PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle service in Shenandoah NP along skyline

ryjohnson09
09-09-2015, 13:57
Hi everyone,

My Dad and I are planning on a ~70 mile backpacking trip through SNP in late October. Our plan is to park around Front Royal, take a car about 35 miles down skyline (leave resupply there), and then catch a shuttle from there to our southern starting point somewhere around US33 (Simmons Gap). We would prefer not to hitch. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
Ryan

joshuasdad
09-09-2015, 14:28
If you have two cars, split your hike into two sections. Leave first car at hostel or other safe location in Front Royal (vandalism is possible near trailhead), drive second car to Luray entrance of SNP, hike to first car, resupply, drive to Harrisonburg entrance of SNP, hike to second car. Pick up first car and drive home. You might also be able to work with a Front Royal hostel to hold your resupply and give you a shuttle to Harrisonburg entrance of SNP.

ryjohnson09
09-09-2015, 14:48
That's not a bad option...will keep that as our tentative plan. Still open to shuttle options if anyone knows of any. May call the Front Royal hostel soon.

Thanks for the help.

Studlintsean
09-09-2015, 16:20
That's not a bad option...will keep that as our tentative plan. Still open to shuttle options if anyone knows of any. May call the Front Royal hostel soon.

Thanks for the help.

I would highly recommend Sharon Shuttles from the ATC guide list. She lives in Front Royal and shuttles SNP.

Gambit McCrae
09-18-2015, 15:19
I would park at Front Royal, Mountain Home B&B, get them to follow you to this said half way point for second car, and then get them to shuttle you to the beginning of your hike. Allows you to have said resupply car and or bail out car half way, and at the same time leave you independent of transportation when your trip is over.

ekeverette
09-18-2015, 19:15
what is the number or how to contact Sharon Shuttles?

Studlintsean
09-18-2015, 19:28
Search ATC shuttle guide online, then transportation from the ATC page and she if listed under northern va or SNP

Deer Hunter
09-19-2015, 10:57
I have used Sharon a couple times. I would recommend her as well.

Sharon's Shuttles
Sharon Johnson
Front Royal, VA
703/946-9404 [call first]
703/615-5612 [cell]
540/622-6422 [home]
Waynesboro, VA to Waynesboro, PA and shuttles to and from Washington Dulles Airport. A15-minute walk

plodalong
09-29-2015, 16:21
Left my car at Mountain Home this past April while we hiked to Harpers Ferry. Great people! Hope they do well there. Will be interested in what you find out since we are looking to do 50 miles or so South from Rt 522 next April