PDA

View Full Version : Challenges...

Cobble
09-13-2015, 22:19
Now please don't throw stuff!

Over the past decade it seems the number of unofficial "challenges" has blossomed. Everyone knows the half gallon and the four state challenges, but the last few years I have heard of dozens of things from the suitcase challenge to the deli challenge, etc. Sadly there seems not to be a complete listing of this fantastic or silly tradition. (Depending on your view of the whole thing. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OR DENUNCIATION OF THE CHALLENGES)

So please submit all the challenges you have heard, seen, and done with a brief description of what it involves. You know...for science...

Cobble
09-13-2015, 22:22
14 Scoop Challenge- Appalachian Trail Cafe. Eat a huge sundae.
Half Gallon Challenge- Timed eating of a half gallon of ice cream.

Feral Bill
09-13-2015, 22:27
I do not approve of the concept. (lengthy rant omitted) Have fun with your list.

BirdBrain
09-13-2015, 23:05
My personal challenge is to refrain from commenting on certain types of threads that infect WhiteBlaze. Obviously this is not one of them. Either that or I have just failed again.

rocketsocks
09-14-2015, 00:08
What's that one called where you eat 5 jalapeņos, run naked around the shelter 3 times and show everyone your nuts?

rocketsocks
09-14-2015, 00:09
What's that one called where you eat 5 jalapeņos, run naked around the shelter 3 times and show everyone your nuts?Oops, grammar mistake...you're nuts.

Feral Bill
09-14-2015, 01:04
Oops, grammar mistake...you're nuts.
Nope, just a spelling mistake, although an impressive one.

Gambit McCrae
09-14-2015, 09:56
There was a challenge written on the shelter just north of Erwin, Involving running back down to Erwin, getting enough pizza and beer for the shelter and making it back within 3 hours. I found a PBR in the shelter but Refrained from cracking it as it was about 14 degrees outside lol

Cobble
09-14-2015, 11:53
Heard of a "Suitcase Challenge?" Where the challengee packs 12 bottles of beer, drinks 1 per hour, and hikes 1 or 2 miles per hour, for the entire 12 hours.

A young lady that did this crashed into town looking like 13 cents (as opposed to a million bucks!) Was concerned until she said why she was miserable...personally I have no pity for self inflicted pain.

rocketsocks
09-14-2015, 12:13
There was a challenge written on the shelter just north of Erwin, Involving running back down to Erwin, getting enough pizza and beer for the shelter and making it back within 3 hours. I found a PBR in the shelter but Refrained from cracking it as it was about 14 degrees outside lolI buy you fly, sounds like a pretty good deal to me to get some warm beer and cold pizza...I love cold pizza, you could have my beer.

ATaBoy
09-14-2015, 17:28
can you give me any kind of insight(greatly appreciated if so) about which fuel type is most/more readily available ….canister or alcohol?

Starchild
09-14-2015, 17:45
Dollar menu challenge, eat one of every $1 item at McD's

Grampie
09-14-2015, 17:57
Challengs are what hikers think up sitting around the shelter. Most of the ones you hear about are not partaked by many. One thing to remember about long distance hiking; You have a lot of time to think about stuff like this.

Dogwood
09-14-2015, 18:15
Eat the whole large pizza and drink the entire 6 pack delivered to Partnership Shelter or the Fontana Hilton challenge.

Cross the railroad tracks in Pawling without being hit by the train challenge.

Ford the Kennebec River and not drown challenge.

Sleep in the GSMNP AT lean-tos and not have something eaten or chewed by the mice/rats challenge.

Hike through PA and not twist your ankle challenge.

The not fall off a floating puncheon and drown or get mired in a high elevation quagmire challenge.

The regularly consume untreated AT lean-to location's water sources and not come down with a microbe challenge.

The "practice your Crane Technique on the edge of Mcafee Knob while wearing your loaded backpack" challenge.

The "run the gauntlet of crossing the NY State Thru-way and NY Hwy 17 and not be struck by a coked up 4 martini stock broker motorist on their way home from a 500 point day stock market crash" challenge.

The find a suitable dry place in the AT lean to on April 20 at 8 p.m. with the rest of the soaked through NOBO AT thru-hiker bubble during an entire day's downpours challenge.

The finish your AT NOBO thru-hike at Mt K and still be in good standing with the BSP officials challenge.

The obtain a spot at The Birches challenge when hiking with the AT NOBO bubble.

The what else is for trail dinner other than Ramen, dehydrated mashed potatoes, or Knorrs Sides challenge.

The thru-hike the AT in one set of trail runners challenge.

The count and touch all the white blazes in order to define a AT thru-hike challenge.

The getting yourself lost on the AT challenge when you are not color blind, know what the white blazes stand for, and can read trail signage/a map challenge.

The don't burn or burn damage ANY of your gear during a cold rainy AT thru-hike challenge.

*THE HAPPILY FINISH YOUR INTENDED AT THRU-HIKE CHALLENGE WHILE NOT BEING AN A-HOLE CHALLENGE. IT IS THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE OF ALL FOR AT -THRU-HIKERS!

rocketsocks
09-14-2015, 18:19
Don't get caught moonin' the Cog.

Old Hiker
09-14-2015, 18:48
Nope, just a spelling mistake, although an impressive one.

You claiming rocketsocks has impressive nuts?

Proof, please................................never mind. No really, never mind. Seriously.

Malto
09-14-2015, 19:45
Here's a couple, a bit more challenging than the four state challenge.
1) hike GSMNP in a day. I believe squeaky did that as a thru hiker.
2) hike CT in a day. This one has me interested

another one I know of, how many straight deli days in New England. garlic had a pretty good streak.

Dogwoods list is is pretty comprehensive.

rocketsocks
09-14-2015, 20:23
You claiming rocketsocks has impressive nuts?

Proof, please................................never mind. No really, never mind. Seriously.:bse:jumpI think he means I'm a fart smella

rocketsocks
09-14-2015, 20:24
Here's a couple, a bit more challenging than the four state challenge.
1) hike GSMNP in a day. I believe squeaky did that as a thru hiker.

another one I know of, how many straight deli days in New England. garlic had a pretty good streak.

Dogwoods list is is pretty comprehensive.which one :D

Old Hiker
09-15-2015, 11:14
:bse:jumpI think he means I'm a fart smella

Lisdexic as well ?

BillyGr
09-15-2015, 23:09

The 4 state one is 40ish miles, CT is only 52 so not much more ;)