PDA

View Full Version : 10 day trip in NC/Ten 3rd week of Oct.

09-04-2015, 13:26
I'm going on a 10 day trip oct.16-25th. I'm planning to leave from US19E Elk Park,NC(393.8) and head south to Log Cabin Rd. (290.7) where we will have our cars parked at at Hemlock Hollow. Are there any shuttles that people recommend? I have a small group with 1 hammock hanger. I was wondering where the best spot for a resupply point is. I also wondered about the water situation and if the at guide is accurate on there water sources. Is there any camp spots that are must stays? Any other info on this section is appreciated. Thanks guys/gals for any info or advice.

Gambit McCrae
09-04-2015, 13:51
I'm planning to leave from US-19E Elk Park, NC (393.8) and head south to Log Cabin Rd. (290.7) where we will have our cars parked at Hemlock Hollow.
Why not Allen Gap?

Are there any shuttles that people recommend?

Erwin offers a Hostel (rooms are kinda dirty), but they do have a shuttle service, and a resupply with in the town.

Also the whiteblaze member "10-k" lives in Erwin and has provided great service to me in the past.

I have a small group with 1 hammock hanger. I was wondering where the best spot for a resupply point is.
Erwin, TN-I believe is your only town

I also wondered about the water situation and if the at guide is accurate on there water sources.
No idea on that haven't been in the area for a year

Is there any camp spots that are must stays?
I think Overmountain shelter is a must, along with at least "visiting" the summit of roan high knob and the cloudland area
Curley maple gap shelter is nice, stayed there this January in deep snow
take the good weather trail up firescald knife edge
Blackstack cliff side trail
jones meadow
big bald would be a great campsite but it is dry fyi

Any other info on this section is appreciated.
I slack packed pretty much this whole area in a few days. no real serious climbs but not a lot of attractions so to speak.

Tennessee Viking
09-04-2015, 13:52
Try 10-K. But I think he is out of town at this moment. But he runs out of Erwin. And knows the area very well. hikershuttles.com.

Water may get scarce after Flint Mountain shelter on the sharp ridgeline. Usually October comes cooler temps and more steady rains. Erwin will be your only re-supply point unless your hitch back into Erwin or Wolf Laurel/Mars Hill at Sams Gap.

The Yellow Mtn Barn Shelter, Deep Gap on Unaka, Big Bald (if weather is good), the fields around Frozen Knob, and Flint Gap or Shelton Grave site are great spots.

Bring blaze orange. Hunting season will be starting soon.

misterfloyd
09-04-2015, 17:58
+1 on 10-K Used him for a shuttle service very good and reliable.

Honestly one of the funnest sections, especially in the fall, was US19 south towards Erwin. Big Bald is Very cool. If memory serves me right, Not much scenery wise from Erwin to hemlock hollow. I know the lady was trying to sell the place, is it under new ownership?

Have a great hike, love hiking in the fall!
Floyd

joshuasdad
09-04-2015, 19:25
Doesn't Hemlock Hollow provide shuttles? I thought they were pretty reasonable too. Otherwise, 10-K is definitely a great option (although his better half shuttled me...)

09-23-2015, 22:11
Thanks for all your responses folks! Any updates on water situation. I'm 3 weeks from the trip. I think I'm gonna just send a resupply box to Uncle Johnnys in Erwin. I have the shuttle arranged. Now I just need the next 3 weeks to go by. Is this time gonna be late on fall foilage in this area?

The Cleaner
09-23-2015, 22:29
It is peak time in this area during that time.Due to the amount of ups and downs that gives you a chance to see various conditions. Leave me a note at Jerry's Cabin shelter,I should be there on a clean up trip around that time. Have a great time. :)

volleypc
09-24-2015, 08:52
I got a shuttle from Hot Springs to US 19E two years ago for what I thought was an incredible price - $70. I can not remember his price but he lived a development near Bald Mountain. Evidently he was hiking years ago and a snow storm came up so he took a side trail down to where they were building cabins. He fell in love with the place and ended up buying a cabin. Hopefully someone knows him from that small bit of information and can provide his contact info.

I really enjoyed the area. I love Roan Mountain, Big Bald, plus many more overlooks. I know at Big Bald they do the banding for hawks, etc during Oct. I know it can be a little different every year but during my Oct hike water was not an issue.

JumpMaster Blaster
09-24-2015, 22:27
They were banding haws on Big Bald mid-September last year. Never saw such an event. Pretty cool.

LittleRock
09-25-2015, 08:46
Maybe too late since you already have a shuttle, but IMO Hot Springs is a much better place to end than Log Cabin Rd.