I would recommend it over down for a Scout (Scouts get wet. Amazingly wet.). The temperature range is spot-on for typical Scout camping (and I've used the bag in a tent in January with a mylar space blanket), it is reasonably light, reasonably compact, durable, and not horribly expensive. My only gripe is that I have trouble with the zipper on occasion (the nylon outer fabric of the bag is very slick, and I get it snagged in the zipper), but it is a relatively minor annoyance. I really like the bag a lot.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2015, 11:42
When I go to REI and filter sleeping bags (http://www.rei.com/c/mens-sleeping-bags?ir=category%3Asleeping-bags-and-accessories&r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Csleeping-bags-and-accessories%7Csleeping-bags%7Cmens-sleeping-bags%3Brange-temperature-ra%3A15 to 29%3Bbest-use%3ABackpacking%3BInsulation-Type%3ASynthetic&page=1)by your requirements, I'm not super happy with my options. I would suggest going to Montbell.com (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=10&sort=P) and seeing what you can get him that fits your price range. If I had to spend money on 1 peace of gear up front I would say it would be sleeping bags over much anything else. If not they are some what of a great burden, either pack ability, weight, or comfort ability.

I am somewhat of a sleeping bag collector:
Montbell 15* long
Montbell 15* UL
Montbell 30* Reg

Western Mountaineering 5* (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Gore%20Windstopper%20Series&ContentId=49)
WM 35* highlite (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=16)

OCDave
08-31-2015, 11:45
My boys started with North Face Cat's Meow bags. The temperature range and durability worked well, especially for the first couple years. As they got older their Troop got more involved in 2-3 day backpacking trips. At that point, it made sense to switch to down bags for weight and compactness. We already had the NF bags so no remorse but, I might consider splurging now for a down bag if his troop will be backpacking more than a couple times each year. I understand you are "not sure if he is allergic to down". Why do you think he would be?

Kenai
08-31-2015, 11:45
Check out REI. They are having their labor day sale now.

http://www.rei.com/s/all-deals?ir=collection%3Aall-deals&pagesize=90&r=category%3Acamping-and-hiking%7Csleeping-bags-and-accessories&page=1

Kenai
08-31-2015, 11:51
http://www.rei.com/product/864539/the-north-face-cats-meow-sleeping-bag?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla_multichannel-_-8645390001&mr:trackingCode=F11901E7-3793-E311-90E9-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannelonline&mr:ad=89274111160&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=140601944680&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA

With the 20% off that you get on any 1 single item, it puts the NF Cat's Meow under your $150. cap.

Connie
08-31-2015, 11:55
Purchase a down pillow or down vest.

Someone in the family will have something useful, and, you can find out if he is allergic to down.

Just Tom
08-31-2015, 12:17
The Lamina is a good bag, my son uses one for scouts as well.

By the way, I don't think it is 20% off any item at REI, that was the Outlet only I think.

Kenai
08-31-2015, 12:34
The Lamina is a good bag, my son uses one for scouts as well.

By the way, I don't think it is 20% off any item at REI, that was the Outlet only I think.

My mistake. Thanks for catching that. JT.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2015, 12:35
by the way, i don't think it is 20% off any item at rei, that was the outlet only i think.

20% off an outlet item. But by buying from REI your going to eat up a lot of your % off because they are overpriced.

ajreynolds
08-31-2015, 13:12
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the Lamina 20 at the moment based on the specs. I can get both the Lamina 20 and Cat's Meow for about $129 right now from different sources. I need to get out to the shop soon to see them both first hand.

Just Tom
08-31-2015, 14:18
Probably an obvious statement, but go with the one that compresses the most and is lightest. Not sure of the comparative specs of these bags.

HooKooDooKu
08-31-2015, 14:40
Unless there is some over-riding factor in getting the Cat's Meow, I would recommend the Lamina... because they pack down significantly tighter.
Cat's Meow: 9x17 ( ~1,000 cu.in.)
Lamina 20: 7.5x15 (~660 cu.in.)

I would also recommend the Lamina based on my experience with the Ultra Lamina. But I would also suggest that you check around to see if you can find any place that might have a previous year's Ultra Lamina on clearance. I got lucky a few years ago. MH had made a major change in the Ultra Lamina model a few years back. Late in the year after the model change, I found the previous model on clearance for $135.

slbirdnerd
08-31-2015, 14:47
My scout has been using the Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20 (synthetic) for 3 years so far and it works great for him. I think I paid less than $100 for it. I would definitely go synthetic with a scout until they have some backpacking experience and are old enough to be sure to care for the down properly, not get it wet, etc.

Feral Bill
08-31-2015, 14:50
Unless there is some over-riding factor in getting the Cat's Meow, I would recommend the Lamina... because they pack down significantly tighter.
Cat's Meow: 9x17 ( ~1,000 cu.in.)
Lamina 20: 7.5x15 (~660 cu.in.)

Are they actually different or does the Lamina just come with an undersized stuff sack?

I would also recommend the Lamina based on my experience with the Ultra Lamina. But I would also suggest that you check around to see if you can find any place that might have a previous year's Ultra Lamina on clearance. I got lucky a few years ago. MH had made a major change in the Ultra Lamina model a few years back. Late in the year after the model change, I found the previous model on clearance for $135.Are they actually different or does the Lamina just come with an undersized stuff sack?

Ktaadn
08-31-2015, 15:34
I've had the Lamina for several years and have used it in the winter many times. I don't have any complaints.