PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Planning First Long Section Hike.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
09-14-2015, 23:31
Hey guys!

It's me again. I am going to make a all in one thread to ask questions as I plan my first section hike on the AT.

A little about me: I am 25, gonna be 26 by the time I start this, female. Short 5'2-3. Al-bit over weight by 50 lbs. I am choosing to do section hikes along the AT because of my current schedule in life. I am a college student and spring classes let up around May - Fall picks up around August. I also work as a delivery driver for the local pizza joint.

My hiking history is somewhat Odd. I first went on my first packing trip carrying 50-70 lbs of weight worth of canned mean, fruit, soup with two friends up Half-moon mountain. It rained. We didn't make it to the top and camped out in a field. Over all, the experience made one friend hate backpacking, another kinda like it, and me...love it.

After that first trip, we averaged out with two over night trips a year.

Than that turned into, canoe camping at lake moo maw, day hiking white water canyon, old rag, bear mtn in ny, etc etc.

Overall, I have mostly day hikes under my belt, a few car camping trips, and Over night backpacking. I have never done more than a night on the trail, but have been wanting too for a very long time.

AT History:
I feel like the AT is calling to me. I want to hike. I love to hike. Every time I drive through mountains, I want to ohhh...ahhh at the change in scenery. I considered living in the mountains for a long time. I still consider running a hostel for AT Hikers just because I want to learn about them, meet, etc.

A few weeks ago, friends and I were driving to oh and passed under the At bridge into harpers ferry. We fan-girled over the At. lol I guess in a way, we romanticize the trail too much. Last year, I had planned to hike a section of the trail but didn't. Mostly because I failed a hike by my self that was uphill, and extremely steep. I ended up turning back to drive home defeated. It kinda made me hate the mountains for a while.

I recently tackled Old Rag, White water Canyon, and Apple Orchard. I saw summits. I finally got a taste of the feeling of reaching what you just hiked uphill for. It gave me inspiration. I also realized that with the right mind-set, I could do anything. In one year, I taught myself to snow ski (first time!), went zip-lining, cave diving, ski-diving (Long Island), DROVE to NYC lol, and this coming weekend....white water rafting.

And I am not done. I want to hike the AT, and I want to get a trail-name. I want to stay at a dirt, cheap, stinky hostel. I plainly want the experience some way, some how even if I can not do the AT in full just yet. I don't want to wait. I am tired of waiting to have fun with my life.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
09-14-2015, 23:36
My plan for next may is to hike from ether Harpers Ferrry/Damacus to NY. I live in Va, and NY is where my Best friend lives. It's a easy way to the trail and a easy way back home when finished. I plan to take a train from one of the towns to NYC where my friend lives.

Any recommendation of towns with trains back to the city in ny?

Also: What is the mileage?

I still need to fix a begin and a end. But I have like 8 months to plan this trip.

dzierzak
09-15-2015, 09:45
http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/transportation-options

Scroll down to bus and train options. You can expand your search by looking at the individual bus and train schedules/route maps.

Studlintsean
09-15-2015, 09:49
Use ATdist.com to help figure out the rough mileage. Also look into picking up The AT Guide (http://www.theatguide.com/) to help with planning. Welcome from a fellow Virginian

Red Cinema
09-15-2015, 14:06
Smartphone user? AT Guide (Guthook). I hear good things about AWOL's app, too (http://www.theatguide.com/) and accompanying book. Questions like "what's the mileage" are easily answered using resources like these. Keep hikin'!

illabelle
09-15-2015, 14:23
Great to hear that you're doing so many new things! It's an encouragement to others who may be unsure of themselves or who think they have to lose weight before they can do stuff. Those 50 pounds? They're going to go away. I was once 55 pounds above my "ideal" weight. Still have 20 to go, but I'm getting there. And going outside, being active - that's how.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
09-16-2015, 02:39
Hey guys, I was looking around on the websites and such. I did find mileage, but am still unsure where is best to start.

I am a social hiker. I like to hike with people more so by myself. But I highly doubt I would be able to tackle the 20-30 miles a day some hikers do right around this time.

Plan A: Go to Damascus. Spend a few days there during trail days. Than hike with hiker bubbles to help motivate me during the first week-weeks on the trail. I can see myself getting demotivated by being left behind, however. See the horses at Greyson!

Plan B: Start at Harper's Ferry in may. Easy access. Parent's could spend a little vocation time there looking around. I avoid the Green Tunnel of Doom.

Another option is too try to find a section hiker to come along with me......which is hard on the account that everyone I know thinks I am bat-**** crazy for wanting to walk 500+ miles with bears. I suppose trying to locate someone on the forum would work, maybe, or one of my hiking meet-up groups.

Ether way. Another question:

Are long-section hikers aloud to use hostels, eat trail magic, etc? I can see like day hiker type sections, but I am planning to hike three states.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
09-16-2015, 02:47
One more. What guide do you guys recommend? I love Awol, read his book, but I think he is a little over priced for his fame.

I was thinking about getting the Appalachian Thru-Hike Companion, but I would love it if I could have loose leaf in a binder so I don't ruin the entire book trying to cut out the section I am attempting.

illabelle
09-16-2015, 08:52
The best trail guide, in my opinion, is AWOL's AT Guide, www.theatguide.com, comes in NOBO or SOBO version, bound or loose-leaf . We have the Companion also.

The amenities along the trail, hostels, trail magic, etc, are available to whomever chooses to use them. You don't have to be a thru-hiker.

Don't worry about hiking by yourself too much. Unless you intentionally avoid the bubble by choosing an alternate itinerary, there are almost always other hikers nearby. If you're in the bubble, you will find those with whom you are compatible. Most will be like you, trying to make a moderate distance each day. Very few are doing 20-30 mpd.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
09-23-2015, 15:04
Hey guys.

Thanks for all the gear talk. I did some research and found out that it would be unplausible for me to try Damascus to pawlings NY. The mileage is roughly 900 miles. I have from may-august to hike, but do not want to spend my entire summer on the trail since I do have work arrangements. If I did ten miles a day, I would spent 3.5 months trying to accomplish this hike. Of course, I could do more than ten miles a day but that is questionable at best.

My options changed to:
Damacus-Harpers
or
Harper-pawlings.

Any opinions on which one to take? I like the idea of being able to hike through a entire state section vs just staying in virginia.

As far gear comes: I have a list! Is there anything I may be missing that is often not thought of?

Hammock:
Ether A Darien or A Dutchwear.
Whoopie slings
And Tree belts
Stakes

Still unsure on what tarp to use.

Sleeping:
Ozark 200. I have seen decent reveiws on this sleeping bag and want to try it out for my trail. I do not plan to backpack during winter time, but do plan to backpack durring the Late spring-summer-earlyfall. This bag is only $80, and seems like a good purchase to use beyond just my summer At. Section Hike.

However, I have been reading on the thread started by diy-ers on the cosco down blankets. They look promising, and easy to use. Plus a fraction of the cost. I almost want to jump on in and ask someone to get some for me to make my own bag.

Small Travel Pillow.

No Under quilt unless I feel I need one. Right now, I am planning for the At hike.

Cooking:
Penny Stove/Cat Stove. Which ever one I like the best, I will bring. I have a cat stove right now, but I may make a penny stove for fuel savings.
Lighter
Fuel in little bottle (already have a cook kit. Mostly, I'll just be working on efficiency)
Wind Sheild made from tinfoil

Water:
Gravity Fed Filtration.
Two Smart Water Bottles
Dirty Bag

Pack:
Flat
Iron Pack.

Rain Gear:
Poncho or Long Rain Coat. Dn Ducks Rain suit?
May use pack cover from other pack, or make my own.

Dishs:
Coffee Can Cook Pot. DIY.
Titanium Spork
Possibly a Cup for drink, maybe, maybe not.

General:
Camp Towel. (shamwow)
First-Aid-Kit- Band-aids, ointment cream, Medication I.
Slick-Glide-Whatever stuff for diaper rash in adults lol
Tiny Tooth Paste and Brush.
Fold up hair brush (luxury for towns)
Baby Wipes
Foot Powder
Toilet Paper
Chap-Stick
Pocket Knife
Duct Tape wrapped around something.
My Small Hand Held Flag light.
Iphone (my phone unless it breaks by next year)
Possibly a tiny batery operated mp3 player
Extra charger for phone.
Guide
Money/Money Card
I.D

Clothing: Help me here if you guys have any better recommendations.

2. pairs of Socks
- Cool Max Running Socks

1.Gym Shorts
- BasketBall type shorts

1.Compression Boxers
-Armor Guard? These are my underwear.

1.Armor Guard Type T-shirt/moisture wicking

1 extra shirt & shorts to sleep in. Extremely light material. Comfort cloths. I may ditch the shirt, and just sleep in a tank top to save some more weight. But I do need sleep wear shorts.

1. Hiking Sandals.

End of List.

q-tip
09-24-2015, 12:24
I have a number of AT resources, gear lists, food lists, training, if interested send pm with email and I will forward,