PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a canister stove

LuckyMan
09-10-2015, 11:15
I flew United on a recent flight to do a long section hike on the PCT and noticed in United's fine print that it allows canister stoves in luggage, but only if they are new and have never been used. I ended up going stoveless on that hike but now am about to fly a different airline to do a long hike and want to bring my canister stove, which is not new. Has anyone had a problem with an airline or TSA confiscating a canister stove? To reduce the risk of a problem, is there some particular way I should I wash or clean the stove to remove any trace of fuel residue? Of course I'm not bringing a fuel canister, just the stove; will get fuel and a lighter after arriving.

gregpphoto
09-10-2015, 11:23
Actually you can fly with a used stove, as long as its been cleaned and has no odors of gas. However, you might not be able to convince the TSA person screening your stuff of this, but its there on their own website http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-for.html

And from MSR:
TSA Rules – You are allowed to bring a stove in checked or carry-on baggage, but ONLY if you take the time and care to empty it of all fuel and clean it so there are no vapors or residue left. If you do not clean the stove thoroughly flammable vapors will remain, and those can lead to confiscation. We recommend storing your clean, dry stove in its stuff sack and packing it in a checked bag.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/flying-with-a-camping-stove/

illabelle
09-10-2015, 13:12
Since we can't control what the individual TSA agent will do, and having our stove confiscated will create logistical headaches, we always put the stove into a checked bag. Another option is to ship the stove ahead via UPS, but the checked bag works very well.

JustaTouron
09-10-2015, 14:42
I don't know how to clean it, but....

The TSA agent is not looking for camping equipment, they are looking for bombs and if your stove "smells" like a bomb it will get confiscated. For that reason if you have a stuff stack you store stove in you might want to get a a new one, because if it has had fuel spilled on it or have absorbed a lot of vapor it could set off the detector.

Traveler
09-10-2015, 15:05
I don't know how to clean it, but....

The TSA agent is not looking for camping equipment, they are looking for bombs and if your stove "smells" like a bomb it will get confiscated. For that reason if you have a stuff stack you store stove in you might want to get a a new one, because if it has had fuel spilled on it or have absorbed a lot of vapor it could set off the detector.

If you have ever gone through airport security and they have wiped your hands or carryon with the small round swatch then put it into the "sniffer", your day can be ruined fast if you have any traces of fuel residue on your hands. Carry on stoves needs to be really cleaned well.

QHShowoman
09-10-2015, 15:34
I think this is another "luck of the TSA draw" thing, like with trekking poles...

I recommend ALWAYS packing your stove in a checked bag.
Make sure it doesn't smell of fuel - I've read somewhere you can clean them with either mineral oil or denatured alcohol.
Stoves that are fairly small and inconspicuous - like a Soto Windmaster - will probably raise less suspicion.

I've never had an issue, but I just saw a post on another forum about a gal who tried to fly through Bangor, ME after completing the AT and they pulled her JetBoil out of her check baggage and she was forced to FedEx it back or get rid of it.

HooKooDooKu
09-10-2015, 15:47
I think this is another "luck of the TSA draw" thing, like with trekking poles...
What can you tell us of your experience with trekking poles...

I hike with a VERY long bamboo pole (taller than me) and I'm interested in hiking the JMT in a year or so. Will require me to fly to have the time to do it and I've wondered about how to get the pole to the JMT and back.

Traveler
09-10-2015, 15:59

I hike with a VERY long bamboo pole (taller than me) and I'm interested in hiking the JMT in a year or so. Will require me to fly to have the time to do it and I've wondered about how to get the pole to the JMT and back.

A long pole like that might be better off shipped in a wooden box made to fit it. You likely won't be able to get it onto the plane for overhead and by the time it reaches where you are going the luggage will have had their way with it. It's a bit of cost, but once you have the crate built, you can reuse it. Better check with UPS or FedEx to see what their shipping length limit is first though.

ken209
09-10-2015, 16:03
I use a alcohol stove, never had any problems.

hikernutcasey
09-10-2015, 16:14
I just flew Jet Blue from Charlotte to Boston round trip carrying both a MSR Pocket Rocket and hiking poles in my checked luggage with no problem. TSA did check my duffel because when I got to the hostel the first night I found a note inside my food bag noting it had been searched. The food bag was inside the duffel along with the stove and poles.

Odd Man Out
09-10-2015, 17:09
I can only assume that the wording about cleaning residual stove fuel was designed to apply to white gas stoves. I can't imagine that gas canister stoves would have any fuel and would need to be cleaned. But because TSA agent would not understand this it may not be worth the risk. It would be really nice if the people who write these rules would figure this out.

Traveler
09-10-2015, 17:13
I can only assume that the wording about cleaning residual stove fuel was designed to apply to white gas stoves. I can't imagine that gas canister stoves would have any fuel and would need to be cleaned. But because TSA agent would not understand this it may not be worth the risk. It would be really nice if the people who write these rules would figure this out.

Perhaps its the other way around. Canisters have an odor, though you may not be able to smell it, the "sniffers" can. Which is why they can get discovered and pulled. The TSA agent does not know whats in the canister, your claims its only cooking gas may seem logical to you, but to them its suspect.

Dogwood
09-10-2015, 17:28
I've flown quite extensively domestically from many different U.S. International APs, and a fewer smaller non- International APs, including United Airlines, as well as a bunch of other airlines, with well used Snow Peak Ti Lite Max, MSR Micro Rocket, and BSR UL isobutane canister stoves, all without piezo ignition, in my carry-on backpacks stored inside a Ti Snow Peak Solo pot w/ lid wrapped up loosely inside a small pack towel, w/ included foldable Optimus Ti spork, and 20 ft of coiled spectra bear bagging line. Since I'm not taking a 4 oz canister in the pot I often fill up the remaining space with something like a clean pr of socks. It also keeps the rattling about down. I regularly clean and maintain my well used gear, including my stoves, by simply washing, air drying, and wiping down the stove and checking for any signs of significant wear. As I said on Gambit Mcrae's flying with a backpack thread, I may get some stares with a what is it attitude at first by TSA X-ray operators, but I've never had issue carry one of these stoves as I've explained it on any domestic originating flight.

In all honesty, I don't think it's a hit or miss situation with the TSA when it comes to canister stoves decently cleaned. Don't confuse situations that have been related involving used fuel residue containing MSR Whisperlite type stoves, fuel bottles, and some uncleaned alcohol stoves. And, although an airline may have specific carry-on regs I think it is the TSA itself that sets the standard on what is and is not allowed to be carried onto any domestic originating flight. It is the TSA regs you have to be concerned when it comes to your canister stove.

BTW , we're talking canister stoves NOT canisters.

Also check out the BSR UL canister stove at 25 grams. It's the most compact lightest wt canister stove I know of.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NNMF70U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FVB70KDJE667

Dogwood
09-10-2015, 17:39
I do the same thing Luckyman. I usually buy a BIC and a canister after the flight or perhaps ground ship them ahead with other stuff.

Dogwood
09-10-2015, 17:51
I just flew Jet Blue from Charlotte to Boston round trip carrying both a MSR Pocket Rocket and hiking poles in my checked luggage with no problem. TSA did check my duffel because when I got to the hostel the first night I found a note inside my food bag noting it had been searched. The food bag was inside the duffel along with the stove and poles.

I've had that happen with checked backpacks even when inside of duffles. A few times, about three times, I was missing gear. Twice it was critical pricey gear components. Once found damaged tarp poles after a flight when still at the AP that I know had occurred when going through as checked baggage. I rarely check backpacks anymore. I overwhelmingly tend to carry on my UL small volume kits. I don't find it fun scrambling to replace or repair damaged or missing gear when I should be backpacking especially when in remote locations. BTW, if you do check backpacks after picking them up after the flight BEFORE you leave the AP check and double check for any missing or damaged gear so you can submit a claim ASAP at the AP. It took me months before I was reimbursed for damaged or missing gear after making a claim.

Dogwood
09-10-2015, 17:54
Ever watch how most baggage handlers grab backpacks? Or for that matter Amtrak or Greyhound handlers? Rarely do they grab the backpack by its tote loop. Fortunately I've experienced no damaged shoulder straps when not checked inside a duffle. If I must check a backpack I usually shrink wrap or duffle bag it.

HooKooDooKu
09-10-2015, 18:09
A long pole like that might be better off shipped in a wooden box made to fit it. You likely won't be able to get it onto the plane for overhead and by the time it reaches where you are going the luggage will have had their way with it. It's a bit of cost, but once you have the crate built, you can reuse it. Better check with UPS or FedEx to see what their shipping length limit is first though.
I had hoped it might be something that could be gate-checked.

I don't think a "wooden box" is going to work.
First of all is the expense of the box itself. It would make a lot more sense (both in terms of cost, strength, and weight) to make something out of PVC tubing).
Second of all, where would I store it while hiking the JMT for 3 weeks.
Third, I don't expect to reuse it (except for a return flight) as this would be expected to be a once-in-a-life-time trip. When I hiked the Grand Canyon, I drove there to afford the transportation. I would drive again except for I've only got a limited amount of vacation time to do this. Driving would cost me additional days.

QHShowoman
09-10-2015, 19:05

I have Leki poles that collapse, so this is not equivalent to your bamboo pole, but I don't even risk trying to get them through TSA. I've always either shipped them ahead or put them in my checked baggage, inside a cardboard poster tube. So far, that's worked well for me.

I hiked in Sweden this summer where a lot of people hiked with long wooden staffs, but I don't remember seeing a single one being carried onto the plane (and the plane was almost entirely hikers) or on the baggage carousel, so I am kind of stumped as to how they got them to/from.

mateozzz
09-10-2015, 20:29
If you have ever gone through airport security and they have wiped your hands or carryon with the small round swatch then put it into the "sniffer", your day can be ruined fast if you have any traces of fuel residue on your hands. Carry on stoves needs to be really cleaned well.

The sniffer is checking for explosives, not fuel. Chemically they are not similar.

MuddyWaters
09-10-2015, 21:08
Any secondary inspection of checked baggage can cause it to be delayed and miss a connection. It doesnt always matter whats "allowed", lf you need bag to show up on time. Sometimes not worth risk.

chiefiepoo
09-10-2015, 21:27
"]Any secondary inspection of checked baggage can cause it to be delayed and miss a connection. It doesnt always matter whats "allowed", lf you need bag to show up on time. Sometimes not worth risk.".
Amen to that. For a trip to Glacier NP, in August I departed Tampa to Chicago with my back pack in an Osprey Airporter duffel. I checked in an hour before boarding time, or 5am. My flight departed 6:10 am. Arriving in Midway my bag was nowhere to be found. I had built in 6 hours of hang time just to cover what I thought would be the airline's propensity to loose or delay bags. Well, when the bag arrived, 4 hours later it had a time punched inspection record card from TSA Time stamped 5:58 am. So, an hour mol was not enough time to clear the secondary inspection. I still made the AMTRAK connection though. Had it not, I would have had to have the airline FedEx the bag to a motel or outfitter near the park.

nsherry61
09-11-2015, 00:30
I've traveled/flown a fair amount with canister shoves. Never thought about it. Never had a problem. As for long poles, just put it/them in a long cardboard box and fly with it like skis. Heck, use a ski box.

Traveler
09-11-2015, 07:12
I had hoped it might be something that could be gate-checked.

I don't think a "wooden box" is going to work.
First of all is the expense of the box itself. It would make a lot more sense (both in terms of cost, strength, and weight) to make something out of PVC tubing).
Second of all, where would I store it while hiking the JMT for 3 weeks.
Third, I don't expect to reuse it (except for a return flight) as this would be expected to be a once-in-a-life-time trip. When I hiked the Grand Canyon, I drove there to afford the transportation. I would drive again except for I've only got a limited amount of vacation time to do this. Driving would cost me additional days.

The PVC tube does make sense, I have seen long tube sight gauges made of brittle material shipped in customized wooden containers so thats what came to mind right away. Schedule 40 PVC pipe with ends can probably be made for under $10 at Home Depot. You can toss it out and build a new one when you are ready to return.

Gate checking may or may not be an option depending on the airline, calling them before hand would clear that up. Typically if you gate check bags they go to the final destination anyway and isn't much different than checking it at the counter. Counter check may be the better alternative so you don't have to deal with TSA in getting it through security. On thinking about this, it may make some sense to spend an extra $10 and double tube it (1" PVC pipe inside a 1-1/2" PVC pipe) to be sure its rigid enough to withstand a 50lb hardshell suitcase landing on it.

I will be really interested how this works out for you.

HooKooDooKu
09-11-2015, 12:54
I will be really interested how this works out for you.
I've already figured out that one way this might just have to work out is to simply buy some trekking poles and attached them to the pack.

It's just that I've always used a long bamboo pole, and this particular one has been used in GSMNP and GCNP. Had hoped to add JMT to the places it has been.

LuckyMan
09-20-2015, 11:45
Update: I wiped down my stove with alcohol pads, put it in my backpack in checked luggage, had no problems from tsa or the airline, enjoyed my $50 nonstop flight from pbi to Asheville.

Aram
09-21-2015, 12:53
Flying home from Maine I had a canister stove (SnowPeak) in my carry on (backpack) which had been used while hiking, It was not questioned nor confiscated. The only measures I took were to look at it: looked clean, smell it: no odor, and to leave the valve open so any residual fuel inside had time to evaporate.

3 Hours prior in a smaller airport my friend carried his in the same manner and was told he had to throw it away or have it confiscated. The differences appeared to be only in the individual agent.

Play it safe and either check it, mail ahead, or if you wish to carry on then print the TSA website info and be ready to advocate for yourself if you wish to carry on.

Hers is what Cascade Designs thinks: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/flying-with-a-camping-stove/

Kenai
09-21-2015, 13:47

I have taken fly rods with me quite often on flights, with no issues. I have a collapsible, plastic rod tube holder, that can be adjusted from 4'5" to 8'5". I bring it on the plane with me. I ask the flight attendant to put it in the garment bag compartment if it will fit. If it is too big, they will gate check it for me, and it is usually one of the first items to arrive at the baggage carousel. Add some foam or bubble wrap, and it should be just fine, when you arrive.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-4-5-Adjustable-Rod-Case/dp/B000E3FLPM