PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail SC- A trip from Easter.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 17:34
This is from a trip back in April. In early May I had it all typed up and ready to post then a family tragedy happened and it was tossed aside. Now that I am home dreaming about hiking, I decided to post it just in case it can be beneficial for someone. Please note, distances are guestimates based on the resources I had.

Day 1 Oconee SP to Sim's field 11.0 miles-

A long hike rarely goes as planned. Especially on the Foothills trail. Having grown up in the area I have hiked the entire trail in sections but not as a thru hike. In 2012, I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail with two friends. The year leading up to my thru I spent a lot of time on the local trails; with the majority of miles being logged on the Foothills, Table Rock, and Jones Gap trails. A couple months before heading to Georgia the three of us attempted a thru hike of the foothills. On the second day, I injured my Achilles by wearing improperly fitted heavy boots. The other two continued and made it one more day before abandoning the hike, banged up and exhausted from pushing too hard. We learned from our mistakes and went on to have a successful thru of the AT.

After the AT, I immediately had the desire to do a thru of the Foothills. As I recovered from malnutrition and Lyme's disease, I planned and dreamed about the hike. My time to do the hike disappeared as employment, love, and a move to the midlands of SC happened shortly after. The two guys I hiked the AT with also had the same desire but we could never get our schedules worked out so they made a couple attempts on their own. Both ended in disaster.

In January I finally got some dates worked out and the planning began. I had four going but as the start date of Easter Sunday got close things changed. One of the guys dropped out early on. Another dropped out two weeks before but later decided to join us for two days. So that left two of us for the thru hike. Me and my friend Medic, whose name stems from the massive first aid kit he carries. Medic's longest trip up to this point was a 30+ mile section of the Foothills.

On Easter Sunday, we arrived at the Table Rock office shortly after 8:00 am. It was 32 degrees when we arrived and that would be the coldest temp of the trip. We met up with Jim Simpson(a volunteer on the FTC site) and shuttled over to Oconee. I'd highly recommend Jim. He made the shuttle enjoyable.

By 9:30 we were on the trail. Finally! After all the planning and waiting, those first steps felt like such a relief. We made the first day short and easy to break in the hike and also to see where Medic stood healthwise. The week leading up to the hike he had an Upper Respiratory Infection and wasn't back to 100 percent. The miles ticked by quickly and before long we were sitting at Pigpen Falls eating lunch.

After a long lunch, we had our only climb of the day as the trail left the river and climbed up and around Rock Gorge. In this section, we passed several backpackers heading both directions. One group heading the opposite direction was concerned about the forecasted low for the night. They had a rough night the night before at Burrells Ford and were pleased to hear the low was going to be in the low 40's. As this was my first real trip with a hammock setup I was hoping for colder nights to put my 20 degree bags from Enlightened Equipment to the test. But warmer nights were forecasted.

As the trail rejoined the river, we arrived a Sim's field with a few hours of daylight to enjoy. A couple nice campsites are here and we had our pick. We couldn't find a creek or spring nearby so we drank from the Chattooga. It had a very earthy taste but not bad with a drink mix. After enjoying a good fire, I climbed into the hammock and experimented finding a sweet spot. It wasn't long before I was sweating and had to vent the quilts. Enlightened Equipment quilts are toasty! I had to calm my mind from worrying about critters joining me under the tarp and at one point I did hear something below me. For a moment my heart raced but it turned out to be a frog. Eventually the sound of the river lulled me to sleep. I woke up a few times and had to adjust to find the sweet spot again but my first night in the hammock was enjoyable.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 17:42
Day 2 Sim's Field to SC107/Sloan Bridge- 12.9

Rain was forecasted to start after midnight but thankfully we broke camp in overcast conditions. Within a mile, the trail steered away from the river and climbed moderately on its way to Big Bend falls and the junction with Big Bend trail. On this climb, it began a steady drizzle. We passed three college aged females at Big Bend with monster packs. Easily twice the weight we were carrying. They looked miserable but I admired their determination. I remember when I first started out and was carrying that much weight. My eyes stayed glued to the ground and the miles were much tougher then. Now I do more looking around and smiling. There is a balance between lightweight and comfort for everyone; right now, my base weight is hovering around 14 lbs for 3 season backpacking. I don't think I could go much lower and still be as comfortable.

The river came and went on the way to Burrell's Ford. We were treated to many beautiful river views and even a couple new clearings since the last time I walked this stretch. One thing I have never done though is take the spur to Kings Creek Falls. It was well worth it and much bigger than I expected. After a snack we made our way to Burrell's Ford Rd and the climb up to Fish Hatchery Rd. Medic was starting to lose pace with me and I was worried he was starting to struggle so I had him lead the climb after crossing the road. This nearly 4 mile section has always whooped me because I pushed too hard in the beginning so him leading would benefit us both. As we started climbing, the drizzle turned to a light rain. For the first time, I actually had fun on this section. I don't think Medic had as much fun. There seems to be a couple false summits on this climb and as his energy crashed it began to wear on his nerves. The rain got heavier near the top and I knew we had to less than a mile from Fish Hatchery Rd so I took the lead and raced ahead to pitch my tarp at the crossing so we could enjoy a somewhat dry lunch. Medic was dragging when he arrived.

We had lunch and entered one of my favorite sections, Sloan Bridge. I love how this 3.3 mile section winds down through a tunnel of rhododendron, passing a couple waterfalls on its way to Hwy 107. We took it slow in the steady rain, talking every once in a while, but when I got within sight of Hwy 107 I turned around expecting Medic to be right behind me and he wasn't. I waited for 10 minutes and starting walking back. Five minutes later I came across him. He looked pale and said he had gotten very dizzy. We rested at the picnic tables there at the Sloan Bridge parking lot and discussed options. Our plan was to camp on Round Mt. but we opted to camp at a little campsite near the road. After setting up and taking off my new Luke's Ultralight Rain jacket, I noticed that the Coughlan's seam sealer had come off on my clothes. I should have used a better sealer. I was a little damp but not too bad. The moisture was visible under the headlamp and it wasn't long before I started having issues with condensation on the superfly. It was frustrating having water drip on my face but I have dealt with the same issue in tents. I was able to wrap the hammock fabric around me and most of the quilt, blocking most of it. Even though 18 wheelers roared up and down the road most of the night, I had a pretty decent sleep as the sound of rain hitting the tarp drowned out most of it.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 17:45
Day 3 SC107 to Upper Whitewater Falls- 5.5 miles

The rain stopped some time before the sun came up. Medic decided that we should make the 5.5 mile trek to Upper Whitewater Falls and see how he felt. I did a lot of lolly gagging as I lingered behind him. The fog was thick and some stretches of Round Mt had a Sleepy Hollow feel. There are a couple nice dry campsites, one well before the blue blaze and one immediately after. There is also a nice water source less than a mile before the second campsite. The campsite I wanted to stay the night before was a 1/4 mile down the blue blaze. A nice designated site from what I had heard. I thought about checking it out but Medic was starting to have dizzy spells again so I stuck close. We stopped and rested at both sets of benches on top of the mountain, hoping the clouds would break and give us a peek. Medic had never seen the view from these benches but I had. I had hyped it up until that point but the fog remained thick and we eventually made our way down the mountain. Kudos to the Girl Scout that built those benches.

At the NC 281 crossing, Medic was struggling so we made arrangements to get off trail for the rest of the day and see if he could return the next day with a good rest and food. We met our ride at the Upper Whitewater falls parking lot. Later that day, Medic came to the conclusion that a medication he was taking combined with physical activity might be the problem. The next morning, it appeared he was right.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 17:52
Day 4 Upper Whitewater to Dry Ridge past Cobb's Creek- 15.3 miles

After leaving the trail yesterday, we picked up the vehicle from Table Rock so we oould get back to trail early. It turns out a vehicle cannot be left overnight at Upper Whitewater so Medic dropped me off at the parking lot and headed down to Bad Creek where he would take a .7 mile spur to the trail. His trail junction would be 2.8 miles from where I was starting so I figured if he felt good I would catch him just after the climb from Thompson River at 6+ miles. That is, if he felt good.

I made a quick descent to the Whitewater River, eating spider webs all the way. The river was swollen from the past two days rain. An Iron bridge crosses the river on boulders and requires a bit of a scramble to get on to it. With the river up I had to do some rock hopping just to get to the scramble. Once up on the bridge I took a few minutes to appreciate the view in both directions. After crossing the bridge the trail is rugged at first, passing a waterfall from a small bridge, and a fine example of the trail maintenance that goes into this trail. I crossed some newly built steps and bridges that had to be tough to build given the location. Big thank you to all those that make this trail a true pleasure.

Before the junction with the Bad creek spur, the terrain flattens out on both sides with the river running close by. Without the need to watch for roots and rocks, my mind drifted off on a bygone era. This area, along with Sim's field and the Cantrell campsite was once called home by someone or a family. I contemplated on the challenges that would be faced living in places like these in such a time. So many things we take for granted now, would be a big deal then. But, I bet no matter how tough it was, it was worth it.

I took a photo break at the Bad Creek Spur bridge. The clouds were clearing out and it was getting hot. It was forecasted to be mid to upper 80's. Returning to the trail, it wasn't long before sweat was pouring as I left the river and the air became stagnant on the dry ridges. After passing a designated camping area just past the Lower Whitewater trail junction, I nearly stepped on a copperhead sunning on the trail. It never even moved. Medic has a snake bite kit that sent me into a fit of laughter when he showed off his ample first aid supplies on the first day. Wouldn't that be ironic if I needed it now.

Before long I was at the Thompson river. I stepped on the bridge and my feet nearly came out from under me. Slippery as ice! The river was raging under me. Halfway across I stopped to take a photo. I didn't feel safe at all. Like at any moment my feet would fly out and I would careen into the rapids below. I wouldn't stand a chance. I planned to rest longer here but it was giving me the creeps so I got off the bridge, ate a quick snack and made my way up the mountain. The climb was short but steep and I felt my first real burn of the trip. After the climb, the trail intersected a logging road. I was at the 6 mile mark. I let out a "hoot hoot" and a response quickly came. Medic was just around the bend.

When i caught up I tried to ask him if he had any grey poupon but ran out of breath. "Man your face is red," he exclaimed. "That climb was brutal for a minute. It's hot!"

"Really, I didn't think it was bad at all," he replied. I smiled real big because I knew he had to be feeling much better. On the way to Hillard Falls we started a trend for the day and that was to drown our hats at every stream or spring we passed. A few minutes of glory would recede to an oppressive heat. My body is still used to winter temps so 80's felt more like 90's.

We checked out the spur to Hillard Falls. This is a really cool waterfall with a nice swimming hole and has a campsite on the spur. Afterwards, we had a long lunch at a nice campsite .8 mile away at Bear Camp creek. I was starting to feel the effects of dehydration so I started putting down a lot of water and often. From there to Horsepasture river I walked slow and drank often. I knew what awaited us after crossing the river. The Horsepasture river provided us a shaded rock on the river to chill out and enjoy the scenery. The only hiker we would see that day passed by. The climb up from the river starts with a long steep set of stairs followed immediately by a short set and then continues climbing for over a mile. Taking it slow and steady, I was feeling great when we made it our planned campsite 2 1/2 miles later at Bear Gap. Medic was crashing hard and there was a big problem. This valley looked like a disaster area. Trees were down everywhere and most of the remaining trees looked like they could fall at any moment. Medic was so tired he tried to reason that we should take our chances. There was no way I was going to risk it. I couldn't help but think about a childhood memory. Fishing from the shore at Lake Jocassee, I watched in horror as a tree snapped in half with two loud pops and fell directly towards my mother. My father, seeing the same thing on down the shore started screaming for her to run. She dove and the tree missed her by inches. I'll never forget how close to tragedy we came that day.

I convinced him to continue after a good rest and snack. The next three miles would be hell on him. We passed up a camping near Cobb creek because of the same widow maker issue. Medic was either delirious or amazed at the stone bridge and rock overhang at the Cobb creek crossing. He talked about sleeping in the middle of the creek and I think he may have been serious We loaded up on water, knowing we would be camping at a dry area off trail after the climb up on the ridge. The sun had set when we resumed and less than a mile later we spotted a flat spot off trail as it crossed over a ridge. As we set up, Medic noted that there were a bunch of spiders crawling in the leaves. I chalked it up to his delirium. It was 9:30 before we had dinner and hit the sack. I had an odd feeling. I didn't feel tired at all. I felt like I should still be walking. My mind was all over the place. Plus, it was still too hot. I didn't even get the top quilt out. I just wrapped myself in the hammock fabric and with the underquilt loose so I had a draft I finally found a comfort zone. But, I couldn't fall asleep. During the night I heard a couple owls go back and forth, two trees fall from the direction of Cobb creek, and around civil twilight turkeys on both sides of the ridge. I consumed just about all my water which was a good thing.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 17:56
Day 5 Dry Ridge to Virginia Hawkins Falls- 11.6 miles

The lack of sleep was forgotten when the sun began to rise from our ridge top camp. It was a sight to behold. From the hammock, that was a new experience and one that I will remember for a long time. We both only had a few ounces of water so we decided to get moving and eat breakfast at Toxaway river. As we were packing up, Medic pointed out that his knees were covered with bites. Something lit him up for sure. Later he noticed he had bites on his back and the top of his head.

The 3.1 miles to the river was mostly a descent. We loaded up on water at a creek 1.8 miles into the hike and that rejuvenated us both. The Toxaway River bridge is a suspension bridge and fun to cross. After crossing the river, the trail crosses a creek and passes several nice campsites. All equipped with picnic tables and fire rings. One sits right on the creek and that is where we had breakfast. For breakfast was a big bowl of ramen(for the salt) with a shot of olive oil and a honey bun.

Next was Heartbreak Ridge, a climb that included 302 steps ,split into two, with a bench and a view that overlooks Jocassee. Medic's stomach has a rough history on this climb. Taking it slow and steady we made it up and actually had fun doing it. After descending back down 294 steps we refilled our water at Rock creek. There is another nice campsite here. As we were walking by, I heard a slithering coming at me quick and looked down to see the head of a snake coming fast around an oak tree. I leaped forward, maybe even screamed like a little girl, and landed on the other side of the oak. It was only a black snake. About 4 and a half feet long. And it didn't even stick around for photos. My pride was hurt.

All was forgotten though when we started our next climb and the temp started climbing like it did the day before. The next 4+ miles to Laurel Fork Falls is alot of walking on logging roads. I find the stretch after crossing Schoolhouse Rd.(gravel) for the second time to be scenic. We passed up the spur to Jocassee and headed for the campsite above Laurel Fork Falls for a snack break. Our buddy Turtle, whom I thru hiked the AT with, was meeting us at Virginia Hawkins Falls to camp and finish the trail with us. We had a very short rainstorm on our walk there and another one just after arriving but it cleared out for awhile after.

The three of us and Turtle's German Shephered named Zoey had a blast sitting around the campfire. After hitting the sack, it wasn't long before I started to doze off. I heard a critter coming quick and it startled me. I fumbled with the headlamp for a moment then tried to put the light on it but it darted into brush behind my head. I immediately thought, "that crazy Zoey." But that thought was quickly followed by Zoey barking by Turtle's tent 20 feet from my foot end. My mind started racing. Five minutes later it came back, I coughed and stirred in the hammock and it took off. I'll never get sleep if this keeps up. For about 30 minutes I laid there worrying and paranoid. Then I made peace with my mind. I told myself not to worry about bears and hogs with Zoey so close. Of the small critters, the only one that may bother my stuff would be a raccoon but I had everything secured and all my food was up in a tree. And with that thought I drifted off. I was woken by a thunderstorm in the middle of the night. I did a quick check of the tarp and wondered if I would be sleeping with my face covered again but there was no sign of condensation. I fell into a deep sleep like I haven't experienced in quite some time.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 17:59
Day 6 Virginia Hawkins Falls to Table Rock- 18.9 miles

I was startled awake from a deep sleep when Zoey barked near me. I peeked under the tarp and Medic was standing in the middle of camp, staring up at the trees. Something didnt seem right. I got out a few minutes later to retrieve the food bags and discovered that he was having muscle spasms in his lower back and a throbbing headache. Luckily, Turtle's vehicle was only about a mile away up an old logging road. He left shortly after and headed to the hospital.

Turtle and I scarfed down a quick breakfast and headed up the valley, crossing Laurel Fork creek a few times on well constructed bridges. A half mile later we hit the climb out. It begins with several sets of stairs, quickly gaining elevation then eases up before reaching an access road .7 mile later. After the road the next 1.5 is such a gradual climb it feels flat. There were two decent campsites in this stretch. It was also in this stretch when our conversation was interrupted by a shotgun blast close by. I was surprised we didn't spot the turkey hunter it was so loud. I checked for holes then we made a steep descent to Horsepasture Rd as it began a steady light rain. After eating a second breakfast at the parking area, we crossed Hwy 178 and the Eastatoe river and began the climb up the tallest peak in SC, Mt. Sassafras.

This 4.3 mile stretch is split in two by Chimneytop Gap at 1.9 miles. Roughly a half mile before reaching the gap we passed a large campsite sitting well off the trail on the right. It looked like a good site with a fairly reliable water source and a big rock outcrop to explore just down the trail. The rain eased up and we entered the clouds after crossing the gap. When we reached the summit, Turtle said, "it looks like a bomb went off up here." The mountain top had been bulldozed and, in the fog, dead brush covered the landscape like dead on a battlefield. It seemed depressing at first but then the clouds partially opened up on the NC side. Then I started to understand what this view is going to do for SC. When it is cleaned up and the viewing platform is built this is going to be one of South Carolina's key attractions.

When we got to the summit it was 1:40 pm. We got a text from Medic that the doctor said he was having an allergic reaction to the dozens of bites all over him. Spider bites! I guess he wasn't delusional when he was talking about all the spiders at the ridgetop camp.

The rain had quit but when we checked the weather; thunderstorms were forecasted for the evening. We were planning on staying at the John Cantrell campsite a little over a mile away but, as we ate a snack with no water to chase it, we starting entertaining the idea of walking all the way to Table Rock. It was early and I still felt like walking. Zoey had dove into a couple mudholes after Chimneytop and Turtle didn't like the idea of bringing her into his solo tent if a storm did roll in so just like that we were on our way to the end. We filled up on water just after Cantrell campsite(a former homesite with partial chimney and a couple rock chairs).

After leaving the creek we starting losing elevation, leaving the thick rhodendron and entered a forest of hardwoods. The clouds had broken up and the humidity was rocking. By the time we reached Piney Mt. Gap, 2.8 miles from Cantrell we were questioning our decision. I needed a caloric boost and Turtle was complaining of a headache so we looked for a place to rest at the logging road there. Down the road were two rocks that might do but as we approached them the road curved and there was a small camp with two rock chairs. We both kicked back and chowed down. I had one of my backcountry favorites, Fried Spam sandwich with hot sauce.

Back on the trail it was a short drop to an awesome boulderfield and Lighthouse Cave. There are a couple dry campsites in the area. And then we began the steep 1.1 mile climb up Pinnacle. This mile has a couple nice overlooks. Our pace slowed to a crawl. Turtle was starting to feel nauseous. Dark clouds appeared to be headed our way from the west. We heard thunder a couple times way off in the distance but faded out. I began to worry we would get caught on the top in a storm but we made it up and descended to the Bald Mt. overlook with no problems. We took a few minutes on the overlook, a pretty awesome one at that, and I dug out some Ibuprofen for Turtle.

From this point to Table Rock, it is all down hill. A couple times Turtle stepped to the side of the trail and fought back the urge to spew. The closer we got the better he felt as the medicine drowned out his headache. Being so late in the day we didn't see another hiker the entire descent, until we saw Medic who was waiting for us at the Table Rock trail junction a quarter mile from the end. He had cold drinks waiting for us at his truck. Now that is a good friend and hiking buddy! After a couple quick photos it was time to head for a shower and more importantly, Food.

For the beauty and excellent trail maintenance, this trail surprisingly doesn't get that much traffic in many areas. We seen very few hikers. Water is plentiful and the only time I carried more than a liter was when we camped at the dry site. I'd highly recommend this trail to anyone looking for a 4 to 7 day trip or for someone preparing to thru hike the AT. Just watch out for the spiders.

FooFighter'12
08-31-2015, 18:05
Gear reviews-

Warbonnet Superfly Tarp with Dutch Fly's- I couldn't be happier with his tarp. For a tarp with doors, the weight and quality is excellent. The panel pulls were leaking a little water even after seam sealing but it doesn't get anything else wet so it is no worry to me. The condensation issue I had the second night was unavoidable and no fault to the tarp. It kept me dry during the thunderstorm on Night 5 and dried quickly afterward. I would highly recommend this tarp to a friend. Both of my hiking partners on this trip were impressed with it. Using Dutch Fly's make setting it up quick and easy. They are definitely worth the price. I may have to start a collection.

Mountaingoat tarp sleeves- Quality work and hardly any weight. The mesh sleeves speed up the set up and take down, makes dealing with the wind much easier, and include pockets to stuff the suspension. I stuff the tarp into the mesh on the front of my ULA OHM pack with plenty of room to spare. The tarp is the first thing out of the pack and the last thing in. This makes rain easy to deal with. These things are awesome!

Grand Trunk Double Nest with Whoopie's- I've had this hammock since last summer and have hung many many times but never slept in it until this trip. I found it to be comfortable with a diagonal lay and the ridgeline at 83%. The fabric is starting to fray at one of the seams so durability may be an issue but for the price I can't complain. I changed out the factory suspension for Whoopie's and tree straps. Changing the suspension made a huge difference.

Enlightened Equipment Revelation Quilt- I have the 20 degree Revelation. The coldest night I had was the first night at 41 degrees. That was the only night I completely covered up with the quilt and that was very late in the night. With only a 150 weight Icebreaker on I was toasty. The rest of the time I only covered up partially(55 to 64 degrees). I really like the zippered foot box and opening the foot end when it's warm. It lofts really well within a short time. Although I haven't been able to try the quilt in colder temps, I am confident I would be comfortable at the suggested rating.

Enlightened Equipment Revolt Underquilt- This is the 20 degree with a length of 65". The suspension makes the quilt easy to attach to the hammock and adjust while laying. On the coldest night, I did not experience any cold spots and feel comfortable taking it down to its rating. It was a little damp after night two but dried quick and retained its loft. I am 5'11" and this covers me well from shoulders to toes. I love the Revolt!

Luke's Ultralite Silnylon Rain Jacket- At 4.6 ounces, I was excited to put this jacket o the test. I seam sealed it with a cheap sealer(coghlans) and after the first rain the sealer came off and stuck to my clothes. I did get a little damp every time I had to put it on but I need to reseal and give it another chance. I like the white color and it packs really small. This is my first Silnylon jacket and realized that it sticks to bare skin when wet, making it feel cold and clammy. The jury is still out on this one.

Ems wind jacket- I have had this sub 4 ounce jacket for about 6 months and have worn it many times while hiking and kayak fishing. It does a superb job at blocking the wind. I can wear this in a wide range of temps and be comfortable with the right layer underneath. It is very simple, no pockets or any other features besides a full zipper, but is ounce for ounce one of my most valuable pieces of gear.

First Ascent Cloudlayer Fleece- I chose to carry this 12 ounce fleece instead of my down jacket after seeing that rain and warm nights were forecasted. This is a really warm and comfortable fleece. It is really soft and stylish. When it got wet, it dried quickly. It kept me warm during the coldest moments of the trip.

Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 base layer shirt and pants- Mostly worn while sleeping or hanging out around camp. I did hike a couple mornings in the shirt. After 6 days they had very little odor. I am passionate about Icebreaker and wear their base layers for all outdoor activities, working, and lounging around the house. I also wear their socks. Merino base layers are a must for me.

Ula Ohm 2.0 backpack- This pack is awesome. I was able to get all my gear and 6 days of food in it with plenty of room to spare. I began the trip at 25 lbs with food and water. I have fought a nagging shoulder injury ever since thru hiking the AT in 2012. This pack rode well and never once did I feel any pain in the shoulder. The side pockets are huge and easy to reach back and grab a bottle. The mesh pocket on the front seems bottomless. I don't have a single complaint about this pack.

saltysack
10-27-2015, 09:55
Day 6 Virginia Hawkins Falls to Table Rock- 18.9 miles

I was startled awake from a deep sleep when Zoey barked near me. I peeked under the tarp and Medic was standing in the middle of camp, staring up at the trees. Something didnt seem right. I got out a few minutes later to retrieve the food bags and discovered that he was having muscle spasms in his lower back and a throbbing headache. Luckily, Turtle's vehicle was only about a mile away up an old logging road. He left shortly after and headed to the hospital.

Turtle and I scarfed down a quick breakfast and headed up the valley, crossing Laurel Fork creek a few times on well constructed bridges. A half mile later we hit the climb out. It begins with several sets of stairs, quickly gaining elevation then eases up before reaching an access road .7 mile later. After the road the next 1.5 is such a gradual climb it feels flat. There were two decent campsites in this stretch. It was also in this stretch when our conversation was interrupted by a shotgun blast close by. I was surprised we didn't spot the turkey hunter it was so loud. I checked for holes then we made a steep descent to Horsepasture Rd as it began a steady light rain. After eating a second breakfast at the parking area, we crossed Hwy 178 and the Eastatoe river and began the climb up the tallest peak in SC, Mt. Sassafras.

This 4.3 mile stretch is split in two by Chimneytop Gap at 1.9 miles. Roughly a half mile before reaching the gap we passed a large campsite sitting well off the trail on the right. It looked like a good site with a fairly reliable water source and a big rock outcrop to explore just down the trail. The rain eased up and we entered the clouds after crossing the gap. When we reached the summit, Turtle said, "it looks like a bomb went off up here." The mountain top had been bulldozed and, in the fog, dead brush covered the landscape like dead on a battlefield. It seemed depressing at first but then the clouds partially opened up on the NC side. Then I started to understand what this view is going to do for SC. When it is cleaned up and the viewing platform is built this is going to be one of South Carolina's key attractions.

When we got to the summit it was 1:40 pm. We got a text from Medic that the doctor said he was having an allergic reaction to the dozens of bites all over him. Spider bites! I guess he wasn't delusional when he was talking about all the spiders at the ridgetop camp.

The rain had quit but when we checked the weather; thunderstorms were forecasted for the evening. We were planning on staying at the John Cantrell campsite a little over a mile away but, as we ate a snack with no water to chase it, we starting entertaining the idea of walking all the way to Table Rock. It was early and I still felt like walking. Zoey had dove into a couple mudholes after Chimneytop and Turtle didn't like the idea of bringing her into his solo tent if a storm did roll in so just like that we were on our way to the end. We filled up on water just after Cantrell campsite(a former homesite with partial chimney and a couple rock chairs).

After leaving the creek we starting losing elevation, leaving the thick rhodendron and entered a forest of hardwoods. The clouds had broken up and the humidity was rocking. By the time we reached Piney Mt. Gap, 2.8 miles from Cantrell we were questioning our decision. I needed a caloric boost and Turtle was complaining of a headache so we looked for a place to rest at the logging road there. Down the road were two rocks that might do but as we approached them the road curved and there was a small camp with two rock chairs. We both kicked back and chowed down. I had one of my backcountry favorites, Fried Spam sandwich with hot sauce.

Back on the trail it was a short drop to an awesome boulderfield and Lighthouse Cave. There are a couple dry campsites in the area. And then we began the steep 1.1 mile climb up Pinnacle. This mile has a couple nice overlooks. Our pace slowed to a crawl. Turtle was starting to feel nauseous. Dark clouds appeared to be headed our way from the west. We heard thunder a couple times way off in the distance but faded out. I began to worry we would get caught on the top in a storm but we made it up and descended to the Bald Mt. overlook with no problems. We took a few minutes on the overlook, a pretty awesome one at that, and I dug out some Ibuprofen for Turtle.

From this point to Table Rock, it is all down hill. A couple times Turtle stepped to the side of the trail and fought back the urge to spew. The closer we got the better he felt as the medicine drowned out his headache. Being so late in the day we didn't see another hiker the entire descent, until we saw Medic who was waiting for us at the Table Rock trail junction a quarter mile from the end. He had cold drinks waiting for us at his truck. Now that is a good friend and hiking buddy! After a couple quick photos it was time to head for a shower and more importantly, Food.

For the beauty and excellent trail maintenance, this trail surprisingly doesn't get that much traffic in many areas. We seen very few hikers. Water is plentiful and the only time I carried more than a liter was when we camped at the dry site. I'd highly recommend this trail to anyone looking for a 4 to 7 day trip or for someone preparing to thru hike the AT. Just watch out for the spiders.

Thx for the great report...I'm planning to hike this with my 9 yr old in the 6 days between Xmas and New Years.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winger
10-28-2015, 10:12
Excellent report. Thanks. One of my favorite trails and hoping to do it again this year or in the Spring.

wolfpack65
11-05-2015, 09:23
Nice write-up!
I'm definitely doing this one next year, maybe mid- to late April.

Last Call
02-05-2017, 18:09
Has the Foothills trail been re-opened yet?

Bianchi Veloce
02-06-2017, 06:25
good info here

http://foothillstrail.org/

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 12:18
Open. I'll let ya know in full in a few days. Time for another Feb thru.

bigcranky
02-06-2017, 14:44
Luke's Ultralite Silnylon Rain Jacket- At 4.6 ounces, I was excited to put this jacket o the test. I seam sealed it with a cheap sealer(coghlans) and after the first rain the sealer came off and stuck to my clothes.

Is the Coghlans a silicone sealer, or polyurethane? PU will NOT stick to silnylon. I use silicone sealer from the hardware store, thinned quite a bit with paint thinner (stir a loooong time), and use a cheap throwaway brush.

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed your report, thanks for posting it. We talked about thru hiking the FHT over Easter this year, though I think it'll wait another year.

Mr. Bumpy
02-06-2017, 22:02
Open. I'll let ya know in full in a few days. Time for another Feb thru.

I've got a mid-March thru on my calendar. This is my second time and I think I may start at Jones Gap. I'd wish you would post something when you get back. Specifically, if you MUST to do the toad walk detour around Whitewater Falls, or if that is a suggested/optional detour.

Also, I'd like to give an unsolicited recommendation that if you haven't done the Fork Mt. Spur then give it consideration. It adds maybe 5-6 miles and I thought it was much preferred to Medlin Mt. There are several camp spots on Fork Mt plus you go by Ellicott Rock and spend more time next to the Chattooga.

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 22:23
Mr Bumpy, YEAH! Let ya know. FooFighter has me feeling the need for a FT walk about. I will not do a typical end to ender though either. I'll start at Falls Creek Falls TH in Mt Bridge Wilderness if it's open, by Hospital Rock, Rim of the Gap Tr, Pinnacle pass Tr, Natureland Trust Tr, pass Raven Cliff Falls, back down the don't go down steep trail?, across th RC falls bridge, and hike to Oconee. From the FT site it seems the FT is open around Whitewater falls but not the parking Lot or the established campsite area just east of the falls.

Agree the Fork Mt spur is usually my rec and my preferred route since it takes in more milage along the River unless I'm stopping by the fish hatcheryAND for the other reasons you in the know mentioned. :)

Mr. Bumpy
02-06-2017, 22:50
Dogwood. That makes sense. And now my mind is wandering... Have you ever done the Bartram Trail from the Chattooga on around and up to Scaly Mt. or Franklin or thereabouts?

Dogwood
02-06-2017, 23:04
Dogwood. That makes sense. And now my mind is wandering... Have you ever done the Bartram Trail from the Chattooga on around and up to Scaly Mt. or Franklin or thereabouts?

Yup. It's another good ending instead of Oconee SP. There's a road walk though to connect to the rest of the Bartram. However, there may be a wooded trail alternate that I haven't yet hiked. I think Cam "Swami" did this on his Southeastern Horseshoe. Pull the hike details up at his aptly named website The Hiking Life. I've been trying to get hiker's minds out of the AT ONLY rut in the mud mindset involving this type of expanded thinking as yours for several yrs. Took Swami, not even from the U.S. or southeast, to creatively pull off a southeastern linked route that;s existed for many yrs. Keep saying there's a large interconnected generous scenic largely uncrowded minimal gov't red tape TRAIL SYSTEM in the east that few avail themselves. The likes of Nimblewill Nomad knows it. A few others too.

Dogwood
02-17-2017, 23:07
Has the Foothills trail been re-opened yet?

I've got a mid-March thru on my calendar. This is my second time and I think I may start at Jones Gap. I'd wish you would post something when you get back. Specifically, if you MUST to do the toad walk detour around Whitewater Falls, or if that is a suggested/optional detour.

Also, I'd like to give an unsolicited recommendation that if you haven't done the Fork Mt. Spur then give it consideration. It adds maybe 5-6 miles and I thought it was much preferred to Medlin Mt. There are several camp spots on Fork Mt plus you go by Ellicott Rock and spend more time next to the Chattooga.

You do not need to do a road walk alternate through the gated(open 6 am -6 pm) Duke Energy Property on Bad Creek Road(2.1 miles) to the Bad Creek TH despite old signage that needs to be removed at the FT TH at Oconee SP stating otherwise this is needed. This is from the Oconee SP Ranger's mouth and previously conformed a night before as I hiked through there. The non camping Whitewater corridor FT segment, pedestrian bridge across Thompson River, and the strenuous climb up out towards O SP was open. The Upper Whitewater Falls Parking Lot including the bathrooms are locked, signed, and gated. Where the FT crosses NC HWY 281 just north of the SC/NC border the trail is open.A large gravel lot here is open. The lower overlook to the UPPER Whitewater Falls is closed. The short steep stair segment short curt from this site to the FT is closed by snow fence. In short, just continue your FT hike as you would but not going to this overlook. Although a rather contained small fire the steps to the popular overlook are gone hence the closures.

Lower Whitewater Falls overlook deck is fine off a different blue blazed spur and away from anything at the UPPER Whitewater Falls area. There's a great view here! It's very near a designated campsite too. https://www.romanticasheville.com/whitewater_falls.htm

The FT between Sassafras Mt(great 360* view!) at the Sate High Pointers bench and Table Rock SP is open. I however did not hike this segment since I started in Mt Bridge Wilderness as far east as I could get at Jones Gap SP at the Falls Creek Falls TH hing west/towards O SP.

Despite obvious lower water volumes at Ravens Cliff Falls, Rock Crk, Toxaway, Horsepasture(lowest I've ever seen), and Chatooga(saw the bottom everywhere, lowest I've ever seen) never had drinking water issues or totally dry waterfalls.

FT proper between TR SP and O SO is currently signed according to AT standards. Easy to follow. However, the blue blazed spur between Ceasar's Head SP and Sassafras Mt is lacking blue blazes. This spur was the site of a larger fire on the south Greenville SC Water Supply Property /red blazes FT side where the FT was the primary fire fighting line. Might need a little wandering finding blue blazes but the route is not hard when having the FTC map and FTC guidebook. Fire on one side of the trail, which was basically a cooler under story fire(big trees are fine, Rhodies and most of the Mt Laurels should leaf back out) and other side is green.

Mr Bumpy, YEAH! Let ya know. FooFighter has me feeling the need for a FT walk about. I will not do a typical end to ender though either. I'll start at Falls Creek Falls TH in Mt Bridge Wilderness if it's open, by Hospital Rock, Rim of the Gap Tr, Pinnacle pass Tr, Natureland Trust Tr, pass Raven Cliff Falls, back down the don't go down steep trail?(Dismal Tr), across the RC Falls bridge, and hike to Oconee.

From the FT site it seems the FT is open around Whitewater falls but not the parking Lot or the established campsite area just east of the falls.

Agree the (North) Fork Mt spur is usually my rec and my preferred route since it takes in more mileage along the River unless I'm stopping by the fish hatchery AND for the other reasons you in the know mentioned. https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Did the FT to the Fish Hatchery Rd/Walhalla Hatchery TH. Walked down to the hatchery on the curving road. Picked up the East Fork Tr through the Walhalla Fish Hatchery picnic area near the nicely constructed and maintained roofed picnic shelter with fireplace down to the Chatooga River where there's a large nice flat campsite area. This could be a good spot to base camp from up to Ellicott Rock and/or do some fishing. This is a nice FT alternate. Liked seeing the 12 lb Brown trout at the hatchery.

saltysack
02-22-2017, 12:20
You do not need to do a road walk alternate through the gated(open 6 am -6 pm) Duke Energy Property on Bad Creek Road(2.1 miles) to the Bad Creek TH despite old signage that needs to be removed at the FT TH at Oconee SP stating otherwise this is needed. This is from the Oconee SP Ranger's mouth and previously conformed a night before as I hiked through there. The non camping Whitewater corridor FT segment, pedestrian bridge across Thompson River, and the strenuous climb up out towards O SP was open. The Upper Whitewater Falls Parking Lot including the bathrooms are locked, signed, and gated. Where the FT crosses NC HWY 281 just north of the SC/NC border the trail is open.A large gravel lot here is open. The lower overlook to the UPPER Whitewater Falls is closed. The short steep stair segment short curt from this site to the FT is closed by snow fence. In short, just continue your FT hike as you would but not going to this overlook. Although a rather contained small fire the steps to the popular overlook are gone hence the closures.

Lower Whitewater Falls overlook deck is fine off a different blue blazed spur and away from anything at the UPPER Whitewater Falls area. There's a great view here! It's very near a designated campsite too. https://www.romanticasheville.com/whitewater_falls.htm

The FT between Sassafras Mt(great 360* view!) at the Sate High Pointers bench and Table Rock SP is open. I however did not hike this segment since I started in Mt Bridge Wilderness as far east as I could get at Jones Gap SP at the Falls Creek Falls TH hing west/towards O SP.

Despite obvious lower water volumes at Ravens Cliff Falls, Rock Crk, Toxaway, Horsepasture(lowest I've ever seen), and Chatooga(saw the bottom everywhere, lowest I've ever seen) never had drinking water issues or totally dry waterfalls.

FT proper between TR SP and O SO is currently signed according to AT standards. Easy to follow. However, the blue blazed spur between Ceasar's Head SP and Sassafras Mt is lacking blue blazes. This spur was the site of a larger fire on the south Greenville SC Water Supply Property /red blazes FT side where the FT was the primary fire fighting line. Might need a little wandering finding blue blazes but the route is not hard when having the FTC map and FTC guidebook. Fire on one side of the trail, which was basically a cooler under story fire(big trees are fine, Rhodies and most of the Mt Laurels should leaf back out) and other side is green.

Did the FT to the Fish Hatchery Rd/Walhalla Hatchery TH. Walked down to the hatchery on the curving road. Picked up the East Fork Tr through the Walhalla Fish Hatchery picnic area near the nicely constructed and maintained roofed picnic shelter with fireplace down to the Chatooga River where there's a large nice flat campsite area. This could be a good spot to base camp from up to Ellicott Rock and/or do some fishing. This is a nice FT alternate. Liked seeing the 12 lb Brown trout at the hatchery.

12lb brown trout! You must have held it a few week![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Bumpy
02-22-2017, 12:55
Thanks Dogwood. I am up in two weeks. I called Caesar's Head the other day and the trail is open from there to Sassafras, so I'm thinking of starting from there or from Jone's Gap.

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 14:59
No problem Mr Bumpy. I actually looked around more at Whitewater Falls Overlook than absolutely needed because you had asked. You were on my mind as I did it.

Have you ever seen Raven's Cliff Falls?

Mind you that from about a 1/2 mile west of Watson Cooper Preserve/Matthews Crk crossing the fire begins. Go back and read what I stated about that. There's a good CS at a bend in the FS road where the blue blazes head off into the woods after walking the FS road at about .3-.4 miles past the rock overlook on your right as you head west of the East French Broad River Valley(great view, used to be a CS across the road that got burnt here). this is NOT on Greenville SC No Trespassing Watershed property even though it's on teh same side of the FS Rd with a water source behind it coming from a spring. Look for the faint trails and fire rings. Just don't camp behind teh red blazes; it's burnt there anyway.

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 15:01
A Foothills Tr hike can include some fishing! Horsepasture, Toxaway, and Chatooga Rivers were the lowest I've ever seen.

Dogwood
02-22-2017, 15:03
At that CS Mr Bumpy I aways sleep under a med size flowering native tree. What type of tree do you think it is? :D