PDA

View Full Version : Hitching with a dog...

MyFeetHurt
11-29-2005, 14:35
I'm trying everything possible to get someone to look after my dog when I attempt my thru strating in March. But as of yet, I haven't been able to find someone. Assuming I get stuck bringing the dog, does anyone have any first hand experience on how this might affect my hitching opportunities. I know people have hiked with dogs many times, so I assume the hitches are still fairly easy to come by. Thanks for any help....

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 14:39
My guess is that your rides would be limited to open bed pick-ups driven by dog lovers.

'Slogger

FatMan
11-29-2005, 15:01
Have you trained your dog for hiking? If not don't take him for both yours and his sake. I have a co-worker who lives on a farm in douglasville who also does animal rescue. I would guess with the proper donation he would be happy to keep your dog while you are away. The dog would have plenty of company as he usually has 5 - 7 dogs at a time and they get to run free as his dog area is completely fenced with a barn for the dogs comfort. If you are unable to find an alternate give me a pm and I can get you in touch with him.

The Solemates
11-29-2005, 15:04
My guess is that your rides would be limited to open bed pick-ups driven by dog lovers.

'Slogger

which shouldnt be too much of a problem in the south, but in the north you will find much more difficulty.

The Solemates
11-29-2005, 15:05
Have you trained your dog for hiking? If not don't take him for both yours and his sake. I have a co-worker who lives on a farm in douglasville who also does animal rescue. I would guess with the proper donation he would be happy to keep your dog while you are away. The dog would have plenty of company as he usually has 5 - 7 dogs at a time and they get to run free as his dog area is completely fenced with a barn for the dogs comfort. If you are unable to find an alternate give me a pm and I can get you in touch with him.

shoot, for a proper donation i too would keep your dog. seriously. pm me if interesed. we already have a coonhound. what kinda dog do you have?

the goat
11-29-2005, 15:08
i've done tons of hitching with my dog. it's actually been pretty easy for me.

i would make sure your dog's ready for the hiking though, it can be pretty rough on 'em.

MyFeetHurt
11-29-2005, 15:41
thanks everyone, like i said, i am really trying to get someone to watch him for me. i've taken him on tons of hikes, but i understand how much harder i'll make it on myself to finish if i bring him along. and i don't really think he'd enjoy 6 months straight the way he enjoys his weekend hikes. just wanted to be sure that if i'm stuck, and don't have any options, that he wouldn't completely ruin my town visits. again, thanks for the suggestions, and i appreciate your willingness to help get me in touch with your friend FatMan. I'm still working on my dad pretty hard though. I'd like to keep the dog with a familiar person. oh, and he's a lab mix I found on the side of the road about 4 years ago. The best dog there is. Morrison.

neo
11-29-2005, 16:54
just get rid of the dog,dogs are a pain anyway:cool: neo

MyFeetHurt
11-29-2005, 17:28
getting rid of the dog is NOT an option....

saimyoji
11-29-2005, 19:26
For the proper donation I know some guys who could 'get rid of him' for ya! :eek:

justusryans
11-29-2005, 19:38
Tastes like chicken!! :D

Husko
11-29-2005, 20:06
For the proper donation I know some guys who could 'get rid of him' for ya! :eek:

For the proper donations I can find someone to get rid of you. :cool:

11-29-2005, 20:27
We thru hiked with a dog. My first suggestion is to not take the dog. After hiking with out a dog it is much more enjiyable. As far as the hitching. We had no problem. We even had a very well dressed lady pick us up in the rain in her brand new Lexus.

The Old Fhart
11-29-2005, 22:37
MyFeetHurt-"I'm trying everything possible to get someone to look after my dog when I attempt my thru strating in March. But as of yet, I haven't been able to find someone. Assuming I get stuck bringing the dog......." Just replace "dog" in the above quote with "85 year old grandmother". If you couldn't get someone to look after a loved one, would the responsible thing to do be; 1) don't hike until the problem is resolved; or 2) "get stuck bringing [fill in the blank]".

While I realize that a thru hike is a very egotistical thing to do (just ask any non-hiking spouse), it doesn't mean the way to handle any pre-hike problem is to select the optional (hike) while ignoring the required. I'm not trying to be cruel by quashing your plans, just pointing out the facts of life.

Husko
11-29-2005, 22:50
Just replace "dog" in the above quote with "85 year old grandmother". If you couldn't get someone to look after a loved one, would the responsible thing to do be; 1) don't hike until the problem is resolved; or 2) "get stuck bringing [fill in the blank]".

While I realize that a thru hike is a very egotistical thing to do (just ask any non-hiking spouse), it doesn't mean the way to handle any pre-hike problem is to select the optional (hike) while ignoring the required. I'm not trying to be cruel by quashing your plans, just pointing out the facts of life.

Your not squashing his plans. he has a few of months to find a solution. I'm dealing with the same problem for my 06 SOBO hike.

I hope this fella finds a comforting solution. Wether it's bring him along or find a place for his dog to stay.

If I didn't already rescue a dog and live in an apartment, I would gladly offer this guy a 6 month sleep over for his dog with 2-3 mile walks every day not including quick outings, morning walks and trips to the the local pet store.

Best wishes for you and your freind!

Tin Man
11-30-2005, 00:13
Gee, another forum on dogs. :datz

The Desperado
11-30-2005, 00:18
Hey I live in JOISEY, for the right price I can find someone to get rid of you and the dog!! [only kidding] ha ha .......

Husko
11-30-2005, 00:39
Hey I live in JOISEY, for the right price I can find someone to get rid of you and the dog!! [only kidding] ha ha .......

Terrorist! :rolleyes:

general
11-30-2005, 09:41
don't go to Bryson City with your pooch. that whole town ain't nothin' but dog nazis. i never had a problem other than that. when you go to town for some comforts it's a little harder to find a place to lay your head, but an extra 20 at the desk gets your dog a long way. hike with a good lookin' lady. that makes hitching soooooo much easier.

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 09:43
The only good thing about Bryson City is they sell beer. It ain't no trail town.

Youngblood
11-30-2005, 10:23
The only good thing about Bryson City is they sell beer. It ain't no trail town.
They had some cheap lodging, laudromat, large grocery store, restuarant, a bar and it seemed like a neat little town. Some of the cheap lodging and the grocery store were a little ways out of town. Think I even got BBQ in 2000. I did have a little trouble hitching a ride and it is a good ways off the trail. I thought if they would let you use the train to commute to the NOC at a reasonable price that it would be pretty neat. What do you think it is lacking?

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 10:27
It's just too far away. The NOC has everything a hiker needs. Most have just re-supplied in Franklin so there is no need to go to Bryson City.

fiddlehead
11-30-2005, 17:44
I've already hitched with other hikers who had a dog and it turned out to be easy hitchin. Dog lovers take care of each other and many times we got rides because of the dog. People said they would never have picked us up if we hadn't had a dog.
That is about the only advantage i see of hiking with a dog.

Cookerhiker
11-30-2005, 19:54
I've already hitched with other hikers who had a dog and it turned out to be easy hitchin. Dog lovers take care of each other and many times we got rides because of the dog. People said they would never have picked us up if we hadn't had a dog.
That is about the only advantage i see of hiking with a dog.

Amen to that. 2 years ago while hitchiking betwen AT sections in Connecticut, I was picked up by a homeless guy (lived out of his car) with a dog. He said he had hitched across the country east-to-west with great difficulty. In California, he got a dog and hitched back east. He said it was much easier with a dog - like the above post, he's convinced he wouldn't have gotten rides without the dog.

docllamacoy
12-05-2005, 14:14
We've done two thru-hikes with our dog and had no problems hitchhiking. Also, hiking with our dog enhanced our hikes and made them quite enjoyable.

Nean
12-06-2005, 02:40
That was the biggest surprise, people will turn around to give you a ride if you got a dog. Seems there are those who think more of them than they do of us. And with good reason.... :eek:
Hiking with Cooler was some of the best hiking I've ever done:) :) :) :)

Nean
12-06-2005, 02:46
BTW, Heald and Annie are honored guest tonite! Annie, the wonder dog, recently became a 14,000 miler!!

general
12-06-2005, 09:46
BTW, Heald and Annie are honored guest tonite! Annie, the wonder dog, recently became a 14,000 miler!!

a fine hello to heald and annie the wonder dog from the folks here in north georgia.

Nean
12-06-2005, 13:03
I have the Honor of taking care of Annie, Trail Legend, AND an American Dogfolk Hero!, while Heald hikes the Smokys. If that sounds like bragging too you.......that's because it is! ;)

Shutterbug
12-08-2005, 14:28
On Tuesday I drove out to the Olympic National Park to hike. One the way, I passed a guy with a large dog trying to hitch a ride. I didn't stop because I didn't have room in my pickup truck for the dog. Six hours later, when I returned, he was still there with his thumb in the air.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but having a dog cuts down on the chances of a ride. The larger the dog, the greater the problem.

Nean
12-08-2005, 15:03
I hear you Shutterbug.:-? Maybe it has something to do with type of dog, or person for that matter.;) Proximity to the trail could be another factor among many. I'm only speaking of my own personal experiences.:p
BTW, No room in your pick-up? I can get 4 hikers, myself, thier gear and a 70lb. dog in my little Saturn SL. :confused:

Sly
12-08-2005, 15:32
Hitch-hiking with a dog may be easy, but hitch-hiking with a blonde is easier! ;)

Sly
12-08-2005, 15:34
I saw Annie on Thanksgiving at Miss Janet's. It didn't look like she had many miles left, but at that point, neither may I. :(

lobster
12-10-2005, 23:05
LW,

Did you ever go coonhunting with any of the good old boys in Damascus?

Hey

Skyline
12-10-2005, 23:58

Both awesome hikers, and reluctant trail legends.

Nean
12-11-2005, 02:24
Skyline and Sly are both right. Humble hikers without a doubt. And like a lot of old timers, once Annie gets warmed up and rolling -she glides. I once hiked with a blonde AND a dog Sly; that worked well for me:) I can vouch for redheads too;)