PDA

View Full Version : Getting from the AT to BWI

LuckyMan
09-13-2015, 14:14
I'm going on a long section hike on the AT and hope to end it in the Harpers Ferry area in early November. I was planning to go into DC by train or walking the C&O Canal Towpath and fly home from there, but I notice that BWI often has the cheapest fares. I know I can get to BWI via the Metro green line and then a $7 bus, but I'm wondering if there is any public transit to BWI from the AT in Maryland or southernmost Pennsylvania.

Mr. Bumpy
09-13-2015, 15:05
I may be wrong, it has been years since I have been in the DC area, but I think if you look around on the MARC rail website you can find a commuter train that has a stop at BWI. It would run through DC, but it would be rather inexpensive if you could purchase it as a Harper's Ferry to BWI it would be rather economical. Alternatively, if you could get a bus from Harpers Ferry to Baltimore's train station, Penn Station, then there is a link from there to BWI.

WingedMonkey
09-13-2015, 15:07
If you time it right, you can also take Amtrak Capitol Limited from Harpers to the BWI Amtrak station with a free shuttle to the airport.

BillyGr
09-13-2015, 15:13
I may be wrong, it has been years since I have been in the DC area, but I think if you look around on the MARC rail website you can find a commuter train that has a stop at BWI. It would run through DC, but it would be rather inexpensive if you could purchase it as a Harper's Ferry to BWI it would be rather economical. Alternatively, if you could get a bus from Harpers Ferry to Baltimore's train station, Penn Station, then there is a link from there to BWI.
There definitely was such a train, as we took that from BWI into DC after visiting relatives near BWI - I'd assume it still runs but the mentioned site would tell for sure.

LuckyMan
09-13-2015, 15:38
Yes, the MARC train has a BWI stop but is more expensive than the Metro-bus route. But I wanted to know if there was any transit available from the AT in MD or PA to BWI, without going thru DC.