PDA

View Full Version : Neels to Deep Gap in mid October?

LostandFound
09-08-2015, 19:39
Doing Neels to Deep Gap section. First time in this area in Mid October. What can I expect for weather? I want to be prepared, but not overdo it. Thanks.

soumodeler
09-08-2015, 20:36
Did Unicoi to NOC about that time last year. Beautiful weather, lows in the 30-40s and highs in the 60s. It could be colder or warmer this year. The leaves should be turning around that time as well. To me that is the perfect time for this section.

Wildfang
09-08-2015, 22:53
You'll have great weather. A bit chilly at night, but not terrible. Probably in the 30s? Beautiful weather in the day. Definitely bring layers and plan to take them on and off a lot during that time. The leaves will be changing too.

map man
09-09-2015, 08:21
I hiked that section in mid-October a few years ago. That year it was more overcast than an average spring or summer hike, and yet it also rained less. The Climatic Atlas of the United States indicates that September through November are the three driest months in the southern Appalachians and that was also my experience. It never got very close to freezing at night on that hike and daytime highs anywhere from the 50s to 70s made for pleasant hiking. I hope your weather is as nice as mine was.

FatMan
09-09-2015, 08:36
Mid October is the start of hunting season. Be sure to wear some blaze orange.

My wife and I are doing Dicks Creek Gap back home to Grassy Gap and then on to Amicalola the first week of October. I expect lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. It can be quite cooler as the month goes on.

whiteout
09-09-2015, 09:23
Water was the problem about 4 years ago so please check and carry more than you need.

buoyantbeans
09-09-2015, 16:00
I'm planning my 300 mile Sam's Gap to Springer October 1 to 31. Can't wait, just a few weeks now.