PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek / polycryo

sethd513
09-09-2015, 18:42
Does anyone know off hand the weight of these products per square foot?

Also which shine for groudcloths pros and cons. I know tyvek will allow water through so I'm assuming the plastic could possibly puddle?

I need something for the tent and then the possible cowboy or tarp camping. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
09-09-2015, 19:33
Don't know weights off the top of my head.
Polycryo is lighter noisier, more slippery and more easily torn.
Tyvek DOES NOT allow water through. It allows water vapor through. Big different.
Tyvek is bulkier.
Both materials will puddle.

Dogwood
09-09-2015, 19:35
The typical Tyvek variety sold at big box home improvement stores, Zpacks, AntigravityGear, Lawson, MLD, etc weighs in at 1.85-1.9 oz/sq yd.

The 75 gauge polycro or window insulation film or polyolefin film Gossamer Gear and others sell is 1.6 oz for a 40" X 96" piece. You crunch the numbers.

I have cut down both this type of Tyvek and that gauge polycro to one size, about 26-28" wide x 84-88" long that both fits under my 1p tents used as a ground cloth and serves as a ground cloth when cowboy or tarp camping.

Polycro under the tent used as ground cloth in some terrains rips and/or punctures quite easily in my use. When I've had to duck tape all the tears I keep getting in polycro when many small sticks, rocks, cacti, etc are at camp sites it approaches and sometimes weighs more than a similar sized piece of non duck taped Tyvek. I like polycro in softer ground campsite areas (sand, beach, pine straw, woodland duff, etc). GG sells them in paired bundles. Others experience different results. Tyvek wears out, is noisily crinkly when new unwashed(soften it up when new w/ a run in the washer), can usually be obtained free at construction sites for the asking, can lose much of it's water repellency with extended use or washings, shrinks considerably into a hard softball if allowed to overheat in dryer, eventually pills, and dirt/stains adhere to it more readily than polycro. However, polycro can statically adhere particles but can often be dislodged with a quick shake. Polycro is non permeable so water does puddle on it just like it can on new Tyvek.

Consider a bathtub floor for some of your tarp and/or cowboy camping.

Dogwood
09-09-2015, 19:41
With use Tyvek, as the variety described above, absolutely can wet out losing it's water repellency. I don't find the noise to be a factor with polycro. New unwashed unsoftened Tyvek is the noisier of the two IMO.

GG does offer their 100 gauge polycro too so if you like the stuff as a ground cloth and aren't an anal gram weenie you could go with the 25% heavier gauge polycro.

MuddyWaters
09-09-2015, 20:06
The tyvek housewrap is 1.85/sq yd. There is a lighter one used (i dont remember #, 1443 maybe?) that is about 1.41sq/yd, but its not as waterproof , its softer and quieter.. its the one kite builders use.

Vegan Packer
09-10-2015, 15:19
I've used the Tyvek 1443. It is silent, as far as I can tell. It is not the noisy Tyvek that you buy for homebuilding.

I bought a Polycro sheet from Wally World that is sold for storm windows, but in a size that is made for sliding glass doors. It was much heavier than the Tyvek 1443. If you do get a tear in it, which isn't easy, it will easily run from there.

I stuck with the Tyvek. After cutting it for my ground cloth, I kept the leftover, and I have used it to create nickel size patches for a puncture or two, and it is like new, and you can only see that there is even a patch on it by looking closely.

I bought some plastic garden stakes, punched some grommets on it, and I stake it out before putting up my tent. Works great.

31953 31954

sethd513
09-10-2015, 19:06
I'm familiar with normal tyvek because of my occupation but the 1443r option is exactly what I was looking for. Ordered up thanks guys.

Ksbcrocks
09-10-2015, 19:39
I made a bug bivy using the 1443R Asa floor hoping I wouldn't need a ground sheet, but water gets through it way too easy. I use polycro under the bivy now.

jimmyjam
09-10-2015, 20:19
I have used both. Tyvek will leak after a few uses and collects bits of leaves like a magnet. Polycro is way lighter makes no noise and is 100% waterproof. I have gotten over 700 miles and 45 nights on a piece with no holes. Mine is the Stormking patio door shrink wrap from HD.

Dogwood
09-10-2015, 20:24
Wow JJ, with no tears?

sethd513
09-11-2015, 04:13
I have some shrink wrap it f I feel it will be needed. I'm going to be trying this out with my duplex that I'm receiving and go from there on what I want to do for a sheet directly under my pad. I felt like polycryo would be to slick under the Cuban. Hoping to just add an extra barrier to the floor worse case scenario.

v1k1ng1001
09-16-2015, 11:30
I buy a huge pack of polycro and then cut it down to individual sheets. Very cheap and light...can just toss it at the end of your trip.

Durability is an issue on trips longer than 5 days in which case tyvek is the better long-term choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pauly_j
09-16-2015, 11:50
I buy a huge pack of polycro and then cut it down to individual sheets. Very cheap and light...can just toss it at the end of your trip.

Durability is an issue on trips longer than 5 days in which case tyvek is the better long-term choice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, buy as much plastic as possible and just throw it away. After all, it's completely biodegradable and renewable.

SkeeterPee
09-16-2015, 12:55
Hopefully this is not considered hijacking a thread. but I have been looking at this and have settled on tyvek I think, but where can on get large sheets that would fit a 2 person tent? I would like to do the vestibules too I think so that you can step out on tyvek and put on your shoes. I think I need about a 9x10 piece to do it all in one piece. they sell 9ft x165 foot rolls, but has anyone seen anything smaller. I guess I could try to find some new construction and see if they would sell me a piece.

Also, I don't understand how either product protects against water. how come the water does not flow into the layer between the tent/ground cover. what makes it flow under the cover? We had a deluge come down on us last time out car camping and I found out my ancient tent leaked. I had a blue tarp under it and there was so much water flowing under over it, the floor was squishy like a water bed. :)

Zach ADK
09-16-2015, 12:55
I've been using a Tyvek scrap piece for a ground sheet under my Eureka Spitfire for several years now. It does indeed attract leave and bits of stick so I kind of scrape it off a bit and then fold it up dirty side in. I always put the black side down, silver side up so the top is still very clean. I do not think it is waterproof anymore but I don't really need it to be. I try not to camp on places that I think are going to puddle or have water flowing through even in heavy rain. I mostly need the Tvyek to protect the tent floor and keep it waterproof and it has done a fine job of that.
Zach

Studlintsean
09-16-2015, 13:26
Also, I don't understand how either product protects against water. how come the water does not flow into the layer between the tent/ground cover. what makes it flow under the cover? We had a deluge come down on us last time out car camping and I found out my ancient tent leaked. I had a blue tarp under it and there was so much water flowing under over it, the floor was squishy like a water bed. :)

You may already be doing this but camp on an area that will not puddle (most established campsites at shelters are prone to puddling) and make sure the ground cloth is fully tucked under the tent (or it will catch the water and puddle under your tent). Hope this helps.

Vegan Packer
09-16-2015, 15:29
I have been looking at this and have settled on tyvek I think, but where can on get large sheets that would fit a 2 person tent? I would like to do the vestibules too I think so that you can step out on tyvek and put on your shoes.

I bought Tyvek 1443R on Amazon. They sell it in all sorts of sizes. My tent manufacturer makes a footprint out of the same material, and it was less expensive, but it wasn't a perfect fit to cover under the entire floor of the tent, and I wanted that extra protection. In order to do the job as I wanted, I bought my own, and I had to cut and glue a bit, but it came out great.

I made the entryway that you mention. You can see it on the left side in the picture below. As soon as I finish editing and video footage of it with my tent, I'll upload it, and it shows exactly what you want, although I elected not to have it covering the vestibule, just so that I could save a few ounces.

Honestly, with the doormat at the entry, I found that I didn't need the vestibule covered, too, but that is a personal thing. I did make it so that the footprint does stick out from the edge of the floor, and into the vestibule, but just a very little bit, just to make sure that I don't have to put the tent perfectly into position just to have good coverage. However, to keep the rain from working its way under the tent floor, I have it well inside of the vestibule.

Make sure to roll up or fold in the doormat after you are inside the tent. If it sticks out, and then if it rains overnight, it could puddle water back inside and under your tent floor.

Last, make sure to get more than you think you need. I ended out taking the leftover piece, and I cut it into the size of a tablecloth. When it is nice out, I add it over the doormat, and then I have a whole front porch outside of the tent. Another thing that I do is to spread it out wherever, and that is where I eat. I also use it like that for a clean place to take a field bath (with a washcloth), without being in the dirt while trying to get clean. On a nice day, I can lay on my back on the ground without having to be in the tent. I keep the other scraps to make little patches, which you can't even see unless you look really closely.

jimmyjam
09-16-2015, 20:09
Wow JJ, with no tears?
Yep, no tears. When I cut it to size I use a hot knife. The Stormking stuff is quite strong even though it looks like Glad Wrap.

MuddyWaters
09-16-2015, 20:56
Hopefully this is not considered hijacking a thread. but I have been looking at this and have settled on tyvek I think, but where can on get large sheets that would fit a 2 person tent? I would like to do the vestibules too I think so that you can step out on tyvek and put on your shoes. I think I need about a 9x10 piece to do it all in one piece. they sell 9ft x165 foot rolls, but has anyone seen anything smaller. I guess I could try to find some new construction and see if they would sell me a piece.

Several sellers of tyvek pieces on ebay

Scotch65
09-24-2015, 11:33
I use the polycro and seems to hold up well - one thing i did to help was to use the double sided tape in the package to run an edge all the way around the circumference then double over on the tape.