PDA

View Full Version : Watches Out There?

Googan
09-13-2015, 00:00
I'm in the market for a watch that might be useful for hiking.

Leanthree
09-13-2015, 02:37
Just get the Timex Ironman and move along. By far the best in its class.

Vegan Packer
09-13-2015, 03:32
I bought a LaCrosse XG-55 (https://lacrossetechnology.com/xg55/index.php). I find that the altimeter is particularly useful, and has proven to be very accurate on my hikes. No GPS, but most watches that have GPS have to be recharged so frequently that I don't find them to be useful. This takes the 2032 batteries (coin style), and my current set has been in there for months. It also has a compass feature.

gregpphoto
09-13-2015, 03:38
This is all you need, or something like it. Anything more is frivolous at best. I have had one, exactly one, for about 8 years, never replaced the battery, on my second band but watch itself is a beaut!

Another Kevin
09-13-2015, 06:57
I have a Casio SGW-400H (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-SGW400H-1B-Sport-Multi-Function-Grey-Dial/dp/B004KK63UC) that I really like. The altimeter is reasonably accurate (obviously, you have to set it when you come to a known elevation because barometric pressure changes with the weather). Having the altimeter saves my smartphone battery from obsessive progress checks. If I'm on a trail, or following a handrail feature (a ridge, stream, or other linear feature on the map), I can check my position simply by looking at my wrist for the altitude and finding where the trail or handrail crosses that contour, without needing to spend battery on lighting up my phone display and rendering the map. Moreover, as long as I know what mountain I'm on, I can get a decently accurate position estimate even in moderate whiteout by using altitude and aspect of slope. I don't need to cross-sight on distant objects to do that.

The last time I was looking, this watch was the cheapest one I'd found that had an adjustable altimeter.

bigcranky
09-13-2015, 08:36
The only time I ever wear a watch is while hiking - it's surprisingly useful. I just have a cheap Timex and wear it on a Velcro band with one of those tiny compasses attached.

MuddyWaters
09-13-2015, 08:47
Only feature i need in a watch is to be water resist and actually be able to read in dark. My daily watch i cant well, but cheap timex digital can. Mostly to know how long till daylight when wake up in night.

nsherry61
09-13-2015, 09:07
. . . I just have a cheap Timex and wear it on a Velcro band with one of those tiny compasses attached.
What are you? My clone? I carry exactly the same thing.

My watch requirements:

cheap - it's not jewelry out there, for me anyway and I don't want to advertise my tremendous wealth. ;)
light - cuz I'm old and cranky and I get more mileage out of my body with less weight
backlight - sometimes I want to know what time it is at night without having to hunt down a flashlight or bother my bunkmate with a light
large display numbers - cuz I'm old and can't see small numbers without glasses
alarm - on rare occasions I still climb mountains and need help waking up for those ungodly early starts
no battery hogging features like gps or electric compass

I'm not opposed to a good altimeter watch, just haven't needed one enough to pay for it or carry it.

Odd Man Out
09-13-2015, 09:14
Love the time idiglo watches. They also double as a mini flashlight in the middle of the night. I prefer analog watches with a dial and ones that are small and simple. Most men's watches are ginormous and ugly. The one feature I might like in a digital watch is the timer or stopwatch for navigation.

Slo-go'en
09-13-2015, 10:46
The cheapest one you can find, though most people just use their smart phones these days.

Fredt4
09-13-2015, 11:23
I like casio. Don't have the solar but it's perfect.
http://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/725910?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1

daddytwosticks
09-13-2015, 11:45
I don't wear a wrist watch when I hike. A wrist watch interferes with my trekking pole straps. I got a cheap watch with an attached carabiener on it's end off the internet. It attaches to the shoulder strap of my pack. A watch is a great piece of gear to use while hiking. Great tool to keep track of distance travelled. :)

bigcranky
09-13-2015, 15:54
What are you? My clone? I carry exactly the same thing.

My watch requirements:

cheap - it's not jewelry out there, for me anyway and I don't want to advertise my tremendous wealth. ;)
light - cuz I'm old and cranky and I get more mileage out of my body with less weight
backlight - sometimes I want to know what time it is at night without having to hunt down a flashlight or bother my bunkmate with a light
alarm - on rare occasions I still climb mountains and need help waking up for those ungodly early starts

I think the word you want is "doppelganger." :) And your list is exactly on point. Big numbers are a huge plus, 'cause I hate trying to dig out my glasses in the middle of the night.

I actually know somebody in Elgin, IL. We were there for a week a couple of summers ago.

Sarcasm the elf
09-13-2015, 16:02
I use a Casio that has an altimeter which I picked up on amazon for about $50. It has a rubber watchband which was a big plus for me, as I've owned several that had leather or nylon (webbing) bands and they get very nasty very fast when worn outdoors.

Personally I had bad luck with Timex Ironman watches, I've owned 3-4 of them over the years. A couple that I bought had convex plastic cover plates, which got scratched up very quickly, most had the above-mentioned nylon watchbands and another simply fell off my wrist somewhere. Clearly others have had much better experiences that I have with that line, but I've had a better experience with Casio.

fastfoxengineering
09-13-2015, 20:03
I use timex watches when out on the trail. Digital or analog. Needs to be waterproof and have indiglo. The only other feature I have ever found useful is an alarm.

Altimeter would be cool, I feel I'd actually use it.

My last hiking watch was a timex atlantis. great watch for my purposes. I did break it though after a year of hard abuse.

Maui Rhino
09-13-2015, 20:12
I've been wearing a Casio Pathfinder PAG-80 for about 7 or 8 years now. I love, love, love the altimeter feature! The compass and barometer are also handy at times. Mine is also solar. I paid around $200 when I bought it, but don't know what they go for now.

squeezebox
09-13-2015, 20:50
I bought a watch with a heart rate monitor for $15 normally $50. Heart rate is a nice feature to tell if you are just normal tired or seriously whiped out.
Elevated HR in the morning might call for a slower day.

Ksbcrocks
09-13-2015, 22:07
I use the casio f-91w. It doesn't weigh much of anything so you hardly feel it on your wrist. It does everything I need.

Feral Bill
09-13-2015, 22:31
I have a nice solar Seiko I wear for all occasions. I use a nylon band that threads through the pins, so a lost pin does not mean a lost watch. The idea came from Colin Fletcher. The idea for the band, that is.

MkBibble
09-14-2015, 00:53
Not a wrist watch fan. Years ago I bought a cheap watch with an alarm and thermometer that I clip into my pack.

garlic08
09-14-2015, 08:01
I'm like Big Cranky--the only time I wear a watch is while hiking, though I seldom care about the time of day (until it's resupply day). I use it for navigation way more often than a compass and map, at least when I hike with a data book. I use AquaMira and a stopwatch or timer function is important. I use a cheap Casio, less than $20.

jimmyjam
09-14-2015, 08:27
$7 dollar wallyworld watch is all I need.

slbirdnerd
09-14-2015, 08:53
I recently got a Suunto Vector on sale on Amazon for $135. Watch, compass, altimeter, barometer. Very useful.

Colter
09-14-2015, 09:34

I'm not opposed to a good altimeter watch, just haven't needed one enough to pay for it or carry it.

This is along my line of thinking. One feature that is must for me is day/date. On long hikes it can be easy to lose track of what day it is and that can be mighty important for Post Offices, meeting your ride, etc.

tiptoe
09-14-2015, 10:45
A cheap Timex works for me, too. On and off the trail.

Grinder
09-14-2015, 11:11
I bought the cheapest watch walmart sold 8 years ago and used it til the batteries went dead. Bought another one this spring, exact same model still being sold and cost around $8

atraildreamer
09-14-2015, 17:37
... I got a cheap watch with an attached carabiener on it's end off the internet. It attaches to the shoulder strap of my pack. ... :)

I have seen them at the Dollar Tree store.

TexasBob
10-10-2015, 10:38
This is all you need, or something like it. Anything more is frivolous at best. I have had one, exactly one, for about 8 years, never replaced the battery, on my second band but watch itself is a beaut!

My favorite also. Cheap, has a backlight, tough as nails.

geezin'
10-10-2015, 11:33
Don't like battery dependent items in the woods. Wear a Seiko Orange Monster. Waterproof,reasonably accurate and bombproof as anything mechanical gets. Glows in the dark for hours. Paid $208 US for mine.

http://watchbrandsshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Seiko-Orange-Monster-Auto-Mechanical-Diver-200m-SKX781K1-42mm.jpg

colorado_rob
10-10-2015, 15:37
I have a Casio SGW-400H (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-SGW400H-1B-Sport-Multi-Function-Grey-Dial/dp/B004KK63UC) that I really like. The altimeter is reasonably accurate (obviously, you have to set it when you come to a known elevation because barometric pressure changes with the weather). Having the altimeter saves my smartphone battery from obsessive progress checks. If I'm on a trail, or following a handrail feature (a ridge, stream, or other linear feature on the map), I can check my position simply by looking at my wrist for the altitude and finding where the trail or handrail crosses that contour, without needing to spend battery on lighting up my phone display and rendering the map. Moreover, as long as I know what mountain I'm on, I can get a decently accurate position estimate even in moderate whiteout by using altitude and aspect of slope. I don't need to cross-sight on distant objects to do that.

The last time I was looking, this watch was the cheapest one I'd found that had an adjustable altimeter.+1 on this little gem, very useful for knowing where you are as long as you calibrate it at least sometime during the day.

It's also useful as a weather prediction indicator; note the altitude when you arrive at a camp, then check it in the morning... if the altitude when down significantly (like >100' or so), that's good news (high pressure moved in). If the altitude goes up significantly, a low pressure cell moved in. Fantastic info to know.

Not only is this the cheapest altimeter watch out there (I think as well), but it seems to be more accurate than my much more expensive Suunto Vector. I no longer use the suunto, only the Casio.

rickb
10-11-2015, 08:20
+1 on this little gem, very useful for knowing where you are as long as you calibrate it at least sometime during the day..

I had a couple of those and they worked great-- first one died and I gave the second one away after the strap wore out because I wanted something fancy.

I replaced it with a Suunto 0bserver 10 years ago, and it is still going strong. The Casio was easier to use and much lighter-- though after a while I stopped noticing.

Replacing the cracked propietery Casio band (seems like once every year or two) has cost me a small fortune-- they used to gouge for the bands but Amazon has them for under $20 now.

If the watch ever dies, I will probably go back to that Casio.

Traveler
10-11-2015, 08:29
Watches.... feh! A good outdoors person can simply look knowingly off to the horizon to tell the correct time, day, and date.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M834c3c17c10c7efb8d3ada54bd668885o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=242&h=175

rickb
10-11-2015, 08:33
Yup.

Or by how hungry you are.

:)

Hummy585
10-11-2015, 14:28
I guess one should start with what info/data do you need on your hike. I usually have a smart phone (iPhone 6 Jumbo), a GPSR (Garmin eTrex 25 Touch) and I always wear a Traser Tritium lit watch. I haven't had the need for anything else yet...

Pedaling Fool
12-10-2015, 09:22
I just bought a Garmin Forerunner 10, one of the cheapest GPS watches on the market, but I'm just getting my feet wet, so I kept it simple. It's listed here for 130 bucks, but I got it for 75 and you probably could get it cheaper... https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/forerunner-10/prod107143.html

This would be a fun little device to take on a hike, but not practical at all, since you have to charge the battery thru your computer and the battery only lasts ~5 hours in GPS mode. However, it's good for running/cycling. And when I'm done I can plug it up and download my stats, that's pretty cool.

The obvious question in my mind was how accurate it is; I'm still in the playing-around-with-it mode, but so far I'm fairly impressed with its accuracy. I've checked it on multiple courses where I've both measured with my bike, backed up with a route-measuring program on a running website (my bike computer and that program are very close in measurements, sometimes dead on). The GPS unit is usually within 0.05-0.1 mile off, either short or long. I haven't checked it in elevation yet, but plan on doing that in the near future.

Here's an interesting story on why many devices measure long, but it also addresses short measurements. They don't mention which devices that they tested, but I've never seen a 10% error as they found, they do admit it's very cheap device, but my device is pretty cheap...:-?

http://www.runnersworld.com/gps-watches/why-your-gps-watch-is-probably-overestimating-your-mileage?cid=soc_Runner%27s%20World%20-%20RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__N ews_RunningGear

Pedaling Fool
12-10-2015, 09:34
I bought a watch with a heart rate monitor for $15 normally $50. Heart rate is a nice feature to tell if you are just normal tired or seriously whiped out.
Elevated HR in the morning might call for a slower day.Be careful with H/R monitors, some can be very inaccurate. I do believe the most accurate are either ones that measure HR via the finger tip or the old fashion chest strap. There are a lot of watches out there that use optical-sensing technology thru the wrist and while this sound nice, because who wants to wear a strap they can be very inaccurate. See here, there's a cool video on the link of them doing tests with an EKG machine.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

Excerpt:

To accomplish these readings, optical sensing requires you to hold absolutely still -- no talking, no moving, no muscle-tensing, no sweating, no smudging allowed. Thankfully, these devices will tell you when you're too active for them to work. (Three of the devices we tested flashed warnings to enforce peace and quiet during testing.)

There's another complication, too. By the time blood reaches the capillaries in your wrist, it has already slowed down to a rate that doesn't necessarily reflect your true heart rate -- especially, as Dr. Zaroff explained, at BPMs above 100. (Interestingly, and as we found in our tests, the arterial vessels in our fingertips do accurately reflect our heart rate, even at very high BPMs.)

cmoulder
12-10-2015, 10:21
Casio Pathfinder with solar module, such as PAG240T-7CR

paule
12-10-2015, 11:08
Times expedition

paule
12-10-2015, 11:09
timex expedition

nsherry61
12-10-2015, 12:54
Well, I broke down and bought an altimeter watch this week.
I chose a Casio ProTrek ($180), which seems to be the next generation with 1m altimeter resolution instead of 3m like the older Pathfinders.
I decided that with moving to New England and planning on a fair bit of winter, above tree-line hiking/climbing it would be a good navigation tool to have so I don't have to keep pulling out my cell phone, and I have backup, if I need to do altimeter based navigation.

So far it's been fun seeing how high the second floor of my house is compared to the first floor or the driveway. ;-)
The watch is actually quite intuitive and easy to use with big glove friendly buttons.

DavidNH
12-10-2015, 12:57
I suggest the Timex Expedition watch. About 50 bucks. best watch I've ever had. Keeps time without fail, water resistant, velcro wrist band.

Connie
12-10-2015, 14:45
+1

I have a Timex Expedition watch. I have the one with a tan watch face, calendar date, Indiglo (press the winder stem to illuminate) and it is a manual wind up watch. (I never could replace the battery properly.)

It had a plastic watchband, I replaced with a velcro "The Band" brand watchband that cost almost as much as this wristwatch.

Kookork
12-10-2015, 20:57
I bought a SUUNTO Ambit 2. I trusted outdoorgearlab for their review about it( they have never dissapointed me with their review). GPS,altimeter,barometer ,compass and myriad of features( plus heart monitor) but I was hesitant because of the high price. So when I found it for 185 dollars I pulled the trigger.

GPS feature can work for 50 hours straight and since I am carrying battery power bank and solar charger then recharging it should not be a difficult chore. ( with my 5200 mAh power bank I can charge the watch around 7 times).

tflaris
12-11-2015, 00:04
Fennix 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanderingventurer
12-28-2015, 18:28
Like many, I don't wear a watch daily but I like having one when I am hiking. Between sweating a lot and having the band interfering with the wrist strap on my poles, I like watches on caribeaners. If I'm going to carry the weight, having a compus and altimeter built-in makes the watch more multifunctional. The only watch that I've found that meets all of the above was the HiGear AltiTec 2 and its cousins the 1 and 3. Unfortunately, I loaned mine out and it was broken beyond repair; and HiGear has "gone hiking"!

Does anyone know of a similar caribeaner watch that is currently available on the market?

Puddlefish
12-28-2015, 19:13
Like many, I don't wear a watch daily but I like having one when I am hiking. Between sweating a lot and having the band interfering with the wrist strap on my poles, I like watches on caribeaners. If I'm going to carry the weight, having a compus and altimeter built-in makes the watch more multifunctional. The only watch that I've found that meets all of the above was the HiGear AltiTec 2 and its cousins the 1 and 3. Unfortunately, I loaned mine out and it was broken beyond repair; and HiGear has "gone hiking"!

Does anyone know of a similar caribeaner watch that is currently available on the market?

I don't wear watches on my wrist either. My current plan is to buy a watch, throw away the band, and mount it to a trekking pole. My poles have a bonus foam grip below the main grip. Since I don't use that extended grip, I'll just carve a watch shaped notch in the foam, and "sew" the watch to the pole, whipping the thread ends together with a drop of epoxy. By mounting the watch face upside down, I'll have a handy "wall clock" for my tent as well, since I use it as an internal tent pole as well.

It's all experimental at this point, I figure it will be a repetitive shock test for the watch. This may end up being a terrible idea.

Amazon has a pile of carabiner watchers, a few with altimeters and compasses. Few have any kind of decent reviews, so you'd be taking your chances.

Pedaling Fool
01-10-2016, 09:00
Be careful with H/R monitors, some can be very inaccurate. I do believe the most accurate are either ones that measure HR via the finger tip or the old fashion chest strap. There are a lot of watches out there that use optical-sensing technology thru the wrist and while this sound nice, because who wants to wear a strap they can be very inaccurate. See here, there's a cool video on the link of them doing tests with an EKG machine.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

Excerpt:

To accomplish these readings, optical sensing requires you to hold absolutely still -- no talking, no moving, no muscle-tensing, no sweating, no smudging allowed. Thankfully, these devices will tell you when you're too active for them to work. (Three of the devices we tested flashed warnings to enforce peace and quiet during testing.)

There's another complication, too. By the time blood reaches the capillaries in your wrist, it has already slowed down to a rate that doesn't necessarily reflect your true heart rate -- especially, as Dr. Zaroff explained, at BPMs above 100. (Interestingly, and as we found in our tests, the arterial vessels in our fingertips do accurately reflect our heart rate, even at very high BPMs.)

Kind of a funny story, but I don't believe they have a case, seems like there would be a disclaimer that will protect the company. However, this issue of using LED lights to detect HR is not new; I've heard tons of people that are not satisfied with their activity watch (Fitbit or otherwise -- that use this LED light technology), because they either don't detect or don't accurately display HR.

BOTTOM LINE: You need to wear a chest strap if you want to monitor H/R.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/lawsuit-claims-fitbit-devices-dangerously-underestimate-heart-rate/

Title: Lawsuit claims Fitbit devices dangerously underestimate heart rate

With some Fitbit devices, every beat may not get counted, according to claims in a proposed nationwide class action lawsuit (https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2675603-1-Main.html) filed Tuesday.Three plaintiffs claim that their Fitbit wrist-based heart monitors, “Charge HR (https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr)” and “Surge (https://www.fitbit.com/surge),” do not and cannot accurately measure heart rate as advertised. Those sales pitches claim that both products, which are sold for around $150 and $250, respectively, can continuously and accurately monitor heart rate, even during exercise (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdHMyvkJxw)—under tag lines such as “every beat counts.” But the lawsuit claims that the heart rate monitors, which tout “PurePulse Tracker” technology, seem particularly incapable of accurately measuring elevated heart rates, often reading dangerously underestimated rates during workouts.

In the lawsuit, plaintiff Teresa Black, of Colorado, claimed that her Charge HR device was off by 78 beats per minute (bpm) during one workout. Her personal trainer recorded her heart rate at 160 bpm, while her Fitbit read 82 bpm. “Plaintiff Black was approaching the maximum recommended heart rate for her age, and if she had continued to rely on her inaccurate PurePulse Tracker, she may well have exceeded it, thereby jeopardizing her health and safety,” the lawsuit stated.

Another plaintiff, David Urban, of Wisconsin, reported similar problems with his Surge device. Compared to readings from a chest strap-based triathlon monitor, Urban claimed that the Surge consistently under-reported his heart rate by 15-25 bpm as he was exercising and never displayed a reading above 125 bpm. Due to a family history of heart disease, Urban reported buying the device to ensure his heart rate didn’t exceed 160 bpm, as recommended by his doctor.