PDA

View Full Version : Late September mosquitoes in North Georgia? Do I need bug net?

jcollier1971
09-11-2015, 10:56
Heading out Sept 25 to hike Neel's Gap to GA/NC border. What's the mosquito situation this time of year? Using hammock. Do I need a bug net?
Thanks. Jeff.

Ashepabst
09-11-2015, 12:22
I would say yes... very doubtful that we'll get our first freeze before then... probably more spiders than mosquitos by then.

or maybe not... but better safe than miserable

Harmless
09-11-2015, 13:29
Data point: I live in the flatlands in Atlanta, in a neighborhood with a mosquito problem. We see mosquitos here well into October. Of course, it is colder at elevation.

I will be ending a trip at Neels on the 17th. I'll just miss you!

Uncle Joe
09-11-2015, 13:30
I have to tell ya, I hiked between Woody and Hogpen and wasn't bothered at all by skeeters. I do have some bites but I think no-seeums are to blame. It was very windy at night which is probably why. It's also getting pretty cool at night up there. Not sure I would forego the net but you might find you may not use it.

daddytwosticks
09-11-2015, 16:15
Hiked around Tray Mountain this past weekend. Skeeters were a non-issue and I believe they will be when you plan to hike. :)

tflaris
09-11-2015, 17:16
No problems with mosquitoes from Springer to Neel. Just off trail Sept 8th

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Abatis1948
09-11-2015, 17:33
Was sleeping in a Hammock at Dockery Lake, Georgia, for three nights last week. Hiked up the Dockery Lake Trail to the AT and south on the trail to Woody Gap. Did not deploy my mosquito net, but had to use my under quilt to stay warm after 2 am. You will need a pad or quilt in late September. Have fun.

bigcranky
09-11-2015, 20:56
I've never taken a head net in the Southern Appalachians any time of the year. I finally broke down and got one for our hike in Vermont last summer, and never used it. Go figure...

Edit, sorry, I thought you said "head net." Yes, I would take a bug net for my hammock to sleep at night.

FatMan
09-11-2015, 21:06
We don't have any stinkin' skeeters up here in the GA Mtns regardless of the season. But you will have some flies, gnats, and yellow jackets at lower elevations unless we get a freeze. Fall is in the air and we are expecting temps to fall into the 40s tomorrow night so a freeze may be unlikely but possible.

glenlawson
09-12-2015, 22:21
I don't think so. I don't think the bugs in the mountains are ever that bad, but when the hot weather breaks, it's just nice up there. Here is a forecast for the next 15 days for Blairsville:

AO2134
09-12-2015, 23:21
Been hiking the BMT and the amount of spiders is flat out nuts. It gets so bad I have mini break downs. The AT has it's fair share, but lesser traveled trails like the BMT or the BT just have a scary amount of spiders.

plexusbritt
09-14-2015, 08:26
Maybe I'm just weird but I don't even own one... My husband is a north GA boy and consequently that's his favorite place to hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TEXMAN
09-14-2015, 15:10
You can buy one cheap at Walmart and they weigh next to nothing so why not carry one? I carry one and have only used it once but when you need it it sure is nice to have it with you.

jcamp
09-15-2015, 17:08
I went out in that general vicinity last week in my hammock and used a head net only at night. It was really more a just in case thing.