PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished AT sectioning

jbwood5
09-11-2015, 14:45
I finished the last 220 miles from Rangely to Katahdin this year. The last 3rd of Maine was the crown jewel of the AT. I had excellent weather (cool and breezy) with only a couple of afternoon T-Storms of concern. I'm looking forward to re-doing some sections when I get a chance.

Hikingmaddie
09-11-2015, 14:46
congrats! :)

illabelle
09-11-2015, 14:55
Way to go! Looking forward to doing the same in a few years. Congratulations!

AO2134
09-11-2015, 15:07
So awesome. As a weekend warrior, I dream about section hiking the AT, but lately I've come to the realization that the AT for me will end at Damascus or maybe Harper's ferry.

How long did it take you if you don't mind me asking.

Soo cool. Congrats man!

rafe
09-11-2015, 15:16
Congratulations!

Moosling
09-11-2015, 16:09
Congrats bud!

jbwood5
09-11-2015, 16:48
So awesome. As a weekend warrior, I dream about section hiking the AT, but lately I've come to the realization that the AT for me will end at Damascus or maybe Harper's ferry.

How long did it take you if you don't mind me asking.

Soo cool. Congrats man!

I started in 1999 and had to take from 2005 to 2009 off due to job loss. It was much easier in the early years, except that each year it took about 4-5 days to get over soreness and minor blisters. I often had to take a zero after 4-5 days. I remember in 2004 hiking from Duncannon, PA to Great Barrington, MA. I was in such great shape that I just wanted to keep going, but I had to get back to FL and find a job.

My toughest year was last year, coming off the Whites, and tackling early parts of Maine with a bad knee. I was quite relieved this year to find that there were long stretches of reasonable terrain between the steeper climbs. There were 2 days in the 100 mile wilderness that I did back-to-back 20 mile days. I know that is no big deal for they younger guys, but I thought those long days would never happen again

tflaris
09-11-2015, 17:12
Congrats

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Cobble
09-11-2015, 18:31
JBWood...congratulations on finishing something truly epic! I totally feel you as I finished my last chunk last summer too.

Here's to you chunk hiker...may you always be in the groove! LASHers Forever!

Traveler
09-11-2015, 19:42
Nice job. Great pursuit!

jbwood5
09-11-2015, 19:55
Thanks Everyone

fudgefoot
09-11-2015, 19:59
Congrats JB from another section hiker! I finished this summer too - my last section was Monson to Katahdin. It took me 17 years but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm already thinking about hitting some other trails next year

MkBibble
09-11-2015, 20:47
You guys are an inspiration. Thanks and congratulations!

u.w.
09-11-2015, 23:20
Congratulations on an epic accomplishment!!

Very Very Cool!!

u.w.

rocketsocks
09-11-2015, 23:43
Good job...

misprof
09-12-2015, 02:30
Hurray and Congrats

Kenai
09-12-2015, 06:31
@jbwoods
Awesome! Do you have a blog or journal of your hike?

rickb
09-12-2015, 06:42
Another congrats. Actually you section hikers deserve an extra big one.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

bigcranky
09-12-2015, 07:43
Awesome! Many congratulations. Sectioning the trail is a tough thing to do and a major accomplishment.

Bubblehead
09-12-2015, 07:58
That's awesome.....Congrats! I'm planning on hiking SOBO HF to Springer beginning next April, and in 2017 hiking NOBO HF to Katahdin to finish it. I'm really excited!

kolokolo
09-12-2015, 12:52
Congrats! Hearing your story gives me encouragement that one day I'll complete the trail, too. (Just passed 1000 miles this year).

George
09-12-2015, 13:41
I did zealand hut to K this year, was the last section I owed - talked to quite a few who were doing their last section and finishing at K - since I did mine in random sequence/ direction I never thought it would be so common to finish sectioning at the N end - for me it was a time off/ logistics thing, I mostly do sections in winter and Maine is most practical in Aug/ Sept so it kept being put off

George
09-12-2015, 13:46
BTW - look at the ages of everyone who responded/ acknowledged this thread - almost all the same, I guess it makes sense that sectioning is a mid-lifers (non-crises) strategy

chiefiepoo
09-12-2015, 14:58
Congratulations JB. Remember you dropped me off at Amicola SP back in 2011. I've done sections in VT, MA and NC these past few years but nothing over 110 miles mol. Thinking about starting at Hot Springs in the Spring and getting up to Damascus. Well done for you.

SoCal Mike
08-20-2016, 18:05
Congratulations on your achievement! This sort of thing always inspires me to get more. Thank you.

Michael

AfterParty
08-20-2016, 21:11
That's something special

peakbagger
08-21-2016, 05:38
Great Job. It took me so long to get the entire trail done I ended up doing another trip to the south to go pick up a few pieces that I had to blue blaze (due to closures or unsafe conditions).

rafe
08-21-2016, 15:13
Congratulations! I'd just add... no need to be "finished", you can always start a second go-around. :)

Deacon
08-21-2016, 16:30
Thanks Everyone

Don't forget to apply for your 2000 miler patch!

jbwood5
08-21-2016, 18:52
Don't forget to apply for your 2000 miler patch!

I did, but never heard back from them. It's not a big deal to me, since it is mostly self satisfaction and knowing in my own mind that I accomplished an epic adventure over some of the prime years of my life.

PacDaddy
08-21-2016, 21:41
Congratulations,

What was your longest amount of consecutive days including zero days that you were able to go? did you do fall and spring or just once a year, multiple times per year?

what was you pack weight in 99 compared to the last few years.

Thanks i will be back out again in the fall. my first section was cut short by a companion that had a knee injury this year. we only got in 4 days from springer but i want to fishish Ga and get into NC this year and have the goal to make it all the way.....someday.

jbwood5
08-22-2016, 07:54
Congratulations,

What was your longest amount of consecutive days including zero days that you were able to go? did you do fall and spring or just once a year, multiple times per year?

what was you pack weight in 99 compared to the last few years.

Thanks i will be back out again in the fall. my first section was cut short by a companion that had a knee injury this year. we only got in 4 days from springer but i want to fishish Ga and get into NC this year and have the goal to make it all the way.....someday.

My longest section was from Duncannon, PA to Great Barrington, MA. I think that was around 380 miles and I was out for about a month. The year I did that (2004), I lost my job in March, but got a severance payment. I was fairly irritated and just wanted to unwind by hiking. I always tried to hike in the Spring, usually April in the South and May/June as I went further north. My last section in ME, I started the first week in July. I only hiked one time per year, usually using my vacation time.

My pack weight in 1999 was 45-50 pounds (insane), and I was down to about 30 to 35 the last few years. I transitioned from hiking boots to trail running shoes over the last 3 years.

I did take off the years from 2005 to 2010 to recover financially from the job loss, and the loss of conditioning from aging from early/mid fifties to early 60's was quite noticeable. I used to be able to knock out 18-20+ mile days in my early fifties, but re-starting at 61, I was lucky to get in a 12-13 mile day. I almost always had to take a zero after 4-5 days each time I started, to let my body recover. Sectioning the trail can be a tough way to go, just because you have to go through several days of re-conditioning each year you start.

I will say that the AT is very tough on the knees, especially for someone from Florida. I am also a casual distance runner, but that only helped a little when I got in the mountains. I used hiking sticks the last 4 years which helped a little with the knees.

ScareBear
08-22-2016, 08:12
Way to stick with it! Congrats!

eabyrd1506
08-22-2016, 11:53
Congratulations. I'm just starting my learning and training hope to do the Trail once I retire.
Silly question but what makes a "Section". I plan on doing all of PA next year. Is that a section, part of 1 section, parts of 2??

Ed

jbwood5
08-22-2016, 12:02
Congratulations. I'm just starting my learning and training hope to do the Trail once I retire.
Silly question but what makes a "Section". I plan on doing all of PA next year. Is that a section, part of 1 section, parts of 2??

Ed

I'd say a section can be any part you want it to be from a generic sense. I hiked from Pearisburg to Rockfish Gap one year so that was my section of the trail that I completed. There are officially defined 'sections' in the guide books but I doubt too many people just make their yearly (or what ever interval) hike based on those exact sections. I never really paid attention to the official sections.

RockDoc
08-22-2016, 16:02
Congrats from another committed section hiker. I think section hiking is underrated.

Just spent 6 days on the PCT and saw dozens of NOBO thru hikers within 200 miles of finishing. I would not like to hike with their attitude, mostly silent and rather unhappy. Only interested in finishing (the damn thing!).

In comparison, we section people were chatty and giddy.

jbwood5
08-22-2016, 16:18
Congrats from another committed section hiker. I think section hiking is underrated.

Just spent 6 days on the PCT and saw dozens of NOBO thru hikers within 200 miles of finishing. I would not like to hike with their attitude, mostly silent and rather unhappy. Only interested in finishing (the damn thing!).

In comparison, we section people were chatty and giddy.

Maybe too many people were enthralled with the movie 'Wild' and thought they would come out with some amazing life change. :)

swisscross
08-22-2016, 16:36
Underrated? Far more impressive, to me, than a single year thru.

PacDaddy
08-22-2016, 18:39
thanks for taking time to answer my questions, you sir are an inspiration!

Patrickjd9
08-22-2016, 19:41
Congratulations! I'd just add... no need to be "finished", you can always start a second go-around. :)

Last weekend, I met a second person who is doing exactly that. Hoping my first section is done before I run i=out of years.

eabyrd1506
08-22-2016, 21:33
I'd say a section can be any part you want it to be from a generic sense. I hiked from Pearisburg to Rockfish Gap one year so that was my section of the trail that I completed. There are officially defined 'sections' in the guide books but I doubt too many people just make their yearly (or what ever interval) hike based on those exact sections. I never really paid attention to the official sections.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Perfect. My initial plans are to refine my skills by completing PA in 17 and then branch out from there.

rafe
08-22-2016, 22:23

Ed

A section is however short or long you choose. We simply use "section hiker" to distinguish ourselves from those who do the trail all in one big go, ie. thru-hikers. I did it over 17+ years in sections ranging from 13 miles to just under 700 miles. (From 1 day to about 60 days.)

I missed a few miles here and there (maybe 1 or 2% of the total) but there are sections I've done multiple times.

There are people who simply head out every year and hike some hunk of the trail for some hunk of time, without much of an overall plan for completion. They just like being on the trail for long-ish hikes.

Seatbelt
08-24-2016, 13:24
Congratulations on your hikes! I am doing the same thing in small increments but started later in life. I started in GA 2010 and am up to VA now. I'm considering jumping up to Maine to hike the tougher sections while I am still "young" and then finishing the rest later. Would this be advisable from your perspective? Seatbelt

jbwood5
08-24-2016, 13:51
Congratulations on your hikes! I am doing the same thing in small increments but started later in life. I started in GA 2010 and am up to VA now. I'm considering jumping up to Maine to hike the tougher sections while I am still "young" and then finishing the rest later. Would this be advisable from your perspective? Seatbelt

If your plan is to tackle Katahdin, start at Monson or even further south so that you meet the requirement for a long distance section hiker. I believe you have to have started 100 miles south of Baxter to eligible to stay at the Birches thru hiker site. Otherwise it is very difficult to get any place to camp within the Park unless you have made reservations way in advance. Even the Birches can fill up. I stayed at the expensive Abol Bridge campground so that I could get into the Park early to try and try to guarantee a spot at the Birches. Also, you get to borrow a day pack at the ranger station and you can leave your full backpack at the ranger station. That helps a lot on the climb.

Another advantage to starting a hundred miles or further south is that you will gain some conditioning before tackling Mt Katahdin. A few of the climbs going up that mountain are pretty strenuous for us older folks. You probably saw the video posted here a few days ago.

It may not be a bad idea to knock out some of the tougher sections while you can. I think it is a personal choice. I always had in my own mine to maintain a continuous South to North trek and not switch it around. That is just me though. :)

illabelle
08-24-2016, 14:42

That's exactly our plan. Did the Whites in July. Doing K+HMW starting this weekend. We also started in 2010, hope to finish in 2020. Saving the Mahoosucs for last, though. Don't want to hike our last mile at some nameless gravel road in Virginia. We'll have an epic finish!

Seatbelt
08-24-2016, 16:20
If your plan is to tackle Katahdin, start at Monson or even further south so that you meet the requirement for a long distance section hiker. I believe you have to have started 100 miles south of Baxter to eligible to stay at the Birches thru hiker site. Otherwise it is very difficult to get any place to camp within the Park unless you have made reservations way in advance. Even the Birches can fill up. I stayed at the expensive Abol Bridge campground so that I could get into the Park early to try and try to guarantee a spot at the Birches. Also, you get to borrow a day pack at the ranger station and you can leave your full backpack at the ranger station. That helps a lot on the climb.

Another advantage to starting a hundred miles or further south is that you will gain some conditioning before tackling Mt Katahdin. A few of the climbs going up that mountain are pretty strenuous for us older folks. You probably saw the video posted here a few days ago.

It may not be a bad idea to knock out some of the tougher sections while you can. I think it is a personal choice. I always had in my own mine to maintain a continuous South to North trek and not switch it around. That is just me though. :)
Thanks for the insight! I always thought I would just continue nobo like I have been, but after watching the video, I'm no so sure I want to try that at 70. LOL

Seatbelt
08-24-2016, 16:26
That's exactly our plan. Did the Whites in July. Doing K+HMW starting this weekend. We also started in 2010, hope to finish in 2020. Saving the Mahoosucs for last, though. Don't want to hike our last mile at some nameless gravel road in Virginia. We'll have an epic finish!
Sounds like a great idea! Good Luck!

becfoot
08-25-2016, 00:12
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!