PDA

View Full Version : Neoair XLite vs XPed Hyperlite

Vegan Packer
09-03-2015, 18:27
I've tried a NeoAir Trekker, and it was great. I then checked out the XLite, and I was also happy with that.

I am 5'9", and I tried both of these in the large/wide size, because I want to be comfortable during my sleep, and I don't want limbs to hang over the edge while sleeping. By going with the largest size of the XLite, I didn't have a problem with the tapered shape, due to the extra width of the design in the large size. It was my Godlilocks pad when considering weight to size, at least as far as width goes.
On the other hand, I really didn't need the full length. If only they would make this with a regular length and the wide version, that would be the end of the story for my decision.

I've been reluctant to try the Xpeds due to the lengthwise baffles, which has been a source of complaints that I have read. Also, being a toss-and-turner, going back and forth between side, front and back during the night, I am not so sure how much I would like the raised outside rails. On the other hand, the Hyperlite is available in a wide version that is the regular length of 72 inches instead of 77, which would free up a little space in my tent. Also, it is slightly lighter than the XLite, slightly thicker, and has a slightly higher R-Value.

Has anybody tried them both out?

Vegan Packer
09-04-2015, 00:08
If you have only tried the Hyperlite, I'd still like to hear what you have to say about it, especially relating to the lengthwise baffles and the raised outer baffle rails.

Thanks.

Odd Man Out
09-04-2015, 09:48
... If only they would make this with a regular length and the wide version, that would be the end of the story for my decision....

I've looked around a lot for wide pads that aren't super long. I once called the NeoAir company and asked if they could make a wide pad that wasn't super long. They seemed confused as to why anyone would want this (ug). I am currently using a Klymit Static V and previously used a NeoAir Trekker (wide torso-length), but am always looking for more options in 25" wide pads that are not more than 72" long and about 16 oz or less. Also following to hear reviews of the XPed Hyperlite (M Wide).

Vegan Packer
09-06-2015, 02:10
Still no direct answer on this, but the closest review (http://sticksblog.com/2015/04/28/exped-synmat-ul7-sleeping-pad-review/) that I have found discusses the Exped Synmat UL7 versus the Thermarest NeoAir XLite. The Synmat UL7 has the same exact materials and design as the Hyperlite, but in a rectangular shape instead of the mummy shape, yielding a reduction in weight from 19.8 ounces, for the MW UL7, to 14.6 ounces for the Hyperlite, in the same size. The XLite in the wide and long size is 16 ounces.

The Hyperlite and UL7 use 20D material on the outside, whereas the XLite uses 30D material (stated as "rip" nylon, which I take to mean rip stop). There could be some durability issues. I use a tent with a floor, and I have a Tyvek footprint below that, so the durability thing doesn't sound like it should be an issue for me unless the thinner material is so poor that it causes issues just from ordinary use.

The Hyperlite is 25.6 inches wide and 16.5 at the foot. The XLite is 25 inches wide up top, but the manufacturer's web site does not state the width at the foot. I just pulled my XLite out to measure, but it is difficult to figure out exactly where the point is to do this measurement. The very end of the foot tapers to as narrow as 10 inches or less, but measuring from just two inches or so above this point brings you right to 16.5 to 17. Note that my measurement was without inflation, so it is possible to be slightly less than what I got here.

Last, Outdoor Gear Lab (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Exped-SynMat-7) loves the XLite, and doesn't seem to think so highly of some of the Exped mats, though they don't make a comparison to models that are similar enough to the Hyperlite to know whether their less than stellar review would move across to the Hyperlite or not. The one thing that sticks out in my mind from their review is the idea that the Expeds are, in their opinion, more like "bouncy pool toy[s]," which is the kind of thing that I have read or heard in other reviews, though not a universally held opinion.

I'd still like to hear from anybody with experience using the Hyperlite or the equivalent. In the end, if it is more or less as comfortable as the XLite, it sounds like I could benefit from the following: Ever so slightly wider in the upper portion: 25 versus 25.6 inches. 16.7 ounces versus 19.4 ounces, when coupled with the manufacturer's inflator bag. Five inches shorter, which, for someone my height, is not a problem, but is a plus, because it would free up some additional space inside my tent.

Venchka
09-06-2015, 08:16
Guarantee goes to Thermarest. Exped only two years.
My Xterm large measures 23" at the widest point inflated.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
09-06-2015, 16:17
Buy both from REI. Test the heck out of them for 364 days. Return the one you don't like.
All inflatable pads list the flat dimensions. A 25" catalog width Xlite/Xtherm is actually 23" wide in working mode. The 20" wide models are 18" inflated.
Find an Exped dealer and measure their pads. I'm sure they will be very close to the NeoAirs.

Wayne

Sandy of PA
09-06-2015, 21:51
Get brave and use an iron and scissors to shorten the large neo-air, that is what I did to mine in 2012, still going strong 1000 miles later.

Dogwood
09-06-2015, 21:54
There was a thread on WB not long ago of someone who shortened their NeoAir XLite. You could look for that thread. Take the wide NeoAirXlite and reduce its length.

Venchka
09-06-2015, 22:01
3 page discussion of the NeoAir Xlite:

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/thermarest-neoair-xlite.834/

What exactly do you expect the Hyperlite to do better or differently?
They are the same width. One is 6" longer. They are within an ounce of the same weight. One is made in the USA and one is not. 30D vs 20D fabric and the same weight. Same R-Value in practice.
My only question: Why did Exped bother making the Hyperlite?
Good luck!

Wayne

Dogwood
09-06-2015, 22:26
"I've been reluctant to try the Xpeds due to the lengthwise baffles, which has been a source of complaints that I have read. Also, being a toss-and-turner, going back and forth between side, front and back during the night, I am not so sure how much I would like the raised outside rails. On the other hand, the Hyperlite is available in a wide version that is the regular length of 72 inches instead of 77, which would free up a little space in my tent. Also, it is slightly lighter than the XLite, slightly thicker, and has a slightly higher R-Value. "

I too sleep this way. I've actually enjoyed sleeping on EXped mats with the raised outside rails because I have less tendency to slip off the pad as I toss and turn compared to the horizontal baffles of the NeoAir XLites. Although I'm real lean and thin w/ a 34" waist and rather med width shoulders and I've always used reg width ExPed mats.

There is another inflatable pad I was just looking at at REI that isn't an ExPed that has raised outside rails and solid horizontal baffles. Might want to look at some of the Klymit pads too as they are offered in wider than 20"(23", 25", etc) widths but some as short as 48". Check out the Big Agnes pads too with their QCore technology offering what I've found a great sleep as a toss and turner.

Vegan Packer
09-07-2015, 19:06
What exactly do you expect the Hyperlite to do better or differently?

What appeals to me? Slightly wider. I don't need the extra length of the XLite, and that would free up a little more room in my tent, which is always a plus, even though I have a roomy tent for its size to weight consideration. 16.7 ounces versus 19.4 ounces, when coupled with the manufacturer's inflator bag.

Vegan Packer
09-07-2015, 19:08
Get brave and use an iron and scissors to shorten the large neo-air, that is what I did to mine in 2012, still going strong 1000 miles later.

Don't think that I haven't thought about it! :) Any videos or step-by-step instructions out there?

Vegan Packer
09-07-2015, 19:10
Just for giggles, I Googled it. It must be a pretty popular idea, because the engine autocompleted the phrase after just a few characters, and then this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY) popped up.

Venchka
09-07-2015, 21:37
Two pads enter.
One pad leaves.

Wayne

True Grit
05-01-2016, 10:12
Vegan Packer, what pad are you using now?

saltysack
05-01-2016, 10:34
I've got xlite and xtherm both in large for width only as I'm 5'11" 215lbs so don't need legnth but don't have the nerve to attempt to cut down....lots of $$ in pads!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
05-01-2016, 12:40
I've got xlite and xtherm both in large for width only as I'm 5'11" 215lbs so don't need legnth but don't have the nerve to attempt to cut down....lots of $$ in pads!!
So, let's do some accounting. You can spend money on an Xped with uncertain outcome, but the money is absolutely spent. It might give you what you want, or it might not. Or, you can spend very little money to modify your Xlite, which will likely work very well and give you exactly what you want (at almost no cost), or, there is a small chance it will fail, and you will be out the cost of the pad - just like you would be if you bought an Xped regardless of whether it works or not.

Be daring. Then come back and tell us all how it went. :eek:
I haven't heard any horror stories from anyone that has tried this and had it fail.
In the end, you can also always try more than once. If you screw up, you can just cut it another inch or two shorter and try again.

Good luck!

saltysack
05-01-2016, 20:52
So, let's do some accounting. You can spend money on an Xped with uncertain outcome, but the money is absolutely spent. It might give you what you want, or it might not. Or, you can spend very little money to modify your Xlite, which will likely work very well and give you exactly what you want (at almost no cost), or, there is a small chance it will fail, and you will be out the cost of the pad - just like you would be if you bought an Xped regardless of whether it works or not.

I haven't heard any horror stories from anyone that has tried this and had it fail.
In the end, you can also always try more than once. If you screw up, you can just cut it another inch or two shorter and try again.

Good luck!

I was just commenting...I'm not buying another pad.....maybe on day I'll cut down mine but not likely....

Venchka
05-01-2016, 22:33
I did some accounting as well.
How much would the last 6 inches of the narrow end of the Xlite/Xtherm weigh? Quite possibly not nearly enough to justify all the fuss over cutting off a few inches or switching brands and pads.

Wayne

saltysack
05-01-2016, 22:53
Main reason I'd even consider trimming my pads is to save my lungs....seems to take forever to inflate after 12 hours of walking! Sure a few less oz would be great also....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangfire
05-02-2016, 02:16
I wonder if you could find somebody with a jumbo sized vacuum packer. I'm sure that industrial size machines would have an adjustable heat strip that would seal a neoair perfectly.

Vegan Packer
05-02-2016, 02:29
Vegan Packer, what pad are you using now?

I am sticking with my XLite. I find it a little more comfortable than the Exped, and a little wider in the shoulder area. The Exped is not bad, but I find the XLite to be a better choice.

I would have stuck with it from the beginning, but I am not a big fan of the fill valve. I ended out making a modification to an Exped Schnozzle Pumpbag (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/schnozzel-pumpbag-ul-m) that allowed me to get around that issue. I would suggest getting the Schnozzle Pumpbag over the one from Thermarest (it is also a tiny bit lighter), doing the modification, and then you can use that as a pack liner as well as for inflation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSwRi39hYYo

Vegan Packer
05-02-2016, 02:32

Good luck!

I am not brave enough to do it! :eek: I am just going to carry the extra bit of weight...for now. :o

nsherry61
05-02-2016, 08:55
Main reason I'd even consider trimming my pads is to save my lungs....
One of my favorite tricks. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E) I'm not sure why it hasn't become more broadly public knowledge.

saltysack
05-02-2016, 09:18
One of my favorite tricks. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E) I'm not sure why it hasn't become more broadly public knowledge.

I use the compactor bag for my xtherm to keep moisture out but still a slow process.....I actually used my foam zlite pad last paddle trip and wasn't bad....that being said I was so tired I could have slept on a rock!!

Secondmouse
05-02-2016, 12:33
Klymit makes a Junior version of their Static V for $50 which measures 50.4" x 23" x 2.5" and weighs 13oz. or you can get the full length Static V2 for $20 and 3oz more.

these are very comfortable mattresses that are wide and stable enough that my arms stay on...

Stevep311
05-02-2016, 13:12
Sorry it took me a little longer to join this post. I have tried/tested them both (Xlite & Synmat Hyperlite) and settle on the Exped. I am a slender 6' side sleeper with broad shoulders. Based on comfort alone they are very close IMHO. As a comfort side note, I really didn't even notice the higher side baffles. The shorter length is actually surprisingly more comfortable because my feet are allowed to angle down if I move to my stomach.

There very a couple of additional things that really swayed me to the Hyperlite. I recently saw a video posted about the mold growth that occurs over time from using your breath to blow up the air pads. Breathing that stuff in is pretty nasty. So, when I found the Schnozzle pump/bag it was really intriguing. It's a 2oz penalty, but is it really? It obviously saves you from the exhausting task of blowing up the pad, ends the mold problem, but best of all it's multi-purpose. It's has a really big capacity (40L it think) and it's waterproof so I use it as my pack liner and it's perfect!

Last thing I will add is that the Hyperlite is quieter than the Xlite.

capehiker
05-02-2016, 18:38
Here's my story:

A few months back I sold my perfectly great NeoAir Xlite to my buddy and I bought the Hyperlight w/ schnozzle bag. I loved the bag and how it inflated in 3 bags. Then, on the second weekend I had there Hyperlight, around 10pm I found myself on the cold hard 30 degree ground, shivering. I was using up a storm. The problem turned out to be the seal around the inflation port. I take the bag and mat back to REI to return it for my beloved NeoAir Xlite but they were out and only had the NeoAir SV version in stock. Long story short, the 4 extra ounces in weight in the SV are totally worth it. It's rectangular and I feel like I have more room to lay on. The NeoAir Xlite SV is now my favorite sleep pad.