PDA

View Full Version : A question of weight...

ierinys
09-09-2015, 15:44
So I've been doing the usual research and training and determining what gear I do and don't need, and I found myself wondering...

In terms of weight (base weight + consumables) what weighs more between resupply points, the PCT or the AT? I ask this because with the AT you need to carry less consumables but tend to carry more "luxury items" where as the PCT I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

Also, what would the ideal weight range be for a non-ultralight hiker?

Peace.

changed
09-09-2015, 16:01
For the AT, I never carried more than 4 days or food outside the 100 Mile Wilderness (then, I only carried 7 into KSC). I never had more than 2 liters of water on me at any time. Usually I carried .5 liters... On the PCT, I'll be carrying like 4 or 5 liters through the desert on the regular. Now that I'm doing the PCT (next year), I've learned so much from the AT. My pack is lighter, my quilt is over a pound lighter than my synthetic Cosmic 20, the TarpTent is a pound less than my very nice REI QD1 free-standing, etc... so perhaps it all comes out in the wash?

As for ideal weight range for non-ultra light: what kind of hiking are you doing? Season? Distance? Location? All those things matter, clearly, but the most obvious answer for your body and enjoyment would be: 'as little as possible!'

Casey & Gina
09-09-2015, 16:16
Weight is really a personal choice... I am not very familiar with the PCT so cannot answer your question directly, but will offer my thoughts. The AT has frequent resupply points, but that doesn't mean you need to utilize them. I prefer to fill up my water less often and not stop at every water source when hiking sections, so I presume that when I thru hike I will likewise prefer less stops to resupply on food, passing by some that most other hikers will choose to stop at. My pack is also on the heavy side, but is comfortable for my needs. I am even entertaining the thought of a heavier model, just to give added comfort in the case that I need/choose to carry more weight - again, based on personal preference to stop less often. At the same time, I have an ultralight tent and choose other ultralight gear where it seems to make sense to me, so that I am not hauling unnecessary weight and bulk around, largely because I will be carrying nearly everything for two hikers (my wife will be carrying our son and his necessities so cannot carry as much gear), and because this affords carrying a limited selection of luxury items to make the experience more enjoyable.

Generally, one must weigh (pun not intended) the weight of gear against cost, durability, features, comfort, and other factors. The choice is individual for every piece of gear! What is most important to you? What will you use all the time versus just having along for occasional use (albeit important when needed)? What features will you actually use, and which could you care less about? How much do the products that fit this need cost? How much does each weigh? What are the tradeoffs? What would be really nice to have although you may not necessarily need it? Are there things you can get that meet two or more needs instead of getting multiple products?

Unfortunately, you won't really know what is an ideal weight to carry until you get out on the trail and carry it for a few miles to see. The same weight will feel different in different packs, though even the most comfortable pack will put the same stress on your legs. Also, as you acclimate to carrying the load, what seemed harder at first will become easier. I can say that for me right now, in mediocre but not bad shape, with 35-40 pounds in a Deuter ACT Lite pack, I don't really think about my backpack and it does not hold me back at all. With 75 pounds (don't ask, haha!) after a few miles I am really worn down, my hips and shoulders sore, it constantly feels burdensome, and I need frequent breaks to rest and can hike maybe half the miles in a day. At the same time I have an ex-army friend who is happy to hike around with 75 pounds like it's nothing, because that's what his training got him used to and he's stayed in great shape.

"Non-ultralight" can mean a lot of different things, and I think it best to think about what your personal style preference is.

changed
09-09-2015, 16:27
Weight is really a personal choice... I am not very familiar with the PCT so cannot answer your question directly, but will offer my thoughts. The AT has frequent resupply points, but that doesn't mean you need to utilize them. I prefer to fill up my water less often and not stop at every water source when hiking sections, so I presume that when I thru hike I will likewise prefer less stops to resupply on food, passing by some that most other hikers will choose to stop at. My pack is also on the heavy side, but is comfortable for my needs. I am even entertaining the thought of a heavier model, just to give added comfort in the case that I need/choose to carry more weight - again, based on personal preference to stop less often. At the same time, I have an ultralight tent and choose other ultralight gear where it seems to make sense to me, so that I am not hauling unnecessary weight and bulk around, largely because I will be carrying nearly everything for two hikers (my wife will be carrying our son and his necessities so cannot carry as much gear), and because this affords carrying a limited selection of luxury items to make the experience more enjoyable.

Generally, one must weigh (pun not intended) the weight of gear against cost, durability, features, comfort, and other factors. The choice is individual for every piece of gear! What is most important to you? What will you use all the time versus just having along for occasional use (albeit important when needed)? What features will you actually use, and which could you care less about? How much do the products that fit this need cost? How much does each weigh? What are the tradeoffs? What would be really nice to have although you may not necessarily need it? Are there things you can get that meet two or more needs instead of getting multiple products?

Unfortunately, you won't really know what is an ideal weight to carry until you get out on the trail and carry it for a few miles to see. The same weight will feel different in different packs, though even the most comfortable pack will put the same stress on your legs. Also, as you acclimate to carrying the load, what seemed harder at first will become easier. I can say that for me right now, in mediocre but not bad shape, with 35-40 pounds in a Deuter ACT Lite pack, I don't really think about my backpack and it does not hold me back at all. With 75 pounds (don't ask, haha!) after a few miles I am really worn down, my hips and shoulders sore, it constantly feels burdensome, and I need frequent breaks to rest and can hike maybe half the miles in a day. At the same time I have an ex-army friend who is happy to hike around with 75 pounds like it's nothing, because that's what his training got him used to and he's stayed in great shape.

"Non-ultralight" can mean a lot of different things, and I think it best to think about what your personal style preference is.

You are not going to want to carry 40, or even 35 pounds regularly on the AT. You might think you're strong enough, but that's going to get old realllly quick. And carrying a heavy load only seems to get worseon the trail. When you go into town, you'll feel so light, fast, but hungry. Then you'll go into Walmart, spend $60 on three days worth of food, and walk out of town with a pack that feels like one hundred pounds.

Casey & Gina
09-09-2015, 16:40
You are not going to want to carry 40, or even 35 pounds regularly on the AT. You might think you're strong enough, but that's going to get old realllly quick. And carrying a heavy load only seems to get worseon the trail. When you go into town, you'll feel so light, fast, but hungry. Then you'll go into Walmart, spend $60 on three days worth of food, and walk out of town with a pack that feels like one hundred pounds.

Unfortunately, it's a requirement. My wife's child carrier pack, plus our son, his basic necessities, and a filled hydration bladder weighs 35 pounds (and he will grow before our thru). Me carrying the rest with 2 days worth of food and a filled hydration bladder weighs 35 pounds (and there are still a couple things that I will want to add for a thru hike). So ~40 pounds each is a pretty unavoidable reality for us. We have hiked almost all of the Maryland portion of the AT already on practice/shakedown hikes, up to 16 miles in a day. Still thinking of a couple more investments to shave off a pound or two, and in theory I could cut out a few luxury items to save maybe another pound or so, and in theory during the summer I could mail some things to a relative and have them mailed back when I need them again, but beyond that there's not a whole lot I can do, and 35-40 pounds does not feel bad to me.

garlic08
09-09-2015, 17:56
100 miles is a fairly common food carry on the PCT, and it's the maximum on the AT. 25 mile water carries are pretty common on the PCT, and are unheard of on the AT. Long snowfield climbs are common on the PCT and some hikers carry traction devices (not all), not on issue on the AT. The AT has the deli-a-day tour in the mid-Atlantic, the PCT has no such honor. Offhand, I can't think of anything that's inherently lighter on the PCT. Maybe some can get by with less rain gear for part of the hike, in the desert sections.

That being said, most PCT hikers cut their teeth on the AT and greatly reduce their load by the time they get out West. I did it the opposite and carried a little less on the AT (eight pound base) than I did on the PCT (12 pound base).

changed
09-09-2015, 18:02
Unfortunately, it's a requirement. My wife's child carrier pack, plus our son, his basic necessities, and a filled hydration bladder weighs 35 pounds (and he will grow before our thru). Me carrying the rest with 2 days worth of food and a filled hydration bladder weighs 35 pounds (and there are still a couple things that I will want to add for a thru hike). So ~40 pounds each is a pretty unavoidable reality for us. We have hiked almost all of the Maryland portion of the AT already on practice/shakedown hikes, up to 16 miles in a day. Still thinking of a couple more investments to shave off a pound or two, and in theory I could cut out a few luxury items to save maybe another pound or so, and in theory during the summer I could mail some things to a relative and have them mailed back when I need them again, but beyond that there's not a whole lot I can do, and 35-40 pounds does not feel bad to me.

Oh hell, I forgot you were taking your kid.

Hat's off to you and yours. Good luck!!

Sasquatch!
09-11-2015, 14:16
Western Mountaineering sleeping bags, and, zpacks cuben fiber tarp-tents and rain gear, save plenty of weight.

Carrying mostly dehydrated foods saves weight, but costs money, and means preparing and mailing packages ahead of time.

burger
09-11-2015, 14:21
That being said, most PCT hikers cut their teeth on the AT and greatly reduce their load by the time they get out West.

Not anymore! I saw a survey not long ago that said that over half of PCT thru-hikers were on their first-ever thru. I'd bet the number is even higher now. No surprise with Wild plus the availability of hiking apps, etc.

Cobble
09-14-2015, 21:30
I had a base weight around 18 to finish the AT. (5.5lb pack, 3 lb bag, 2.5lb tent) Where I went crazy was my 5-10 days of food that I carried, I just didn't like resupplying. Now granted I was chunk hiking the AT at 350-700 miles a go so my caloric intake never got to vacuum levels so such carries were possible. Those were hiking style choices. I just didn't carry luxuries. (Went tentless much of the trail)

For PCT I really want to bring my big 3 down significantly...just not sure how significantly. I think it will not be that huge of an adjust for me on the food carries. I'm aiming at a 12lb base weight because I refuse to tarp (bug netting!) plus I want a pack with a little sturdyness(ULA probably) and I don't want to kill my limited budget (and my new gear needs to last a CDT thru as well:cool:). New for the PCT will be my chrome dome, trekking poles, sawyer filter...so I'll actually be carrying more!

From my research 12 base seems very doable.

Dogwood
09-14-2015, 21:56
Not anymore! I saw a survey not long ago that said that over half of PCT thru-hikers were on their first-ever thru. I'd bet the number is even higher now. No surprise with Wild plus the availability of hiking apps, etc.

And that will have consequences not all positive IMO. In many ways glad I did the PCT thru before that stat changed to what it is now.

Dogwood
09-14-2015, 22:04
Lots of variables in those scenarios Ierinys to make definitive comments although IMO Garlic hit some of the main ones. Just to take it further with Garlic's comments even though the AT has deli/convenience store mid Atlantic supplementing of resupply food opps such as in the mid At;lantic bit also in the south, the PCT has Oregon, and to a lesser extent WA, which that can be done too by supplementing at convienence stores, campground grocery stores, fishing camps/resorts, cafes, etc.

Malto
09-14-2015, 22:09
So I've been doing the usual research and training and determining what gear I do and don't need, and I found myself wondering...

In terms of weight (base weight + consumables) what weighs more between resupply points, the PCT or the AT? I ask this because with the AT you need to carry less consumables but tend to carry more "luxury items" where as the PCT I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

Also, what would the ideal weight range be for a non-ultralight hiker?

Peace.

Ideal weight is set my you and nobody else. What I can carry or what I am willing to do to not carry is of no impact to you.

As as far as weight on the two trails. garlic hit it perfectly, the dreaded 100 mile wilderness carry was under my average carry on the PCT. I had several legs which were 150 miles. Water is also a bigger issue. Let me put all of this in perspective. I planned for a four day leg from Campo to Warner Springs. leaving the Border, my pack weighed 24 lbs. 8 lbs of gear, 8 lbs of food and 8 lbs of water. Everyone is so focused on gear but I had that honed in but carried many extra lbs of food and water at the start.

On average people carry more weight on the AT because they are generally less experienced. I have been section hiking the AT and carry almost the identical gear that I carried on the PCT.

Dogwood
09-14-2015, 22:15
Getting off topic but it seems LD hikers aiming at Triple Crowns(TC) or two of the TC trails are increasingly doing these hikes by playing a follow the leader do as others have done and as they themselves have done in cookie cutter like LD TC seeking thru-hiking fashion. I sincerely hope the CDT NEVER is considered as the AT in regards to being a here is the definitive northern/southern termini this is what is considered a thru-hike no alternates/blue blazing allowed scenario. I think cookie cutter do as LD writers/TC guidebook writers have done in the past takes away from the adventure, exploratory, and HYOH spirit of LD hiking when approaching a thru-hike in this fashion.

Dogwood
09-14-2015, 22:44
Ideal weight is set my you and nobody else. What I can carry or what I am willing to do to not carry is of no impact to you.

As as far as weight on the two trails. garlic hit it perfectly, the dreaded 100 mile wilderness carry was under my average carry on the PCT. I had several legs which were 150 miles. Water is also a bigger issue. Let me put all of this in perspective. I planned for a four day leg from Campo to Warner Springs. leaving the Border, my pack weighed 24 lbs. 8 lbs of gear, 8 lbs of food and 8 lbs of water. Everyone is so focused on gear but I had that honed in but carried many extra lbs of food and water at the start.

On average people carry more weight on the AT because they are generally less experienced. I have been section hiking the AT and carry almost the identical gear that I carried on the PCT.

+1. One pt of questioning is that learning what others do can help decide for yourself what you might do BY CONSIDERATION NOT as a matter of habitual default. UNFORTUNATELY, that is what has been increasingly occurring from my observances. The order of the day is not HYOH WHICH INCUDES POSSIBLY DOING SMETHING IN TERMS OF KIT, LOGISTICS(resupply), trails/routes, making up your own routes(really respect out of the box thinking/hiking like things done by Skurka, Tucker "Blisterfree", Zoner, Colter, etc with their new route LD hikes and designs and outdoor activities, and off season hiking (as Trauma and Pepper just demonstrated), etc radically unique. As Andrew Skurka and Paul Magnanti aka Mags has stated, things like this lead to very limited narrowly ranged hiking skill sets. One of the absolutely AWESOME ASPECTS that LD hiking affords is the greater opportunity of exhibiting personal responsibility and personal growth. I think we short change that opp when we do cookie cutter do as "THE GUIDEBOOK" states or suggests is the "right or accepted way." That's a SHAME IMHO!