PDA

View Full Version : Should this Bear die?

Malto
08-31-2015, 12:35
You be the judge, should this bear die?

http://foxct.com/2015/08/28/sessions-woods-trails-closed-in-burlington-after-woman-encounters-black-bears/

If you think not......
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/123/693/817/demand-the-deep-not-to-euthanize-a-curious-bear-cub/

burger
08-31-2015, 12:58
The woman who shot the video is an idiot of the highest order for letting the bears come so close to start with. She should be banned from hiking anyplace with wildlife--she is a danger to herself and to others (since her stupidity is going to get some bears killed).

Ktaadn
08-31-2015, 12:59
Looks like the bears were more interested in running off and climbing a tree, than hurting her. I think she is mostly at fault for not attempting to scare the bears away so that they learn to fear humans. Looks like the one bear has 2 ear tags, so this certainly isn't it's first time seeing one.

nsherry61
08-31-2015, 13:03
Honestly, I don't know enough about bear psychology and the history of this area to make a responsible decision. Euthanizing the bear seems harsh, at the surface, with no evidence of aggression. I have a similar photo of an arctic ground squire and my wife's leg (think, very small bear?). Denali National Park didn't seem to think the squirrel needed to be euthanized. ;-)

Fredt4
08-31-2015, 13:06
Gun! Sorry, meant to shout BEAR!

Bear are an unknown factor. Forest Service fails to warn about killer bears and kid gets killed by bear, even though there haven't been a bear attack previously in that area. It's simple protect your ass and kill the nosey bear else your agency is reckless and liable. Not a hard call for the agency to make.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 13:11
The woman who shot the video is an idiot of the highest order for letting the bears come so close to start with. She should be banned from hiking anyplace with wildlife--she is a danger to herself and to others (since her stupidity is going to get some bears killed).

Unfortunately, the woman is not an expert on bear behavior and how best to face down a bruin when it suddenly appears. Given these are pretty much suburban groomed trails with lots of people on them at any given time, bears may be around but are generally not seen. She was rather frightened as she filmed the event, which you can hear her say at some point, "Someone will know what happened" as she filmed. That event gave DEEP Wardens the opportunity to see the bear actions and make the determination the bear needed to be destroyed. Given the two red tags in its ears, it has a prior history of being a problem bear.

Had she run from the animal it could have triggered it to chase, had she threatened the bear with movements toward it the fight reflex could have been triggered. About all she could have done is talked loudly to it, which is against most people's impressions of how to sooth an animal using a low, quiet voice.

Frankly, I think most people who are not habituated to bears would make a similar try in using a softer voice before running from it and causing a chase.

OCDave
08-31-2015, 13:24
I would really like to see some form of fine or penalty levied against Stephanie Rivkin for endangering the life of the bear.

OCDave
08-31-2015, 13:31
.... About all she could have done is talked loudly to it, which is against most people's impressions of how to sooth an animal using a low, quiet voice. ....

Did you watch the 3 minute video posted 1/2 down the page? There is definite much more she could have done to change this interaction.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 13:33
Did you watch the 3 minute video posted 1/2 down the page? There is definite much more she could have done to change this interaction.

That presumes she has knowledge of how to fend off a bear. Though I doubt once it started she had a lot of control over it, the bear has been a problem bear for a while and was continuing its line of work.

Sarcasm the elf
08-31-2015, 13:42
People in the suburbs sure do like to have nature sanitized for their consumption...

Even as a hunter I don't like the idea of people killing an animal out of fear or paranoia, and especially not when it's the authorities carrying it out.

AO2134
08-31-2015, 14:11
I have read elsewhere that this bear has had a history of similar actions towards other hikers. If what I read is true, and based on this video, I'd say yes. The lady sure acted like an idiot, but this bear has lost any fear of humans. Worse, the bear has a history of like incidents.

With the above assumption that this was not the first time this bear has had a similar encounter, I have no problem with the decision. If I were hiking in that area, I would feel safer knowing that bear was no longer in the area.

OCDave
08-31-2015, 14:12
That presumes she has knowledge of how to fend off a bear. Though I doubt once it started she had a lot of control over it, the bear has been a problem bear for a while and was continuing its line of work.

I think we watched different videos.

saltysack
08-31-2015, 14:15
Dumb ass didn't even try to scare them off! Bear didn't do sh**!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
08-31-2015, 15:07
I have read elsewhere that this bear has had a history of similar actions towards other hikers. If what I read is true, and based on this video, I'd say yes. The lady sure acted like an idiot, but this bear has lost any fear of humans. Worse, the bear has a history of like incidents.

With the above assumption that this was not the first time this bear has had a similar encounter, I have no problem with the decision. If I were hiking in that area, I would feel safer knowing that bear was no longer in the area.

I suppose what irks me is the feeling I have that if she reported the incident without the video, they probably wouldn't have chosen this course of action.

Moosling
08-31-2015, 15:21
If she was so in fear for her life why did she keep filming? This bugs me big time. Stupid people and now a Bear will die for her stupidity. smh

HeartFire
08-31-2015, 15:24
The bear had ear tags - why - was this from previous encounters? either way,
The lady should be heavily fined for her part - she actively encouraged the bear - and she should be made to watch as they put sown this beautiful creature. She should be made responsible for his demise.

AO2134
08-31-2015, 16:06
From what I read, the bear was tagged because of previous (more than 1) encounters with other hikers. They had marked it as a problem bear.

I am not defending this hiker's stupidity. She was stupid, very stupid even, but she did not cause this bear to die. This bear had problems with hikers before this hiker was around. If left alive, will likely continue to have problems with hikers in the future. She certainly did this bear no favors nor herself for that matter with her actions that day, but sooner or later this would have been an inevitable outcome for this bear given this bear's history (if what I read was correct- that this bear had 3-4 similar incidents with other hikers).

If a bear was stalking me like that, I'd ***** my pants. Of course, maybe if she acted properly, the bear would have ran away, but given the history, maybe it wouldn't. I think there is only one choice with a bear with this history (again assuming what I read was correct).

Just Tom
08-31-2015, 16:12
Details:

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=4707&Q=570060&deepNav_GID=1511

Just Tom
08-31-2015, 16:13
The bear is even believed to have entered a home?

Traveler
08-31-2015, 16:15
People in the suburbs sure do like to have nature sanitized for their consumption...

Even as a hunter I don't like the idea of people killing an animal out of fear or paranoia, and especially not when it's the authorities carrying it out.

This particular bear has a history of problem activity and has been relocated. Its certainly not something it just started doing or they would relocate it.

Traveler
08-31-2015, 16:22
The bear had ear tags - why - was this from previous encounters? either way,
The lady should be heavily fined for her part - she actively encouraged the bear - and she should be made to watch as they put sown this beautiful creature. She should be made responsible for his demise.

Yes, from previous encounters and relocates. Fining the woman for the actions of a problem bear is a bit rough. We used to blame women for undue attention leading to various things years ago, but modernity overtook us and we know better today.
Most people are not that aware of how to deal with bears and are not well schooled in what to do. Keep in mind this is a fairly suburban area and the trails are more jogging type trails than they are hiking where this occurred.

swisscross
08-31-2015, 17:23
The cute little bear with two ear rings was just checking out the girl with two nose rings.

CELTIC BUCK
08-31-2015, 17:41
Was the bear relocated or destroyed?? Woman needs to be fined

rocketsocks
08-31-2015, 17:58
I think one good foot stomp would have scared the bear away...another vote for don't kill the bear.

Sarcasm the elf
08-31-2015, 18:31
This particular bear has a history of problem activity and has been relocated. Its certainly not something it just started doing or they would relocate it.

I know, but that doesn't change my disappointment with the situation. DEEP is doing what they have to, and it dissapoints me, but unless I was in their shoes I don't think I could say if the decision was right or wrong.

The woman's clueless nativity (at least that's the impression I get from the news story) is disappointing as well. Based on the video it doesn't look like she was harassing wildlife, it looks like she found herself in a reasonably forseeable situation and didn't know how to handle it. Again just disappointing.

The only thing that I am glad about is that this is the result of the bear population reestablishing itself in Connecticut. When I was growing up the idea of a bear in the state was unusual, now I see them in Shelton every once in a while. I just hope the state does more to explain to the residents that the bears are here to stay.

Kenai
08-31-2015, 18:36
August 31, 2015

Statement of CT DEEP Concerning Bear at Sessions Woods, Burlington

The encounter Friday afternoon between a bear and a woman hiking at the Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area is raising important questions about how DEEP is managing a growing bear population.

Our wildlife biologists, who talked to the woman and analyzed the video she took, expressed serious concerns about the behavior of the bear. Our experts said that by following the woman for an extended period of time, circling her, and even putting its mouth on her calf, the bear was engaged in what they call “bold and aggressive behavior.” They also said other actions the bear took – such as pursuing the woman whenever she turned her back, stomping, posturing, and jaw popping – were typical of a bear that is tracking and testing potential prey. To the untrained eye, the bear’s interactions with the woman may look fairly innocent and almost playful – but it is clear that they were not.

It should also be noted that this was not DEEP’s first encounter with this bear. Information on tags that could be seen on the bear show that it was captured, tranquilized and relocated from the perimeter fence at Bradley International Airport in June. Later that month, it attempted to follow a woman into a building in Windsor. In July, it showed up at a yard in Granby and we suspect that it entered the home there.

Given the incident on Friday and the previous behavior of the bear, DEEP will euthanize the animal if it can be located. This is not a decision made lightly. DEEP staff has the utmost respect for the wildlife of our state. In fact, wildlife biologists and state Environmental Conservation Police Officers are called out many times each year to rescue bears from situations where they are stuck in unsuitable densely populated areas – posing a danger to both the animal and to the people who live or work there. In these cases, the bears are tranquilized and relocated back into the woods.

There are occasions, like this one, however, when stronger action must be taken to protect the safety of the public. While we appreciate your concerns, imagine the public outcry that would develop if no effort was made to locate and euthanize this bear and in another future encounter it actually harms someone.

There are increasing numbers of bears in our state and they are expanding in range as younger bears seek their own territory. There are now reports of bear sightings in virtually every part of Connecticut. This is going to lead to more interactions between bears and people and more discussion of the best way to address the growing population.

DEEP is currently engaged in a detailed study of the population trends of this species with the University of Connecticut. The results of that study will aid the agency in developing a management strategy for the future.

For more information about black bears in Connecticut and advice on how to respond to the presence of a bear, please visit www.ct.gov/deep/blackbear (http://www.ct.gov/deep/blackbear)

Thank you Just Tom for posting this.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 18:52
It is sad that the bear has a learned behavior that makes it a high risk animal. Nonetheless, it is a high risk bear now. We all know the mantra. A fed bear is a dead bear. It is not fair to the bear. However, with rare exceptions, humans value human life over a bear's life. Should we wait until the beat gets more aggressive before someone pulls the figurative and literal trigger? Yes it is sad. Yes it is wrong. It has to happen though. I think a lot of people are speaking from their hearts and not with their heads. It is a sad, but prudent course of action to put this bear down.

rocketsocks
08-31-2015, 20:31
I don't know, I think if you walk in the woods where bears live you take your chances.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2015, 20:39
Woman needs to be fined
why? what law she break?

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 20:43
I don't know, I think if you walk in the woods where bears live you take your chances.

Nah. Not much danger walking in the woods with bears. Hard to even see a bear. They can smell you from miles away. They run away long before you get near them. That bear is not acting normal. As such, it is going down. It is all cute and fuzzy now. It might not be so later. Normal bears run away. Taking chances with "tame" bears is risky business. That is why this one is going down. I am not happy about it. I just accept the reality.

imscotty
08-31-2015, 20:47
Yes, I think the bear should be euthanized. Unfortunately this bear has become acclimatized to humans. While this woman added to the problem, clearly there were other encounters before this. It would be to everyones benefit to keep bears afraid of humans. This one needs to go.

rocketsocks
08-31-2015, 20:48
Nah. Not much danger walking in the woods with bears. Hard to even see a bear. They can smell you from miles away. They run away long before you get near them. That bear is not acting normal. As such, it is going down. It is all cute and fuzzy now. It might not be so later. Normal bears run away. Taking chances with "tame" bears is risky business. That is why this one is going down. I am not happy about it. I just accept the reality.But by that standard every bear in the Smoky National park exhibits abnormal behavior by walking among the people and tents sites, it looked like it was just curious. But yeah, it's done.

Uncle Joe
08-31-2015, 20:51
I'm always fascinated that people think all bears behave a certain way.

BirdBrain
08-31-2015, 21:02
I'm always fascinated that people think all bears behave a certain way.

I am willing to accept that rebuke. I am mainly familiar with Maine black bears. Our bears are elusive. The ones that are not, get killed. We are not suffering from a lack of bears. They stay so well hidden up here, that you would think they are going extinct. I should not make ignorant comments about bears from other states. However, I still defer to the judgements of the local authorities. I doubt they are just randomly killing bears for no good reason. They see a danger. I defer to them.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2015, 08:06
The thing to remember in this video is that these are very young bears, so you kind of have to extrapolate that the one bear's actions into the future when it becomes much larger. It seems to me that they may be siblings and recently separated from their mother, notice how they instinctively run to the tree when spooked. It seems to me, either that the mother was habituated and passed on to the cubs or someone has possibly been feeding them. Whatever, the actions of that one is troubling and it seems only reasonable to believe that those actions will get more bold as it grows.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2015, 08:10
Yes, from previous encounters and relocates. Fining the woman for the actions of a problem bear is a bit rough. We used to blame women for undue attention leading to various things years ago, but modernity overtook us and we know better today.
Most people are not that aware of how to deal with bears and are not well schooled in what to do. Keep in mind this is a fairly suburban area and the trails are more jogging type trails than they are hiking where this occurred.
That was just a very stupid thing to say. People's opinion here would be exactly the same if that was a guy, everything else equal.

I agree that the woman shouldn't be fined, but damn she is so freakin' naive. But Animal Lovers and other self-proclaimed lovers of nature (regardless of sex) usually are...

Traveler
09-01-2015, 08:27
That was just a very stupid thing to say. People's opinion here would be exactly the same if that was a guy, everything else equal.

I agree that the woman shouldn't be fined, but damn she is so freakin' naive. But Animal Lovers and other self-proclaimed lovers of nature (regardless of sex) usually are...

Stupid is blaming the woman for the bears behavior given the history of the animal.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2015, 08:37
Stupid is blaming the woman for the bears behavior given the history of the animal.Geez, you are getting a little tedious, but I'll try one more time...:rolleyes:

I did not blame her. In the other thread I said, and still say, she contributed, albeit a very small contribution. If you look at that video, she was attempting to interact with the cub, simply because she thought it was cute (but momentarily lost its cuteness when it nipped at her).

You don't have to be a wildlife expert to know that you should not interact with wildlife.

Cfullerton
09-01-2015, 08:42
Why euthanize this bear? Why not relocate it to another wilderness area or a bear rescue? Maybe Im a little naive about bear activity, but there seems to be other alternatives out there.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2015, 08:48
Why euthanize this bear? Why not relocate it to another wilderness area or a bear rescue? Maybe Im a little naive about bear activity, but there seems to be other alternatives out there.It really doesn't matter if you relocate it, because it's already habituated and will become a threat where ever it is. However, I also hate to see animals killed and I do wonder if there was another way to instill fear in a habituated animal, but I don't think anyone wants to experiment, but I'd like to see that, FWIW...

Sarcasm the elf
09-01-2015, 08:51
As an update: I heard an interview with a CT DEEP officer this morning on the local NPR station. He made clear that they had been paying attention to this particular bear for some time and that their decision to trap and euthenize the bear was not based solely on this incident. Instead the decision was based on the pattern of behavior this particular bear has exhibited including body language that their biologists associate with predatory behavior. According to officials, this is not simply a habituated bear, but is the rare case of a bear that appears to be viewig humans as potantial prey.

As of this morning, they bear has not been caught.

Fredt4
09-01-2015, 08:56
Why euthanize this bear? Why not relocate it to another wilderness area or a bear rescue? Maybe Im a little naive about bear activity, but there seems to be other alternatives out there.

This particular bear sees humans as food, therefore it must die. It seems to me that her failure to act like prey, by running away, potentially avoided an attack. Eventually someone will run an the attack will occur. Given it's size it probably was uncertain if it could/would win, hence it's testing of her.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2015, 09:05
As an update: I heard an interview with a CT DEEP officer this morning on the local NPR station. He made clear that they had been paying attention to this particular bear for some time and that their decision to trap and euthenize the bear was not based solely on this incident. Instead the decision was based on the pattern of behavior this particular bear has exhibited including body language that their biologists associate with predatory behavior. According to officials, this is not simply a habituated bear, but is the rare case of a bear that appears to be viewig humans as potantial prey.

As of this morning, they bear has not been caught.
That's the other side of this story, which I'm kind of curious about, but don't really know much about (Black Bears exhibiting predatory behavior). I wonder if there is some genetic thing going on here that causes a black bear to be more likely to be a predator. I guess there is just no funding to further look into this question....

Traveler
09-01-2015, 09:12
Geez, you are getting a little tedious, but I'll try one more time...:rolleyes:

I did not blame her. In the other thread I said, and still say, she contributed, albeit a very small contribution. If you look at that video, she was attempting to interact with the cub, simply because she thought it was cute (but momentarily lost its cuteness when it nipped at her).

You don't have to be a wildlife expert to know that you should not interact with wildlife.

I will take the comment about tedious from the master as well intended. :D

The CT DEEP came out with a history statement regarding this bear along with some facts that may not be known outside the local area of this particular event. Of particular interest was this, "Our wildlife biologists, who talked to the woman and analyzed the video she took, expressed serious concerns about the behavior of the bear. Our experts said that by following the woman for an extended period of time, circling her, and even putting its mouth on her calf, the bear was engaged in what they call “bold and aggressive behavior. They also said other actions the bear took – such as pursuing the woman whenever she turned her back, stomping, posturing, and jaw popping – were typical of a bear that is tracking and testing potential prey. To the untrained eye, the bear’s interactions with the woman may look fairly innocent and almost playful"

Not everyone is well schooled in black bear behavior, unfortunate as that may be. In suburban areas like this its not anticipated one could run into a bear along a multi use trail that attracts many people during the average day. The behavior outlined in the DEEP quote would make the animal seem dog-like, which people unfamiliar with bears would likely treat the same way. Talk in a quiet voice, not turn your back, do not run, etc.

She did not opt to interact with wildlife before the wildlife interacted with her. Being much smaller than the bear, I would imagine she was past frightened and did what she could to mitigate the situation. This woman had as much impact on the bear's behavior as you did, she was simply the last of many interactions this animal had with humans and this one had the presence of mind to film it. In my view she is very lucky all things considered.

swisscross
09-01-2015, 09:44
Wondering?

When a bear is euthanized what do they do with the hide and the meat?

BirdBrain
09-01-2015, 09:45
The trouble with an isolated example is the skewed viewpoints that result. If we look at things from a wider perspective, things become more clear. I love nature. I love animals. We are responsible for the extinction of many species. That is an unacceptable evil. However, when we are talking about a thriving species, it is best to remember that we are talking about an animal. In Maine we kill bears for their meat and fur. We are not harming the bear population. Maine has one of the highest population densities of bear in this country. We also have one of the lowest bear incident rate in the areas where black bears exist. This is not a coincidence. It is a reasonable approach to maintaining a healthy and safe population of black bears. However, if you inject emotion, all perspective is lost. We are talking about a bear here folks. In 2011, it was estimated that there were 350 black bears in Connecticut, 5000 in New Hampshire, and 25,000 in Maine. There is a connection between the attitude toward an animal and its attitude toward us. Emotional people will explain away why we don't have an issue with black bears and Connecticut does. They can have their emotions. I like my high population density of safe bears.

http://www.blackbearsociety.org/bearPopulationbyState.html

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2015, 09:53
I will take the comment about tedious from the master as well intended. :D

The CT DEEP came out with a history statement regarding this bear along with some facts that may not be known outside the local area of this particular event. Of particular interest was this, "Our wildlife biologists, who talked to the woman and analyzed the video she took, expressed serious concerns about the behavior of the bear. Our experts said that by following the woman for an extended period of time, circling her, and even putting its mouth on her calf, the bear was engaged in what they call “bold and aggressive behavior. They also said other actions the bear took – such as pursuing the woman whenever she turned her back, stomping, posturing, and jaw popping – were typical of a bear that is tracking and testing potential prey. To the untrained eye, the bear’s interactions with the woman may look fairly innocent and almost playful"

Not everyone is well schooled in black bear behavior, unfortunate as that may be. In suburban areas like this its not anticipated one could run into a bear along a multi use trail that attracts many people during the average day. The behavior outlined in the DEEP quote would make the animal seem dog-like, which people unfamiliar with bears would likely treat the same way. Talk in a quiet voice, not turn your back, do not run, etc.

She did not opt to interact with wildlife before the wildlife interacted with her. Being much smaller than the bear, I would imagine she was past frightened and did what she could to mitigate the situation. This woman had as much impact on the bear's behavior as you did, she was simply the last of many interactions this animal had with humans and this one had the presence of mind to film it. In my view she is very lucky all things considered.

Again, geez, I did not blame her for this bear's action, clearly there is history here. I don't know how much clearer I could make this. And everything else you said has us just running around in circles, like a dog chasing its tail, except the interaction part, which I'll address.

We don't really know how this interaction begun, since it started before the recording device was turned on. But for this discussion, let's assume the bear started the interaction. So what? She reciprocated, by just standing there and speaking to it.

You claim that it's a good thing she didn't run off, but that was NOT the only choice (and I think every one here agrees that running away is something that should NOT be done).

She should have (at the least) simply kept walking or possibly not walk up to the situation - remember we don't know how this interaction came to be, it's entirely possible she saw them and changed her route, we just don't know. But I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say the bear started the interaction and she should have not stopped and reciprocated.

One more thing, her actions can't be viewed in a vacuum. Granted this bear has a history, but what about other interactions she may have with less aggressive bears, but still somewhat habituated, her actions here show she is prone to interact with wildlife and thus contribute much more to furthering habituation of other animals, if given the opportunity.

Five Tango
09-01-2015, 12:04
I am curious as to whether or not some animal rights groups ever pay to relocate problem bears?

Tuckahoe
09-01-2015, 12:30
Wondering?

When a bear is euthanized what do they do with the hide and the meat?

Sadly, drugs are usually used which makes the meat unfit for consumption.

Traveler
09-01-2015, 14:41
Again, geez, I did not blame her for this bear's action, clearly there is history here. I don't know how much clearer I could make this. And everything else you said has us just running around in circles, like a dog chasing its tail, except the interaction part, which I'll address.

We don't really know how this interaction begun, since it started before the recording device was turned on. But for this discussion, let's assume the bear started the interaction. So what? She reciprocated, by just standing there and speaking to it.

You claim that it's a good thing she didn't run off, but that was NOT the only choice (and I think every one here agrees that running away is something that should NOT be done).

She should have (at the least) simply kept walking or possibly not walk up to the situation - remember we don't know how this interaction came to be, it's entirely possible she saw them and changed her route, we just don't know. But I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say the bear started the interaction and she should have not stopped and reciprocated.

One more thing, her actions can't be viewed in a vacuum. Granted this bear has a history, but what about other interactions she may have with less aggressive bears, but still somewhat habituated, her actions here show she is prone to interact with wildlife and thus contribute much more to furthering habituation of other animals, if given the opportunity.

Usually, I am one of those, who like you, tends to look at the behavior of people in forest areas that may have provoked or invited bear encounters that turned out bad for the bear. However, in this particular instance I may have more information than you and do not believe the woman did anything worse than drive to the jogging track for a walk.

OK, I will answer your comments as they appeared:

Your initial post claimed she contributed to the bear's habituation, clearly with the information available today that was not the case. However, several folks (not you) have said she should be fined for the ultimate demise of the bear by simply being in the woods at the same time.

Her story of how the event unfolded rings true. She was on a broad, groomed, well traveled jogging/walking trail and while walking was approached by the bear. Some might say she made a mistake in stopping to take its picture. If that is a mistake, most everyone here has made it by taking pictures of nearby animals like bears or moose. I have come across large animals before by happenstance, or had them come upon me and went for the camera as my first reaction. I don't see it as a mistake myself.

I don't claim it would be a bad idea to run. I stated it as fact. You don't run from predatory animals as it can trigger the chase response. Yes there are other things that could have been done, like yelling at the bear. But people who have not dealt with bears are more apt to speak in low, gentle tones as you would to a horse thats acting oddly, or a dog, or cattle. Yelling at large animals most are experienced being near usually doesn't end real well. Unless someone is educated about that, how would they know? The DEEP bear history statement (if you've not seen that, you should) pretty much discounts yelling would have had any effect at all.

You say she should have walked away, but the DEEP statement specifically addressed that. Every time she would turn her back to walk away the bear would advance behind her. That left only one option, to keep facing the bear (perhaps walking backwards?).

Speculation she may have changed her route to start the interaction is meaningless.

Speculation that she may have other bear interactions is amusing, but not really applicable. Yes, she probably is a wildlife lover, aren't we all. I don't see that as material to this event. Now, had she said "I like bears, I feed them all the time at my house", you'd have a point. But thats not been said, nor has anyone inferred that.

Beyond this, the DEEP statement pretty much clears up the issues surrounding this bear and its history. I don't see how the woman did anything wrong other than to be on that trail at the same time the bear was, nor does the DEEP who can be rather critical of people's behavior towards wildlife.

I think that addresses your points fairly directly.

rocketsocks
09-01-2015, 15:32
The bear seems to approach the women sniffing around the lower torso...she may have spotted prompting a investigatory response.

Snowleopard
09-01-2015, 22:55
The aggressive bear is a 1.5 year old male, not a cub. It was engaged in classic testing behavior -- behaving aggressively to see if it can treat her as prey. I've seen video by a bear researcher of this exact behavior with an adolescent grizzly bear; they classified it as predatory behavior. This predatory/testing behavior most often happens with adolescent male bears; I think they're recently pushed out of the mother's territory.

It should absolutely be euthanized.

Here's a neat video a relative shot from a car in Harwinton, CT, which borders Burlington, CT. It's huge and fat but not aggressive and not predatory.

https://www.facebook.com/erin.samela/videos/1157791947580058/

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2015, 17:09
UPDATE: DEEP has euthanized the bear in question along with a second one that exhibited aggressive behavior when encountered by officials during their search.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/2-Bears-Euthanized-After-Encounter-With-Hiker-in-Burlington-323964771.html

Is what it is...

lemon b
09-06-2015, 06:11
Sad. We went to his home town, he did not come to ours. Am surprised he wasn't harvested during legal hunting season. On the fence if the decision to kill was correct or not. One thing is certain I wouldn't have been able to be the executioner.

Traveler
09-06-2015, 07:24
Sad. We went to his home town, he did not come to ours. Am surprised he wasn't harvested during legal hunting season. On the fence if the decision to kill was correct or not. One thing is certain I wouldn't have been able to be the executioner.

Its not legal to hunt or trap bears in CT (with the exception of specific problems like agriculture/livestock protection). There was a proposal for a bear-hunt lottery but that died a few years ago. The bear was known to DEEP for a while, and was relocated at least once. It has a history of following women and apparently getting into homes. The bear was put down last week along with the second bear who charged DEEP Wardens during the process.

August W.
09-06-2015, 07:49

I think the woman who filmed her interaction with the bears should have been required to "be the executioner", or at least been required to be present to witness the process from search to disposal.

Traveler
09-06-2015, 09:00
I think the woman who filmed her interaction with the bears should have been required to "be the executioner", or at least been required to be present to witness the process from search to disposal.

Why? The bear was already well known for its lack of fear of humans and other behaviors.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2015, 11:39

The woman's actions had nothing to do with the decision to kill the bear.

Professional wildlife biologists reviewed the video and determined that this bear was exhibiting predatory behavion throughout the encounter, that is what caused them to believe it was a threat. People in CT call DEEP about bear encounters all the time and it is extremely unusualy for them to take any action, in fact this is the first time I can remember them ever euthenizing a healthy bear. Basically the professionals saw something on the tape that concerned them enough that they decided to make what they knew would be very unpopular decision.

August W.
09-06-2015, 12:09
Why? The bear was already well known for its lack of fear of humans and other behaviors.

I think the experience could have possibly inspired her to learn how to better conduct herself when in the presence of bears.

Traveler
09-06-2015, 12:42
Ah, gotcha. Well I'm sure she feels poorly about the situation she didn't initiate. However, if you do that with her, you will have to do that with the other people who the bear crossed paths with. Not sure the budget can stretch that far.