PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Pines (CT)

Kerosene
09-07-2002, 20:06
After all the rocks and uneven trail bed from Pennsylvania northwards, walking through widely-spaced majestic pines on a bed of needles feels like heaven. Too bad it doesn't last a bit longer.

Peaks
09-08-2002, 06:49
I think that Cathedral Pines was severaly damaged in a storm a few years ago. And I think that the trail has been relocated to the other side of the Housatonic River so it no longer goes through Catherdral Pines.

copythat
07-27-2004, 23:35
FROM NEWSPAPER REPORTS (Yes, the liberal media):

On July 10, 1989, an area of thunderstorms first appeared in the Berkshires of western Mass., and pushed eastward through Massachusetts during midday. Then during mid-afternoon, another area of squalls developed in the Berkshires. It rolled southeastward and spun off a series of tornadoes that carved a narrow path of destruction from Cornwall's Cathedral Pines (one of the grandest stands of white pine and hemlock east of the Mississippi River) to New Haven's shore. Along the path, which seemed to follow close to Route 63, the sky darkened to midnight proportions and the sounds of a roaring freight train filled the air.

All but a few trees were toppled, the trunks of hundreds of 150-foot-tall pines blown over in a tangle of bark, boughs and broken wood. It took 10 minutes to destroy a 200-year-old forest.

The strongest tornado in the cluster touched down in Hamden and New Haven. The intensity could match anything the Midwest might be able to deliver. Estimated winds were in the 200 mph category. The only fatality I know of was a Girl Scout at a state park about halfway between Cornwall and New Haven, hit by a tree or limb.