PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina 3-4 day AT Section Hike Suggestions

IdahoSkies
08-31-2015, 13:13
My brother is living in NC right now. He will be there a for a few years, and then come back out west. My brother-in-law, wife and I want to take the opportunity to come out, visit and hike a section of the AT. I am looking for suggestions.

We are looking at a 3-4 day backpack in or partially in the North Carolina AT section. The entire hike does not need to be on the AT, but 1-3 days would be nice (we'd like to spend at least one night on the AT).

We are all experienced multi-day Rocky Mountain backpackers. (Last year we spent three days above 10,000 feet).

I have checked out some guide books and I'm reading up, but as a long time lurker I thought I might ask for some suggestions from folks who have had boots on the ground.

Our timing is somewhat flexible, but we would like to avoid the muggy heat if we can. We were thinking initially end of March first part of April, or the mid to early part of June.

Thanks.

JohnHuth
08-31-2015, 13:18
I hiked with my son in NC for a stretch on his thru-hike in mid-March. We went from the NOC, past Fontana Dam into the Smokies. It was quite pleasant. Definitely bring a tent, though, the shelters can be very crowded with NOBO's.

The high parts of the Smokies can get some nasty storms in March - even for an experienced backpacker, it's something to take note of.

fredmugs
09-01-2015, 09:12
Numbers of miles per day you want to hike would be valuable information. The Standing Indian loop is like 27 miles and you wouldn't have to worry about a car shuttle.

hikernutcasey
09-01-2015, 09:55
There are numerous different trips you could do in this area. If you are accustomed to hiking in elevation in the Rockies you should be fine for late March early April here but just be aware that a cold snap could bring temps down into the teens in the mountains that time of year along with the threat of snowfall. If you are comfortable with that it would be a far more pleasant time to go than June in my opinion.

As far as sections, as fredmugs said, it would be nice to know your daily mileage average but here are a few that come to mind:

-Winding Stair Gap/US 64 to Nantahala Outdoor Center = 27 miles
Highlights include Siler Bald, Wayah Bald and Wesser fire tower and a cool place to finish at the NOC (maybe you could work in a rafting trip). Also, if you didn't want to stay on the AT the entire time you could do some sort of a loop hike incorporating the Bartram trail.

-Hot Springs to Erwin - 67? miles I think - One of my personal favorite sections - Highlights include firetower (forget the name), Big Bald and Firescald Knob

-Any iteration of hiking through the Roan Highlands would be great and this would be the one trip you might want to consider doing in June due to the blooming fire Azalea and Rhododendrons. The balds up there are incredible.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

IdahoSkies
09-01-2015, 11:01
Here in the Rockies daily mileage is a relative term due to some significant elevation changes on hikes. But generally we are looking at 5-12 miles a day, depending on elevation change. Far enough to see some country, but not so far that we cant enjoy the trip.

IdahoSkies
09-01-2015, 11:03
Due to logistics Loops are preferred over shuttles, but if the hike is good enough we could likely work out a shuttle.

booney_1
09-01-2015, 11:18
Hike from I-40 just north of smokies into hot springs. You will climb max patch...great views. Bluff Mountain is a good outdoor store + shuttle provider in Hot Springs. Park your car in hot springs...take shuttle to I-40 and head North. The AT goes right into Hot Springs.

Or...head North to Southwest Virginia and hike the Grayson Highlands (Mt. Rogers area). There are a number of good loops in this area.
(you need to be prepared for cold weather if you go in march)

Depending on where you are in NC, Grayson Highlands maybe closer than the Asheville area.

hikernutcasey
09-01-2015, 11:32
Due to logistics Loops are preferred over shuttles, but if the hike is good enough we could likely work out a shuttle.If loops are preferable Standing Indian or a loop using the AT and Bartram trail starting and ending at the NOC would be really nice.

Here is a link discussing Standing Indian loop: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/84137-Standing-Indian-Loop

and here's one discussing the Bartram trail: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/83754-Bartram-Appalachian-Trail-Loop

IdahoSkies
12-29-2015, 16:57
Would the Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap be doable in a 2 night three day run or is that asking to much of the terrain?

AO2134
12-29-2015, 17:16
That is about 32 miles. I'd say that is easily doable 3 day hike to the average hiker. You are ridge walking a lot and not many big climbs. There is a climb out of newfound gap and a climb out of low gap that is note worthy. All other climbs are negligible ups and downs (<300 feet) along ridge.

NC Hiker/Angler
12-29-2015, 18:04
If you do Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in GSMNP I think you will mostly likely need to stay in shelters which may or may not be desirable and you will need to get permits.

Depending on where your brother lives in NC, it's worth considering Grayson Highlands/Mount Rogers in Southwest Virginia as another poster has mentioned. It just as close to cities like Charlotte and Winston-Salem and offers lots of open areas and great views (a reprieve from the traditional "green tunnel" of the AT). The Roan Highlands is similar with miles and miles of hiking on grassy balds and expansive views. The Roan Highlands don't offer great loop hike possibilities but there are AT inns/hostels that offer shuttle services.

Gambit McCrae
12-31-2015, 10:47
I hiked with my son in NC for a stretch on his thru-hike in mid-March. We went from the NOC, past Fontana Dam into the Smokies. It was quite pleasant. Definitely bring a tent, though, the shelters can be very crowded with NOBO's.

The high parts of the Smokies can get some nasty storms in March - even for an experienced backpacker, it's something to take note of.

OP please read up on GSMNP guidelines for section hikers if not familiar. They can be found below

GSMNP Backcountry Guidelines (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm)

Gambit McCrae
12-31-2015, 10:49
Would the Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap be doable in a 2 night three day run or is that asking to much of the terrain?

I did it in two days Clingmans to Davenport, but it was a FULL 2 days. And by 2 days it was actually 2 nights 3 days. Last day being 18 miles

IdahoSkies
01-07-2016, 13:14
Another question: what about Iron Mountain Gap to 19e? Is that a doable 3 day 2 night trip? or would we be better off doing Hugh Gap to 19e (Carver to 19e seemed way to short for that length of trip).

HooKooDooKu
01-07-2016, 14:03

If you do Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in GSMNP I think you will mostly likely need to stay in shelters which may or may not be desirable and you will need to get permits.
Camping in GSMNP requires a paid permit.
Because of the type of trip you are planning, you would NOT qualify as a Thru Hiker, therefore, you would be required to get reservations for each shelter you stay at.
Tents and hammocks are not allowed at GSMNP shelters. The exception is for permitted Thru Hikers IF the shelter is full.

I did it in two days Clingmans to Davenport, but it was a FULL 2 days. And by 2 days it was actually 2 nights 3 days. Last day being 18 miles
Doable: Gambit hiked 18 miles the last day because he spent the last night at Tricorner (and likely the night before at Icewater Spring). But to start from Newfound Gap, you can stay at Pecks Corner and Cosby Knob instead.

Newfound Gap to Pecks Corner: 10.8 Miles
Pecks Corner to Cosby Knob: 13.3 Miles
Cosby Knob to Davenport Gap: 9.3 Miles (includes the side trip to Mt Cammerer Lookout - required side trip if you are going to be in the area).
Here's a great profile of the AT thru GSMNP. (http://tnlandforms.us/at/gsmnpat.html)

If you plan to leave a car at the exit point, it would be better to park at the Big Creek Ranger station. Rather than walking the last 1.9 miles of the AT in GSMNP, take the 2.1 mile Chestnut Branch Trail to get to your car at the Ranger station.

Studlintsean
01-07-2016, 14:08
Another question: what about Iron Mountain Gap to 19e? Is that a doable 3 day 2 night trip? or would we be better off doing Hugh Gap to 19e (Carver to 19e seemed way to short for that length of trip).

I did this section as a 3 day (2 night) hike with 3 of my brothers and it was awesome. We did the hike in May. If you send me a PM with an email address I will send you a small trip report I wrote up that outlines some of the logistics and shows some of scenery.

LittleRock
01-08-2016, 09:49

I did Erwin to 19E in 3 days, but it was a LONG 3 days. Also, I was hiking solo and had already been on the trail for 10 days prior to that.

Starting out at Iron Mtn Gap will leave you with the difficult choice of stopping early at the Clyde Smith shelter (6 mi) vs. hiking on to Roan High Knob (14 mi, ending with a difficult 2000' climb) on the first day. There's not much good camping or water in between those two shelters.

Starting at Hughes Gap may be your best bet. Knock out the 2000' climb to Roan High Knob on day 1, head to Overmountain (or if the weather is nice, you could hike a few miles further and camp out on top of Hump Mtn) on day 2, then down to 19E on day 3. If you have extra time, I'd also suggest driving a little further south and doing the day hike from Beauty Spot up to Unaka Mtn and back.

Studlintsean
01-08-2016, 10:22
Starting out at Iron Mtn Gap will leave you with the difficult choice of stopping early at the Clyde Smith shelter (6 mi) vs. hiking on to Roan High Knob (14 mi, ending with a difficult 2000' climb) on the first day. There's not much good camping or water in between those two shelters.

Starting at Hughes Gap may be your best bet. Knock out the 2000' climb to Roan High Knob on day 1, head to Overmountain (or if the weather is nice, you could hike a few miles further and camp out on top of Hump Mtn) on day 2, then down to 19E on day 3. If you have extra time, I'd also suggest driving a little further south and doing the day hike from Beauty Spot up to Unaka Mtn and back.

I took a similar approach a few years ago starting at Iron Mountain Gap. We hiked 12 miles to Ash Gap (water available in a spring down a steep hill to the right of the campsites (check availability)), 9 miles to Over Mountain Shelter, and then 9 miles to 19E. Stopping at Ash Gap left half the climb up Roan Mountain for the following morning.

NotThatOLd
04-20-2016, 21:59
I am planning to do the Iron Mountain Gap to 19E with my step-daughter the second week of May. I would really appreciate your insight about the degree of difficulty for me. I am 56 yr old female, very new to hiking, not in bad shape. I would love to see your trip report and photos. Did you carry bear spray? Thank you.=Jeanne

Heather1027
04-26-2016, 14:57
The most beautiful section on the AT is from Carvers Gap (Roan Mountain) to 19e (even longer if you can do it).
Start at Roan Mountain, TN (it's an hour drive from Boone, NC). Park your car and take one of the shuttles at Mountain Harbor Hostel (it's $40 for a car load and $5 to park your car). They will drop you off at Carvers Gap. Hike to Overmountain Shelter (it's about a 5 mile hike) and camp there. Hike through the next day and set up camp at Doll Flats or somewhere near there. When you hit 19e, come off the path and take a right. Mountain Harbor is .3 miles up the road to your car. It's an amazing weekend trip! Plus if you go in the middle of June, you can see the rhododendrons in bloom!

saltysack
04-26-2016, 21:39
I am planning to do the Iron Mountain Gap to 19E with my step-daughter the second week of May. I would really appreciate your insight about the degree of difficulty for me. I am 56 yr old female, very new to hiking, not in bad shape. I would love to see your trip report and photos. Did you carry bear spray? Thank you.=Jeanne

Climb up Roan was awful in February when I did it but down was tougher as it was solid ice and I didn't have spikes...this time of the year shouldn't be to bad....no need for bear spray....IMO

Southeast
04-26-2016, 22:10
If you finish Carvers to 19E faster than you want, drive by Famous Louises for some pie and then hit Linville Gorge for a night. Another fantastic location in that general area.