PDA

View Full Version : Camping Near Dragon's Tooth in VA

Gary Creed
09-14-2015, 19:01
Does anyone know if there is somewhere to pitch a tent near Dragon's Tooth in Virginia. The section between road 624 and Pickle Branch Shelter? We will need enough space for about 3 or 4 tents. Water in the area would be a bonus.

Slo-go'en
09-14-2015, 20:05
I believe you are required to used designated sites in that area, of which there are several located near-by.

Odd Man Out
09-14-2015, 23:59
Catawba Mtn Shelter is 1.7 miles south of McAfee Knob. Pig Farm Campsite is 0.6 miles North. Campbell Shelter is another 0.1 miles further north. Those are the closest camping area to McAfee Knob. In that section camping is only allowed at these designated campsites. I assume that you would be able to find a place to pitch 4 tents but I've not camped at these (just walked past). Water in this section is scarce when the weather is dry. Better get up to date info when you leave.

Lugnut
09-15-2015, 11:17
Catawba Mtn Shelter is 1.7 miles south of McAfee Knob. Pig Farm Campsite is 0.6 miles North. Campbell Shelter is another 0.1 miles further north. Those are the closest camping area to McAfee Knob. In that section camping is only allowed at these designated campsites. I assume that you would be able to find a place to pitch 4 tents but I've not camped at these (just walked past). Water in this section is scarce when the weather is dry. Better get up to date info when you leave.

This is pretty far from Dragons tooth.

madeformisery
09-15-2015, 11:26
Trails.org should tell you. Just put in dragons tooth va

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH P310A

dzierzak
09-15-2015, 11:58
2015 THC -
699.6 Dragons Tooth
695.4 Pickle Branch Shelter (south of Dragons Tooth)
Next camping north is at Johns Spring Shelter 709.0

V Eight
09-15-2015, 13:58
Does anyone know if there is somewhere to pitch a tent near Dragon's Tooth in Virginia. The section between road 624 and Pickle Branch Shelter? We will need enough space for about 3 or 4 tents. Water in the area would be a bonus.

Lost Spectacles Gap is about 1 mile north of the tooth. Plenty of room with water about 1/3 mile +/- down a well marked trail that goes to a parking lot on hwy 311. I have not been there for over 2 months so I can not personalty vouch for the water supply. The last time I was there a very strong creek was flowing.

Rmcpeak
09-15-2015, 18:00
I'm headed to DT in a couple weeks-- Daleville Outfitter/shuttled told me I could camp "on top at DT." Is this true? i see what look like campsites on google image search....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoofit
09-15-2015, 18:12
We camped on top there in 2010 and had no problems, three tents in all. At the time, there were no signs saying not to camp, obviously abiding by LNT principles.
One of my best pictures from that trip was right there the following morning when we awoke to find we were above the clouds, a truly mesmerizing sight.

Rmcpeak
09-15-2015, 18:44
yeah cool.... We plan to do rt 621 to DT on day one of a rt 621 to rt 220 48 hr hike. Any/all input welcome.

ddanko2
09-16-2015, 08:05
Lost Spectacles Gap is about 1 mile north of the tooth. Plenty of room with water about 1/3 mile +/- down a well marked trail that goes to a parking lot on hwy 311. I have not been there for over 2 months so I can not personalty vouch for the water supply. The last time I was there a very strong creek was flowing.

We camped on top of the tooth during our Memorial Day weekend section hike. It was us and four tents' worth of locals that hauled COOLERS up the SOBO direction up to the Tooth! We had no issues.

Rmcpeak
09-16-2015, 16:20
that's my plan... Camp at the top... I'm hiking nobo, where should I water up for the night?

Gary Creed
09-20-2015, 08:17
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming if someone has more. I've also been told there is a large grassy area just south of 624 that could accommodate several tents. No water though, but so close to the store on 311 you could walk a quarter mile and water up all you need. If anyone could confirm this location as well would be awesome to have a backup location.

So far I've read locations at the tooth, and lost spectacle gap with water available down DT Trail. Great.