PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking with an airplane - Stressing on the pre flight "checking"

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 09:30
I have folded my trekking poles up and rolled them up in my tent as I would tent poles.
I have no fuel
I have a rechargeable battery pack
A cleaned stove-petzel igniter
no knife
no lighter

My worries mostly is how much digging are they going to do with all my stuff? I have nothing im trying to hide, I have just very carefully packed everything and can see all my stuff strewn thru the checking station! Can some folks with backpacking thru and airport give me a heads up as to what to expect?

TNhiker
09-02-2015, 09:36
Are you checking or carrying it on?

the two times I have flown with gear---once a check in and once a carry on----I didn't have any searches at all...

and i didn't clean stove...

the he only thing on your list that I'd be concerned about it the rechargeable battery pack...

depending upon how big it is they may say something about that....

rafe
09-02-2015, 09:38
My last time flying with backpack was seven years ago but there were no problems. Looks like you've done your homework.

Ktaadn
09-02-2015, 09:40
I just stuck everything in a duffel bag and checked it. Had no problems. Did someone tell you that the TSA would go through your stuff?

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 09:47
I plan to carry it on- Rechargeable pack is OK to carry on, not to check. They say trekking poles must be checked but I'm using them at tent poles, have rubber stoppers on the tips and they are knee deep in a Tarptent right now. I have measured my pack and it should be of correct dimensions to carry on. I was hoping to hear what I have thus far of "no problems"

hikernutcasey
09-02-2015, 10:20
I just flew for the first time carrying a pack and we checked a bag just because of the poles and the stove. Since we checked the bag I went ahead and tossed in my food as well. When I got to the hostel and unpacked everything I found that the TSA had been in the duffel bag. They opened and pilfered through my food bag inside. I know this because they left a note in there saying they had.

FYI, you can carry one bic lighter on the plane with you.

Debbie
09-02-2015, 11:15
I live in S. Fl. so I mostly fly to the AT. I always check my pack through, either in a duffel or a large construction grade Hefty trash bag. I pack everything except my lighter. Over the years my stuff has been searched 9 times out of 10. I've had stuff rearranged but I have never had anything taken. I guess there are dishonest TSA's, but I've been fortunate.
I put my MSR Pocket Rocket in my cookpot and never had any issues. No fuel, of course. When I hike in cold weather and use my Dragonfly, I mail it ahead to the nearest p.o. as I did have TSA balk at that in Dulles. The trekking poles I put outside the pack either in the side pocket or in the duffel loose. I duct tape the points.

Debbie
09-02-2015, 11:18
You should be OK, I think

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 11:21
What do you do with the duffel bag with ready to hike? mail it to your end destination?

Im going to try to carry it on and I guess if they insist on me checking it then I will

hikernutcasey
09-02-2015, 11:26
What do you do with the duffel bag with ready to hike? mail it to your end destination?That's exactly what we did. We flew into Boston and mailed the duffel up to White Mountain Hostel in Gorham where we would be after finishing. Worked great.

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 11:29
Hmm that sounds like a good plan, I could forward normal looking clothes to wear on the airplanes as well.

Debbie
09-02-2015, 11:32
I either mail it to my destination, plus any carry-on stuff, or I leave it with my shuttler if I will be using the same one coming and going. This issue is why I started going with disposable plastic bags, both with check through and carry on. The customer service people ask what's in there-when I tell them it seems OK. I put "fragile" stickers all over it. I've only used the bags once so far and the bag was ripped at top but no damage to anything. Makes me look like a bag lady but who cares? Good luck:)

Odd Man Out
09-02-2015, 11:33
You can have matches and lighter in your pocket but not checked bag. Go figure.

Debbie
09-02-2015, 11:50
I should have said "mail to end destination".

hikernutcasey
09-02-2015, 12:59
You can have matches and lighter in your pocket but not checked bag. Go figure.That's what I said. It makes no sense that you cannot take a stove with no fuel on board with you but you can take a lighter that could start a fire. :confused:

dzierzak
09-02-2015, 13:11
How do you backpack with an airplane? :rolleyes:

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 13:18
It was intentionally worded weird haha

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2015, 13:22
How do you backpack with an airplane? :rolleyes:

It was intentionally worded weird haha

Well there IS a hang-glider launch site on the trail North of Kent :D

BillyGr
09-02-2015, 13:30
That's what I said. It makes no sense that you cannot take a stove with no fuel on board with you but you can take a lighter that could start a fire. :confused:

Perhaps the issue with lighter is the pressure of the fuel inside being in the less pressure area of checked bags?

Gambit McCrae
09-02-2015, 13:52
Well there IS a hang-glider launch site on the trail North of Kent :D

Is this where that wicked sweet drug party is at?!! :bse

Odd Man Out
09-02-2015, 15:01
Perhaps the issue with lighter is the pressure of the fuel inside being in the less pressure area of checked bags?

But that wouldn't explain the matches. I assume that the ban on lighters and matches in checked luggage is because the chemicals in them would trigger the bomb sniffer devices. Just a hunch.

Gambit McCrae
09-10-2015, 11:34
Ok so my update is this:
TSA was a joke.. No body even batted an eye at my gear. People on my flying were just carrying there trekking poles on the plane no problem. I could have had 15 lighters, a fuel canister and 1/4 stick of dyno and no one would have questioned it.

A buddy of mine works as Chief of external security at an airport. He told me last week that TSA is rated at over an 80% miss rating

JustaTouron
09-10-2015, 14:44
But that wouldn't explain the matches. I assume that the ban on lighters and matches in checked luggage is because the chemicals in them would trigger the bomb sniffer devices. Just a hunch.

Exactly. Which would result in way too many false positives.

QHShowoman
09-10-2015, 15:38
I've always checked my trekking poles/stove/tent poles/stakes/microspikes just to be on the safe side.

But it's really up to the TSA agent that looks at your stuff.

Dogwood
09-10-2015, 16:26
Ok so my update is this:
TSA was a joke.. No body even batted an eye at my gear. People on my flying were just carrying there trekking poles on the plane no problem. I could have had 15 lighters, a fuel canister and 1/4 stick of dyno and no one would have questioned it.

A buddy of mine works as Chief of external security at an airport. He told me last week that TSA is rated at over an 80% miss rating

I fly domestically upwards of 10 times per yr. I am always carrying a backpack and nearly always have it packed with hiking gear. I overwhelmingly tend to carry my backpacking gear onto the plane since I have all UL low volume kits with things included I desire to reach during travel AND I do not like subjecting my UL gear to baggage handlers especially when taking flights to remote backpacking locations where it would likely pose difficulties replacing or fixing missing or damaged gear. All my UL kits are of approved size and wt so allowed as carry-ons. When the opportunity represents itself I'll further lighten what I travel with by mailing ahead some less critical smaller gear pieces, food, lotions, gels, and perhaps nutritional supplements via USPS Flat Rate Priority boxes. I've had excellent reliability with the USPS doing this.

I've inadvertently carried liquids, gels, lotions, batteries, flammable materials, etc, above the legal amount, and compressed fuel canisters, lighters, and pocket knives onto planes all within the past eight or so yrs. I've also had canisters, knives, lotions, insecticides, lighters, etc confiscated by TSA at check-in before I learned of all the up-to date flying regs pertaining to these items. Once opening the door to being found attempting to take something on a flight not allowed expect greater scrutiny of the rest of your gear and yourself. It's best not to open that door to begin with. I've been detained twice almost missing both those flights to hiking destinations before I learned this. TSA is not a joke when that happens! I too used to make light of the TSA. It's common with stand up comics too. Apprise yourself of the current regs, abide by them, and cooperate with the TSA folks to make your transition onto the flight a smooth one. Seldomly do I use trekking poles although haven't had issue flying with foldable Black Diamond Distance Z carbon fiber poles or dedicated foldable carbon fiber tarp or shock corded tent poles that are stored inside my carry-on backpack.

Although TSA attempts to achieve universal uniformity in their procedures, and it comes close to doing that, there are some variations at different AP facilities so it is not true what you experienced you will always experience at different locations or with perhaps even slightly different carry-on or checked baggage items. Also, since flying regs do periodically change, you should inquire beforehand from the TSA website what is and isn't currently allowed.

I question the accuracy of your security buddy's statement that TSA has an 80% miss rating, especially of the most TSA concerning items that are illegal to carry on domestic originating flights, as it pertains at various U.S. International AP facilities.

And this is not likely to happen at domestic APs: "I could have had 15 lighters, a fuel canister and 1/4 stick of dyno and no one would have questioned it." There are scanners at all the domestic APs I've flown out of that detect explosives and flammables. This is how they often catch used fuel residue containing MSR fuel containers for say a MSR Whisperlite packed in carry-ons that are confiscated. The TSA X-ray personnel are well trained as well. It's why I'm sometimes flagged, or the TSA X-ray machine operator will give long pause, at reviewing my Ti Snow Peak cookware set-up.

Interestingly enough, I've only been flagged once by TSA for my bag of many nutritional supplements(capsules, tablets, pills, soft gels, etc) I sometimes have with me on flights. This occurred when I opened the door to greater scrutiny by absent mindly ignorantly attempting to go through a TSA check point with a compressed isobutane fuel canister. I got the third degree on canister no no while being surrounded by a group of seriously frowning and thoroughly searching TSA agents that time. I love the pat downs though. I often throw in some tickled giggles and wiggles as they do it.

Traveler
09-10-2015, 16:55
Although TSA attempts to achieve universal uniformity in their procedures, and it comes close to doing that, there are some variations at different AP facilities so it is not true what you experienced you will always experience at different locations or with perhaps even slightly different carry-on or checked baggage items. Also, since flying regs do periodically change, you should inquire beforehand from the TSA website what is and isn't currently allowed.

I question the accuracy of your security buddy's statement that TSA has an 80% miss rating, especially of the most TSA concerning items that are illegal to carry on domestic originating flights, as it pertains at various U.S. International AP facilities.

And this is not likely to happen at domestic APs: "I could have had 15 lighters, a fuel canister and 1/4 stick of dyno and no one would have questioned it." There are scanners at all the domestic APs I've flown out of that detect explosives and flammables. This is how they often catch used fuel residue containing MSR fuel containers for say a MSR Whisperlite packed in carry-ons that are confiscated. The TSA X-ray personnel are well trained as well. It's why I'm sometimes flagged, or the TSA X-ray machine operator will give long pause, at reviewing my Ti Snow Peak cookware set-up.

+1 As QHS said, its about interpretation of whats seen and how the rules are applied most of the time, which is what you see. What we don't see are what the threat alerts are for that day, or hour, what BOLOs or other notices are issued, and what the many video cameras around the security stations are picking up to be acted on. This is why you can go through a manometer one day with your belt on, the next day it sets off the alarms because the sensitivity has been increased. I fly some 130,000 miles a year and see all kinds of silly and serious stuff at these stations. The incidents of people being denied various items to pass like trekking poles or stoves is low in comparison to the number of people moving through, but if you are in that small group, life suddenly sucks when you realize it could have been avoided.

As an aside, if you have a Pre-Check number through TSA (not the airlines) and are tagged going through the station with something like a fuel can or even a dirty stove, you can lose that status. Once lost, it cannot be regained. Its a PITA to get, so better to play by all the rules and avoid the lines.

To the 80% issue, thats likely from the exercises that are performed without notice at TSA stations around the US. This is a very specialized unit of HSA that performs these tests that try to smuggle various things through the station. A security station in Sioux City might be tested once or twice in a year where a busy station in Newark may have 20 tests. Its impossible to know what the score represents or how it applies unless you know how the program works. Which is classified and taken very seriously.