PDA

View Full Version : Best three on trail zero-day locations?

murphyw
11-28-2005, 15:44
Where are the best on trail zero days? If you could do it again, or if you already did it... I'm looking to note in the databook all the best places to pack an extra days food.

What are your "top three on trail zero" locations? Why?

Thanks.

--Bill

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 15:53
Always pack extra chow and let it be spontaneous. You're gonna get a million different answers to this. Don't plan anything.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 15:55
In the far South, Hot Springs, Erwin, and Damascus are all worth a zero day, as they're such friendly places.

In Virginia, I like a day off in Pearisburg and Waynesboro.

Farther North, Harpers Ferry and Duncannon are good places to get some rest, as well as Delaware Water Gap.

After that, Hanover is a great Trail town if you overlook the lack of cheap lodging. I'd also take a day off in Gorham and Monson.

Narrowing it down to just three places for a zero is pretty tough.....if I absolutely had to do this, I'd say Hot Springs, Damascus, and Monson.

As to why these are good places, it's beacuse the townspeople are friendly, there are facilities for hikers (lodging, shopping, Outfitters, etc.) and lots of good places to eat.

neo
11-28-2005, 15:55
i dont have time for a zero,but have taken nero days:cool: neo

murphyw
11-28-2005, 15:58
Narrowing it down to just three places for a zero is pretty tough.....if I absolutely had to do this, I'd say Hot Springs, Damascus, and Monson.

Totally agree; three places is limiting, but I wanted to spur debate somewhat.

As to why these are good places, it's beacuse the townspeople are friendly, there are facilities for hikers (lodging, shopping, Outfitters, etc.) and lots of good places to eat.

I was more hoping people would post places "on-trail" that have such wonderful views that they had to stay for a zero or nero.

--Bill

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 16:02
Falls of Dismal in Virgina. It was close enough to walk into the local supply point for some fresh food and the weather when I was there made it a great place to swim and mess around. No locals or other hikers to have to share it with, and it was a short, easy walk off the AT.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 16:02
If I was going to take a zero in the middle of nowhere, my favorite three places would be Overmountain Shelter, just past Roan Mountain; Grayson Highlands State Park just past Damascus; and Antler's Campsite, in Maine.

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 16:31
If I was going to take a zero in the middle of nowhere, my favorite three places would be Overmountain Shelter, just past Roan Mountain.

If you take a zero here, you can even go down the old FS road and use the bathtub near the shelter to clean up. That would be a great place.

chris
11-28-2005, 16:44
I've only been as far north as central VT, but I'd say Hot Springs, Damascus, and Duncannon.

Why? Hot Springs is small (i.e, easy to move about), has great places to stay (Elmers), a fantastic pub, and a great outfitters. Plus, it is one of the first real trail towns and there is a sense of accomplishment in having reached it.

Damascus has most of the above properties, plus it really feels like you've gotten somewhere.

Duncannon has the Doyle, which is worth a stop in and of itself: The food is good, as is the beer, and the people fantastic. I didn't especially like the Mid-Atlantic and Duncannon is the only good memory I have of the region.

Uncle Silly
11-28-2005, 16:49
Have to agree with rock -- Dismal Falls is gorgeous, and very convenient. The falls off the blue-blazed Mau-Har trail (near Maupin Field shelter in VA) would make a good near-trail zero too. For me, pretty much any good swimmin' hole on a beautiful day would be my on-trail-zero of choice. :D

Disney
11-28-2005, 16:49
I've gotta agree with Jack, Overmountain shelter for the view and Thomas Knob in the Highlands for the view and ponies. Partnership has the pizza delivery and the little museum if you haven't figured out how to tell the difference between a mouse and a snake. The problem with Thomas Knob is there may be alot of people and the shelter's not that large. Overmountain is big enough to sleep a company comfortably and more if it's cold.

In the north, I'd go with Upper Goose Pond Cabin in Mass. Pancake breakfast and indoor bunks for a few dollars a night (give more). The lake is wonderful to relax in and the canoe was available when I was there. I think if you're short on funds it'd be much cheaper than forking over dough for a hotel. The town is close enough for a resupply stop as well.

Peaks
11-28-2005, 17:13
All good choices about where to zero. But, let me add two more:

White water at NOC, and Caratunk

Tin Man
11-28-2005, 17:44
There are some very nice lakes and ponds in southern VT where I wish I could have spent more time and tried some fishing on my section hikes.

Spirit Walker
11-28-2005, 23:46
Upper Goose Pond is a good one - you can swim and canoe, it's the summer house I wish I had. Same with Rainbow Lake in Maine - gorgeous and relaxing. Max Patch is a nice place to hang out for several hours - I don't think I'd take a zero there though.

The Desperado
11-29-2005, 00:37
ms. tillys........what a neat old place & if you get to sit and eat at the table.........history & good food!

ARambler
11-29-2005, 00:52
If you took a scientific poll of all zero days on the trail, you would find that 95+% were for really bad weather or to recover from a very bad injury/illness. Do you really want to pick the best of this bunch?
I took one day off on each of two thrus, both in Millinocket. Getting a great day on Katahdin has to be the best use of a zero.
Rambler

Smile
11-29-2005, 18:01
SGT, where exactly it this, sounds great. Mile # nobo?

Falls of Dismal in Virgina. It was close enough to walk into the local supply point for some fresh food and the weather when I was there made it a great place to swim and mess around. No locals or other hikers to have to share it with, and it was a short, easy walk off the AT.

SGT Rock
11-29-2005, 19:09
Ummm, about a day or two south of Pearisburg, VA. I can't remember the exact mileage.

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 19:18
I'll tell ya ...there were a few places along side the various ponds in Maine (100 Mile Wilderness). I remember saying to myself ...if I only had enough food/time to set up camp and hang for a while. But, like most hikers, once you get to that point on the trail you're burning a path to Katahdin and aren't carrying enough extra supplies to make it possible.

Ah ...but next time !!

'Slogger

Peaks
11-30-2005, 09:52
I'll put in a plug for a zero at Kinkora. Bob Peoples can arrange for a day of trail work. And, we all have an obligation to give back to the trail.

Kerosene
11-30-2005, 09:52
SGT, where exactly it this, sounds great. Mile # nobo?Dismal Creeks Falls (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7768&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=884) (which are anything but dismal) are located an easy 20.5 miles south of Pearisburg (I did it in a single day this past June; fortunately the last 6 miles are quite flat). It's about 1.5 miles north of Virginia Route 606 and Kimberling Creek, so it's about AT milepoint 594.

There's a nice campsite to the right of the blue-blazed side trail; a lot of the other sites were either very rocky or required a freestanding tent. A lot of places to hammock. Next to the falls there is a broad swath of flat rock where I prepared a lovely dinner. On the other side of the falls there is a trail up to a parking lot and a road, so I'll bet that it can get pretty crowded on a nice summer weekend.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 09:56
SGT, where exactly it this, sounds great. Mile # nobo?
Page 54 in the Data Book. mile 140.2 NOBO.

fiddlehead
11-30-2005, 21:46
Anywhere in Maine