PDA

View Full Version : March 7, 2016 ride from Gainesville, GA to AT trail head

LibertyBell
09-01-2015, 12:21
I am flying into Atlanta, GA on 03/06/16 and catching the train north to Gainesville. Arriving in Gainesville at 9 PM and staying at a local hotel that night, not sure which one yet. Looking for a ride to the trail on the morning of the 7th. Retiring in 2 months from today. Turned the big 50 today. Can't wait to take my first step on the trail. Bright Side :sun

Charlie D
09-01-2015, 15:11
May I suggest an alternate plan? Check into the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. They will pick you up at the North Springs Marta station, give you a place to sleep that night then take you either to the AT trailhead or Amicalola SP for a package deal of $80.00. A shuttle from Gainsville would cost you that much (or more).

LibertyBell
09-03-2015, 10:55
I was going to do that but they will not pick up that late. That was my original plan but like hiking, you have to be flexible. I have a train ticket to Gainesville already but again, arriving at 9PM. I have heard their Hiker Hostel is top notch and would like to stay but my arrival times just don't work. So now I am looking for a ride to the trail on the 7th. Thank for the reply though. Bright Side

MuddyWaters
09-03-2015, 21:43
Take taxi from gainsville to hiker hostel, should be $60. Hiker hostel would have charged 40.
Stay at hiker hostel, $18
Next morning you will probably share shuttle ride and it will be cheap. My shuttle to amicalola was $7 after prorating.

Overall, prob not more than hotel in gainesville.

LibertyBell
09-04-2015, 12:41
Thanks for the info. I sent the Hiker Hostel a reservation request for the night of March 6th and to inquire if a later arrival would be OK. I would much rather give my business to the people who go out of their way to help the AT community.

"worry does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength."----Corrie Ten Boom