PDA

View Full Version : Dry Milk to Cereal Ratio

OhioHiker
09-13-2015, 10:09
Ive been thinking about making premade cereal and dry milk in ziplock baggies. The thought is just add water and pow... breakfast...

Ive never really used dry milk for much more than cooking. What ratio would be a good starting point? 1cup cereal to 1 cup dry milk?

squeezebox
09-13-2015, 10:23
I used 1 part milk to 4 part cereal. Note the milk burns if heated. I cooked my reg. oatmeal the dumped the Nido on top along with whatever else.

RangerZ
09-13-2015, 10:45
I use a cup of Cheerios and a cup of NIDO. I package the Cheerios in a snack size ziplock and a quarter cup of NIDO and raisins in a pint sized bag. I pour the water into the pint sized bag then add the Cheerios. I just can’t mix the Cheerios and NIDO together dry then pour water onto the Cheerios.

tiptoe
09-13-2015, 12:31
My trail breakfast is generally 3/4 cup of souped-up muesli and 1/4 cup of dried milk, to which I add water (I don't measure) at mealtime. But I'm an ancient female hiker who weighs in the 120-125 lb. range. and I usually lose some weight on long hikes. Depending on your age, weight, and appetite, you might want a heftier mix.

Maui Rhino
09-13-2015, 15:42
I went with a ratio of 2cups cereal to 1.5 cups (12oz) milk for a recent 5day trip, but I'm a big eater, and I wasn't hiking distances. I put them in a zip lock, and added water before eating. It worked great for a quick and easy mean with no clean-up.

Heliotrope
09-13-2015, 22:16
I like to use a pint size plastic gelato container. I fill with about 1 C granola plus handful of walnuts and whole milk powder to make 1 C milk. Then I cover the lid and hike until I warm up and get hungry. Then I add water and either hike and eat or sit and enjoy the scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJdreamer
09-14-2015, 21:18
I like to mix my milk first too . I keep them separate, and sometimes just use the plastic bag to save weight. For a good hot breakfast or dessert, try chopped dry apples, cinnamon, and milk, plus cereal. I usually take one third cup dry milk to make one cup, plus a cup of cereal and granola.

Heliotrope
09-14-2015, 21:45
I like to mix my milk first too . I keep them separate, and sometimes just use the plastic bag to save weight. For a good hot breakfast or dessert, try chopped dry apples, cinnamon, and milk, plus cereal. I usually take one third cup dry milk to make one cup, plus a cup of cereal and granola.

Sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioHiker
09-14-2015, 22:05
I experimented a little this evening in the kitchen.

I mixed 1C cereal with 1C dry milk in a big plastic gas station fountain drink type cup... The dry milk box said 1C water to 1/3C powder. Lol.

Anyhow I used 1 1/2C water. It turned out ok. I don't think I'll be packing it as a main meal. I'll stick to oat meal or something.

I might still pack some dry milk as coffee creamer or a dash into oatmeal

CarlZ993
09-14-2015, 22:31
I would mix 1/4C Nido powdered mile in my 'I can't believe it's not butter' container (w/ lid) w/ one cup of water. Shake it up. Pour in my ~1C of granola. Maybe add some extra raisins/craisins/ or nuts & eat. The butter container fits nicely in my 0.9L Evernew pot along w/ my stove & condiments.

bigcranky
09-15-2015, 06:37
We eat granola on the trail like this almost every day in warm weather. Here's my lovely wife Dragonfly's granola recipe and serving suggestions. (http://www.trailcooking.com/breakfast/nora-anns-homemade-granola/)

jtm109
10-29-2015, 19:49
I started with a 1:1 ratio and found it was way too much milk. I now always go with half the milk to that of the cereal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
10-29-2015, 20:36
Carry ziplock of milk pow , add as needed. 1/4 cup milk pow to 3-4 oz granola works for me. Milk pow goes good in macncheese and pasta sides.

Rolex
10-29-2015, 20:53
I would mix 1/4C Nido powdered mile in my 'I can't believe it's not butter' container (w/ lid) w/ one cup of water. Shake it up. Pour in my ~1C of granola. Maybe add some extra raisins/craisins/ or nuts & eat. The butter container fits nicely in my 0.9L Evernew pot along w/ my stove & condiments.

Exactly the same for me but I don't have the "can't believe it's not butter" container and use my snow peak mug.

donthaveoneyet
10-29-2015, 20:59
Wow, amazed at the ratios. I do this almost every weekday morning as my regular breakfast (and also carry it hiking). I use any of several plastic screwtop containers (like these - http://ziploc.com/en/products/containers/round/containers-twist-loc-small). I mix the powder in with Post Grape Nuts (usually), put the lid on, carry it with me, add water when ready to eat, screw the lid on and shake to mix. I don't really bother to measure it, but one of the carnation dried milk packets gets me about 4 breakfasts, and the cereal is usually up around the one cup mark on the two cup container. I guess it's 5:1 ratio. Milk comes out pretty "skim", but it works well. Matter of personal taste.

scrabbler
10-29-2015, 22:27
I think there's a lot of variability in the ratio of milk to cereal. That said, at my house, a regular sized bowl of cereal takes about or less 8oz of milk, which to me equates to about "3 big spoons of Nido". So I put the approx amount of cereal into a baggie, the 3 big spoons of Nido, and in the morning kind of half eye the amount of water, and call it a breakfast. Works for me.

Spirit Walker
10-30-2015, 12:36
I carry a mix of dried milk and Nido in a ziplock and just add 2 heaping T or so to my bowl of cereal in the morning, then pour water over both and mix with a spoon. I'll add the milk mix to pasta dishes as well.

trailhermit
11-12-2015, 23:44
I carry a mix of dried milk and Nido in a ziplock and just add 2 heaping T or so to my bowl of cereal in the morning, then pour water over both and mix with a spoon. I'll add the milk mix to pasta dishes as well.

Do you mix two different kinds of milk together?