PDA

View Full Version : Pad Questions

garebear22
09-01-2015, 22:14
So I currently have a Thermarest Prolite Plus as my sleeping pad, and I like it, but it weighs 28 ounces. So I was thinking about springing for an XLite for my thru-hike in the spring, since it weighs a lot less and it would be nice to have that savings in weight and packability. Is this a good call?

Sidenote: does anyone want a rather gently used Prolite Plus?

bigcranky
09-02-2015, 07:52
I have a Prolite 4 (precursor to the Prolite Plus) and used it for ten+ years. Great pad, but on the heavy side these days.

To cut weight for our LT hike last summer, I got a 3/4 length version -- saves 8 ounces, right? Worked fine the first fiew nights in our tent, then we stayed at the Stratton Pond shelter and I was freaking miserable -- a hard shelter bunk with a 3/4 pad is not fun, especially for tall people.

That's when I noticed that every other hiker -- all of them AT thru hikers -- was using a full length NeoAir pad. Hmmm, 1500+ miles of experience = everyone has a NeoAir. So I bought one in Manchester Center at the wonderful Mountain Goat Outfitter and used it very happily the rest of the hike, and every hike since.

So yeah, it's a good call :)

The big choice is between the regular NeoAir and the XTherm. My wife has the Xtherm, since she is always cold, and she's used it well into the fall with good results. The regular NeoAir is really a warm weather pad -- when I go in the winter I will take my Prolite 4. (So you might want to keep yours.)

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 07:58
Good things out of the Neoair. I personally use the Exped synmat 7 and will never use another pad. I'm 220 lbs and never bottom out sleeping on my side on it.

Heliotrope
09-02-2015, 08:27
Sent my neo air xlite right back. Too narrow. Short versions tapers too much for 6' guy. Feel if fabric unpleasant. Enter the sea to summit ultralight pad. The short version is 5'6" and it is wider so my arms stay on when I'm on my back. I have the uninsulated version which is 11.5 oz. the texture of material is much nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
09-02-2015, 12:40
I would be very uncomfortable on a "short" (3/4) length NeoAir - it's so thick that there would be a substantial drop at my hips.

All those thru-hikers had full-length NeoAirs. A good night's sleep is important.

Namtrag
09-02-2015, 13:59
The husband and wife thru hikers we ran into had the klymit static v uninsulated pad. Said it was bombproof.

v1k1ng1001
09-16-2015, 11:44
I have a static V luxe insulated pad and it's luxurious!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Studlintsean
09-16-2015, 12:52
I have the NeoAir All Season for Spring Winter and Fall and a CCF pad for summer. It is 7 oz heavier (12 vs 19) than the XLite but also an R Value of 1.7 greater (3.2 vs 4.9). I am considering an Xlite for summer use in the future though (depending how much Grad school keeps me off the trail).

Another Kevin
09-16-2015, 13:42
I still carry my ProLite. I guess I'm just a clueless weekender. But I get a good night's sleep.

Scotch65
09-24-2015, 10:29
I just got a exped Hyperlite Long / Wide. Only 15.7 oz. have only tried it out on the basement floor but i really like the feel of it. Will see in a few weeks if it is going to be as good as I think.

Odd Man Out
09-24-2015, 10:45
I just got a exped Hyperlite Long / Wide. Only 15.7 oz. have only tried it out on the basement floor but i really like the feel of it. Will see in a few weeks if it is going to be as good as I think.

I see that the Exped Hyperlite also comes in a wide/regular length (72 x 25.6 inches). I have shopped a lot looking for lightweight wide pads that are not also 78 inches long. Until recently, nearly all lightweight pads that are extra wide are also extra long. I think there are lots of people who are not over 6' tall who would like a wider pad and don't want to carry the extra weight of an extra long pad. I'm glad to see someone is starting to figure that out. I got the Static V (72 x 23 inches) which I will stick with for now, but would like to have more options next time I am in the market.

Venchka
09-24-2015, 11:31
I'm not over 6-0" tall, 5'-8" to be precise. My NeoAir Xtherm Large is 5" wider, 5" longer & 5 ounces heavier than the Xtherm Regular. I guarantee you that less than 1 of those extra ounces is in the extra 5" at the foot. Get over the idea that the Wide & Long Xtherm would be significantly lighter than a Wide Regular Xtherm/Xlite.
Approaching 2 straight months sleeping on my Xtherm with the Exped Air Pillow on the floor of my apartment. I may not go back to my bed.
Not falling off the edge of the Xtherm Large...Priceless.

Wayne