PDA

View Full Version : Stove Needed For The AT

Googan
09-08-2015, 00:13
I'm looking into the MSR and Jetboil right now but I'm looking for advice on stoves for the AT.

TJ aka Teej
09-08-2015, 00:23
I've used them all.
I like the Pocket Rocket best.

frontovik193
09-08-2015, 00:44
I use the MSR pocket rocket for almost all my trips and love it. I can boil water in around 2 minutes and the BTU output is surprisingly strong. You can also adjust the output for more fine tuned cooking. The stove attachment is fairly light and compact (around 3 oz) but the fuel canisters can get heavy. I also found it helps to use a stand (1.3 oz) as the setup can be top heavy. Lost a meal because of that once... I will most likely be bringing my alcohol stove on longer distance hikes as they are super simple, light and you can find the fuel almost anywhere.

Googan
09-08-2015, 00:52
I've used them all.
I like the Pocket Rocket best.

Does the MSR fit inside a mug or something else to save room in my pack?

MuddyWaters
09-08-2015, 00:53
I like alcohol best because its quiet.

I dont mind a ul cannister stove setup though. The way i use it its very efficient.
Some love jetboil for its predictable efficiency and speed.

Its really just preference and depends on cooking style.

The little brs3000t is a good cannister stove for $13 from gearbest, and weighs 0.9 oz.

Lone Wolf
09-08-2015, 06:16
pocket rocket

kombiguy
09-08-2015, 06:27
I'm an old guy, so take this with a grain of salt. Svea123.

bigcranky
09-08-2015, 06:40
I see a LOT of Jetboils on the trail. Also a lot of alcohol stoves. I've owned at least six different canister stoves, and the Jetboil is the most fuel efficient, which is useful if you can't resupply canisters very often. It's also the fastest, though you are pretty much locked in to their integrated pot if you want the most efficiency.

Alcohol is much easier to find at small gas stations and supermarkets on the AT. One always knows how much alcohol one has left, while with a canister one often needs to carry a second one "just in case".

These days I am lazy and almost always bring the Jetboil.

Tuckahoe
09-08-2015, 06:49
Personally I use a DIY alcohol stove, but my opinion is that all the canister stoves are the same and you can not go wrong with any of them.

If you are considering a Pocket Rocket, then take a moment to look into the BRS 3000T --
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301638937494?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Small titanium stove that weighs just 0.9 oz, and at $16 I think Iit is the best all around stove right now for weight, performance and cost.

I bought one for a kid I've been mentoring and coupled the BRS stove with a Lite My Fire spork, and this cook set -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/151489824113?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT -- for a kit that came in at about $31 & change.

nsherry61
09-08-2015, 12:30
Yes, the pocket rocket can fit nicely in a pot.
If you are looking into the BRS300T, SectionHiker has a review (http://sectionhiker.com/olicamp-ion-micro-titanium-stove/) on the same stove by a different name.

I find I end up using my jetboil more than any other stove just because it is so easy and fast.
I use a non-jetboil canister stove when I want to also use my pot for cooking over a fire. So then, I take a flat bottom which the jetboil doesn't work well with.

Being from the left coast, I have not yet backpacked the AT, but, I have read on many occasions that finding canisters is really never a problem along the AT.

If I am going ultralight, I take one of my home-made alcohol stoves, which also work fine, but have a much higher fiddle factor than the jetboil and are not legal in some high-fire danger areas.

Tuckahoe
09-08-2015, 12:35
And a stove similar to the Fire Maple Mini --
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPESB0U?psc=1

Casey & Gina
09-08-2015, 12:43
I'm the odd one out - I like the Toaks Wood Stove. Works great and I don't want to have to buy, carry, or run out of fuel.

Tuckahoe
09-08-2015, 13:41
Yes, the pocket rocket can fit nicely in a pot.
If you are looking into the BRS300T, SectionHiker has a review (http://sectionhiker.com/olicamp-ion-micro-titanium-stove/) on the same stove by a different name.

I find I end up using my jetboil more than any other stove just because it is so easy and fast.
I use a non-jetboil canister stove when I want to also use my pot for cooking over a fire. So then, I take a flat bottom which the jetboil doesn't work well with.

Being from the left coast, I have not yet backpacked the AT, but, I have read on many occasions that finding canisters is really never a problem along the AT.

If I am going ultralight, I take one of my home-made alcohol stoves, which also work fine, but have a much higher fiddle factor than the jetboil and are not legal in some high-fire danger areas.

And a stove similar to the Fire Maple Mini --
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPESB0U?psc=1

One last note -- while they are similar I would not describe the BRS and the Olicamp as the same stove by different names. The Olicamp and Fire Maple are more alike while the BRS looks the same, the burner head is different.

swisscross
09-08-2015, 13:50
I prefer the SnowPeak Giga over the MSR canister stoves.

Lately been using a Fancy Feast alcy stove I bought from Zelph.
Lighter and quiet.

Feral Bill
09-08-2015, 16:09
I'm an old guy, so take this with a grain of salt. Svea123. If you want a stove you can rely on for decades to come, that's it.

Mags
09-08-2015, 17:19
I've been using the BRS this past summer. It is strictly for boil and cook meals with a small pot, but for less than $20 it works well enough. It is not as versatile as something like the Pocket Rocket, but it fits a niche well (In my case, alcohol stove replacement for the times I want a hot meal in the increasingly dry west and with open flame bans...)

http://www.pmags.com/alcohol-stove-alternative-hornet-brs-3000t

BirdBrain
09-08-2015, 17:40
If I had to recommend one for someone else, it would be a jetboil. If I could choose one for myself, it would be an eCHS. The first one is easy and reliable. The second one is a PITA to build correctly, but is the most efficient and functional alcohol stove I have ever seen. Few have one. Few are willing to devote a ton of time perfecting the built. Only obsessed tinkers are. That is me. Obsessed and I love to tinker.

CarlZ993
09-08-2015, 22:20
I used Zelph's Fancee Feast alcohol stove on my AT hike. Worked fine. Alcohol stoves are quite common on the AT. Fuel is easy to find. But, they are not as fast to boil water as canister stoves (I only saw one white gas stove on the AT & a couple of guys who cooked exclusively on wood fires).

I own tons of different stoves. All will work. Some are lighter than others. Some are more efficient than others. My current favorite - lightweight & efficient - is the Soto Windmaster stove (2.8 oz w/ case). The burner head is concave in shape. There is a raised rim around the burner head that shields the flame from the wind. The pot support is a separate item that is place on & then off of the burner head. Really simple to do. There is a guy on YouTube - Hiking Jim (Adventures in Stoving) that has a nice video on the Windmaster stove.

Good luck in your decision. When in doubt, buy several & see which one you like the best. [One gearhead trying to lead another down path of gear-geekdom. :) ]

Wildfang
09-08-2015, 22:46
I used to hate jetboils because they only boiled water...what if you wanted to cook soup or you weren't eating a dehydrated meal. Then they came out with the minimo. I love it. It works great and i've never had any issues.

Before the minimo, i used the pocket rocket. Loved it. Only downside is you have to get extra pots and pans or whatever while the jetboil is a complete system.

Sorta boils (get it) down to personal preference. Both work great and are lightweight.
See if you can rent them or borrow them from someone for a few overnights before you buy em.

Odd Man Out
09-09-2015, 00:03
I have been pairing the eCHS stove with an Olicamp XTS pot and a combo wind screen/pot stsnd. This pot has heat exchangers like a Jet boil so I have the option of using it with a canister stove without having to buy a whole new system. It's not UL but I like the versitility.

Venchka
09-09-2015, 08:05

I think mine dates from 1974, + or -. I still have the fuel bottles, pump, spare parts, SIGG Tourist cookset, etc. that I bought so that my wife & I could go backpacking. I made these purchases before I learned that my first wife didn't sleep on the ground in a tent. Kinda put an end to backpacking together. I kept the gear. I kept my first wife too.

Wayne

whiteout
09-09-2015, 09:33
Jetboil will be in my pack.

George
09-09-2015, 10:17
my choice is more rare than the wood burners -

http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Ultralight-Folding-Titanium-Tablets/dp/B002AQET2C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1441807569&sr=8-4&keywords=esbit+stove

http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Ultralight-Ultra-thin-Titanium-Windproof/dp/B00V9ZH67K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442067508&sr=8-1&keywords=titanium+windscreen

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Trek-Titanium-Cookset/dp/B000AR2N7Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1441807922&sr=8-8&keywords=titanium+cup+backpacking

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Coghlans-Fuel-Tablets-9565_p_29415.html

tablets are the only stove fuel that you can fly with and ship priority mail

Googan
09-09-2015, 20:47
I think I'm going to go with the pocket rocket. I'm looking at the Toaks pots right now. Any idea what size pot I should get?

Harmless
09-09-2015, 20:56
I finally retired my Svea this year. I got it for my 14th birthday. I'm 56. Loud a Krakatoa. Heavy as a tank. Reliable for 42 years.

I replaced it with... nothing. I just quit cooking.

Googan
09-09-2015, 21:01
It doesn't have to be a toaks pot

SkraM
09-09-2015, 21:04
MSR Pocket Rocket is my go to trail stove.

Casey & Gina
09-09-2015, 22:15
I think I'm going to go with the pocket rocket. I'm looking at the Toaks pots right now. Any idea what size pot I should get?

Mine is 1100. I got that because the Toaks wood stove nests perfectly inside of it (and my 650ml cup inside of that), but it's the perfect size regardless.

frontovik193
09-10-2015, 00:50
Just to chime in some more... I used my pocket rocket for breakfast this morning on a trip I just got back from. Great piece of gear. I like the ability to use different pieces of cook wear depending on the situation. I used a small nesting cook pot to boil water this time, but i have used the same stove with a small fry pan to cook potatoes and even fish.

Mtsman
09-13-2015, 22:08
You can laugh at me if you want but I prefer the solo stove with my evernew pot and pan

stove: http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Stove-Backpacking-Emergency-Preparation/dp/B007DBD3IU

Evernew: http://www.cyclocamping.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECA417/8/9&gdftrk=gdfV21985_a_7c361_a_7c4535_a_7cECA417&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvdSvBRDahavi3KPGrvUBEiQATZ9v0OPUYpX1 trwWRzPcBA-X_WZ8AdSE6ohZyhJx0n_Iy2saAs2H8P8HAQ

I went through the pocket rocket and canister setup and I liked it i just hated running out of fuel or carrying extra canisters. The only thing I carry is an esbit tablet or two just in case it rains too much to find a few dry sticks on the ground. When all else fails I have used a bit of hand sanitizer to get the damp sticks going.

I also went through these stoves before i finally liked the evernew (with the snowpeak and toaks cup being the only other ones i didnt give away)

Snowpeak: http://www.rei.com/product/768602/snow-peak-trek-900-titanium-cookset?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-7686020012&mr:trackingCode=308D4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=52774011400&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=133227616600&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA

Toaks cup: http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-CUP-450-Titanium-450ml-Cup/dp/B008NOYQ6E (too small, kept it for possible coffee cup though)

Toaks pot pan combo: http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium-1100ml-Pot-Pan/dp/B009MZHRKU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1442195259&sr=1-2&keywords=toaks+titanium+pot+pan

GSI: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3998013&page=3 (that is the dualist i tried because i thought family would be into it, they weren't lol)

The only thing I am not crazy about on the evernew pot/pan combo is the non-stick. I havent run into any problems yet but we will see.

Casey & Gina
09-14-2015, 08:01
You can laugh at me if you want but I prefer the solo stove with my evernew pot and pan

No laughing here, glad to see another wood-burner! I'm using a Toaks setup myself. Curious what made you give up on the Toaks pot and if you also considered the Toaks stove but had some specific reasons for going with the Solo?

Aram
09-21-2015, 11:06
If weight is a concern go with alcohol stove. If weight is not a concern it's because you're reading on the internet and aren't currently carrying your equipment. This is because an empty small canister is heavier than most complete alcohol setups.

Fuel type vs. Fuel type the alcohol burns at a lower temp requiring slightly longer boil time but offers less burning of food in your pot. Titanium cookware transfers heat so quickly that burning food to the bottom does happen.

Canister stoves are excellent and I enjoy them. The MSR are very popular but there are much better options these days.

Consider a Fire Maple, the people over at a lightweight backpacking forum perform testing and not just anecdotal responses, they are pretty happy with the fire maple right now.

Personally I would buy a SnowPeak over an MSR.

aero-hiker
09-23-2015, 15:26
I haven't used it yet but I plan on buying the Emberlit Fireant (http://emberlit.com/fireAnt-titanium-multifuel-ultralight-backpacking-stove) and then carrying a few Esbit tablets around with me.... looks like a pretty awesome way to cut weight.... although probably wouldn't work some places out west...

Smoky Spoon
09-23-2015, 16:22
I love my Esbit stove and only use half a tablet in the morning and half of one at night. Works perfect and cuts my weight down. Boils 20 ounces of water in my Stanley container around seven minutes with half a tab. But I only use meals that require water like freeze dried.

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 16:51
Gratuitous point coming. Titanium does not transfer heat faster than other options. In fact, aluminum transfers heat 10 times faster than titanium. Titanium makes a good insulator relative to aluminum. There is no advantage over aluminum for a pot. There is an advantage over aluminum when it comes to a cone. Not trying to say you should not own a titanium pot. I personally think it is a waste of money. Look up the properties of the 2 metals if you doubt me. In the end, the differences in boil times are negligible because aluminum pots are typically thicker. Some fear cooking with aluminum. Those fears are based in myths too. I cannot speak with authority as to why food might burn in a titanium pot. I only boil water. I suspect it might be because the pot does not evenly distribute the heat because it is transferred slower. This would be less of an issue with water. Convection in the water would compensate for the uneven heating.

Carry on.

Casey & Gina
09-23-2015, 17:41
Some fear cooking with aluminum. Those fears are based in myths too. I cannot speak with authority as to why food might burn in a titanium pot. I only boil water. I suspect it might be because the pot does not evenly distribute the heat because it is transferred slower. This would be less of an issue with water. Convection in the water would compensate for the uneven heating.

Cook long enough in an aluminum pot, and you will find you have a hole through the bottom, and have eaten all the aluminum over time. This is a bigger issue if you cook acidic foods, but it is an inherently soft metal and small amounts scrape off easily when you stir with a spoon, etc. As for whether that is "safe" or not is a debatable topic - I wouldn't go so far as to call it myth as much as a topic there is lack of consensus on - but personally I would rather eat less metal with my food, whether or not it's toxic, so I wouldn't want to use it to cook food in or eat out of (that said, I wouldn't turn away free food if it was cooked or served in aluminum, haha!). But if you are only boiling water, I don't think this is a concern.

Interesting facts to chew on - stainless steel which most consider safe contains nickel which is highly toxic, and most "titanium" cookware uses an alloy which contains some aluminum as well. Not voicing an opinion on safety of using these choices, just pointing out some facts. Things aren't always so black and white as people make out...

Titanium is in nearly twice as heavy as Aluminum, but it is a lot stronger, so you can make up for the increased weight by making things thinner - the end result is that titanium products are usually lighter in the end, and are less bulky as well (which matters if you are nesting a lot of pieces, not so much otherwise). Titanium is much more difficult to scratch, dent etc. I would suspect burning food in an aluminum pot to be just as easy as burning food in a titanium pot - neither are going to compare to your thick steel pot (or even a thicker aluminum pot) in your kitchen at home, so some adjustment will be required either way. I blame burnt food on the cook not the cookware. ;)

I love cast iron, but won't be carrying that on the trail!

Ultimately my preference usually falls with titanium assuming I can afford it, as it has better longevity and less bulk than other choices.

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 17:50
It is all just choices. No big deal. I just boil water. I would likely concider changing my choice if I actually cooked food. KMart grease pot at about $6 is good enough for my needs.

Mockernut
09-23-2015, 21:21
+1 on the Soto. They've made a couple different models in recent years. All are good, especially in cold weather, as they micro regulate.

Not all canister stoves are equal but they do all work pretty much the same. The difference is on the margins with respect to weight, cold weather, burn time, fuel usage. Again, the differences are marginal but they exist.

Odd Man Out
09-23-2015, 22:48
It is all just choices. No big deal. I just boil water. I would likely concider changing my choice if I actually cooked food. KMart grease pot at about $6 is good enough for my needs.

What do you do for a handle?

BirdBrain
09-23-2015, 23:13

Chopped down MSR pot gripper. It is amazing how much you can chop off that thing and drill holes and still have it functional.

Ugh. I typed "concider" above. I need a proof reader to fix all my typos.

Kookork
09-24-2015, 00:45
Cook long enough in an aluminum pot, and you will find you have a hole through the bottom, and have eaten all the aluminum over time. This is a bigger issue if you cook acidic foods, but it is an inherently soft metal and small amounts scrape off easily when you stir with a spoon, etc. As for whether that is "safe" or not is a debatable topic - I wouldn't go so far as to call it myth as much as a topic there is lack of consensus on - but personally I would rather eat less metal with my food, whether or not it's toxic, so I wouldn't want to use it to cook food in or eat out of (that said, I wouldn't turn away free food if it was cooked or served in aluminum, haha!). But if you are only boiling water, I don't think this is a concern.

Interesting facts to chew on - stainless steel which most consider safe contains nickel which is highly toxic, and most "titanium" cookware uses an alloy which contains some aluminum as well. Not voicing an opinion on safety of using these choices, just pointing out some facts. Things aren't always so black and white as people make out...

Titanium is in nearly twice as heavy as Aluminum, but it is a lot stronger, so you can make up for the increased weight by making things thinner - the end result is that titanium products are usually lighter in the end, and are less bulky as well (which matters if you are nesting a lot of pieces, not so much otherwise). Titanium is much more difficult to scratch, dent etc. I would suspect burning food in an aluminum pot to be just as easy as burning food in a titanium pot - neither are going to compare to your thick steel pot (or even a thicker aluminum pot) in your kitchen at home, so some adjustment will be required either way. I blame burnt food on the cook not the cookware. ;)

I love cast iron, but won't be carrying that on the trail!

Ultimately my preference usually falls with titanium assuming I can afford it, as it has better longevity and less bulk than other choices.

Another advantage of Titanium is for people like me who use wood burning stoves( mine is Bushcooker LT I). After a few days burning woods a thick sooth can be found over the bottom of the pots but because of Titanium I can burn the sooth by burning a few milliliters of alcohol underneath my empty pot. This cannot be done in an Aluminium pot because it would damage the integrity of the pot.

Casey & Gina
09-24-2015, 02:21
Another advantage of Titanium is for people like me who use wood burning stoves( mine is Bushcooker LT I). After a few days burning woods a thick sooth can be found over the bottom of the pots but because of Titanium I can burn the sooth by burning a few milliliters of alcohol underneath my empty pot. This cannot be done in an Aluminium pot because it would damage the integrity of the pot.

Wow, great tip! I had no idea but as a wood burner myself I will definitely give this a try!

Deadeye
09-24-2015, 11:25
I used a Svea 123 for years - it's noisy, heavy, and persnickety (there are many mentions in my Dad's journals of cold dinners because the stove wouldn't work)

DYI alcohol stoves are great, but I don't like the smell of the denatured alcohol, the liquid fuel is easy to spill or leak (but it is cheap & easy to find), and you can't turn it on & off. They're light, and fun to experiment with.

A canister stove, like the pocket rocket (I have a primus), is super reliable, light, easy to fire up, turn off, and fire up again, the fuel won't spill, and it's cheap enough and easy enough to find. I've used them for years.

YMMV! Try them out and take your pick.

Another Kevin
09-24-2015, 13:58

Leatherman Squirt.

BirdBrain
09-24-2015, 15:07
Leatherman Squirt.

That was my pot gripper. PS4. I acquired a MSR pot gripper. Chop chop drill drill file file. The rest is history. A bit more weight, but oh so much more secure.

Kookork
09-24-2015, 21:21
Wow, great tip! I had no idea but as a wood burner myself I will definitely give this a try!

There is always something new to learn in White Blaze. Burning the sooth tip was taught to me by "Wise Old Owl".

capehiker
09-25-2015, 17:09
I love stove talk. I'm a bit of a stove collector.

For alcohol, there are so many versions, but I personally feel the caldera system is pound for pound the best in efficiency, ease, stability, and cooking time. I have the Sidewinder version and enjoy it. The biggest reason I enjoy it is for the wide and secure base the cone provides. You don't have to worry about the pot wobbling and falling off in this model.

I also have several canister stoves and my two favorite are the Soto OD-1R and the Snow Peak Litemax. Both are lightweight and perform trouble free. A requirement for me is the stove has to nest inside my pot with my entire cook kit. I use a MSR Titan Kettle and both nest inside the kettle along with a small canister, drinking cup/bowl, mini Bic, and pack towel.

In the end, I find myself reaching for the Snow Peak setup the most. Why? It boils water wicked fast, and I have never had any problems with it. Plus, I don't have to deal with any potential alcohol spills. I personally feel the weight of canister versus alcohol fuel washes out after 4 days. They end up weighing the same.

Viper2016
09-28-2015, 16:52
I've had the Svea since 1976. It just never fails to perform as expected. Same Sigg cookset. Only change was to steel pots when they became available. You just have to be able to predict how much fuel you need and when resupply will be available.
To each his own HYOH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TexasBob
10-02-2015, 10:53
I have made and used several alcohol stoves but my favorite is the Brasslite Turbo 1D. http://brasslite.com/products/brasslite-turbo-i-d-backpacking-stove/ The previous version (like I have) is on sale. You can truly simmer with it and it is bulletproof. There are lighter alcohol stoves but for easy of use, versatility, performance and durability I like it the best.

BongoTheOneEyed
03-22-2020, 11:29
Pocket stoves are great and very useful on the trail

zelph
03-22-2020, 21:00
In 2 weeks, I'll show you a kit that will boil 3 cups of water with 1 fourteen gram Esbit.

JNI64
03-23-2020, 06:08
In 2 weeks, I'll show you a kit that will boil 3 cups of water with 1 fourteen gram Esbit.

:clap. Finally something to look forward to. I have several stoves canister, alcohol, wood and esbit.

Cheyou
03-23-2020, 08:14

2 weeks ! How sad :*(

CalebJ
03-23-2020, 09:02
Odd bumping this thread after five years...

Five Tango
03-23-2020, 09:51

May I order one today?

zelph
03-23-2020, 20:30
May I order one today?

Sorry, no pre ordering.
Today I arrived home from a winters stay in central Texas. Now I have to recouperate from a long hectic drive back pulling my RV in foul weather. I'll be making some stainless steel windscreens first for the kits.

Five Tango
03-24-2020, 08:40
Sorry, no pre ordering.
Today I arrived home from a winters stay in central Texas. Now I have to recouperate from a long hectic drive back pulling my RV in foul weather. I'll be making some stainless steel windscreens first for the kits.

I would appreciate a "heads-up" when you are ready.I took my trusty Starlyte paird with a Tier Gear stainless steel windscreen/stand for an overnighter March 13th and about 3/4 oz of alcohol had my little 300ml aluminum
pot that I originally got from Sam at Batchstove totally rocking in short order.
I like the Starlyte for a number of reasons,one of which is the safety factor-no spills and you can snuff it out with a pot if necessary.

zelph
03-24-2020, 11:57
I would appreciate a "heads-up" when you are ready.I took my trusty Starlyte paird with a Tier Gear stainless steel windscreen/stand for an overnighter March 13th and about 3/4 oz of alcohol had my little 300ml aluminum
pot that I originally got from Sam at Batchstove totally rocking in short order.
I like the Starlyte for a number of reasons,one of which is the safety factor-no spills and you can snuff it out with a pot if necessary.

I'll give a heads-up when I'm just about ready. I can't give any sneak peeks due to all the coppycat that goes on in our world. The pot that I'm using is special. I'm in touch with the manufacture to negotiate wholesale purchasing.

Five Tango
03-24-2020, 14:39
I'll give a heads-up when I'm just about ready. I can't give any sneak peeks due to all the coppycat that goes on in our world. The pot that I'm using is special. I'm in touch with the manufacture to negotiate wholesale purchasing.

Could I safely assume that my trusty Starlyte will be compatible with the new system?

zelph
03-24-2020, 22:18
Could I safely assume that my trusty Starlyte will be compatible with the new system?

I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.

Five Tango
03-25-2020, 13:18
I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.

Thanks,can't wait to see your newest creation.

cmoulder
03-26-2020, 07:49

Correct. 14g (weight) is right at 17.5ml (volume), which isn't going to boil 3 cups even with a very efficient setup.

Many times I've boiled 3 cups in the Open Country 3-cup pot (a classic that is no longer available) using one 14g Esbit, using the simple Tri-Wing stove/stand and and aluminum windscreen.

zelph
03-26-2020, 10:37
Correct. 14g (weight) is right at 17.5ml (volume), which isn't going to boil 3 cups even with a very efficient setup.

Many times I've boiled 3 cups in the Open Country 3-cup pot (a classic that is no longer available) using one 14g Esbit, using the simple Tri-Wing stove/stand and and aluminum windscreen.

Wow, I would have thought you had posted that info on BPL in the esbit threads. Please give a link to where it was posted....I missed it. 3 cups with 1 fourteen gram esbit has not been heard of on any of the forums.

cmoulder
03-26-2020, 13:11
Wow, I would have thought you had posted that info on BPL in the esbit threads. Please give a link to where it was posted....I missed it. 3 cups with 1 fourteen gram esbit has not been heard of on any of the forums.

HERE (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/101822/page/9/?offset=315850) ya go... 2015 on BPL. But I was using the legless BGET and my own cylinder type Ti pot support at that time... you may recall, at some point we also discussed my theory of increased 'dwell time' of the gases. :)

To me, the Holy Grail was always 4 cups. Closest I ever got was 206°F.

renais
03-26-2020, 14:24
For great efficiency you might also look at the Flat Cat esbit burners with one of their awesome wind screens. I had been using a couple different trail designs setups with very good results. However, once I tried the Flat Cat esbit burners and the wind screen that works with them and the Kovea spider, I never went back. With the esbit burner I can bake using one 14 g tablet for almost an hour. If I want boiling water I generally can get 20 ounces, a frequent requirement, to boil and sustain the boil for a minute or two. I really appreciate how clean my pot bottom is using the epicurean burner. The sooty residue from most esbit burners was a major inconvenience. Since my 20 ounce water boils last for a minute or two after boiling, I expect you'll be able to get 3 cups to a boil with one tab. For reference, I use 37F water as a starting point for most testing I do.
Renais

renais
03-26-2020, 14:26
4 cups on one tab still looks like an attractive, and perhaps attainable goal. Maybe someone at home socially isolating will come up with a suitable system.
Renais

cmoulder
03-26-2020, 14:28
4 cups on one tab still looks like an attractive, and perhaps attainable goal. Maybe someone at home socially isolating will come up with a suitable system.
Renais

I gave it a pretty good shot back in the day. It would take some clever final push in efficiency to achieve an actual rolling boil.

cmoulder
03-26-2020, 14:36
For great efficiency you might also look at the Flat Cat esbit burners with one of their awesome wind screens. I had been using a couple different trail designs setups with very good results. However, once I tried the Flat Cat esbit burners and the wind screen that works with them and the Kovea spider, I never went back. With the esbit burner I can bake using one 14 g tablet for almost an hour. If I want boiling water I generally can get 20 ounces, a frequent requirement, to boil and sustain the boil for a minute or two. I really appreciate how clean my pot bottom is using the epicurean burner. The sooty residue from most esbit burners was a major inconvenience. Since my 20 ounce water boils last for a minute or two after boiling, I expect you'll be able to get 3 cups to a boil with one tab. For reference, I use 37F water as a starting point for most testing I do.
Renais
Info here (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/104793/) detailing system I used for 3-cup boil with 1x 14g tab. Did it many times.

zelph
03-26-2020, 15:42
Duh!!!!.........how did I forget that, "oldtimerz" I suspect :eek:

Thanks cmoulder for going back in time to find that info.

Your set-up was fine tuned for sure!

Info here (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/104793/) detailing system I used for 3-cup boil with 1x 14g tab. Did it many times.

cmoulder
03-26-2020, 16:10
Duh!!!!.........how did I forget that, "oldtimerz" I suspect :eek:

Thanks cmoulder for going back in time to find that info.

Your set-up was fine tuned for sure!

No worries! It was kinda "burned" into my memory! :D

Bubblehead
06-25-2020, 11:25
Have used Esbit stove in past...bought an MSR Pocket Rocket 2 last week and plan on using it on my AT/BMT loop hike in September/October...

zelph
06-26-2020, 09:04
This is the kit I use for boiling 3 cups with one 14 gram esbit. I've been using a WAPI, water pasturization indicator to bring 4 cups of water to a temperature of 170 degrees using 1 ounce alcohol.

nsherry61
06-26-2020, 14:54
. . . my opinion is that all the canister stoves are the same and you can not go wrong with any of them.
If you are considering a Pocket Rocket, then take a moment to look into the BRS 3000T . . .

I'll have to disagree strongly with this one. My BRS3000T is awesome, light, simple, cheap, and super wind sensitive and has some finicky flame issues when it's cold outside. My SnowPeak light max his a nicer broader flame, but after it get's soaked from being left out in the rain, it doesn't work worth beans until it's dried out. The pocket rocket seems to be the most solid of the simple stoves, but weighs more than the BRS. My Jetboil is super fast, reasonably reliable, somewhat wind resistant (when the pot is attached) but a heavier system than some. Probably my favorite cansiter stove is the pocket rocket deluxe with it's much more wind resistant burner and it pressure regulator (similar to the Jetboil Mo series burners) so it handles low canister pressures and low temperatures better, and it simmers better than the others if you ever want to do that.

That all being said, I also really like my homemade Fancy Feast and similar alcohol stoves. But, the are the most fiddly of all if you don't want the fiddle factor.

zelph
06-26-2020, 15:16
I'll have to disagree strongly with this one. My BRS3000T is awesome, light, simple, cheap, and super wind sensitive and has some finicky flame issues when it's cold outside. My SnowPeak light max his a nicer broader flame, but after it get's soaked from being left out in the rain, it doesn't work worth beans until it's dried out. The pocket rocket seems to be the most solid of the simple stoves, but weighs more than the BRS. My Jetboil is super fast, reasonably reliable, somewhat wind resistant (when the pot is attached) but a heavier system than some. Probably my favorite cansiter stove is the pocket rocket deluxe with it's much more wind resistant burner and it pressure regulator (similar to the Jetboil Mo series burners) so it handles low canister pressures and low temperatures better, and it simmers better than the others if you ever want to do that.

That all being said, I also really like my homemade Fancy Feast and similar alcohol stoves. But, the are the most fiddly of all if you don't want the fiddle factor.
The BRS3000t has too many known/reported safety issues. A recent issue was reported over at backpackinglight.com. The sealing O rings was faulty (on a new stove)and caused the gas to shoot out from where the canister joins the stove. That leaking gas if ignited could cause numerous problems. It would scare the daylight outta ya causing the stove to be knocked over and in turn cause forest fires out west and elsewhere during fire bans. Faulty O ring can occur at any time. China has had some serious quality control issues regarding the BRS. I advise against it.

The Fancee Feest is a no fiddle stove, dump fuel in center, light, place pot on integrated stainless steel potsupport and you are good to go.

nsherry61
06-27-2020, 12:37
The BRS3000t has too many known/reported safety issues. . .
The Fancee Feest is a no fiddle stove, dump fuel in center, light, place pot on integrated stainless steel potsupport and you are good to go.
Good points on the BRS.

As for fiddling with the Fancy Feast, I debated with myself about calling it that because I love how simple and fiddle free it is relative to other alcohol stoves. But, relative to the simpler canister stoves, or Esbit for that matter, the Fancy Feast stove requires some sort of measuring and pouring or otherwise dispensing a liquid fuel into an open pool that can then spill. The base and pot stand are narrow, requiring care in placing the stove. It pretty much always requires a windscreen. And, if there is too much or two little fuel dispensed you have to either blow it out or let it burn out or add a little more fuel to a maybe hot stove. I don't want to disparage one of my favorite stoves that I love using, but relative to some other options, I'll still stick with my claim of it being a bit fiddly, and surely too fiddly for some users.

Five Tango
06-27-2020, 19:33
If fuel cups are an issue you can always but gradient lines on your fuel container like you have on a quart of automotive oil.If you overfill a Starlyte or Kojin stove you will know it.A Fancee Feast holds 2.5 oz of fuel so if your eyesight is not perfect to pour one oz and you over pour a bit you should be able to get by without having overloaded it I would think.I carry my stove stuff,including the measuring cup all in the same stuff sack and have yet to lose anything.I did have a FF stove stick to the bottom of a pot due to creosote buildup and Boy was that exciting!Lesson learned.....Starlytes work with Caldera Cones too.