Sorry-here we go again.It was on Fox News this morning 11-28-2005
and on Yahoo News as well.Mama bear climbs 30 feet up tree to attack a
deer hunter and just about eats his leg off before he managed to shoot her
dead.The only question i have is whether or not he was wearing "scent" to
attract other deer or mask human odor-article did not say.It happened this
past weekend.
Cheers.
Oldfivetango

Wow! I was just hiking on the Pinhoti Trail and passed a lot of hunters.

I bet it was provoked. But who knows....

neo
11-28-2005, 21:17
i did not know that bears are in alabama :cool: neo

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 21:21
Yep. We had them down there. We even had them over in Louisiana when I was stationed there. Imagine a land where alligators, bobcats, poisonous snakes, bears, and coyotes all live in the same area. Great stuff for messing with the 'cruits.

jlb2012
11-28-2005, 21:24
SGT Rock, shouldn't this thread be moved out of the Articles area?

SGT Rock
11-28-2005, 21:25
I didn't realize it was in that section.

MOWGLI
11-28-2005, 21:52
FYI, that is nowhere near the Pinhoti Trail. Its hours south & west of the southern terminus.

Tha Wookie
11-28-2005, 22:21
FYI, that is nowhere near the Pinhoti Trail. Its hours south & west of the southern terminus.

Especially since I was on the GA Pinhoti!

Still lots of hunters and wildlife....

MOWGLI
11-28-2005, 22:45
Especially since I was on the GA Pinhoti!

Still lots of hunters and wildlife....

Nate, could you give us a trip report in the Other Trails forum? Most folks know very little about this trail.

chief
11-29-2005, 13:29
Here's a link

http://www.nbc13.com/news/5416191/detail.html?rss=bir&psp=news

and general links about bears in Alabama

http://www.forestry.state.al.us/publication/TF_publications/tfsummer99/blackbear_in_alabama.pdf#search='baldwin%20county% 20bears'

http://www.al.com/specialreport/mobileregister/?delta2/a215779a.html

Dances with Mice
11-29-2005, 13:43
Bear season just opened in New Jersey.

Of course, there they do it a little different. They get the bear to go for a ride in a Cadillac then a guy in the backseat strangles him.

Newb
11-30-2005, 14:21
That guy must be mighty slow with his rifle or a VERY bad aim if the bear managed to chew on him that long before he shot it. I bet he had deer scent all over him, or he might have had food scent and game meat smell and deer scent and aftershave.....

sherrill
11-30-2005, 15:02
"She was hanging on to the meat, I was hanging on to the seat."

Is he describing his leg? Ouch.

Spartan Hiker
11-30-2005, 16:13
Sorry-here we go again.It was on Fox News this morning 11-28-2005
and on Yahoo News as well.Mama bear climbs 30 feet up tree to attack a
deer hunter and just about eats his leg off before he managed to shoot her
dead.The only question i have is whether or not he was wearing "scent" to
attract other deer or mask human odor-article did not say.It happened this
past weekend.
Cheers.
Oldfivetango

Probably chewin' on a Snickers bar up in the stand...aka "Bear Bait" :p

tlbj6142
11-30-2005, 16:31
I suspect the whole story is a bit of lie. I just don't see a bear (even a mother bear) minding its own business, lookin' up to see a hunter and deciding to climb a tree and take a bite.

I bet he was on the ground doin' something he shouldn't have been doing, the bear attached and he shot it on the ground.

Newb
11-30-2005, 16:33
Maybe the bear was so despondent over having to live in Alabama that it climbed the tree intending to jump and only accidentally ran into the hunter.

SGT Rock
11-30-2005, 17:47
More likely the bear had been hunting that tree for a long time and finally some hunter fell for it.

totempole99
11-30-2005, 19:47
I still fail to see how the bear had enough time to get to the tree and climb up thirty feet before the guy could even get a shot off. Only thing I can think of is if he was asleep

tlbj6142
11-30-2005, 21:19
I still fail to see how the bear had enough time to get to the tree and climb up thirty feet before the guy could even get a shot off. Only thing I can think of is if he was asleepIf this story is true (which I doubt), it could happen if he wasn't paying attention. This past summer I watched a tiny, iddy, bitty black bear cub shoot 20' up a tree in less than 3-4 seconds.

If hunter was using the tree for a stand, it was probably a clean branch free climb to his position. I'm sure a healthy bear could do that very quickly (2-3 seconds). Bears are quite quiet when walking, so she could have been a the foot of the tree and the guy wouldn't have noticed. The bear could have been upon him before he realized what was happening.

But why? That's the biggest question. Unless the guy was choaking a cub, I just can't see why a bear would do such a thing. Even then, both times I have seen a mother bear with cubs, she took off and left them behind. I could have almost clubbed one of the cubs I saw.

SGT Rock
11-30-2005, 21:22
MAybe he had a Snicker bar in his pocket.

Or maybe the hunter was in the Bear's tree stand.

chief
12-01-2005, 02:02
Maybe the bear was so despondent over having to live in Alabama that it climbed the tree intending to jump and only accidentally ran into the hunter.
You so funny, troutboy

saimyoji
12-01-2005, 02:05

Damn. Now I know what to do when I'm in 'Bama.

'Git the noose Cooter, we got us a linchin.' :eek:

Youngblood
12-01-2005, 09:49
Maybe the bear was so despondent over having to live in Alabama that it climbed the tree intending to jump and only accidentally ran into the hunter.If you had actually ever lived in Alabama, you would realize that the most likely reason was that the bear was actually somehow related to or a big fan of da Bear, the hunter was likely wearing an orange hunters cap, the bear was furious about Bama losing four straight times to Auburn and either the orange hunters cap was actually an Auburn cap or the bear thought it was.

SGT Rock
12-01-2005, 09:51
If you had actually ever lived in Alabama, you would realize that the most likely reason was that the bear was actually somehow related to or a big fan of da Bear, the hunter was likely wearing an orange hunters cap, the bear was furious about Bama losing four straight times to Auburn and either the orange hunters cap was actually an Auburn cap or the bear thought it was.
Damn I never thought about that. You are probably right. Damn Auburn fans hunting all over the state. It is a wonder that more of them ain't shot these days.

chief
12-01-2005, 23:57
Damn I never thought about that. You are probably right. Damn Auburn fans hunting all over the state. It is a wonder that more of them ain't shot these days.
Having lived in LA most of my life, I've come to the conclusion that Auburn fans actually hold degrees from that fine institution. Whereas, Alabama fans are fans only because the games were televised on the only station they could pick up in the trailer park. BTW, Alabama fans, like their quarterback, can't hit the broad side of a barn door.

Bjorkin
12-02-2005, 00:34
War Damn Eagle!

Paywau
12-21-2005, 16:32
Maybe the hunter was an Alabama Fan and the bear an Auburn fan. The bear simply got upset with the hunter wearing his teams colors.

Seriously, I missed the story. Not much of a news watcher, while not on one of the AT sites I am normally out in the woods. Communing with the animals as my wife says. I hope the guy is OK. Wish the bear was. Does sound kind of hoakie to me though. I have lived in the woods of central Alabama most of my life and never seen one. Saw my first live ones in (2 cubs and a Momma) and near (lone male) the GSMNP in November.

G.I. JOE
12-23-2005, 11:58
I was bow hunting two years ago and on my way to my tree stand, I got stuck between mama bear and her two cubs. This is not a place you want to be with a bow and three arrows. The cubs sented me and climbed two different trees one at my 10 o'clock and one at my 3. Of course the cubs let mommy know right where I was. I had a million things running through my head, all kinds of stories and movies. Out west the bears ack differently than they do in the northeast. For one the whole playing dead thing thats bull**** they will attack anyway. Black bears climb trees and they run surprizingly fast. So I stood up grabbed a tree limb and made a whole lot noise. That is the first time I had ever heard a black bear snarl and his, at less then ten feet that is pretty intimidating. My intention that day was to harvest a deer but I drew my bow. She put up a great show, but never came any closer than that. After about 2 minutes of charging and circling she made her way around me to the cubs they were about 30 feet away. I started to walk backwards away from them. When I was about 200 feet away I B-lined it for my truck. I decided that it was a great experience. I relized later she was just as scared as I was. I don't hunt in that area anymore, once is enough. I was very lucky.

One more thing I did piss myself.

Tha Wookie
12-23-2005, 12:03
I was bow hunting two years ago and on my way to my tree stand, I got stuck between mama bear and her two cubs. This is not a place you want to be with a bow and three arrows. The cubs sented me and climbed two different trees one at my 10 o'clock and one at my 3. Of course the cubs let mommy know right where I was. I had a million things running through my head, all kinds of stories and movies. Out west the bears ack differently than they do in the northeast. For one the whole playing dead thing thats bull**** they will attack anyway. Black bears climb trees and they run surprizingly fast. So I stood up grabbed a tree limb and made a whole lot noise. That is the first time I had ever heard a black bear snarl and his, at less then ten feet that is pretty intimidating. My intention that day was to harvest a deer but I drew my bow. She put up a great show, but never came any closer than that. After about 2 minutes of charging and circling she made her way around me to the cubs they were about 30 feet away. I started to walk backwards away from them. When I was about 200 feet away I B-lined it for my truck. I decided that it was a great experience. I relized later she was just as scared as I was. I don't hunt in that area anymore, once is enough. I was very lucky.

One more thing I did piss myself.

haha.... great post!