PDA

View Full Version : Older version Petzl Tikka plus or Inova microlight?

Kontiki
09-15-2015, 19:52
Hello Everyone,

I was going over lighting options. I have an older version of the Petzl Tikka plus and an Inova microlight. I do not plan on hiking in the dark therefore the microlight would seem to be the right choice but I really like the Tikka. What do you think?

Dogwood
09-15-2015, 23:13
With the Tikka Plus nice to have the red light availability for protecting your night vision and stealthier camping and having adjustable white light that has a far far greater range of lumen output than the Inova microlight. I also like having, or maybe it's just that I'm used to doing it this way, having a light hands free light sourced from above at the top of my head rather than just on a keychain like the Inova microlight. At max the Inova puts out a paltry 16 lumens which is fine IF you stay in your tent and in good weather but in the event you do have to go out of and away from your shelter/tent during the night COULD pose lighting issues. Unexpected events like that happen. For example, on privy journeys in foggy/misty weather with lots of potential for dangerous trips, slips, and falls. Even though you don't plan on night hiking situations can develop where you might HAVE TO move during a moonless overcast night. I like the four different modes for the Inova and I think you should avail yourself of them to maintain useful battery life with the Inova. The batteries for the Inova can be harder to find on a longer hike than AAA's which are found everywhere batteries are sold.

Dogwood
09-15-2015, 23:23
FWIW, when in a flaming gram weenie mode I combined the lighter head cord of a Petzl Zipka Plus onto a Tikka Plus XP and opting for the lightest wt Lithium batteries which is OK for the LEDs w/ these Petzl series to save about 25 grams. I don't like the Zipka cord though as that style tends to move around more on my head.