PDA

View Full Version : Durable wool socks?

phourgenres
09-08-2015, 21:52
Any other durable wool socks besides Darn Tough?

Wildfang
09-08-2015, 22:50
smartwool is good.
LL bean and REI make some too.
Most folks like darn tough because of their lifetime warranty...could be the last pair of socks you ever have to buy ;)

nsherry61
09-08-2015, 23:03
...could be the last pair of socks you ever have to buy ;)

I still wear them out. I guess I should send them in for replacement. They didn't last any longer than many of my other high quality wool socks.

gregpphoto
09-08-2015, 23:09
I still wear them out. I guess I should send them in for replacement. They didn't last any longer than many of my other high quality wool socks.

But they WILL replace them. I've had the same six pairs of DT's since 2011 and they are the only socks I wear 24/7/365. Two seasons of trail work on them. And theyre just starting to break down. Thats pretty darn tough.

peakbagger
09-09-2015, 05:30
Darn Tuff makes socks for numerous private labels including high end labels like LL Beans.

Doc
09-09-2015, 06:36
Anything from Bean's, including socks, will be replaced by them if you are not completely satisfied. If your socks wear out and you think that they should not have done so, simply return them.

Venchka
09-09-2015, 07:56
Rohner from Switzerland. I bought 3 pairs from Sierra Trading Post about a hundred years ago. I wish I had bought more at the time. Their current hiking socks are in the same price range as Darn Tough. Good socks. :cool:

http://www.rohnersocks.us.com/en/Men/Hiking/original.html

North Cape is another brand that I have had since before I bought the Rohners. Really good heavy duty socks. Too bad they are gone. :eek: :cool:

All else being equal, I would still buy Darn Tough or LL Bean products made in the USA.

Why were so many good products replaced by junk? There is no accounting for the lowest common denominator consumer.

Wayne

whiteout
09-09-2015, 09:42
RedHead socks from Bass Pro Shops with life time replacement.

nsherry61
09-09-2015, 11:40
. . . I've had the same six pairs of DT's since 2011 and they are the only socks I wear 24/7/365 . . .

Wow. Do you take them off to shower? ;)

gregpphoto
09-09-2015, 12:32
Wow. Do you take them off to shower? ;)

Hahaha ok so after completing the LNT Master Educator course through NOLS, they let us shower but not use the laundry machines. As I was smack dab in the middle of a three month hitchhiking journey, I never ever passed up a shower, so I showered with some of my clothes on to wash them too!

fastfoxengineering
09-10-2015, 18:42
Darn Tough is my go to for hiking. I have never paid full price for them. Can usually find them for 40-50% off if you watch for deals. I have not found a more favorite sock for hiking purposes.

Besides that, I wear cabelas, rei, ems, llbean, smartwool, DT, woolrich, and other brands of wool and wool blend socks. Never had any wear out on me before I thought I got my money's worth.

I got cabela's brand wool socks on right now I've had for probably 8 years. Wear them all the time here in New England winter.

and yeah, I got some DT's that are wearing through. I probably won't do the warranty. I got some miles on these socks. Gladly spend my money on a company who stands behind their products.

gregpphoto
09-13-2015, 10:56
Darn Tough is my go to for hiking. I have never paid full price for them. Can usually find them for 40-50% off if you watch for deals. I used to see them on sale more, but I look a few times a week and haven't seen the style I'm looking for (Micro Crew Cushion) on sale in months. Where do you usually find your best deals?

ccartertn
09-13-2015, 11:12
Every year on my birthday I get a $20 coupon from planetshoes. I always order a pair of darn tough socks with it. Only socks I ever wear.

ccartertn

Dogwood
09-13-2015, 14:41
Although I've never taken up Darn Tough on their lifetime sock guarantee that is one great aspect of these socks! In my experiences too Darn Tough are quite durable socks, at least the merino wool/mainly wool blend models in ankle, mini, and crew height in light/mid wts and uses I'm familiar with, more than brand determines durability of a hiking/trekking sock. For example, some of the Bridgedale model socks have exhibited over and above durability while other models/series have only been so so durable for me. Brigedale offers a 3 yr sock guarantee. IMHO this length of a guarantee is more than fair enough for a pr of hiking socks useful life. My experiences with Icebreaker socks lead me to believe they have better than avg durability too in the type of socks I tend to hike/trek. I've been expanding experimenting with other brand merino/merino blend socks lately. I've been having good comfortability and durability with the Point6 Outdoor Series socks.

And, of course, durability of gear, perhaps especially hiking/trekking socks, is quite subjective to each individual.

http://www.bridgedale.com/trailhead
http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens?prefn1=productType&prefv1=Socks
http://www.point6.com/collections/mens-outdoor

egilbe
09-13-2015, 15:06
I like the llbean socks made by Point6 as well as Darn tough and Smartwool. I guess I don't really have a favorite. I know I don't like the Eddie Bauer wool blend hiking socks I got for $6 a pair, so I guess you get what you pay for.

MuddyWaters
09-13-2015, 16:10
my wool socks are darn tough, defeet, rei, and smartwool.

I prefer the defeet and darn tough because they are unpadded, tight weave , cycling socks.

The REI is ok for the gym

The smartwool is the lowest tier sock imo.

Cadenza
09-23-2015, 03:35
I must be the only person in the world who thinks Darn Tough socks are uncomfortable. The padded sections have ridges that make them feel as if they are bunched up under my foot.

The most comfortable to me are Bridgedales. I also prefer a certain type of Smart Wool, but there are other Smart Wool varieties that I don't like as well.

Traveler
09-23-2015, 14:05
I must be the only person in the world who thinks Darn Tough socks are uncomfortable. The padded sections have ridges that make them feel as if they are bunched up under my foot.

The most comfortable to me are Bridgedales. I also prefer a certain type of Smart Wool, but there are other Smart Wool varieties that I don't like as well.

Don't feel lonely, my experience with Darn Tough is they are a bit more abrasive and uncomfortable than other socks. It may be something simple like the foot structure and where the socks are seamed and where padding starts/ends, but they don't work for me well.

Smartwool tends to be the most comfortable, though I got a pair of WigWam socks that I am liking so far, time will tell.

peakbagger
09-23-2015, 16:05
Darn tuff makes numerous models of socks each with differing characteristics.

The military versions have a bit higher synthetic blend than the recreational socks. They last longer but do tend to be somewhat more abrasive.

The owner really wants folks to take him on his guarantee which also applies to his seconds.

hinktech
09-23-2015, 20:47
I've been a Smartwool fan for a long time. Recently discovered a new brand http://www.cloudlineapparel.com and have taken them on a couple hikes and a 3 day backpacking trip and my feet have been happy. They are super soft and not itchy and seem to be holding up well. We'll see how they do over time.

OwenM
09-23-2015, 23:08
Any other durable wool socks besides Darn Tough?
Point 6 are some of the better ones for durability, I think. Longer lasting than Smartwool, Icebreaker or REI's merino socks in the same weight. egilbe said they make the LL Bean branded ones, and I know that they also make First Ascent socks for Eddie Bauer(exact same as the regular Point 6, just with the FA logo).
I use the midweight crews for work, plus have half a dozen pair each of the lightweight version and shorter midweight minis, but my feet vote Smartwool PhDs over anything else for hiking.

v1k1ng1001
10-07-2015, 00:15
I rock the light hikers from icebreaker...latest version is amazing. I get them for $5 on STP when they run a sale.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Traveler
10-07-2015, 07:00
I had to buy a pair of socks recently for use in boots and got Wigwam wool socks. They seem comfortable and appear to be holding up in the areas lesser socks tend to start getting threadbare. Anyone have any experience with these?

peakbagger
10-07-2015, 10:14
Unless Wigwams have changed lately, they are good work socks but I didn't find them at the same level as Darn Tuffs or smartwools for hiking . I expect like any company they can adjust the materials and production techniques to go upscale or downscale.