PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Outlet & The End of The UL Down Parka

Chair-man
09-01-2015, 18:31
Apparently, Montbell has discontinued their UL Down series of jackets, parkas & pants. The good news is they can be had at a reduced rate on their outlet section on their website. (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=20&gen_cd=1&fo_flg=1)

I contacted Montbell customer service and asked if the items in the outlet section were items that were returned by customers. The rep told me they were not & that the items were discontinued items.

I'd been eyeing the UL down parka for some time & now that the price was right I picked one up. Even got the color I wanted. It's in the mail. If there's an issue with it I'll let you know.

Keep in mind outlet items can be exchanged for other items but can't be returned for a full refund.

Studlintsean
09-01-2015, 22:15
I have picked up an Ex light down jacket and Alpine lite down jacket in the past from their outlet and have been happy with both.

Franco
09-08-2015, 18:25
Uniqlo has some very light down jackets and vests similar to the Montbell offerings.
There is a US online store now :
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/outerwear-and-blazers/ultra-light-down.html

Chair-man
09-09-2015, 19:24
I received my Montbell UL Down Parka in the mail the other day. I'm very pleased. The parka has 2 draw strings on the hood and a Velcro adjustment on top of the hood and a drawstring in the hem. I also got a pair of UL Down Pants. The pants run a little long. Both item were factory new.

Uniqlo has some very light down jackets and vests similar to the Montbell offerings.
There is a US online store now :
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/outerwear-and-blazers/ultra-light-down.html

I really don't want to get into another Montbell vs Uniqlo. I did have a good debate with Mags on another thread and I'll leave it there.

Mags
09-09-2015, 20:22
I

I really don't want to get into another Montbell vs Uniqlo. I did have a good debate with Mags on another thread and I'll leave it there.

good debate?

IIRC, one of us actually owned, used and was able to compare both pices of gear in the field and speak from experience. The other did, and has, not. ;)

Chair-man
09-09-2015, 21:04
good debate?

IIRC, one of us actually owned, used and was able to compare both pices of gear in the field and speak from experience. The other did, and has, not. ;)

Mags, how are ya? Here we go again. I actually owned the Montbell UL Down Vest for a few years now so I was familiar with Montbell just not the parka.

Mags
09-09-2015, 23:58
just not the parka.

Indeed! :D

Next up, I am going to give a review on the Chevy Colorado as I once owned an S-10 a few years ago. ;) And then I'll follow that with a review on a Ford Ranger, and comparison to the S-10 and say which one is better, even though I never owned or driven a Ranger..but hey, I can read it about online from others and quote Car and Driver with the best of them.

Love, hugs and kisses!

Paul

Chair-man
09-10-2015, 04:19
Indeed! :D

Next up, I am going to give a review on the Chevy Colorado as I once owned an S-10 a few years ago. And then I'll follow that with a review on a Ford Ranger, and comparison to the S-10 and say which one is better, even though I never owned or driven a Ranger..but hey, I can read it about online from others and quote Car and Driver with the best of them.

Love, hugs and kisses!

Paul

Mags, Mags Mags, you don't have to own a Montbell or Uniqlo down product to know what the specifications are. Montbell is very clear about their specifications. They use quality 800 fill and LIST THE FILL WEIGHT in their products. On the other hand Uniqlo uses some cheap down and as you recall when I called Uniqlo they couldn't even tell me how much cheap down they put in their product.

I still think Uniqlo is a OK product for what you pay but the only thing similar to Montbell is that they're both jackets and that's where the similarity ends. :) Have a wonderful day.

Franco
09-10-2015, 07:18
Chair-Man
of course I had no idea of your personal feuding and really I could not care less.
My post wasn't meant to inform you, after all you have just purchased that Montbell thingo, it was for general information.
As a matter of fact I have neither brand but if nothing else I know what they look and feel like.

Casey & Gina
09-10-2015, 08:28

Mags, Mags Mags, you don't have to own a Montbell or Uniqlo down product to know what the specifications are. Montbell is very clear about their specifications. They use quality 800 fill and LIST THE FILL WEIGHT in their products. On the other hand Uniqlo uses some cheap down and as you recall when I called Uniqlo they couldn't even tell me how much cheap down they put in their product.

Could have fooled me!

Borah Gear seems another good option to consider, I will stick with the Patagonias I already have...

gregpphoto
09-10-2015, 08:36
I must be missing something because theres maybe one down jackets on that outlet link, its all synthetics :(

Chair-man
09-10-2015, 09:43
Could have fooled me!

I know. I kinda got pulled into it.

If anyone cares this is the old thread where Uniqlo was discussed. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/106619-Low-Cost-Down-Jackets?highlight=Uniqlo+montbell) I swear I'm done now. I swear:)

Googan
09-12-2015, 00:56
which weight should i get for a march 15th start nobo for the at?

Chair-man
09-12-2015, 17:06

I leaving about the same time 2016. Just 6 months to go whoo hooo:jump.

Here's my set up. I have a 30 degree down bag. I know that's not really ideal but I plan to make up for it with the UL down pants and down socks I got. I have a light long sleeve wool tee, light fleece, ul down vest and a ul down parka. It's called layering. I plan to keep a close eye on the weather and if it's going to get below 20 I'm headed for a hostel.

Casey & Gina
09-12-2015, 20:55
I leaving about the same time 2016. Just 6 months to go whoo hooo:jump.

Here's my set up. I have a 30 degree down bag. I know that's not really ideal but I plan to make up for it with the UL down pants and down socks I got. I have a light long sleeve wool tee, light fleece, ul down vest and a ul down parka. It's called layering. I plan to keep a close eye on the weather and if it's going to get below 20 I'm headed for a hostel.

I am considering a lighter-weight bag which does not have any down on the bottom, so is basically a quilt with a sheet of nylon going underneath. It also has a little less down on the top and thus a less ideal temperature rating than my current bags, but is less than half the weight. My other concern with this style is that I don't like air mattresses and will be using a closed-cell Ridgerest which has a lower amount of insulation on the bottom. That said, I sweat in my current bags a lot of the time, and plan to do as you are when it is cold with a down jacket and pants, plus a wool base layer and socks.

I did not know about down socks, and just discovered GooseFeet Gear. I will definitely have to add these to my gear too!

bigcranky
09-13-2015, 08:45

The Montbell Alpine Light Parka. It can be quite cold in mid-March, especially at higher elevations, and stay that way through April.

To the OP, thanks for the heads-up, I didn't get any more down stuff, but I did find a nice price to replace the Montbell wool t-shirts which I have worn ragged. I love those things.

Beuhler
09-13-2015, 16:57
Almost bought a pair of their down pants at the store in Boulder before my hike this past week. Decided against it and regretted it when the temps started dropping. May still try and kick up a pair in the web.