PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one??? Please tell me no.

plexusbritt
09-11-2015, 10:02
Am I the only one who uses an old Magic Chef tower-type dehydrator? It's close to twenty years old (my mom made my school snacks in it-no wonder I got funny looks at school when I said "mommy says this is better for me than fruit roll-ups") but I love it and still use it. She's slowing waaaaaay down though. Took me almost 12 hours yesterday to get one rack of steamed, drained, and patted dry cabbage done.

I don't mind the extra time for nostalgia sake but looking at some of your sleek machines makes me wonder...

Anything liquid gets tossed in the oven nowadays as the round shape makes for tedious cutting of parchment paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plexusbritt
09-12-2015, 20:55
Anyone?? Lol

bigcranky
09-13-2015, 08:38
OK, yes, I admit it. We still have one, with about 20 trays that we can stack to the ceiling. Please don't hit me again. :)

Yeah, it's kind of a pain, but it still works.

Hikes in Rain
09-13-2015, 08:58
OK, I'll admit it. I have one, too. I did "trade" it in for a new Excalibur, but haven't gotten around to selling or donating the old one yet, so technically I still have it. It did fine for a number of years, but the Excalibur is bigger and more versatile.

plexusbritt
09-13-2015, 08:59
I want to get a new one but I just can't see it happening before Christmas

WingedMonkey
09-13-2015, 10:38
Still have it and still use (since 1993?) American Harvest.

It now lives year round on the big screened-in back porch on the way in and out to the garden. Don't need more heat or humidity inside a Florida house. I think sometimes the air temperature is more than I set for the dehydrators temperature.

Up to about 10 trays I think. Make my own tray liners out of Visqueen for liquids or nylon screen for herbs and stuff.

plexusbritt
09-13-2015, 11:09
I have a love hate relationship with mine. It's good for herbs, veggies, fruit, and chicken but sauces just do turn out well in it. Bean paste either.