PDA

View Full Version : Kilts

justusryans
11-29-2005, 21:44
My wife bought me a Sports Kilt and I am very pleased. I look dead sexy with my hairy legs and knobby knees!:banana

How many other hikers out there are either kilt hikers or are planning to hike in a kilt?:D

Trooper347
11-29-2005, 21:46
I've been looking at the Utilikilt, tho they are a little expensive, but I like the design.

bfitz
11-29-2005, 22:08
My boys need a house...I wear panty hose...extra sheer....

bfitz
11-29-2005, 22:09
And the footies I cut off serve as sock liners....for a day or two...

Footslogger
11-29-2005, 22:21
I hiked about 200 miles in one during my thru in 2003. Had a raging case of the chafe on the way into Gatlinburg and the outfitter suggested a kilt. The extra ventilation was just what the doctor ordered ...

'Slogger

Cheesewhiz
11-29-2005, 23:56
I wear kilts yearround and you bet im hiking in one but not till maybe damascus.

Mr. Clean
11-30-2005, 06:15
Kilts are the ONLY way to go; I hike in mine until the snow here in the Whites reaches my, well, I don't wear them in the winter.

justusryans
11-30-2005, 10:22
Maybe I need a longer kilt? :D

Doctari
11-30-2005, 12:05
Yep, I wear one, all the time.
Have 4 for wear in non hiking situations, and 2 for hiking in. All of my kilts are homemade, can't afford a "real" kilt, and don't like the way a utilikilt looks, am thinking of getting a Sport kilt tho ( http://www.sportkilt.com/index.cfm ), but as my wife says "You already have enough kilts" I supose that can wait :D

I find I don't chafe in a kilt, & I have worn one in 100 degree weather, all day, in the sun. (Heat index was reported to be 104 deg).

Doctari.

Footslogger
11-30-2005, 12:11
I'm not a Winter kilt wearer. The extra ventilation is unecessary and unwelcome. Ironically though I hike all Winter in shorts with high gaitors. Guess it's not the legs that mind the cold ??

'Slogger

Almost There
11-30-2005, 23:49
My mountain kilt gave me no problems in heat or cold, actually sort of insulated in the cold. I love them and prefer to hike in them now over shorts or pants. In cold weather I just put a pair of running tights underneath them.

hikerjohnd
12-01-2005, 00:03
I've been thinking about a kilt, but my boys like the support underwear offers. I do have to watch for rub rash, so any improvement in ventelation is a good thing. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for the input!

Uncle Silly
12-01-2005, 00:27
be sure you get the kilt and not the skirt with the word "kilt" written on it in crayon :))

K-Man
12-01-2005, 09:49
Can anyone provide a link to a website selling utility kilts (with pockets). I like the mountain hardware one, but they aren't making them again until late march. Thanks!!

Doctari
12-01-2005, 21:20
Can anyone provide a link to a website selling utility kilts (with pockets). I like the mountain hardware one, but they aren't making them again until late march. Thanks!!

Yes, go to: http://www.utilikilt..com BTW, they are (almost all, its on the site) cotton duck. Beware of cotton.

Doctari

MorrisseyFan
12-01-2005, 21:23
The question for me is...what does one wear under a kilt on the AT?

bfitz
12-01-2005, 23:29
What would be the point of a kilt if something was worn under it?

Bjorkin
12-01-2005, 23:41
https://secure.utilikilts.com/catalog-survival-index.htm

Click on "Modesty System" on the left hand menu. :eek:

bfitz
12-01-2005, 23:53
Yeah...I clicked on the modesty system deal and looked at the photos...the guys got his kilt closed and is doing a karate kick to show how it works and you can see his underwear...(!)....which would be his uh...pouch...if he wasn't wearing skivvies!

Bjorkin
12-02-2005, 00:15
Not that I was staring or anything, but I'm pretty sure he's skivvy free. The folds of the kilt do look like it, but it looks legit to me.

SteveJ
12-02-2005, 00:47
https://secure.utilikilts.com/catalog-survival-index.htm

Click on "Modesty System" on the left hand menu. :eek:

$230.00???!!!

Damn!

Needles
12-02-2005, 02:24
Yeah...I clicked on the modesty system deal and looked at the photos...the guys got his kilt closed and is doing a karate kick to show how it works and you can see his underwear...(!)....which would be his uh...pouch...if he wasn't wearing skivvies!

I used to work for Utilikilts and was there the night we did that photo shoot, trust me, as the night wore on and more and more beers were consumed we all became fully aware of the fact that he was not wearing any underwear.

However I wouldn't recommend the Survival Kilt for hiking, it is 100% cotton. However the Spartan kilt is all polyester, is cheaper, has a free floating flap in the front to prevent unintended flashing, and after wearing every utilikilt model made (including the leather), a couple of sport kilts, and a traditional wool tartan kilt, I have to say the Spartan is by far the most comfortable kilt made and it works great for hiking, sadly it only has one back pocket though.
http://www.utilikilts.com/whatsnew-frameset-spartan.htm

justusryans
12-02-2005, 08:01

lipstick??:clap :D :jump :eek:

Doctari
12-02-2005, 08:14
What would be the point of a kilt if something was worn under it?

Exactly!!! :dance

Whenever I am asked "What is under your kilt" I say "ME!" :D

Doctari.

MorrisseyFan
12-02-2005, 08:55
That's what I was thinking. No underwear = less weight, no?

I'm so going for a kilt.

gumby
12-02-2005, 09:08
I'm planning on making one for my trekking here in Florida, and the AT in the future.

and the boys will be as free as a bird.:banana

D'Artagnan
12-02-2005, 10:31
Needles,

Thanks for the insight. Unless I'm just missing it, what's the price for the Spartan? Do I just need to call the toll-free number to find out? Thanks again.

Needles
12-02-2005, 11:00
Needles,

Thanks for the insight. Unless I'm just missing it, what's the price for the Spartan? Do I just need to call the toll-free number to find out? Thanks again.

I think it is $100, but give them a call to be certain, like I said, I used to work for them, so I don't keep all of their prices memorized anymore :p

Bjorkin
12-02-2005, 12:17
... sadly it only has one back pocket though.
http://www.utilikilts.com/whatsnew-frameset-spartan.htm

The site says there is a NEW Spartan available now with pockets plural, though not shown in the pictures.

bfitz
12-02-2005, 15:36
.....wore on and more and more beers were consumed we all became fully aware of the fact that he was not wearing any underwear.Yeah...I won't ask...:banana... but look at picture #4, is it photo-shopped ?...! I clearly see crotch!

bfitz
12-02-2005, 15:36
...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Needles
12-02-2005, 15:45
Yeah...I won't ask...:banana... but look at picture #4, is it photo-shopped ?...! I clearly see crotch!

The way the modesty system works on that kilt a flap in front of the kilt is pulled back and attached to a flap in the back of the kilt so that it does keep everything covered (if you choose to use the system, you don't have to and the kilt is more comfortable when the modesty system isn't used and you are still VERY unlikely to flash anyone, the system is mainly there for the highly paranoid) so in the pictures it may look like he is wearing something else besides the kilt, but he isn't, it is just that effective. And no photo shop work was done on those photos besides resizing, I know this because I was the one who put the photos up :D

bfitz
12-03-2005, 05:25
ok ok but i still think I see something must just be my overactive imagination, Id prefer the no modesty philosophy anyhow...

justusryans
12-03-2005, 08:47
ok ok but i still think I see something must just be my overactive imagination, Id prefer the no modesty philosophy anyhow...

bfitz, why are you looking so hard?:-? :D

Doctari
12-03-2005, 11:24
I wear a kilt frequently, I have one on now in fact. So I am so used to it I don't think of it, usually. Anyway, some tips to wearing a kilt, as best I can.

If you sit like a man, legs apart, "things" will show. Most don't want to see "things" so be aware when with people & sitting. I wore shorts the first few times in a kilt to allow for mistakes as I learned :p

A stiff breeze will expose you to, , , , , the elements.:eek: I have a kilt pin to secure the front flap closed, this helps alot. I only secure it in windy conditions.

You WILL get: stares, rude remarks, etc. If the mood strikes, adopt a obviously fake scottish broge, and say with a smile; "It's no a skirt, it's a kilt" if you want, add; "only real men can wear a kilt, I see you don't have one on!"

You will however get nice comments, specially from the ladies. Enjoy!

Practice wearing one at home, before your hike. Walk around, sit down, run, etc. Then take a walk outside, in the woods if that is an option. Get the kilt wet (in the shower?) and walk around in it to see if that is ok/comfortable. Does it stay up when wet? See if you are comfortable wearing a kilt BEFORE doing so on a hike. A Thru hike isn't a good place/time to start wearing a kilt. Or trying out (almost) any brand new piece of gear for that matter.

Does your kilt have pockets? If not, you may need/want a Sporran or belt pack. Can you wear the Sporran/belt pack with the pack on, or does it need to be carried in the pack & put on as needed (mine needs carried).

A kilt isn't for everyone. Don't feel bad if you decide it isn't for you. After all, it can be a bit trying at times to hear "hey, that man is wearing a dress/skirt!" :datz

Doctari.

bfitz
12-03-2005, 21:36
bfitz, why are you looking so hard?
It just leaps out at me....

Youngblood
12-22-2005, 10:16
Kilts aren't just for hiking, you can (try to) wear them to the prom: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Student_Kilt.html .

MadAussieInLondon
12-22-2005, 11:16
after xmas I get to order myself a new bearkilt. yay! no more sportkilt and there 'nearly one size fits all philosophy'.

Scribe
12-22-2005, 14:38
That prom thing controversy...some school administrator ordered the kilt-wearer to "put some pants on"...the student refused and was punished. Jackson, MO, is right next to Cape Girardeau and the hometown of the right-wing radio guy.

Personally, I'll stick with quick-dry trail pants.

D'Artagnan
12-22-2005, 14:55
The principal's surname was McClard. I hate to make assumptions, but doesn't that "sound" like a Scot? In any event, this guy evidently hasn't been to a major shopping mall lately. A kilt is one of the LEAST offensive things a guy can wear. :D

Mother Nature
12-22-2005, 16:47
Smokestack wore a kilt last year and loved it. The only time he thinks he had a problem was when he crossed a major highway with lots of traffic. The blast of wind from a passing semi lifted the kilt heavenward. The driver didn't toot so he guesses he didn't shock anyone. :jump

Mother Nature

betic4lyf
12-22-2005, 17:51
once i had to wear a skirt for corss country spirit (a meet), and i will tell you. i just couldnt do it. i would rather just hike in boxers than a kilt. only legitiamacy is if it in full on wool flannel. just my oppinion

i am a complete badass

Stoker53
12-22-2005, 19:34
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179464,00.html

You folks should support this young man. His right to wear a kilt is under attack.

Stoker53
12-22-2005, 19:35
Sign his petition here to support his right to wear his kilt.

http://www.petitiononline.com/kilt05/

bfitz
12-23-2005, 01:49
This is good...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html%3Fin%5Farticle%5Fid=325537%26in%5Fpage%5 Fid=1770

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_queen_scots_soldiers.htm

Cookerhiker
12-23-2005, 14:05
All right, maybe most of you know this one but I heard it for the first time last night at a Scottish music concert. This was told by the harpist.

One of the guards at Edinburgh Castle was fined and reprimanded for talking to tourists. After hearing the question so often he just had to respond, in this case to a (not surprising) American matronly tourist.

Tourist: "What is worn under the kilt?"
Answer: "Ma'm, I can assure you nothing is "worn" under the kilt; everything's in perfectly good working order!"

soccrosse
12-23-2005, 16:11
I have worn a kilt for the past couple of years while hiking and they are great. I hiked last year thru the Smokies in rain and snow and the kilt actually kept me drier than shorts since the water dripped off the kilt and to the ground rather than down my leg and into my boots. This year I hiked from Springer to Fontana. I met Skywalker during his first day out and his mother, an older gentile southern lady asked me what I had on under the kilt and when I replied nothing she was taken aback. I really didn't think it would be that much of a shocker, but she asked!!

Doctari
12-23-2005, 17:30
Sign his petition here to support his right to wear his kilt.

http://www.petitiononline.com/kilt05/

I signed!

Look see, over 10,000 signatures.

I hope McClard looses his job over this! What an A**!

Doctari.

bfitz
12-23-2005, 21:29
I signed too. They'll never take our freedom!

smokymtnsteve
12-23-2005, 21:35
Kilt , evening gown, miniskirt,,,,

he should be able to wear anything he wants to the prom and date anyone he wants to.

K0OPG
12-23-2005, 22:58
Being the father of two just recently graduated girls and another boy that is a Junior, I have to say, that I have been to many dances over the years and the girls are wearing MUCH shorter skirts that this young man's kilt. The principal is obviously an idiot and does need to apoligize.

gumby
12-24-2005, 12:28
I signed!

Look see, over 10,000 signatures.

I hope McClard looses his job over this! What an A**!

Doctari.

I signed also, my comments said, "Let the boys free, wear a Kilt".

gumby

cavscout
03-30-2008, 02:23
Digging through the old threads to find out who all the kilted hikers are and glad to see so many. Good on ya!

In the several threads I've scanned I see Sportkilt and Utilikilt and wisely someone brought up Stillwater. I'll add to the list of recommended kilt makers for hiking kilts, USA Kilts in Phoenixville, PA.

http://www.usakilts.com/casual_kilts.php

Rocky and kelly make an excellent kilt that is machine washable in Poly/Viscose fabric in several tartans. They'll do wool also in tartans or solids but their P/V kilts are perfect for hiking.

And for a little humor, it's easier to run with your kilt up than your pants down!

Doctari
03-30-2008, 05:59
Yea, I now have a stillwater kilt for hiking. I got their "thrifty" version & love it. I hate to admit it, but I like it better than the ones I made & it was actually cheaper in the long run. Bonus: being synthetic, it holds less water than my all wool kilts, so is lighter in the rain.

FYI: mine weighs about 18 Oz.