PDA

View Full Version : NOBO vs SOBO

Limbohiker
11-29-2005, 21:24
I swore I was going to go SOBO since the guys that inspired me were SOBO, plus less people, more of a chance of lodging etc. but recently ive become saddend thinking i wont get a chance to do the dramatic finish up mount katadin....whats the thoughts? is the MT Springer finish a let down?

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2005, 21:29
What you see on the last day of your journey isn't as important as what you discover on the 180 or so days that preceded it.

I've never done a full Southbound hike, so it's not really for me to say, but I'm willing to bet the folks that have come all the way thru from Maine feel pretty damned good when they summit Springer.

Go whichever way your heart takes you, and worry about your "last day" later on. Right now, I'd spend more time getting excited about your first one.

waskelton4
11-30-2005, 11:32
I'm reading a book "Walking the Appalachian Trail" (forgot the author.. eek) and in the first half of the book I've read twice where folks were dissapointed that the hike was over and didn't want to climb Katahdin.

just $.02 of what i read.
ws

UCONNMike
11-30-2005, 14:30
Go SOBO, it's way better... Springer isn't a let down at all, its beautiful from the top, check out the pics on my website

rickb
11-30-2005, 14:50
Go SOBO, it's way better.

Well said, UCONN Mike. Glad you guys saw the light!

Blue Jay
11-30-2005, 20:14
Go SOBO, it's way better... Springer isn't a let down at all, its beautiful from the top, check out the pics on my website

Plus since Springer is so much lower than the Big K on the map. You have a lot less climbing.

hammock engineer
12-01-2005, 12:54
Go SOBO, that is the way I am planning on going. You don't have to worry about getting done by a certain date, or deal with the masses of hikers. Plus I like the fall and think that would be a great time to see the Smokeys.

blindeye
12-01-2005, 20:36
i am planning a sobo in 07, my two big deciding factors were

#1 not such a time constraint [ baxter park closes oct 15] weather etc.

#2 a more solitary hike

i am 49 yrs. old and i would be pi!!ed if i got to katahdin to late. yikes!!

a great book about going sobo is
the wild birds' song by jim coplen

great book very honest. hope this helps

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 17:48
SOBO is a much better way to thru-hike if you must

Old Hillwalker
01-31-2008, 20:42
One of my reasons for going SOBO this year is that although it is big time Black Fly season in June as it too is in my NH home, it is also prime Brookie season. I have a nice 4 piece Hardy backpack fly rod, a handful of flies, and my Bakepacker for cooking trout. I'm gonna fly cast my way though Maine. With a proper license of course:p. I'll ship my fly gear home in Andover and be on my merry way south.

MuddyBugger
01-31-2008, 21:26
Sooooo....I see someone is recycling threads again? But actually I'm glad this one is coming back.

I've fought with myslelf over this one for about the last year or so and ultimately for the same reason. Katahdin just seems like the type of place to put the icing on one hell of a cake. One last serious challenge after 2,170 miles of challenge.

As of now I'm "planning" on a possible SOBO in '09 for a multitude of reasons. But mostly because I, probably like most here, absolutely love autumn. When I die I hope that in Heaven it is October 27 everyday....maybe 58 and sunny with a light cool breeze and the nights are in the mid 40's crisp and clear with every star overhead shining down upon me...ahhhhhhh....Oh sorry I was day dreaming, anyway. I think for me it would be spectacular to follow autumn south and have it last as long as possible.

I would like to hear from some SOBO about that...my guess is that most didn't even think about Katahdin when thet saw that bronze plaque set upon the stone.

Anyway....I think that if you make it to either end and start at either beginning, piece by piece or one long walk, you should consider yourself a blessed individual.

Blissful
01-31-2008, 21:45
Where's Marta? She could tell you what it was like to finish at Springer. No matter, Springer or Katahdin, it's still great. The AT is great. A real challenge but great.

rafe
01-31-2008, 21:58
SOBO is a quieter, lonelier trek. You need to know your stuff from the get-go. I'm not one to comment on the quality of the "ending" -- AT "endings" don't get any more subdued than mine.

CrumbSnatcher
01-31-2008, 23:02
NOBO VS. SOBO will this be on the U.F.C. fight card on pay per veiw im watching this week end. should be for 50 bucks...

quasarr
01-31-2008, 23:26
My schedule is making the decision for me ... graduating in May and I'm no speedster so it's SOBO I go!

But I'm worried about breaking in on the toughest state. And I like having other hikers to hang out with, even if it's crowded.

warraghiyagey
01-31-2008, 23:30
Go SOBO girl. Katahdin will be there if you want to climb her again. In the meantime the trail that unfurls to your south will likely sate your thirsts, and Katahdin is excellent fuel for your tank at the start of your hike!!
:welcome:welcome
SOBO8

woodsy
01-31-2008, 23:34
My schedule is making the decision for me ... graduating in May and I'm no speedster so it's SOBO I go!

But I'm worried about breaking in on the toughest state. And I like having other hikers to hang out with, even if it's crowded.

Listen to Warraghiyagy, he knows all about SOBOing.....He's a career SOBO starter:p:):rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-31-2008, 23:45
Where's Marta? She could tell you what it was like to finish at Springer. No matter, Springer or Katahdin, it's still great. The AT is great. A real challenge but great.

i can tell you what it's like to finish at springer :(

MuddyBugger
01-31-2008, 23:46
I don't think this needs turn into a "price of a thru hike" type thread.....at least I hope not. Boy, that was at least a 2 bags of chips event!!

Rather, a sharing of personal experience for those looking for some insight. To better make a very important decision regarding their desired future......burning desire for some of us :)

CaseyB
01-31-2008, 23:48
Heah, SOBO sucks, the Mtn's not as high. Your view at the end is an encapsulated version of your entire hike....no view, ****ty hike. This also applies to NOBO finishes on bad weather days.:cool:

warraghiyagey
01-31-2008, 23:56
Listen to Warraghiyagy, he knows all about SOBOing.....He's a career SOBO starter:p:):rolleyes:
Shut up.
By the way, see ya in Maine in June.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/fire.gif

clured
01-31-2008, 23:56
Yea, I dunno. I definately understand the argument for SOBO - I always prefer hiking alone to groups, etc. - but there's something kind of sublime about the build-up as you move up the map on a NOBO. For me at least the finish on K was really important; those 3-4 days leading up to it, watching it get closer, were maybe the most beautiful and powerful of my life. While the finish isn't everything, I suspect that when I think back on the hike in 20 years, that's what I'll remember.

Also, it would be kind of a bummer to go through all of the prettiest scenery in the first 25% of the trail. While the mid-atlantic and south are nice, they kind of pale in comparison to ME/NH, and it seems like it would be kind of let down when you realize that it really is just kind of a long green tunnel from Hanover to Springer.

quasarr
02-01-2008, 00:24
Go SOBO girl. Katahdin will be there if you want to climb her again. In the meantime the trail that unfurls to your south will likely sate your thirsts, and Katahdin is excellent fuel for your tank at the start of your hike!!

It will be exciting to climb Katahdin on the very first day!!! A great way to get pumped up for the remaining 2200 or so miles :sun

And Springer is shorter so it's all downhill from there ... right? ;)

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 00:36
It will be exciting to climb Katahdin on the very first day!!! A great way to get pumped up for the remaining 2200 or so miles :sun

And Springer is shorter so it's all downhill from there ... right? ;)
;) Exactly!!
When are you planning to start??

rafe
02-01-2008, 01:00
i can tell you what it's like to finish at springer :(

Yeah but you've already told us several times over that Katahdin sucks, so I guess you're SOL either way. :D

MuddyBugger
02-01-2008, 01:06
Also, it would be kind of a bummer to go through all of the prettiest scenery in the first 25% of the trail. While the mid-atlantic and south are nice, they kind of pale in comparison to ME/NH, and it seems like it would be kind of let down when you realize that it really is just kind of a long green tunnel from Hanover to Springer.

I'm guessing that's the way it is heading north in the spring but as I said...in autumn green isn't really a primary color. That's the primary reason. ;)

quasarr
02-01-2008, 01:15
;) Exactly!!
When are you planning to start??

Start date is flexible, any time in June or July. I'm leaning more towards July so I can work full time and save up for trail expenses - the more adult beverages I can afford, the better!! :)

RITBlake
02-01-2008, 01:16

:) The South isn't exactly a green tunnel for SOBOs. We were some of the very first SOBO's of the season and things had already changed dramatically as we made are through VA and in to TN/NC

Entering the smokies, not exactly a 'green' tunnel :)
http://maine2georgia.com/TENNNC/slides/PA250462.JPG

In TN
http://www.maine2georgia.com/TENNNC/slides/PA210437.JPG

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 04:56
Start date is flexible, any time in June or July. I'm leaning more towards July so I can work full time and save up for trail expenses - the more adult beverages I can afford, the better!! :)

You'll likely be in good company around that time. Two years ago I left on June 28 and by June 29th had met three life-long friends. One of who will SOBO-ing with me June 1st.:sun
Have a great hike!!

woodsy
02-01-2008, 08:17
woodsy; Listen to Warraghiyagy, he knows all about SOBOing.....He's a career SOBO starter:p:):rolleyes:

warraghiyagey;Shut up.:eek: Keep it up you and you can become a registered Maine Guide making money on those SOBO trips, if you don't mind babysitting adults that is.

By the way, see ya in Maine in June.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/fire.gif
What?:confused: No death defying winter hiking trip?:eek:
Oh well , I'll just have to go it alone:(

quasarr
02-01-2008, 10:52
Have a great hike!!

thanks!!! you too! :)

warraghiyagey
02-01-2008, 11:03
:eek: Keep it up you and you can become a registered Maine Guide making money on those SOBO trips, if you don't mind babysitting adults that is.

What?:confused: No death defying winter hiking trip?:eek:
Oh well , I'll just have to go it alone:(
Hmmm, make money AND SOBO. . . Hmmmm.:-?
Oops, got ahead of myself last night, still looking forward to a weekend in the colds of Maine.:sun

Marta
02-03-2008, 00:56

I've been in a hotel in Dallas for the past couple of days, overeating, drinking plenty, and talking about business. It was fun. Seriously.

Reaching Springer is fantastic. Right, Lone Wolf?

Site ('06 SOBO) made a cool DVD called "The Last Mile." He videoed himself walking the last mile to the Springer summit, and intercut video from the rest of his hike. The video moved me almost to tears.

Springer anticlimactic? Not at all.

warraghiyagey
02-03-2008, 01:07
Is that video available??:)

JAK
02-03-2008, 01:13

Shut up.

Now that might be something I can do.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/fire.gif

Marta
02-03-2008, 07:58
Is that video available??:)

I'll need to contact Site and see if he'd mind if I made a copy for you.

Did you meet him in '06? He got ahead of me in the Mahoosics. Did he catch up with the Mobsters?

Lone Wolf
02-03-2008, 11:30
I've been in a hotel in Dallas for the past couple of days, overeating, drinking plenty, and talking about business. It was fun. Seriously.

Reaching Springer is fantastic. Right, Lone Wolf?

Site ('06 SOBO) made a cool DVD called "The Last Mile." He videoed himself walking the last mile to the Springer summit, and intercut video from the rest of his hike. The video moved me almost to tears.

Springer anticlimactic? Not at all.

correct. got there 2 days before thanksgiving in 98. was a great feeling

warraghiyagey
02-04-2008, 02:08
I'll need to contact Site and see if he'd mind if I made a copy for you.

Did you meet him in '06? He got ahead of me in the Mahoosics. Did he catch up with the Mobsters?
I don't remember him catching up with us. I got off the trail in Dalton that year. I'd like to see the film he made thought. Sounds very interesting.

warraghiyagey
02-04-2008, 02:41
Now that might be something I can do.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/fire.gif
Noted.:)

wgw5000
02-04-2008, 14:28
I am attempting an '08 SOBO, prolly starting in mid june.... What really worries me as opposed to not finishing on katahdin is the number of other people. I'm not particuarly anti-social and I really enjoy the company of other people. Are there a lot of alone nights on a SOBO would be my question?

hammock engineer
02-04-2008, 14:48
I am attempting an '08 SOBO, prolly starting in mid june.... What really worries me as opposed to not finishing on katahdin is the number of other people. I'm not particuarly anti-social and I really enjoy the company of other people. Are there a lot of alone nights on a SOBO would be my question?

I spent probibly a month or so worth of nights alone. After I got used to it I enjoyed the nights alone. Other people I hiked with only spent a night or 2 alone. I pasted up some hiking partners because they wanted to hike faster than me. There was a group of 12 or so a few days in front. I cold have caught up if I wanted to.

My advice if you want a partner or group is to form it by VT at the latest. Depending on when you start, you can get pretty spread out by then.

rafe
02-04-2008, 14:52

"Yes and no." The SOBO crowd is small to begin with, and is subject to "thinning" over time just like the NOBO crowd.

Even so, you'll have company on weekends at least until early fall. The White Mtns. are ever-popular so you'll have company there.

I hiked SOBO this summer starting in eastern PA on August 11. I'm guessing I was maybe 2-3 weeks ahead of (ie. south of) the faster SOBO thrus. I had shelters to myself most nights. IOW: yes, it was a bit lonely at times. Fortunately I had my cell phone, for a short chat with my wife most nights.

AT-HITMAN2005
02-04-2008, 15:13
nobo you can either spend the night with other people or camp a lone.

sobo you don't really have that option.

for me katahdin was a big deal. its just individual preference really. and there are very few people who can comment on going both directions. i am not one of them. so i won't even try. seems to me like the way things are going sobo will be just as popular before long.