PDA

View Full Version : Neoair xlite vs Neoair xtherm?

saltysack
08-31-2015, 13:31
I've been using my xlite for a while now but after getting it replaced due to Mylar delam....I've had nothing but problems....first night I used replacement it leaked...sent back..they said I punctured it....patched it sent back to me...getting ready to head out next week for jmt hike so figured I better make sure it holds air.....blew up firm 8 hours later was soft to touch...glad I checked it...I'm thinking I might ask for xtherm as replacement for year round use...I mostly hike fall-winter & spring on southern AT..I enjoy the solitude of winter weekend treks...is xtherm to hot in 70* weather? Any hotter than that I'm not going!! In past I've used xlite with xlite in winter...curious as to how others like there xtherm???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-31-2015, 13:32
Xlite with zlite...oops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthHikerBoy
09-02-2015, 08:53
I just wanted to bump this thread because I have the same question. Am considering the Xtherm, but am a bit worried that it could be too hot in warm weather. Anyone got experience?

rengler22
09-02-2015, 10:21
I just wanted to bump this thread because I have the same question. Am considering the Xtherm, but am a bit worried that it could be too hot in warm weather. Anyone got experience?

I have an Xtherm that I use year-round. It feels just like any other pad, including ones with a much lower R value. I have several pads from Big Agnes, Thermarest, and Exped, and can say with certainty that it's no hotter than any of the others.

shakey_snake
09-02-2015, 12:11
Am considering the Xtherm, but am a bit worried that it could be too hot in warm weather. Anyone got experience?A pad is not like a sleeping bag. It's job isn't to trap your body heat. It just prevents the ground from conducting the heat out of your body.

Think of it this way: a bag/quilt keeps you warm, a pad prevents you from being cold.

Now, there are certainly nights where it'd feel nice to be cooled by the ground. But a "too much insulated pad" and a "very too much insulated pad" are both going to feel the same in that circumstance.

Venchka
09-02-2015, 12:39

Having just spent 2+ weeks on my Xtherm Large on the carpeted floor of my air conditioned (set at 78F) apartment in the Oven known as Houston, TX, I can say that I slept like a baby. The Xtherm is no different than sleeping on your bed's mattress. Maybe better. :D :cool:

Wayne

Dogwood
09-02-2015, 13:53
"....first night I used replacement it leaked...sent back..they said I punctured it....patched it sent back to me..."

I've been told by Cascade Designs Reps their inflatable pads are pre tested for leaks before being shipped out.

The delamination issues with the X series, mostly in the perpendicular seam pleats, has largely been addressed and remedied by Cascade Designs, IMHO. It was in the beginning production runs of the series, especially the XLites, that the delam issues were most prevalent. Of course, some of the older production runs may still be on some shelves of outfitters that don't move a huge inventory of these inflatable pads. BUT, largely the delam issue has been addressed. Look on your CD pad for model yr and production run number. CD posted production runs and manufacturing yrs stating if you have one of these that may be more prone to delam/seam pleat issues they would swap out for a replacement of the improved remedied production runs. I had to do that once.

Malto
09-02-2015, 15:00
I use a short xlite in warmer weather and a full size in the cold. If I had to use one it would be the xtherm but I got the second because it's lighter, cheaper, and takes less time to blow up. the xtherm is by far the best single pad I have used in the winter.