PDA

View Full Version : what do do with car while thru hiking

DavidNH
11-28-2005, 20:00
Hi,

One vexing question. Assuming like me no one at home to take care of your car while you are out thru hiking..what do you do with it? I have read somewhere that a car should be driven a little or else six months of idleness is not good for it.

Do you loan the car to someone, or just park it somewhere? The car needs to be in good shape when the hike is done and I return home!!

DavidNH

Fiddler
11-28-2005, 20:43
Hi,

I have read somewhere that a car should be driven a little or else six months of idleness is not good for it.

Have you considered selling it and using the money for expenses? If that is not agreeable then take it to a GOOD mechanic just before you leave for the hike. Tell him you want it prepared for long-term (six months) storage. If you live over 10-15 miles from the garage maybe get it hauled back home. Park with the tires on small boards, remove the battery, that's about it. I have stored 9 months in the driveway (no garage) this way. Started back and ran with no problems.

Tractor
11-28-2005, 21:36
6 months or better? I would disconnect the battery, maybe bring it inside. Add some (a bunch) of that fuel stabilizer stuff to the tank. Make sure your antifreeze level is good for the time of year it's idle. Make sure no leaks, all windows up. Vents closed. Don't leave any trash inside to mold and rot. If practical don't leave e-brake on or they could get stiff and not want to release easily after. Make sure all tires fully inflated.

Some cars will need to "relearn" after being idle for so long. It might take a short drive or several minutes for the ECU's to get their bearings with air flow, oxygen sensor, temp. settings, etc......

Some seals, rubber bits, bushings, bearings, etc, don't like to sit for long.

I might consider asking family or trusted friend to drive it every week or so so everything stays in shape.

Chickety
11-28-2005, 22:05
I left my car with my folks, my dad tried to keep up with it, driving it once or twice a week, but the brakes still had such bad rust build up (from sitting around the rest of the time) that the brakes are going to have to be replaced next month (front and back). If you can find someone to drive it on a regular basis, you might be better off.

Sly
11-28-2005, 22:19
If I were you I'd sell it and either put the money aside for another car when you're finished hiking or use the money to help finance your hike.

For me, one of the allures to "thru-hiking" is starting from the bottom again once I'm finshed. It's alot easier to juggle your priorities once you force yourself realize what they are.

Of course, it could take a few thru-hikes to figure them out.

DavidNH
11-28-2005, 23:32
Sorry...can't see selling this car. It is in good shape..just spent 430 bucks getting it inspected. and I like the car. And I will need a way to get around when done hiking. And besides..being my first ever very long distance hike..who knows if I will last the full 6 months and 2175 miles (though I surely plan to!)?!

DavidNH

Spirit Walker
11-28-2005, 23:41
Do you have a friend who can drive it occasionally? We loaned our truck to a friend who needed an occasional pickup and he kept it going. Actually it was cleaner when we picked it up than when we dropped it off - he had even changed the oil.

One consideration - some insurance policies won't allow you to prepay (because the price might go up) - ask now. Also, when are ithe emission inspection and reregistration due? That can also be hard to get done ahead of time.

squirrel bait
11-29-2005, 09:08
Certainly talk to your insurance agent. All good advice above and storing/not running a car for six months is no problem for the car. If your not letting someone use it/run it every week or so, pull the plates and talk to your insurance agent. You can stablize the gas with additives but to use less just run most of the gas out. Contact DMV in your state and see what their policies are for a stored car. You usually save money from both the state and you insurance company if the car is not being utilized. Good luck.

The Solemates
11-29-2005, 09:48
i left mine in the garage and told my sister to come over and drive it once a month or so, which she did, and i never had any problems with it after our hike. my wife loaned hers to her brother (and of course it came back with bald tires).

flyfisher
11-29-2005, 10:01
Hi,

One vexing question. Assuming like me no one at home to take care of your car while you are out thru hiking..what do you do with it? I have read somewhere that a car should be driven a little or else six months of idleness is not good for it.

Do you loan the car to someone, or just park it somewhere? The car needs to be in good shape when the hike is done and I return home!!

DavidNH

I recently looked into this for a motorcycle, since they are often "put up" for snowy months. Most of the lessons learned could apply to a car.

Battery: Clean the salty crud off the top of the battery. It causes a current leak. It is best to have the battery trickle charged once a month or so (2 amps).

Gas tank/carbs. Here you are trying to avoid rust and varnish. For rust prevention, fill the tank all the way. To avoid water drops forming on the bottom under the gas, and also for varnish prevention, I use "Sea Foam" which is great as a cleaner and as a gas stabilizer. For the gas tank, I use 1/2 ounce per gallon of gas.

For really extended storage, take the plugs out and then put a teaspoon of Seafoam in each of the holes, then put the plugs back in. Crank the starter for a second or two.

MacGyver2005
11-29-2005, 10:39
This is very dependent on where the vehicle will be stored, and how much you value the vehicle. If it is in a garage, this is a good start. You do not have to worry about covering it and you can connect it to a trickle charger. If it is outside you have to decide if it is worth investing in a car cover, which can be several hundred dollars. Do not cover it with any old tarp you have lying around; that will do more harm than good. You would be better off leaving it uncovered. Also, disconnect the battery if you cannot get a trickle charger to it.
I would recommend parking it where you do not mind doing a little work on it when you return. The first thing you will want to do is change the oil and filter before you start it after it sits for an extended period of time. Oil deteriorates over time, and starting the car is when good oil is most crucial. If necessary, park the car on ramps before you go so that you can get the oil changed when you return without starting the car. Also this way you can check the brakes if they need service before you get yourself into trouble on the road.

Brakes are a definite concern. Do not leave the parking brake on while gone. Over that period of time it will most likely seize, which is one more thing you will not want to deal with. Once you get the car ready to run again, give the brakes a pump or two and make sure that you do not have a hard or spongy pedal. If you do you will need to check the fluid as well as make sure that none of the calipers have seized.

Run the fuel below half of a tank before you store it, but do not run it empty unless you want to be running around with a couple of five gallon jugs of gas when you return. With about ¼ tank of gas left add fuel stabilizer at the amount suggested on the label and your gas should be fine. If for some strange reason it does go bad, at least you do not have a whole tank of gas to empty! Also be sure to fill up as soon as you get the car moving again.

Depending on where you are located at it is probably a good idea to leave a few mothballs in the car to prevent not just moths, but more importantly rodents. Also do this under the hood, as they love wiring harnesses.

Before storing the car, be sure that there are no underlying issues, especially leaks. When you return, check all of your fluid levels: coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid (if an automatic), and obviously the oil will be replaced. If anything is lower than when you stored it you need to do two things: first, determine where the leak is and fix it, then fill up the fluid.

If you have any other vehicle related questions feel free to ask. I left this behind on my thru-hike, so you can see where I am coming from: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/rides/linc/JoshMcMadMac/joshmcmadmac.html (http://www.lincolnsonline.com/rides/linc/JoshMcMadMac/joshmcmadmac.html)

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME