PDA

View Full Version : Need Rain & Or Wind Pants

Googan
09-11-2015, 00:37
I went with a OR Helium II rain jacket, now I need a pair of pants.

Vegan Packer
09-11-2015, 02:28
I suggest skipping the pants, and getting a rain kilt instead. I have the OR Helium II, just like you, and I didn't want to spoil its tremendous breathability by getting rain pants, no matter what claims are made about how well they breath.

I added Mountain Hardware Nutshell High Gaiters, and I couldn't be happier. The gaiters run high enough to pass under the bottom of the kilt, and that keeps water from trickling down from the bottom of the kilt, down into my shoes. I bought the ULA Rain Kilt in the long size.

Five Tango
09-11-2015, 06:56
I am wondering if anyone hikes in bibs as a rain/wind shell?

Gambit McCrae
09-11-2015, 16:13
I am wondering if anyone hikes in bibs as a rain/wind shell?

I have carried FT bibs cause they came with the jacket but I don't recall ever wearing them. I need to consider a kilt

Googan
09-11-2015, 21:51
I don't plan on wearing gaiters, and I'd like some kind of pants for the wind. I'm not opposed to carrying a kilt and wind/rain pant as well as long as the weight is good.

q-tip
09-12-2015, 07:00
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123&gen_cd=1

Mont Bell Dynamo Wind Pant - 2.6 oz. $69. They are great.....

Plug-it In
09-12-2015, 10:10
Rain paints can help keep heat in and wind out. Great for the winter.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Dogwood
09-12-2015, 13:41
That's a pretty funny looking pic VeganHiker. If I was hiking with my nieces and nephews I think you might scare them looking like that. You must work for the gov't or be testing for radiation. You're already off balance if you're a Vegan. :D

Vegan Packer
09-13-2015, 04:27
That's a pretty funny looking pic VeganHiker. If I was hiking with my nieces and nephews I think you might scare them looking like that. You must work for the gov't or be testing for radiation. You're already off balance if you're a Vegan. :D

Scaring away would give me the solitude on the trail that I seek, so I guess that my plan is working. :banana

Regarding my stylish color choices, as a retired technical scuba instructor who is familiar with Search and Rescue techniques in remote offshore diving locations, I know that bright orange stands out, in the event that I am hoping to be found when I am in a survival situation. Function first, then style, my friend. My life could depend upon it, some day, though I hope that the worst case scenario will be that I will never need it, and that I will just look stylish while lighting up the trail for everyone.

As for being vegan, I just consider that another lifesaving technique. :sun

Spacelord
09-13-2015, 17:48
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123&gen_cd=1

Mont Bell Dynamo Wind Pant - 2.6 oz. $69. They are great.....
I love these. Have 2 pairs on the shelf in the closet on standby. I got almost 2 years use on my first pair.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

jred321
10-12-2015, 00:03
When are you starting? Do you need pants? I think I wore mine 2-3 times on the trail, both times when stopped at camp after it was cold and rainy all day. Since I was in camp I could have just crawled into my sleeping bag. They got far more usage as pants while doing laundry. I'd say really consider whether you need them or not - if you're starting early and might run into more cold weather you're more likely to need them, if you're starting in April you're less likely to need them. If you do go with pants I say get something cheap and light as you probably won't be wearing them much. Frogg Toggs work.

Googan
10-12-2015, 22:21
I plan on a March 15th start. I thin pants are worth carrying and they aren't going to make or break me weight wise.

Dogwood
10-12-2015, 23:10
With a Mar 15 NOBO start date and being from southern FL I'd bring along actual WP rain pants, not just WR pants, if you're doing the rain pants thing , which IMO is not a bad idea for you. And, PLEASE adopt the notion that rain/wind pants are not just for wearing to address rain and wind. There are other times they can and will be worn. What are your torso layers under the OR Helium II? You're going to experience cold wet drizzle sleet snow rain sub 25* temps, etc No hand pockets on the Helium II either. Easy to get cold and wet in the southern Appalachians in Mar-Apr