PDA

View Full Version : single serving freeze dried meals?

jefals
09-14-2015, 20:23
I like the convenience of those boil-in-a-pouch meals from mountain house or backcountry pantry. But it seems they're mostly sold in 2 or more serving pouches. That part is kinda INconvenient, since now you've got leftovers to haul out. Do y'all know of anything similar that are mostly single serving?

Dochartaigh
09-14-2015, 20:36
If you're using them for hiking (i.e. when you're walking miles and miles up and down steep hills), you'll want the 2-serving meals and then some. Mountain House for example, for 2.5 servings per bag mine are listed as having, are only ~575-650 calories for the entire bag. Even if you ate 3 bags during the course of a day (7.5 servings), that's only 1,950 calories max which is most likely a LOT less than your body used up during that day of hiking. Most people supplement those type of meals with lots of high calorie snacks during the day to get the nutrition they need.

Starchild
09-14-2015, 20:37
Walmart has single serving MH, but a limited selection.

Tuckahoe
09-14-2015, 20:38
Rather than the double serving meals check out the Mountain House Pro-Pack. Also last time I wandered down the camping aisle at Wal-Mart they had Mountain House in single serving packages too. I've never seen single serving packaging before and not seen them anywhere else, so it my only be available at W-M

Tuckahoe
09-14-2015, 20:49
If you're using them for hiking (i.e. when you're walking miles and miles up and down steep hills), you'll want the 2-serving meals and then some. Mountain House for example, for 2.5 servings per bag mine are listed as having, are only ~575-650 calories for the entire bag. Even if you ate 3 bags during the course of a day (7.5 servings), that's only 1,950 calories max which is most likely a LOT less than your body used up during that day of hiking. Most people supplement those type of meals with lots of high calorie snacks during the day to get the nutrition they need.

With all due respect, that wasn't really the question the OP asked. Not every hiker is a over eating machine.

TNhiker
09-14-2015, 20:56
With all due respect, that wasn't really the question the OP asked. Not every hiker is a over eating machine.

my thoughts exactly........

the two serving MH are way way too much for me to eat and i would typically throw away at least half of it.......

but, instead of searching for single servings, i switched my meals.......

now, its a filet migon thats been marinating in a bag all day, rather than a meal ill throw away......

kayak karl
09-14-2015, 21:00
Hawk Vittles (http://hawkvittles.com/) has smaller servings. only had a few, but they were good. not Spam good, but good ;)

Starchild
09-14-2015, 21:02
You could also repackage the MH into 2 meals using a freezer bag to dehydrate it

Dochartaigh
09-14-2015, 21:06
I agree that not all are, but it was a safety thing I wanted to point out to be honest – if the OP thought that 2+ servings was too much food/calories to get by on, I wanted to clearly show how that still won't give you the proper amount of calories a body needs per day for activities like this. Weekend trips, (i.e. short term) I don't see a problem at all, but for long distance hauls I wouldn't consider it safe to be walking up and down steep hills with roots and rocks everywhere on way less than 1/3rd (which is around 3 servings of Mountain House) of the calories your body needs, would you? (and again, assuming we're walking about backpacking type trips here).

The OP also always has the option to cook half the food in a bag (if they bring along a freezer bag or something; and an insulated cozy would be a nice thing to bring along too ;)

Venchka
09-14-2015, 21:12
http://goodto-go.com/#
Good-To-Go has single servings.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Colter
09-14-2015, 21:29
I agree that not all are, but it was a safety thing I wanted to point out to be honest – if the OP thought that 2+ servings was too much food/calories to get by on, I wanted to clearly show how that still won't give you the proper amount of calories a body needs per day for activities like this. Weekend trips, (i.e. short term) I don't see a problem at all, but for long distance hauls I wouldn't consider it safe to be walking up and down steep hills with roots and rocks everywhere on way less than 1/3rd (which is around 3 servings of Mountain House) of the calories your body needs, would you? (and again, assuming we're walking about backpacking type trips here).

The OP also always has the option to cook half the food in a bag (if they bring along a freezer bag or something; and an insulated cozy would be a nice thing to bring along too ;)

I agree with the wisdom of this post.

MuddyWaters
09-14-2015, 21:46
servings on label are just for calorie and nutrition accounting, they are NOT how much you typically eat

Smoky Spoon
09-14-2015, 21:47
I think this all brings up an interesting point, typically the double servings in the freeze dried foods are too much for me when I did small hikes but found on long hikes in back country areas I ate more, lots more. On a thru hike all my reading states between 3000 to 5000 calories a day. Those double servings will come in handy then. Carrying one pouch may also be weight reductive as opposed to carrying two. Just food for thought.

egilbe
09-14-2015, 21:56
I always thought those mountain house meals were single serving. It's a wonder I'm not fat...ter

Astro
09-14-2015, 22:32
I have never had a problem eating a Mountain House 2 or 2.5 serving meal at the end of a full day of hiking, nor did my physically fit 10 year old. Perhaps we are overeating, or perhaps others are just under hiking. I guess HYOH.

jefals
09-14-2015, 22:35

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, this looks like what I was looking for!

( Watch yer top knot. Yup. Watch your'n.) :)

jefals
09-14-2015, 22:38
Hey guys, sometimes I could eat 4 servings!
But sometimes, I just want one... :)

Heliotrope
09-14-2015, 22:41

Wayne

Good to go is awesome! I am a big eater and the double serving size leaves me very full after a long hiking of day. My wife is taking the single serving size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
09-14-2015, 22:41
Walmart has single serving MH, but a limited selection.
Thanks. I'll check em out.. I looked at MH website, a little, and didn't see many single-selections there, but I didn't look at everything. I'll check WM.

jefals
09-15-2015, 03:01
Hawk Vittles (http://hawkvittles.com/) has smaller servings. only had a few, but they were good. not Spam good, but good ;)
this one looks like a lot of choices....thx!

Hikes in Rain
09-15-2015, 05:52
this one looks like a lot of choices....thx!

1+ on Hawk Vittles. Really good food, and the single size is such I have to force down the last few bites. Not that that is a chore! Just note that they're dehydrated, not freeze dried, and the reconstitution methodology is different. Put food in pot, cover with water, let soak a little while (set up camp), bring to a boil and cozy for a while (it varies with the meal, 10-20 minutes). The directions don't mention a pre-heating soak, but I find they rehydrate better with it.

daddytwosticks
09-15-2015, 07:15
I'm just a section hiker. I've never been out for more than five days. My hiker appetite NEVER kicks in and I can stand to drop a few pounds off my butt. I have always split the MH meals into two servings. Now that Wal-Mart sells single-serving MH meals, I'm all set. They do have a limited selection and I expect, like Wal-Mart always does, they will change up there stock/display real soon and probably drop the single serving meals for some unknown marketing reason. :)

Gambit McCrae
09-15-2015, 08:27
Well there are several options:
Mountain House:
MH sells their product in many ways
A- 2 servings(Most common in stores)
B- Propacks(single serving smaller bags) (http://www.mountainhouse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Screen=SRCH)
C- A "#10 can" which is a open container scoop from bulk option (http://www.mountainhouse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&Store_Code=M&search=can&searchoffset=12&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=&customfield1=package&customfield2=variety&customfield3=srch_show&attropts1=glutenfree&filter_cf1=&filter_cf2=&filter_cf3=yes&filter_ao1=&ProductsPerPage=12)
D- Buckets of 2 serving "kits" (http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/category/buckets-and-kits.html)

Backpacker's Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) is good stuff

I make my own meals but think I am going to start buying some ingredients from MH like the ground beef and chicken, gotta be easier then doing it myself.

Offshore
09-15-2015, 08:52
Thanks Wayne, this looks like what I was looking for!

( Watch yer top knot. Yup. Watch your'n.) :)

+1 on the Good to Go. REI is starting to carry them, but mostly two serving packs. EMS has single serving. They also sell direct from their site http://goodto-go.com/

ralph23
09-15-2015, 14:41
Why can't you just buy a two serving meal, empty one serving into a ziplock bag, and now you have 2 single serve meals? Am I missing something here?

rocketsocks
09-15-2015, 15:05
I never had any trouble finishing a 2 serving meal, but then I'm a fat bastard also.

jefals
09-15-2015, 17:02
1+ on Hawk Vittles. Really good food, and the single size is such I have to force down the last few bites. Not that that is a chore! Just note that they're dehydrated, not freeze dried, and the reconstitution methodology is different. Put food in pot, cover with water, let soak a little while (set up camp), bring to a boil and cozy for a while (it varies with the meal, 10-20 minutes). The directions don't mention a pre-heating soak, but I find they rehydrate better with it.
Do you really need the pot? You can't just pour the water in the bag like the others? I kinda wanted to avoid the pot if possible...

jefals
09-15-2015, 17:08
Why can't you just buy a two serving meal, empty one serving into a ziplock bag, and now you have 2 single serve meals? Am I missing something here?
You might be missing my thinking re. convenience. I like the idea of just opening the bag, pouring in the boiling water and eating it. So, anything else I have to do to it, makes it that much less convenient.
I have enough to think about. I don't want to worry about things like what temperature plastic ziploc bags melt, and if I'm going to be eating melted plastic molecules, or how easy it's going to be to handle a hot ziploc bag, that's probably going to be "hot, wiggly and jiggly", rather than those bags the meals come in that are made for that purpose....
:)

squeezebox
09-15-2015, 17:46
Any reason to consider making your own dehydrated meals?

August W.
09-15-2015, 18:12
Good To Go is a great option. Their curry meal is awesome. We have also been very happy with "cook in bag" meals from Mary Jane's Farm and Pack-it Gourmet. Both offer single serve and have been quick to ship the orders.

jefals
09-15-2015, 19:31
Good To Go is a great option. Their curry meal is awesome. We have also been very happy with "cook in bag" meals from Mary Jane's Farm and Pack-it Gourmet. Both offer single serve and have been quick to ship the orders.

Thanks for the tip on Mary Jane's. Checking their website and it looks good.

jefals
09-15-2015, 19:33
Any reason to consider making your own dehydrated meals?

I'm sure lots of folks would like to do that, but it's not for me...

jefals
09-15-2015, 19:43
Well there are several options:
Mountain House:
MH sells their product in many ways
A- 2 servings(Most common in stores)
B- Propacks(single serving smaller bags) (http://www.mountainhouse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&Screen=SRCH)
C- A "#10 can" which is a open container scoop from bulk option (http://www.mountainhouse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH&Store_Code=M&search=can&searchoffset=12&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=&customfield1=package&customfield2=variety&customfield3=srch_show&attropts1=glutenfree&filter_cf1=&filter_cf2=&filter_cf3=yes&filter_ao1=&ProductsPerPage=12)
D- Buckets of 2 serving "kits" (http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/category/buckets-and-kits.html)

Backpacker's Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) is good stuff

I make my own meals but think I am going to start buying some ingredients from MH like the ground beef and chicken, gotta be easier then doing it myself.

Just checked that propack link. The serving sizes I'm seeing on the website in propacks are 2 or 2.5... I don't want buckets or cans.
Those backpacker gourmets look GOOD!!! But, I'm thinking again, the pouches might be too big. But they look so good, I'm gonna order a couple anyway, just to check em out!

Harrison Bergeron
09-15-2015, 19:54
I don't get it. Why would you want to pay nearly the same price for half the food? It's FREEZE DRIED, folks! It will keep for twenty years if it doesn't get wet. Believe me, it will keep for an extra day or two after you open it, in the same pouch it came in.

Here's what I do. I buy the 2.5 serving packs because they're really 2 servings (at least until your hiker appetite kicks in). The first night I cozy half in my 20oz insulated coffee cup and leave the rest in the pouch, wrapped with a rubber band or clipped with a binder clip. The next night I cook the remainder in the pouch, (*cozy'd in my fleece hat) and save the cleanup. Or if I'm really hungry and I have plenty, I just eat the whole damn package in one meal!

shelterbuilder
09-15-2015, 21:07
What leftovers???

jefals
09-16-2015, 01:25
Here's what I do. I buy the 2.5 serving packs because they're really 2 servings (at least until your hiker appetite kicks in). The first night I cozy half

Hate to show my ignorance on backpacking terminology, but what do you mean, you "cozy" it?

rocketsocks
09-16-2015, 04:45
Hate to show my ignorance on backpacking terminology, but what do you mean, you "cozy" it?
Cozy;

a means of of seperating the ambient from the "contained with-in" by employing a thermal barrier of sorts. Typicaly some reflectix insulation which is a kinda of a closed cell foam that is Mylar backed.

er something like that

Hikes in Rain
09-16-2015, 06:06
Do you really need the pot? You can't just pour the water in the bag like the others? I kinda wanted to avoid the pot if possible...

Oversight on my part. It works very well for freezer bag cooking, as well. Takes a little longer to dehydrate, but works just fine. Haven't tried it, but I suppose you could use cold water instead of hot, if you'd like.

Offshore
09-16-2015, 07:09
Here's what I do. I buy the 2.5 serving packs because they're really 2 servings (at least until your hiker appetite kicks in). The first night I cozy half in my 20oz insulated coffee cup and leave the rest in the pouch, wrapped with a rubber band or clipped with a binder clip.

Where can you get UL titanium binder clips?

jefals
09-16-2015, 10:08
Cozy;

a means of of seperating the ambient from the "contained with-in" by employing a thermal barrier of sorts. Typicaly some reflectix insulation which is a kinda of a closed cell foam that is Mylar backed.

er something like that
Okay, got it! Thanks, Rocketsocks. Don't need to be cozying where I'm hiking -- at least not yet. (but maybe soon).
btw, someone "did me a favor" by wrapping my cooking pot in some of that stuff. I'm not sure he knew what he was doing, because he also left it on the bottom. I figured that kinda defeats the purpose of trying to get heat to the thing, so at least I cut it from around the bottom. Still, the first time I fired up the stove and set the pot on top, the insulation got pretty scorched, and reminded me of those images of the space shuttle hurtling thru the atmosphere with the flames shooting off those shields -- kinda looked like that. (on a somewhat smaller scale).

jefals
09-16-2015, 10:10
Oversight on my part. It works very well for freezer bag cooking, as well. Takes a little longer to dehydrate, but works just fine. Haven't tried it, but I suppose you could use cold water instead of hot, if you'd like.

good deal, thx!

Dochartaigh
09-16-2015, 11:33
Okay, got it! Thanks, Rocketsocks. Don't need to be cozying where I'm hiking -- at least not yet. (but maybe soon).
btw, someone "did me a favor" by wrapping my cooking pot in some of that stuff. I'm not sure he knew what he was doing, because he also left it on the bottom. I figured that kinda defeats the purpose of trying to get heat to the thing, so at least I cut it from around the bottom. Still, the first time I fired up the stove and set the pot on top, the insulation got pretty scorched, and reminded me of those images of the space shuttle hurtling thru the atmosphere with the flames shooting off those shields -- kinda looked like that. (on a somewhat smaller scale).

Just an FYI, a food cozy should never be used on a pot while you're using a flame/stove on the pot itself (unless there's some new-fangled version out there I've never heard of which I doubt). That's a sure way to release toxic chemicals into the air and create a burned mess of plastic, and possibly ruining your pot and your dinner at the same time.

In simple terms: a cozy is something that insulates your pot (to keep it hot for longer AFTER the food has been cooked in the pot, or the boiling water added to freeze-dried meals or whatnot), OR people also commonly place their Mountain House bag (with boiling water already added to it) inside a cozy so the food is kept hot longer (which can also help the food rehydrate better).

Cozy's usually come in two shapes: in a cylinder shape to match the shape of your pot, or in a bag shape which you can place your Mountain House bag into. Usually made of Reflectix (looks like silver bubble-wrap), or some sort of nylon fabric with insulating material inside (like a lunch "cozy" you might bring to the office to keep your lunch hot or cold in).

daddytwosticks
09-16-2015, 11:53
Where can you get UL titanium binder clips?
Drill some holes in a regular one. That's what I did to my water bottle. Now it's really light!:confused:

Dochartaigh
09-16-2015, 13:23
P.S. I really hope the OP was kidding with his last post...

hikernutcasey
09-16-2015, 13:34
I'm a section hiker so I don't have the hiker hunger thru hikers talk about. Could I eat a full 2 serving Mountain House or something equivalent? Sure but on a section hike I don't really need that much food. I buy 2 serving meals and split them in half. The trick is trying to get the same amount of ingredients into each bag or else one of the two will taste kind of bland and the other will be extra full of flavor if the spices aren't distributed evenly.

I eat out of a bowl when I hike so I just divide the meal into 2 separate ziplock bags and hydrate them in my bowl. I carry a small piece of aluminum foil to cover the bowl while it rehydrates. Works well for me.

rocketsocks
09-16-2015, 13:40
Just an FYI, a food cozy should never be used on a pot while you're using a flame/stove on the pot itself (unless there's some new-fangled version out there I've never heard of which I doubt). That's a sure way to release toxic chemicals into the air and create a burned mess of plastic, and possibly ruining your pot and your dinner at the same time.

In simple terms: a cozy is something that insulates your pot (to keep it hot for longer AFTER the food has been cooked in the pot, or the boiling water added to freeze-dried meals or whatnot), OR people also commonly place their Mountain House bag (with boiling water already added to it) inside a cozy so the food is kept hot longer (which can also help the food rehydrate better).

Cozy's usually come in two shapes: in a cylinder shape to match the shape of your pot, or in a bag shape which you can place your Mountain House bag into. Usually made of Reflectix (looks like silver bubble-wrap), or some sort of nylon fabric with insulating material inside (like a lunch "cozy" you might bring to the office to keep your lunch hot or cold in).

32015Here's one I got in the mail from AARP that will work nicely to hold my kitchen in, and another I made from a cheap windshield sun shade that holds prepackaged dehydrated meals.

rocketsocks
09-16-2015, 13:50
btw, someone "did me a favor" by wrapping my cooking pot in some of that stuff. I'm not sure he knew what he was doing, because he also left it on the bottom. I figured that kinda defeats the purpose of trying to get heat to the thing, so at least I cut it from around the bottom. Still, the first time I fired up the stove and set the pot on top, the insulation got pretty scorched, and reminded me of those images of the space shuttle hurtling thru the atmosphere with the flames shooting off those shields -- kinda looked like that. (on a somewhat smaller scale).Many moons ago when I got my first sleeping bag it came with a stuff sack. But at the bottom of the box was a over sized cheap cotton humongous sack, I just figured it was for one of them expedition type bags that Sir Edmond Hillary was using...so I tossed it. Years later I would spend $3 hard earned dollars to correct my mistake.

Wally World (Warlmart) sells cheap automobile sunshades that can make several projects.

jefals
09-16-2015, 13:52
P.S. I really hope the OP was kidding with his last post...
No, unfortunately I wasn't. The pot has curved handles that fold out from the side, and it's part of the gear I bought from the guy that runs that AT school near Dahlonega. They put that material around the pot. This pot has curved handles that fold out from the sides, so there were cutouts in the material that you could slip those handles thru. But not something I thought I'd want to be doing with cold stiff fingers, and a hot pot full of boiling water. I questioned it, also, but I guess I figured they knew what they were doing, and it was probably some space-age stuff that wasn't going to burn. It isn't, and another lesson learned from just one of several rookie backpacker mistakes!
So I've removed what was left of that material from my pot. I figure I don't need that stuff, tho, for my purposes, at least for now. Right now I don't really want to cook anything in that pot -- just use it to boil water, which I'll then pour into the pouch meals. So I won't need to cozy the pot.

egilbe
09-16-2015, 14:15
Don't mean to laugh at you, but that's pretty funny, or will be to you someday.

jefals
09-16-2015, 14:38
Don't mean to laugh at you, but that's pretty funny, or will be to you someday.
Yes, it is already...definitely wasn't then, and just thankful I was cooking on a giant boulder and not in the vicinity of anything igniteable. It was my first backpacking trip, and I definitely reminded myself of Robert Redford in that old Jerimiah Johnson movie --- when he first got out there and didn't know anything! :)