PDA

View Full Version : Hike Recommendations

waskelton4
11-28-2005, 14:06
Looking for some advice...

myself and two or three of my friends would like to do a 4 or 5 (maybe 6) day trip on the southern part of the trail. We are all Eagle Scouts (which may or may not mean anything) and have had hiking experience (although it has been quite a while ago)

We were initially thinking about spring break but I read that the moutains in GA can get pretty nasty that time of year.. and that there are tons of folks on teh trail.

what are everyone's thought here about this idea.

ws

Gray Blazer
11-28-2005, 15:23
The weather can get bad anytime. Go ahead and plan your trip and then check the online forecasts like two or more weeks before your trip and check them everyday before your trip. It is more fun to hike in the sunshine although a rainy trip can be unforgettable. I can think of many short trips between Springer and Front Royal (You said the Southern part). Are you interested in a loop, hiking one way and then back again, or do you have more than one car that you can leave in separate places?

waskelton4
11-28-2005, 16:50
The weather can get bad anytime. Go ahead and plan your trip and then check the online forecasts like two or more weeks before your trip and check them everyday before your trip. It is more fun to hike in the sunshine although a rainy trip can be unforgettable. I can think of many short trips between Springer and Front Royal (You said the Southern part). Are you interested in a loop, hiking one way and then back again, or do you have more than one car that you can leave in separate places?
well...
re: cars.
we hadn't really decided. I figured we'd take one and park it at the end of our planned hike and get a shuttle to the beginning. we'll be driving probably 6 - 7 hours to get there so twice the gas for two cars wouldn't be so good.

not really interested in a loop.. although I haven't really considered it either.

am I correct when I say that suches, ga and helen, ga are the first two "outs" off the trail or are there any between them? I'd like to go farther than 20 miles (suches) but 50 (helen) might be pushing it for the first 5 day trip.

also.. if we go during spring break is the first 50 miles of the trail gonna be more crowded than the state fair??

thanks for the reply..

Will

Footslogger
11-28-2005, 16:57
Think about jumping on at Neels Gap instead of Springer. That'd put Helen within reach plus there's a hostel and store with food/gear items at Neels Gap.

'Slogger

Gray Blazer
11-29-2005, 12:57
Get the AT trail guides for the section you want to hike. It will have all the trailheads and mileage listed. I noticed that you said you haven't backpacked in a while. The 1st time I went out after about a 20 year hiatus, I thought I was going to die after the 1st 100 yds uphill. Pack light when it comes to cooking utensils and food. Canned food will kill you (the weight, that is). I have a small backpacking stove and I Have a 2cup mug that I cook in, Usually Ramen Noodles. The good people at this website can give you more tips.

Rockjock
11-29-2005, 15:05
You could always tackle the Smokeys and depending on your timing be ahead of some of the crowds. From Fontanna Dam to Newfound Gap is right around 40 miles, and there are shuttles available. A good loop is the Standing Indian Basin area somewhere in the ballpark of 30-35 miles.

My 0.87 cents worth

RJ

waskelton4
12-01-2005, 14:35
Think about jumping on at Neels Gap instead of Springer. That'd put Helen within reach plus there's a hostel and store with food/gear items at Neels Gap.

'Slogger
That sounds like a good idea.. but the more i think about it.. the more i want to start at the begining. Would Neel's Gap be a good place to leave the car for the end of the trip?

31.6 miles from springer... avg about 8 miles a day for a 3night/4 day hike.

are there any good resturants near neel's gap for breakfast before the drive home?

ws

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 15:21
... the more i think about it.. the more i want to start at the begining. Would Neel's Gap be a good place to leave the car for the end of the trip?

There is a good place to park a vehicle just down the road from the Walasi-Yi center at Neels Gap. It's a Forest Service (I think) lot. Either free or only a couple of dollars a day. I used it for my section hikes through there.

The distance is or was about 32 miles from Springer to Neels Gap. If you add the approach trail from the Amicalola Falls Visitors Center, that's another 8 miles or so. Thus, you'd have your 40 mile hike. Four days should be no major problem, given your ages. I wrote up a trip report about our section hike. If you'd like to read it, it's at--

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=145302#post145302

The Georgia AT Club has a web site and a Yahoo Group and I found them wonderfully helpful on trail condition reports and etc. I'd be more than happy to share my observations about any parts of the southern portions of the AT I've hiked so far, which is up to Hot Sprigns, NC, if you want to pm me.

And yes, over Spring Break, it'll be "crowded," but seeing all the hopeful hikers is a big thrill for some folks. For others, perhaps a nuisance. I'd go for it, if I were you, though!

Rain:sunMan

sliderule
12-01-2005, 15:50
Would Neel's Gap be a good place to leave the car for the end of the trip?

Not if you want the car to be there when you get back!!!! To avoid towing charges, park at the Byron Reece Memorial, approx. 1/4 mile north of Neel's Gap on the west side of Highway 19/129.

There is a blue blaze trail which exits the AT about a mile south of Neel's Gap that goes directly to the parking area. Or you can continue to Neel's Gap on the AT and walk along the highway to the parking lot.

Footslogger
12-01-2005, 16:42
[quote=waskelton4]Would Neel's Gap be a good place to leave the car for the end of the trip?
are there any good resturants near neel's gap for breakfast before the drive home?
============================================
You can't leave a car right at Neels Gap (Walasa-YI) but there is a parking area about 1/4 north of Neels at the Byron Reese Trail Head and overnight parking is allowed.

As far as breakfast goes ...the closest place I know of would be Blairsville which is about 20 minutes or so north of Neels Gap.

'Slogger

peter_pan
12-01-2005, 18:32
Great ayce in Blairsville....ask at Walasi Yi (Neels Gap) they will point ya to it.

Pan

waskelton4
12-02-2005, 11:03
Great ayce in Blairsville....ask at Walasi Yi (Neels Gap) they will point ya to it.

Pan

Oh Sweet!

Thanks!