PDA

View Full Version : Favorite backpack

deerdog
09-02-2015, 08:51
Please list your favorite overnight/hiking backpack with a reason why you like it best.

HooKooDooKu
09-02-2015, 09:13
I like/own the REI Flash 62 because it has the capacity of larger packs, but still light weight. There just isn't many (or any other) 3lb packs designed to carry the amount of gear this one carries (60L+ 35-45lbs of gear). Most packs that size are 4lb to 5lb.

Ladytrekker
09-02-2015, 09:23
ULA Circuit light and easy sold all my other ones after using it. http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

Odd Man Out
09-02-2015, 09:37
Elemental Horizons Kalais

Fits like a glove, Lg size is under 2 lbs, yet still holds 53 L and carries 35 lbs (according to specs). Comparable to the better know ULA packs, but lighter weight. Great hip belt and frame to transfer weight (essentially no weight on shoulders).

Venchka
09-02-2015, 15:16
This won't help, but my favorite backpack is...
...both of them! For different jobs.

The Original Jensen (http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/jensen-packs/) pack. 3,105 cubic inch. 2 1/2 pounds. Frame less. Bombproof. Load carrying goodness.
The Original Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Aluminum/carbon fiber internal frame. Best exterior pockets ever. Several pounds of bombproof load hauling perfection.

Wayne

daddytwosticks
09-02-2015, 15:20
Osprey Exos 46. Comfortable, lightweight, and cool (literally). :)

Vegan Packer
09-02-2015, 15:31
I have a ULA Epic (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/epic.htm). I like that the bag is a real waterproof, not just water resistant, bag (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Big+River+Dry+Bag&o1=0&o2=0&o3=362-36). I also like that I can change the bag for different trips. I have a 65L and 35L bag. If I ever somehow managed to punch a hole in the bag, I can just replace it for $50 or less, but the rest of the pack goes on to live another day. Holds up to 40 pounds.

Turk6177
09-02-2015, 18:11
ULA catalyst: Pros-very roomy, light, well made, made in USA, comfortable, eventually feels like second skin. Con: Side pockets are great at holding platypus bags, but can be a little hard to pull them out. I use the front elastic straps to strap down a 20 oz gatorade bottle to drink while I am hiking. I fill that from the platy's I keep in the side pockets.
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH ULA.

misprof
09-02-2015, 19:06
Depends on how long the trip. Longer trips my ULA Circuit the most comfortable pack with a hip belt I have ever pit on. Overnight stuff my Jansport 32L super comfortable.

archie
09-02-2015, 19:24
Another Elemental Horizons fan here. I own, use and love my Kalais. I love the fit and the hip belt/ stay system. Transfers weight better than any other I have used and is very comfortable for me. I also like the compression system as this makes the pack versatile enough to use on overnighters or longer trips.

That's a lot of positives in a sub 2 lb. pack.

ctp631
09-03-2015, 05:53
I love my Snugpak RocketPak. It can go from a 2400 cubic inch pack to a 4200 cubic inch pack by adding on the side pockets. It has 2 built-in camo rain covers, side mesh pockets, an internal pocket for a water reservoir, has 2 lid pockets and has bungee cord on the front to strap clothing. The internal metal T-frame can be easily taken out to reduce weight for day hikes or overnight hikes if you pack light.

Connie
09-03-2015, 06:41
I have been backpacking UL since I got my Hammock Gear Burrow 20 sleeping quilt, and, Cascade Designs XTherm that keeps down pack volume. Now, my favorite pack is HMG Black Summit. It is cuben laminate and roll-top waterproof.

Before that, I found a 40-liter backpack was sufficient for LW backpacking. My favorite, then, is my Timbuk2 Especial Tres 2014 built-tough to withstand brushcrashing or whatever. It is not the most LW backpack, however it is roll-top waterproof.

Before much longer, I will add a LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover to keep rain water off the gap between my back and the backoack and keep rain water off the shoulder straps.

AtWokman
09-03-2015, 08:16
Old army pack...ouch.
I need a new pack.

I was never even in the army.

mankind117
09-03-2015, 08:57
My two favorite packs
1. The Elemental Horizon Kalais, I have a size large. Perfect pack for lighter loads. I use it for short summer and warmer weather trips. It is probably the most comfortable pack I have used for loads around to around 20 pounds and I have used quite a few.
2. When I need more space like in winter or need to carry more than 3 days worth of food my other favourite pack is the Seek Outside unaweep (http://store.seekoutside.com/pack-system-builder-unaweep/). Very comfortable and outstanding load transfer.

SteelCut
09-03-2015, 09:27
HMG Windrider 3400. But it is beginning to seem too large for me now that I've really refined my gear. I may downsize to the 2400 when the funds allow.

bigcranky
09-03-2015, 09:30
ULA Circuit for an all-around pack. We've owned three of them. Mine finally wore out, so I replaced it with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which I also like, but I haven't used it enough to be my "favorite" yet.

RED-DOG
09-03-2015, 09:35
Mountain Hardwear Dirrettsima 46, once i started using this one all my other ones stay in the closet.

Kenai
09-03-2015, 11:52
This won't help, but my favorite backpack is...
...both of them! For different jobs.

The Original Jensen (http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/jensen-packs/) pack. 3,105 cubic inch. 2 1/2 pounds. Frame less. Bombproof. Load carrying goodness.
The Original Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Aluminum/carbon fiber internal frame. Best exterior pockets ever. Several pounds of bombproof load hauling perfection.

Wayne

I was checking out the Giant Jensen. Corduroy and leather with metal steel buckles at 2 lbs 7 ounces. Looks like it would last a lifetime. How does it work for you in wet conditions, and how is their rain cover? I have an old Jansport with a leather bottom on it that I have been using for over 20 years, on fly-out trips in the Alaskan bush. It has been thrown in the back of more planes, and baggage carousels than I can count. Can't destroy the thing, but I and not covering a lot of miles with it. I am gonna start out with an Osprey for my thru hike plans but I think that would be a great pack for other outdoor pursuits.

deerdog
09-03-2015, 13:19
My favorite pack is my ULA Circuit. However I am trying an Atmos 65. We shall see if the Osprey will take the top spot or not!

Another Kevin
09-03-2015, 13:30
I kind of like my Granite Gear Crown VC 60.

But that's on my back. Your back is no doubt different. The key attributes are "fits all your stuff" and "carries OK." For some, that's some little Cuben Fiber thing that looks like a cross between a plastic grocery bag and a day pack for a kindergartener. For others, nothing less than a big, heavy Gregory, with its cushy suspension, will serve.

Venchka
09-03-2015, 14:23
I was checking out the Giant Jensen. Corduroy and leather with metal steel buckles at 2 lbs 7 ounces. Looks like it would last a lifetime. How does it work for you in wet conditions, and how is their rain cover? I have an old Jansport with a leather bottom on it that I have been using for over 20 years, on fly-out trips in the Alaskan bush. It has been thrown in the back of more planes, and baggage carousels than I can count. Can't destroy the thing, but I and not covering a lot of miles with it. I am gonna start out with an Osprey for my thru hike plans but I think that would be a great pack for other outdoor pursuits.

Honestly, I've never encountered rain with the Jensen. Knock on tree trunks! However, as a confirmed poncho user I don't worry about packs getting wet in the rain.
Rivendell makes a rain liner for the Jensen packs. I'm not so sure that trash bags or dry sacks wouldn't do as well or better. I bought a 15 liter dry sack to use my winter bag inside one of the vertical columns in the body of my Jensen. The bag is too big to fit in the standard size sleeping bag compartment. Yes, I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Giant when I had the chance. I did buy the external pockets. Glad I did! I love them. When I look at new packs without real outside pockets I just shake my head and walk away.
Bottom line: The Rivendell Jensen Packs are BULLETPROOF! The improvements made in the new versions address the few shortcomings in my original pack. I may have to buy a Giant Jensen for my winter sleeping bag and extra gear.
Caution: As you might guess, the back panel can be quite hot in the summer. I actually sweated through to the sleeping bag when I first used it. A trash bag takes care of that problem now. The new models have a vapor barrier built in.
I bought a 2 1/2 pound frame less backpack in 1974. Ultralight in the Dark Ages. Who knew that I was starting a trend? :cool:

I still have an L.L. Bean leather bottom book bag that my daughter used from 6th grade through graduating from Ole Miss. I can't kill it. Even if I did manage to kill it, Mr. Bean would fix or replace it. New stuff isn't always better. Just the opposite in many cases. Buy quality once!
Good luck on your hike!

Wayne

Harmless
09-03-2015, 15:34
Jansport D3. We went through hell together (http://kleinfelter.com/content/my-bear-story) when I was 19, I sewed it back up, and it's been with me for 37 years. I still pull it out when I have a big load to carry.

Otherwise, I use an Osprey which is sized for the load I'm carrying. They are convenient, and the different models are enough alike that I don't have to think about whether I'm carrying the 65 or the 45.

Namtrag
09-03-2015, 16:44
My favorite one is the one I bought most recently. lol

bigcranky
09-03-2015, 21:22
ULA Circuit for an all-around pack. We've owned three of them. Mine finally wore out, so I replaced it with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which I also like, but I haven't used it enough to be my "favorite" yet.

Sorry, you did ask for an explanation of why.

Circuit: well built, light weight (35 ounces), 25 pounds feels great, can handle 30 for a day or so out of town. I like the big front pocket where I can stuff a lot of gear - tent, rain shell, ground sheet, TP, lots of little things. The side pockets hold big water bottles and I can reach both of them while wearing the pack. The hip belt pockets are very useful - left side for snacks, right side for hat, gloves, Purell, etc.

My wife is very particular about how a pack fits and carries. She tried on a million "ultralight" packs ten years ago, and bought a 4-pound Osprey Ariel because it felt and carried better than anything else. When that finally gave up the ghost, I was able to get her to try a Circuit, with the understanding that we could send it back. Her trial hike was a 3-day weekend, and she never once mentioned the pack, no complaints, no fiddling, it just worked. And saved her half the empty pack weight. She wore it on a Long Trail thru last summer and just loved it. (Tip: get a custom job with the stretchy front pocket from the Ohm.)

Arc Haul: Lighter than the Circuit (24 oz) but with similar capacity. The new suspension carries very well with 30 pounds, at least on my back. The pack body is seam taped and so much more water resistant than most packs. Has good front and side pockets, and the optional hip belt pockets are, if anything, better than the Circuit's (larger, seam taped, waterproof zipper). I think it takes a little more care in using than the Circuit, and it's a lot more expensive.

plexusbritt
09-07-2015, 14:54
I probably shouldn't admit this... I have a bright orange cheapy from Walmart and have been using it for years. It's a 40l from their Ozark brand that I bought on clearance for an overnighter when I first began backpacking. I was in a local shop looking at packs today and just can't seem to break from my old orange cheapy. Don't send me to WhiteBlaze jail. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coastwatcher42
09-07-2015, 20:49
My favorite pack is the mid-2000's style LL Bean White Mountain pack. I like it because it fits me well and is extremely comfortable. It is also bombproof which makes it heavy, but I don't care. I'm not into the whole ultralight thing and, besides, after some of the loads that I carried after 26 years in the Army, almost anything feels ultralight.

Creek
09-08-2015, 12:32
Granite Gear Blaze AC 60, great fit, carries extra weight well.

matjbrown
09-08-2015, 14:22
Golite Jam simple, light, and carries well. I don't need anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

changed
09-08-2015, 17:26
Well, I've only used two for long-distance hikes: the REI Flash 45 and the Osprey Exos 48. Both were perfectly serviceable, but the Exos is far more comfortable, has better pockets (like the shoulder-strap ones) and has a life-time warranty. I'd recommend both, though.

ZenRabbit
09-08-2015, 17:55
1. Golite Quest 50 handles a 35 pound load with its internal /external frame and suspension. Very comfortable, compact and balanced. Carries rain gear, hammock, quilt and underquilt, tarp, sleep clothes, stove, canister, heavy azz Merrill camp shoes et al. Comes in 31 pounds 7 ounces. Unfortunately no longer made and you have to buy them on the used or new resale on the auctions.

I love Golite stuff. I'm currently looking for a larger Golite Quest 65 and one of their Poncho tarps,

I love the Golite umbrella and I'm glad you can get one from places like Canpsaver (euroschirm swing).

2. Granite Gear Crown VC 60 with the Airbeam inflatable frame sheet handles longer trips 40ish pounds and 5 to 7 days food. Pretty minimalist but sturdy, and I'm tough on gear. Haven't used it to its breaking point yet.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
09-09-2015, 21:12
I have a ULA Ohm 2 and an Osprey Aether. The ULA is much lighter at around 32oz. So I use it for summer. Keeping the Aether for Winter as it has a much higher max pack load. You pay a weight price at double the weight of the ULA.

Jake2c
09-10-2015, 00:44
Hmmm, probably will be considered a bit odd but I have a Kelty Trekker external frame just under 4lbs. I keep trying different packs but I have not found one as comfortable which I know everyone will feel is odd. It carries a lot of weight easily, has a hundred place to lash stuff, lots of pockets for organizing things and airflow through the back is excellent. Down side is no pockets on belt and I had to add a water bottle holder to the belt. I just have not found anything more comfortable yet though I know that goes against conventional wisdom. It's not a matter of money for me and as soon as I find a better one I will buy it. I would certainly get fewer stares with an internal.