PDA

View Full Version : washing tent

yoyo123
09-07-2015, 15:30
I have both a Eureka and a Kelty tent that need to be washed. I plan to do it in the bathtub, so no worries about damage from a machine...my question is what to use for the mild soap? Woolite? Something else? I'd rather not buy a $20 specialty product if I can avoid it. They don't 'look' dirty, but they've been stored in a humid garage for a while and they stink. Will using anything other than plain water attract critters or destroy the waterproofing?

Franco
09-07-2015, 18:12
Yes Woolite and warm (not hot) water will do it.
Rinse well.

Vegan Packer
09-07-2015, 19:43
For dive smelly gear, very highly diluted Simple Green with warm water works wonders. I don't know anything about how it would react with backpacking gear, like silnylon or cuben fiber, etc. There are often cleaning directions on some of the manufacturer's sites.

ocourse
09-07-2015, 20:11
A bar of Ivory in the (gentle) wash, and remove the bar of soap before the end of the wash cycle.

Traveler
09-08-2015, 07:47
I use Nikwax Tech Wash on all my technical fabrics (clothing, packs, tent, etc) to better ensure the original coating is not ruined by using the wrong soap. Waterproofing can be damaged if the wrong process is used. Your best bet may be going back to the manufacturer and see what they recommend for cleaning their tents.

Vegan Packer
09-08-2015, 16:56
Even if there are no directions on the manufacturers' web sites, any that I have ever contacted by phone or email have been great at answering my questions.

atraildreamer
09-09-2015, 16:32
A bar of Ivory in the (gentle) wash, and remove the bar of soap before the end of the wash cycle.

Ivory Flakes are also a good choice. Also, suitable for other down-filled products. 32005

yoyo123
09-11-2015, 11:08
Thanks all. Eureka said regular Woolite is fine, although I can only find the 'extra delicate' one...hopefully it doesn't smell, I'll have to see. Kelty said liquid hand soap is ok, although don't they all have a scent? I'll have to see if I can find one that isn't too offensive.

Franco
09-11-2015, 14:28
"Kelty said liquid hand soap is ok"
Did they say hand soap or pure soap ?
As already mentioned pure soap is safe with most if not all outdoor gear.
It is sold often as Pure Soap Flakes or you can buy it diluted at a premium as Down Soap.

yoyo123
09-11-2015, 20:02
they said hand soap, which struck me as a little odd. Maybe they misspoke?