PDA

View Full Version : What caught you off guard on your first Thru attempt?

Mtsman
09-07-2015, 00:05
Hey WB,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am going to be making my first thru attempt starting mid Feb 2016. I have most of my gear all situated (roughly 85%). I have read 4 paperback books on the AT along with two years of lurking on whiteblaze and I am pretty sure I have seen close to every AT youtube video out there. Thank you all for your content in helping noobs like myself.

My questions to you. What caught you off guard the first time you attempted a thru hike? What do you think you could have planned for better?

Some details about where I am at (optional read):

I have roughly a 9lb 8oz base weight right now (that might grow if i decide to take a video camera and hiking poles). I am a hammock camper going NOBO. I will be taking roughly 5k (or more) for funds. I am out of shape but i plan on the trail getting me in shape. Most of my gear is tested but I will be taking several more winter hikes to make sure the new stuff is going to pan out. I am debating also taking my dog but I am scared she will hinder my thru attempt (i.e. getting into hotels/some parks/extra responsibility). I guess these are most of my fears right now that I need to work out.

Anyway, Thanks again for all the advice and thoughts locked up in this time capsule of knowledge.

Cobble
09-07-2015, 00:36
Congrats on your first post Mtsman!

My first thru attempt was largely unplanned, unresearched, and an all around disaster. (And I loved it so much I kept coming back to finish the trail!)

Surprises for me:(My personal solutions in parenthesis)
1. Hard work of hiking. It becomes a job of sorts. I had a fairy tale idea of the whole thing.
2. You have to keep walking when you hurt and start walking when you hurt. This is VERY unlike "normal life."
3. When it rains you get wet. (Rain gear, waterproof, and dry are all myths when it rains...short of what's inside a compacter bag after 4-5 days of rain WILL be wet.). Brush holds water which will wet you more than the rain.
4. Gear failures. (Have phone numbers handy and be mentally prepared for them)
***5. How everyone wasn't out there for the same reasons as me.
6. How nice everyone was. People really want to talk and are friendly on the trail. (Big shock!) (So be prepared to be warm too.)
7. How discouraged I could get. Little things like a fall into the mud or a mouse chewing something can be a really big deal, especially if traveling alone. (Celebrate small victories, save a "comfort meal" for bad days, take breaks)
8. How much I looked forward to towns...then how disapointed I became with towns.(at first I wanted to stop every chance I could...by my last hike I was actively avoiding every town I could)
9. How easy it was to follow the trail...then how bewildered I got when I lost it. (I only lost the trail while hiking once... several times I got lost on a rest stop **always remember which way when leaving the trail**)
10. How much water there is (and how clean)(I carried very little water most of the way, usually less than two liters and after first section rarely treated my water...once a week on avg...didn't get sick but HYOH)
11. It didn't take me 5 months to "find myself." (Make sure your reason for being on the trail makes sense to you and get off when it stops making sense.)

CrumbSnatcher
09-07-2015, 01:08
Hey WB,

My questions to you. What caught you off guard the first time you attempted a thru hike? What do you think you could have planned for better?

what caught me off guard was who in the hell put all these mountains in the way!
welcome to WB. good luck next year, have fun

Dogwood
09-07-2015, 01:27
First, I never looked at my first really LD hike, a thru-hike, as an attempted thru-hike. I saw it as something I was going to embrace fully, and that is a lot to say and do, when you really can not possibly plan for unknown contingencies. And, you can not possibly be expected to know all events in advance...NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU PLAN. If I had saw the thru-hike as an attempt at a thru-hike for me that would have been opening up the door in my mentality to quitting. I would have hated that.

What you will need despite umpteen planning is a willingness to adapt to be flexible to seek out solutions as challenges/problems/issues/etc occur rather than give into complaints and excuses. Different people apply different coping mechanisms under such scenarios. Personally. I never let my thoughts go to the dark side for long AND MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO NEVER GET MENTALLY NEGATIVE TO BEGIN WITH. It doesn't serve us well. I refuse to be negative refuse to let my mind go down a path of being a complainer. I always find ways to avoid long term mental negativity. For me, I do this when LD hiking by seeking ways to have fun, be grateful, to notice something of value I may be missing, by doing non always self absorbed hikes, and BY REALIZING and EXPERIENCING LD HIKING, THRU-HIKING, NOT JUST AS A HIKING ADVENTURE. Find ways to interrupt negative patterns of thought because if you don't you'll cede your mentality, and short to follow, behavior over to the negative.

Despite all the athleticism, fitness, and "how to do a speedy hike" talk to engage or consider pre thru-hike realize most AT thru-hikers are not in supreme fitness at the onset of their hikes. Yet, many of those same AT thru-hiker wannabees go on to finish their AT thru-hikes.

WORK YOUR WAY INTO YOUR THRU-HIKE! Most do. Be patient. Don't be anxious. It takes many steps and many days and nights to get to MT K. Chunk your hike down to smaller pieces so the thru-hiking adventure and experience doesn't take on such a huge endeavor. It takes a couple of wks to get your trail legs. It takes another two wks to get your thru-hiking legs. Don't start out to fast or go too long a daily distance at first! This is a huge mistake for AT hikers and takes many off the trail too soon into their thru-hikes. Despite the attitude of some that hike as if they are in a race you are not in a race. No need to get into comparing your hike, your daily mileage, your pace, etc with others. It is your hike! You hike your hike!

Taking along your dog poses pros and cons. Taking along a dog on a thru-hke of 2200 miles is major endeavor for a dog! It adds additional responsibilities to your hike but could possibly add to your hike in some other ways.

Since this is your first thru-hike the odds are quite high you will evolve as a hiker and so will your kit. Heck, after umpteen trail miles my kits and myself are still evolving. Embrace that too...evolution as a hiker. This means KNOW that you will be changing. Embrace the changes. You're on a journey. Let it happen.

So, what caught me off guard? A WHOLE LOT! No matter how much info you gather a whole lot will catch you off guard as well. The real measure of whether or not you complete your thru-hike is how you adapt to all the unexpected events.

rafe
09-07-2015, 01:56
+1 to Cobble's response. I hit the wall just shy of McAfee Knob and left the trail.

I simply wasn't hungry enough for Katahdin to put up with the boredom and drudgery.

I was so focused on Katahdin, I forgot to enjoy the journey.

Datto
09-07-2015, 03:21
Top Ten Surprises encountered when I thru-hked the Appalachian Trail (northbound):

1) I was surprised at how fast time elapsed. Next thing I new the leaves were turning and I was enterng Maine. Just seemed like time flew past so quickly.

2) I was completely surprised at how consistently nice people were on and along the Appalachian Trail. It wasn't a forced nice -- it was people who were naturally nice and friendly. Way nicer than normal. Me being from Indiana I was surprised some of the nicest people I met were people in New York. Also, some of the nicest people I met had never heard of the Appalachian Trail.

3) I was surprised New Jersey had so many swamps.

4) I was surprised at how I shrugged off all the shivering I was doing in Maine. I probably couldn't handle that much shivering today.

5) I was wildly surprised at how beautiful the Trail is when you are thru-hiking. I had been fortunate enough to have had past thru-hikers help me with my preperation -- they had hinted at what the beauty was without really telling me much.

6) I was surprised at how funny other AT thru-hikers were -- I walked into a shelter one morning where several thru-hikers had decided to sit out the rain and instead, occupy themselves with determining the funniest opening line to a complaint letter. Now that was funny. It started the first day too -- I had arrived at sundown on Springer Mountain and a group of hikers were watching the sunset when I climbed up on the rock. The top tip of the sun and just gone below the distant horizon and some thru-hiker stood up and exclaimed, "There! It dd it again!" Another thru-hiker arrived at Springer that night dressed entirely in green -- everything was green. Evidently that was the color that had been on sale when he went to by stuff for his thru-hike. I ended up seeng Riddler again when I summtted Katahdin.

7) I was surprised at how much weight people lost when thru-hiking. People I had first met on Springer Mountain -- when I saw them again on Katahdin for the first time in many months I ddn't recognize who they were because they were so ridiculously skinny and had a face full of beard. The guys too, same thing (just kidding).

8) I was surprised some of the most uptight people I've met in my life were thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail -- complete bigots, anti-anyone who had a non-traditional lifestyle and "their way was the only way" type of people -- those same people who started the AT like that in Georgia became close friends with other thru-hikers who were their opposite. That was truly amazing to see happen so many times on the AT. I think it was due to the disappearance of fears that happens to a person when they thru-hike the AT. Thru-hikers seem to become much more open minded about how others choose to live their lives and make their own choices rather than forcing their own views upon others. Plus, you can't carry all that burden and still go up and down mountains on a daily basis. It's too much weght to bear and still make northbound progress.

9) I was surprised at just how much time could be made up in Virginia. Wow a thru-hiker can really crank out some serious miles in Virginia if running behind or having started late.

10) I was surprised by the number of AT thru-hikers I met who I consider to be some of the best human beings I've ever met in my life.

Datto

garlic08
09-07-2015, 08:51
What caught me off guard (and amazed me):

How important it is to enjoy walking.

How little I needed to carry.

The amazing distance I could hike in day/week/month, that I could wake up every day to completely new scenery.

How well the body heals overnight, and the resilience of the body.

How little food I needed, and the fact that I could run out of food, get hungry, and still walk.

How many different types of people are out there, with different goals, different tools.

The volunteer effort going into trail maintenance, and that non-hikers can be a distinct part of a trail's culture.

Old Hiker
09-07-2015, 09:32
+1 on pretty much everything above.

1. How much HARD work, “just walking” actually is.

2. At the end, I was caught off-guard by a simple mud puddle on a perfectly flat section of the Trail.

3. People WERE pretty friendly, even to an old and shy guy with anti-social tendencies. Not just hikers, but pretty much anyone I met in town.

4. How much I could hurt at the end of the day.

5. How much I could hurt at the BEGINNING of the day.

6. How much I liked ibuprofen. And Motrin. And Aleve.

7. That I never, ever saw a Trail maintainer under the age of 55. Ever.

8. How unseasonably warm 2012 was. I over-planned.

9. How a 4 inch snow storm failed to kill me. Seriously – I was THAT worried.

10. That even after a 9 hour day of “just walking”, I wasn’t that hungry. Side-trail: I’m planning on MUCH less food this time.

11. How much water I drank. I will STILL filter and chem-sanitize my water.

12. How NASTY shelters are. I was glad I had a Tyvek ground cloth under my sleeping bag.

13. How a 20-ish girl (nothing personal – nothing sexist) with a soft cast for a sprained ankle could STILL out-hike me.

14. How depressed I could be when people would pass.

15. How elated I could be when I pass someone else. Twice? Three times? Whatever ! WHOO-HOO !!! PASSED SOMEONE !

16. How scary a bear sniffing outside your tent is until you realize it’s your beard scratching against your sleeping bag. :rolleyes:

Malto
09-07-2015, 09:34
Surprised..
1) just how enjoyable living day to day can be.
2) how you have to take the trail as it is not how you imagine it to be.
3) how close you can become to people so different than you.
4) how you get to know people for who they are vs. what they are or what they do.
5) how things just seem to work out. See point 2.
6) how bad some hikers feet can smell.
7) how much I love to walk.
8) that the crappiest weather or terrain will make the high points so much high.
9) how much I dislike zeros.

10) how you have to take the trail as it is not how you imagine it to be.

Busky2
09-07-2015, 12:08
How you can sit down at a perfect vista for a bit of lunch and then realize that it is time for some dinner just like that lost another afternoon. Kills my day just like that but I hike for the views so eh...

SteelCut
09-07-2015, 13:28
I was caught off-guard on how easy it was to get over-use injuries when hiking day after day after ... especially for an older hiker.

I thought that I was in good shape prior to my thru attempt this year. I could easily do 15+ mile days in the Southern Appalachians on overnight shakedown hikes. But overnight hikes are not representative of a thru hike where you hike every day. I was somewhat aware of this and reduced my mileage for the first couple of weeks but I still developed plantar fasciitis and had to get off the trail to rehab. After rehabbing for a month and after getting a good pair of insoles, I got back on and the PF was gone but then developed IT Band Syndrome after a week and increasing my mileage too quickly. I got off the trail again and have decided to re-boot and attempt another thru hike next year. My experiences from my first thru attempt have really made it clear to me how important proper training is (for me) and what I need to do for myself to be in trail shape before I start my attempt again next year.

At least I feel that I have my gear and pack weight dialed.

GreatDane
09-07-2015, 13:46
How really cold it was in them there mountains at night, especially for a Florida girl. Next time I'm taking a much, much warmer sleeping bag!

Don H
09-07-2015, 14:07
I was surprised at how much my milage dropped in NH and ME, by almost 50%.

ekeverette
09-07-2015, 14:23
Its totally the strength of your mind. Depression ran me off the tail around central va...... For me it helps to have a hiking buddy, not someone right on your heels, just someone at base camp who you can share with. Your buddy who can tell you tell you to take a time out and don't freak. If you're both in the same frame of mind, then BYE-BYE

Cobble
09-07-2015, 15:42
Oh! Ooh! Forgot how surprised I was to find how much fun the shelter logs were!

hours and hours of entertainment and wisdom. I became a better person from what I read and the people I read about. (I tried to add something encouraging in every entry)

BrianLe
09-08-2015, 10:17
The things that might take YOU off guard are a 9-1/2 pound baseweight with a mid-February start, and taking a dog on a mid-February start.

I've done the early start thing on the AT twice, once a thru-hike, once doing the first month with a thru-hiking friend (starting late Feb once and start of March another time). I can't imagine staying warm enough with a 9-1/2 pound baseweight. You say that you plan several more winter hikes to see how everything works out; I would urge you to make sure that one or more of these are overnight or longer trips, and not just day hikes.

I have zero experience with dogs on trail other than encountering them on trail or at shelters. I will say that I've seen a good number of dogs on trail and I've seen a fair number of people hiking early season, but I can't recall anyone hiking early season with a dog. How will your dog do in extended snow in the Smokies? How will it stay warm enough when the temps drop into the teens? I'm not saying this isn't do-able (I don't know), but ...

Mtsman
09-12-2015, 19:46
Man, I LOVE all the replies!! You guys are amazing!! Thank you for sharing and I hope this keeps up.

The things that might take YOU off guard are a 9-1/2 pound baseweight with a mid-February start, and taking a dog on a mid-February start.

I've done the early start thing on the AT twice, once a thru-hike, once doing the first month with a thru-hiking friend (starting late Feb once and start of March another time). I can't imagine staying warm enough with a 9-1/2 pound baseweight. You say that you plan several more winter hikes to see how everything works out; I would urge you to make sure that one or more of these are overnight or longer trips, and not just day hikes.

I have zero experience with dogs on trail other than encountering them on trail or at shelters. I will say that I've seen a good number of dogs on trail and I've seen a fair number of people hiking early season, but I can't recall anyone hiking early season with a dog. How will your dog do in extended snow in the Smokies? How will it stay warm enough when the temps drop into the teens? I'm not saying this isn't do-able (I don't know), but ...

I guess I should share what I have so you guys can pick it apart and maybe help with a few answers:

I have a Dream Hammock : http://www.dream-hammock.com/order_detail.html?order=1992
20 F ZEPPELIN 3/4th length Underquilt : http://www.undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html
15 F Marmot plasma: http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-plasma-15-sleeping-bag15-degree-down
A therm a rest zlite sleeping pad: http://www.rei.com/product/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad (cut down to size for sitting and using for under my legs at night)
A merino wool long sleeve tshirt (cant remember where I bought it)
A merino wool short sleeve tshirt (bought them both at the same time)
Columbia polyester omni shield shirt
White sierra zip pants
Frogg toggs top and bottoms
(I havent bought my down jacket yet, that is part of my 15% i am missing. I am going to wait to buy it last minute because I am boarder line on two different sizes and I hope to lose enough weight to sneak into the smaller size before I go)
and to hold it all...
Gossamear Gear Mariposa 60: http://gossamergear.com/mariposa-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html

That is just the stuff I thought I needed to share for the warmth thoughts. I have an excel spread sheet with all my weights and such. Once I get it finalized (or much closer) I will share the whole list for a reaming from everyone here possibly a month or two before I leave.

I am a very warm person. I have been seen in a couple of inches snow with shorts and sandals many times. Only my top half gets cold when I am in that type of weather for the most part and if I am really cold, I will pile EVERYTHING on at once. From reading here, I have notices many people say they only get cold at night and not during the hiking. That is why I focused so much on the sleeping snivel gear.

As for me and my mental capacity: I am a Veteran with war experience, I am quitting a pretty high paying job to join the AT (so there is "skin in the game"). I have already sold my house and I am living with a co-worker and I have sold almost everything I have (narrowed down to a small bedroom full of stuff now and a few heirlooms I couldn't part with in the garage). My family knows, my work knows, and I know that I will be joining the AT in Mid Feb. The reason for the early start? I don't like warm weather as much as I like cold weather and honestly, I think I will need the extra time to finish it. I have had multiple surgeries (knees, elbow, hernia, 9 places for stitches and 2 broken bones). I am VERY stubborn but facts can and will sway my opinion however, emotional pleas will not go very far with me.

I absolutely love what people are putting down here and I have read each and every post thus far. I hope I have directly or indirectly answered all the questions/concerns so far and if anyone thinks I missed something, feel free to bring it up. Thank you all very very much for what you have shared so far and although I am not much of a typist, I do read a ton on this site!

booney_1
09-12-2015, 20:10
dogs are not allowed in smokies...wool beanie...gloves...mittens...

Insulation on legs(ie base layer pants) can help keep whole body warm...good for in camp or in sleeping bag.

Don't know big your dog is...but you've got to carry weeks worth of dog food also...

Mtsman
09-12-2015, 20:28
dogs are not allowed in smokies...wool beanie...gloves...mittens...

Insulation on legs(ie base layer pants) can help keep whole body warm...good for in camp or in sleeping bag.

Don't know big your dog is...but you've got to carry weeks worth of dog food also...

yes! This is exactly my concerns with bringing my dog. I am leaning against it for sure as I would not be able to "complete" the AT with my dog without some major logistic battles. My dog is also a Pit Bull. Now, before anyone reams pitbulls she is the most loving and caring dog anyone has ever met. Pit Bulls get a bad rap but its because of this bad rap that I would have an even harder time getting into places in the trail towns to sleep. I am not concerned with the weight of her food as she often hikes with me and carries her own "pack" and food. We have been out on 4 day hikes before and done just fine as far as her food supply but its the rules and regs of parts of the AT that will ultimately keep me from bringing her.

ahh, I forgot to mention my head gear. I plan on wearing a buff almost always and I have a Watch cap left over from my service i plan on using. http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Watch-Cap-Foliage-Green/dp/B002ZVMJII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442103983&sr=8-1&keywords=army+watch+cap

I did not think about glove though~! hrmm maybe I could use a spare set of my smart wool socks? Has anyone tried this with success? Good point Booney. I will look into some ultra light options. Thanks!

Fredt4
09-12-2015, 21:16
yes! This is exactly my concerns with bringing my dog. I am leaning against it for sure as I would not be able to "complete" the AT with my dog without some major logistic battles. My dog is also a Pit Bull. Now, before anyone reams pitbulls she is the most loving and caring dog anyone has ever met. Pit Bulls get a bad rap but its because of this bad rap that I would have an even harder time getting into places in the trail towns to sleep. I am not concerned with the weight of her food as she often hikes with me and carries her own "pack" and food. We have been out on 4 day hikes before and done just fine as far as her food supply but its the rules and regs of parts of the AT that will ultimately keep me from bringing her.

ahh, I forgot to mention my head gear. I plan on wearing a buff almost always and I have a Watch cap left over from my service i plan on using. http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Watch-Cap-Foliage-Green/dp/B002ZVMJII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442103983&sr=8-1&keywords=army+watch+cap

I did not think about glove though~! hrmm maybe I could use a spare set of my smart wool socks? Has anyone tried this with success? Good point Booney. I will look into some ultra light options. Thanks!

Wore a similar cap early in the season, it's very nice to have when it cold.

fiddlehead
09-12-2015, 21:36
What caught you off guard on your first Thru attempt?

How much I really enjoyed being out there.

Now that I have a kid, I just wait for the time when he's old enough that I can get out again.
In the meantime, it's going into the jungle whenever I get the chance for a day (rarely two as it's just too hot and buggy)

booney_1
09-12-2015, 23:11
Don't use your spare socks for gloves. You should bring a cheap pair of wool gloves (like running gloves) to wear while hiking. I'd also bring a pair of mittens for when it gets real cold. Thin liner type of gloves are nice for when you are in camp and need finger dexterity, but want to keep hands warm. I would have minimum of three pairs of socks. Understand that much of the AT in NC goes along ridge lines. It can get very cold and windy in the winter.

lemon b
09-13-2015, 07:06
That would be 1978. What caught me off guard was my foot wear & the importance of really taking care of my feet. I was no rookie in total bag nights but actually started off wearing Army Jungle Boots, ya know the ones made for swamps with plastic soles. My thinking was they were light. Obviously, they don't do well on rocks. Changed out to sneakers and discovered they did not last. Finally just ended up with regular old leather work boots. Found out how little I knew and was rewarded with the development of an open mind.

BrianLe
09-13-2015, 10:27
I think it's the 9-1/2 pound base weight thing that threw me off. I suspect that your 85% of gear will end up being less than 85% of total weight.

Warm cap: definitely. In the teens I liked a balaclava that covered my nose (and other parts) --- for me at least, at cold temps my nose can be painfully cold at night. Perhaps less of an issue in a hammock.
Layering the balaclava with another warm (peruvian type for me) hat was good, so I could control temp. What you need when you're stationary is quite different than what you want while hiking. I really liked using a synthetic ball cap and earbags (something to keep the wind off my ears) when hiking in colder temps. Start hiking in the morning with the peru-style hat over my ball cap, stuff it in a pocket once I was warmed up.
The hat situation is also impacted by whether you get a down jacket or a parka (i.e., with a hood or not).

One factor to consider perhaps with a hammock: in the colder times, typical for me and folks I hiked with was to do most things at night and in the morning "half in the bag", i.e., leaning against the shelter wall as a backrest, lower body warm in the sleeping bag. In that context, the upper body warmth layer was most important, and I used a Montbell parka that was a great mix of weight to warmth I thought. In the hammock I'd guess you would do more of your "camp stuff" outside of the hammock, depending to some degree on whether you plan to stay at/near shelters or not. In Jan/Feb there likely aren't too-o many people on trail, and I really enjoyed the folks that were, so I could see perhaps you might use your overquilt that way in a shelter just to eat meals and socialize (?). Something to think about anyway.

I own a Mariposa Plus, and it strikes me as a great choice IF the bulk of your gear is under control. Quilt, underquilt and down jacket/parka alone can bulk up quite a bit unless you're happy compressing your down a bit more than I like to. Add to that more clothes than you take in warmer conditions and then factor in that slower travel in snow plus more calories burned in snow can make the food load a bit bulkier than is typical for the AT. Something perhaps to test out, though you can shove a lot of stuff in external mesh on that pack.

Definitely mittens. I found that these generally weren't available for purchase along the AT (I found that once I lost one along the way). But thin synthetic inner gloves (you'll know these from your military experience) coupled with warm outer mittens, and then bread bags perhaps for wet hypothermic conditions. Like you, I stay pretty warm when I'm moving, so long as I have my extremities covered. But with a down jacket as your warmth layer you might nevertheless want something more than just a shirt and wind/rain layer on the move at times. I had a light synthetic vest to beef that up for on the move, or to layer with my down jacket in camp, and that was a great cold weather combo for me.

One particular nice thing about layering things: as things warm up, you can just mail stuff home, rather than in every case having to do actual gear swaps. It's helpful to think about that transition, typically I think (for a NOBO) in Virginia somewhere, of course very much depending on when you start.

If you don't have a dedicated pair of sleeping socks, I really suggest that. I had down booties and those made things so much nicer in the colder nights/mornings.

I loved going early season. I thought the number (and type) of people was just ideal, and there was I think more of a sense of community and shared adventure. You sound like someone who will thrive in that --- best of luck!

Just Bill
09-13-2015, 12:07
A broken leg.

Mtsman
09-13-2015, 20:54
... I loved going early season. I thought the number (and type) of people was just ideal, and there was I think more of a sense of community and shared adventure. You sound like someone who will thrive in that --- best of luck!

Thanks Gadget. I appreciate the advice too!

A broken leg.

Whoa, you cant just come in here and say "broken leg" and fly off. How did you break your leg on the AT?

I am eager to hear more of what caught others "off guard" on their AT attempt/success.

coyote9
11-17-2015, 00:13
Definitely micro spikes.

Wooobie
11-17-2015, 02:30
Honestly the community of it all caught me off guard. I expected to mostly be alone.

lemon b
11-17-2015, 05:09
My feet. It was 1978.

Ercoupe
11-17-2015, 07:08
The two things that surprised me most

1. Taking breaks always produced new aches and pains for the next mile.

2. I always worried more about wife and kids, than about myself. I knew I was alright.

Skinny Rooster
11-17-2015, 10:06
I was surprised at how much my milage dropped in NH and ME, by almost 50%.

+1

The Whites and Southern Maine was a completely different ball game.

Odd Man Out
11-17-2015, 10:28
...16. How scary a bear sniffing outside your tent is until you realize it’s your beard scratching against your sleeping bag. :rolleyes:

Enjoying all of these, but this one was the best. Thanks

Proton
11-17-2015, 12:23
I just emailed your response to my wife. It really explains my obsessive desire to get out to the trail. Thank you. (EDIT: message to datto.)

1azarus
11-17-2015, 12:43
Thanks Gadget. I appreciate the advice too!

Whoa, you cant just come in here and say "broken leg" and fly off. How did you break your leg on the AT?

I am eager to hear more of what caught others "off guard" on their AT attempt/success.

my goodness. You have just taught Just Bill the incredible power of a short and mysterious response!

Just Bill
11-17-2015, 14:04

my goodness. You have just taught Just Bill the incredible power of a short and mysterious response!

:D Hell, pappy's been trying for years to teach me that. Just haven't sussed it out quite yet... but I'm open to tryin'.
How's this..

Mtsman-
It's in my book.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2015, 14:26
how easy, physically it was

Cheyou
11-30-2015, 20:17
How many rocks in Pa

thom

Mountain Mike
11-30-2015, 21:28
How hard it was at the start
How quick it became easier
That hikers are like minded & helpfull
After a couple of hundred miles food was prime motivator
Walking wet is normal
Putting on cold wet hiking clothes every morning sucks! (Still sucks after 7K miles & doubt my opinion will change)
Fellow hikers will become life long friends

4eyedbuzzard
11-30-2015, 21:50
1976 - Rain (it rains a lot in spring), cold (and cold and wet), monotony (just hiking day after day after day ...), loneliness (the trail wasn't near as crowded in '76), how much I missed non-trail stuff (friends, golf, beach, etc.). But mostly, how important (or not) thru-hiking actually was to me. It wasn't. I was done in Damascus.

kayak karl
11-30-2015, 22:15
the boredom !

Rolex
11-30-2015, 22:40

I don't judge. But pits are prone to unseen hip problems aggravated by extended walking.

If you gave up a high paying job and your stuff, maybe plan on heading straight out to the PCT,CDT, or John Muir trails. Get it while the getting is good.

I haven't attempted a thru hike. My life circumstances don't allow it for now. But I do backpack. A lot.

Heres my surprises.

1. The first hills (hell, all of them) really sucked.
2. Chipmunks,rodents, & ants will find their way into your food bag if not hung up or canned.
3. Walking in a cloud, fog, or rain and snow can cause you to put your miserable head down and start plodding resulting in you waking up to find you ain't got a clue where you are.
4. Road walking on pavement sucks.
5. Girls all seem prettier. Even the dirty ones. (Not the good kind of dirty!) the nasty ones. Oh wait. Not that way either. Oh bother, I'm stopping.

RockDoc
12-01-2015, 14:40
The thing that caught me off guard, when I hiked Springer to Hot Springs in April 2009, was just how easily self-proclaimed "thru hikers" up and quit the trail. After listening to them brag about their "thru hike" for weeks, they would suddenly just say they were leaving.

Praha4
12-01-2015, 20:16
biggest 1st time "surprise" for me was just how important was the selection of proper footwear. The right size shoe/boot, the right socks, it all fit together in a system. I had boots that were a 1/2 size too small, with thick merino socks and sock liners. Had problems with foot blisters by time I got to NOC. Took me a long time to realize I needed to go up a 1/2 size on shoes and use thinner socks to help prevent blisters.

fiddlehead
12-01-2015, 21:07
The only surprises I remember from the 1st time (1977) was that my girlfriend liked it.
I figured she'd quite after the first few days.

Other than that?
The fact that travelers checks said the word "VOID" on them once they got wet.
That caused some interesting (and hungry) times.

And the fact that raingear doesn't really work.
I think that's still true today.

CarlZ993
12-01-2015, 21:26
I was surprised by many things:
- How tough the trail was. Especially in NH & ME. I was glad I was in shape when I started. Do yourself a favor. Be in decent shape when you start.
- How nice the people were along the trail (particularly early on). It made me reflect on myself. I wanted to be a better person to other people when I finished.
- How much I hated to hike in the rain. And it seems to rain a lot. Still don't like hiking in the rain. But, it comes w/ the territory.
- Overall, how the scenery wasn't a nice as I had hoped for. I've done a lot of hiking out West & in other countries that are a lot more scenic. (Some places on the AT were scenic, but most was just hiking in the forest w/ limited views)
- How social the hike was. In just a couple of days of hiking together, you become good friends & keep up the friendship after the hike.
- How much it affected me. I think about my times on the trail a lot. Fortunately, most of it is selective memory. I don't remember the freezing, wet, hot, buggy, &/or miserable stuff as much as the good days. :)
- How poorly I was able to pick out people who I thought would or wouldn't make. You can see all their gear they have & can see their competence (or lack there of). You can't see their desire to finish the trail.
- How wrong I was about thinking I was a strong hiker. I saw many hiking much stronger physically as well as mentally. There are some studs out there on the trail.
- I was surprised to learn the REAL definition of HYOH: 'Hike your own hike... but if you do it differently than me, you're doing it wrong.' :)

Good luck on your hike.

TEXMAN
12-06-2015, 16:19
How long the nights are in Feb,
How long a mile is in the mtns vs on a treadmill
How my plans were always too optimistic

BonBon
01-02-2016, 21:03
What surprised me on my thru-it was my first time backpacking- was how sometimes I would get incredibly bored. I didn't expect that. It happened on and off from GA to NH - not so much in Maine. It was my single biggest challenge, I think. Almost sent me home in VA.