PDA

View Full Version : Bascom Lodge--Worth the stop?

Gambit McCrae
09-03-2015, 10:35
I'm planning to stay a night on top of Bascom Lodge this week (Bunk room for $40).
Any details on food there for the night?
Alc?
Friendly place?

rafe
09-03-2015, 10:54
The place was alive and well when I stopped by early this summer. Expect grill-style food, nothing fancy, but mostly what hikers like. I didn't look at the bunkroom but in general it all looked well-kept and lively. There seemed to be an assortment of hikers staying there, and a thru pulled up while we were there. The ledges and lawns to the east of the summit were jammed with dozens of tourists. There were folks hang-gliding off the ledges.

Zipper
09-03-2015, 12:06
I am so glad to hear it's doing well - I love that section in Massachusetts and have happy memories of ducking in there for hot chocolate and warming by the fire on a cold rainy July day when it was still under construction as a lodge where folks could stay. I will definitely put this on my list in the future!

Starchild
09-03-2015, 12:11
When I first stayed there when they reopened (5 yrs ago), they had a gourmet chef who would frequenty pick wild mushrooms during the day for the meal that eve. It was one food offering and one price (IIRC $30). the meal was delicious and high end. The hang out and play area was a lot of fun, wonderful people. The bunk rooms were as expected and harken back to a earlier day of travel.

The big change is that the gourmet meals are gone and replaced by a much more common limited simplified restaurant menu, more of a tavern offering then a full restaurant.

If I ponied up the $40 per night I would want to get their early and have time to enjoy the people and place. It would not be the sort of place I would just want to crash at. So If I have the time, yes worth it, if it's just a crash pad then not worth the $40, there are cheaper options for that, though not at the summit.

Traveler
09-03-2015, 12:14
The food at Bascom Lodge has usually been very good when I have had it. Breakfast is late starting at 8 - 10 am, lunch at 11:00 to 4:30 pm, and dinner is at 7. I believe reservations are required for the dinner seating as there is usually only one. Number you can use to reach them is 413 743 1591.

Hope that helps.

DavidNH
09-03-2015, 12:47
Bascom Lodge is very much worth a stop over. When I thru hiked back in 2006, I did a short three mile day from shelter before to summit and stayed in the lodge. Made for lots of rest. Also the food at least then was outstanding and copious. No way one can leave hungry.. not even thru hikers.

Don H
09-03-2015, 15:59
I stayed there and did the bunk, shower and dinner special. The food was good but defiantly not Thru-hiker portions!

tiptoe
09-04-2015, 21:00
Hi, DavidNH. I believe we were at Bascom together in 2006. It was my first section hike, and you were doing a thru. I remember that you could hardly wait for the dinner bell at 6. And yes, the food was excellent.

swjohnsey
09-05-2015, 17:05
I stayed in '12. An interesting note is the furniture is all Stickley. The food for the sit down dinner was not 'xactly hiker food. Worth the price to me.

elray
09-05-2015, 21:21
Stopped in a few years ago while sectioning and remember a nice selection of locally made sweet soda pop to accompany my burger, I should have stopped at two bottles but is was so good! Long story short I suffered a bad case of "Ho Chi Minh's Revenge" before I was even off the mountain and it made for a miserable afternoon. Ah the memories!!

lemon b
09-05-2015, 21:54
It's changed a few times over the years. Thrus used to be able to sleep in one of the lower garages when Cory was working there, plus he'd throw down a good morning feed. These days for a thru hiker I'd say no as to a paid for stop. Too many tourists and that kind of pricing. Better bang for the buck resupplying and sit down eating in Dalton/Pittsfield or North Adams. Shelter on the South Side ok Wilber Shelter on the North can be a local party spot and Porki-pines seem to call it home. But it's worth an hours stop at the lodge for a real bathroom.. .. Water is on West side of lodge. Not a party place by any stretch.

BillyGr
09-06-2015, 15:56
Stopped in a few years ago while sectioning and remember a nice selection of locally made sweet soda pop to accompany my burger, I should have stopped at two bottles but is was so good! Long story short I suffered a bad case of "Ho Chi Minh's Revenge" before I was even off the mountain and it made for a miserable afternoon. Ah the memories!!

Must have been back in the Squeeze days - it was always good (and I probably have an empty bottle or two around somewhere).