PDA

View Full Version : Favorite woods cup

bikebum1975
09-08-2015, 10:40
Alrighty folks what's you're favorite way to have your brew? Sierra cup USGI army cup good old enamelware cup? Feel free to post a pic
I have a couple favorites depending on my mood. My most used is an old USGI canteen cup also like the classic Sierra more for a bowl than a cup. One I made a willow kuksa I carved gets a fair amount of use. I'll get some pics later

nsherry61
09-08-2015, 11:15
I like insulated cups with lids so my hot drinks don't burn me and don't get cold too fast. I also like multi-use cups that can be used to either presoak food for cold hydration (or faster cooking) like the backpacker's cup below or I like cups I can also cook in like the minimalist below. I've always disliked sierra cups because they were too small to cook in, too wide to avoid spilling whatever liquid I might have in them and not insulated, so my food got cold or my lips got burned. . . and, they are stupid heavy.

GSI backpacker's cup. (http://www.rei.com/product/884337/gsi-outdoors-infinity-backpacker-mug#tab-specs) Light, insulated, water tight, and just the right size.

I also use my GSI Minimalist pot (http://www.rei.com/product/798273/gsi-outdoors-halulite-minimalist-cookset) quite a lot if I want a good insulated cup that I can also cook in.

shelterbuilder
09-08-2015, 13:25
And I am partial to my BIG Sierra Cup - it's (I believe) a 12 oz. version of the original, and is actually big enough to cook a small serving of pasta, rice, or what-have-you on a small-burner stove. Heavy? Yes, but the angle of the sides makes it useful for dipping water out of shallow small-flow springs.

bikebum1975
09-08-2015, 13:46
Meh the Sierra cup may be a touch heavy but that doesn't bother me. I'd rather have bombproof that cup falls under that. As said in the original post it's my favorite bowl. I regularly use it at home to

Another Kevin
09-08-2015, 17:06
Nalgene bottle with a Reflectix jacket. It's a coffee maker (with a Melitta filter), Thermos and cup all in one. It's great for carrying a second cup of coffee for a morning break, and it can be a water bottle later in the day.

Tipi Walter
09-08-2015, 20:18
My MSR titanium kettle (at .85 liters) is both my cooking pot and my tea pot and my tea cup and my water cup and in extreme conditions even my piss pot when it's -10F in a 60mph blizzard.

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/17-Days-Tallassee-Mountain/i-s3KzVvk/0/L/TRIP%20155%20105-L.jpg

plexusbritt
09-09-2015, 08:10
I'm with Tipi Walter. Love my kettle. And all the memories attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
09-09-2015, 10:49
I do more cold weather hiking and to me it seems that any metal cup/mug cools down faster.Sometimes I like to hang around a camp fire and toast a bagel.When I found the Sea to Summit insulated mug on sale I got one.It will keep beverages warm for a while.31926This pic is from Shining Rock Wilderness back in June.

Sarcasm the elf
09-09-2015, 13:45
16oz zip-loc brand round twist lock container with lid. Acts as cup, bowl, storage container, etc. Fine for hot foods and weighs almost nothing.

Casey & Gina
09-09-2015, 14:30

Technically a "pot", 650ml makes a better cup if you ask me. Packed in it's stuff sack, it contains my firestarting supplies, then nests inside my wood stove in it's own stuff sack, which nests inside my 1100ml pot with yet another stuff sack. The layered stuff sacks keep things from rattling around. All in all my cooking kit weighs just over a pound and fits within the space of the larger pot. The cup is a luxury item but I like it!

tiptoe
09-09-2015, 15:45
I carry the GSI Outdoors Infinity Stacking Cup, which I use for muesli in the morning and also for the occasional medicinal cup of coffee midday. It holds 14.2 ounces and weighs 1.8 ounces. Mine, an older version, has measuring marks on it, helpful for the precise-minded hiker.

Here's a link to the current version:
http://www.rei.com/product/895460/gsi-outdoors-infinity-stacking-cup

(edited because I linked to the wrong product in my initial post)

Five Tango
09-09-2015, 20:19
I use a .2 oz Zaxby's styrofoam cup for coffee that resides in a protective plastic cup(the kind you get at the ball game for Cokes).Whole set up is 1.5 oz.Plastic cup makes a great holder for a bag of oatmeal or grits and can be used to scoop or dip with.

daddytwosticks
09-10-2015, 07:23
Right now, I'm using a Snow Peak 600 ml cup/pot. When drinking hot drinks out of it, I use a home made reflectix cozy. It also serves as my water dipper and rides on the outside of my pack. A recycled Poweraide 1 quart water bottle nests snuggly into the cup/pot and rides in my pack's side pocket. :)

The Snowman
09-13-2015, 18:42
My green and white AMC plastic mug remains my favorite for most trips.

dirkomatic
09-13-2015, 20:09
That super heavy Stanley cup which comes with the Adventure Camp cook set. It's heavy. Shoot me.

Odd Man Out
09-13-2015, 23:08
I'm using the Sea to Summit Delta Mug

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Delta+Mug&o1=0&o2=0&o3=304-21

It's a bit larger and heavier than I'd like, but it packs inside my pot (no handle) and the nylon doesn't absorb flavors much so I can use it for both coffee and tea (tea from a plastic coffee cup is usually bad news).

Tea In The Trees
09-13-2015, 23:56
I love my stainless Olicamp space saver tea mug. May not be light, but I love the thing. Bought it on a whim and now love it. It goes right on the fire or stove to brew a cup in a few minutes. No warping either.... -Nate