PDA

View Full Version : dehydrated foods

One More
09-15-2015, 22:36
Hi WB! Does anyone else dehydrate your own food for backpacking? I eat organic at home and I found the organic dehydrated meals are full of salt and don't taste that great. I bought a dehydrator and I'm going to give it a whirl

Cobble
09-16-2015, 00:27
Check under the Cooking/Food Section. There are like three people that do and they keep posting under fifty names each...or 150 people posting under one name each. One of those.

Vegan Packer
09-16-2015, 00:36
I cook all of my backpacking (and most of my home) meals from scratch, and I dehydrate them. It works really well. It can be a lot of work before the trip, but it is so easy once you hit the trail.

I do all freezer bag cooking, and the only thing that I need to add is boiling water. All of my meals are strictly vegan. They are also healthy eating, not the high salt, chemicals and additives of many of the commercial meals. The only thing that I become a little flexible about is sugar for my backpacking meals.

I've posted a few recipes and suggestions. I am always looking for new things to try.

Here to help, if you would like to find out any information.

I think that I am the only person that actually gains weight on my outings; my food is that good! :)

Maui Rhino
09-16-2015, 01:19
One of my favorite trail meals is chow mein noodles from my favorite take-out joint. I'll buy a big side order and dehydrate it at home. On trail, I'll throw in some Spam and some dehydrated stir-fry veggies for some serious Hawaiian- style comfort food.

HeartFire
09-16-2015, 05:49
I too make all my own backpacking food - all vegan, organic, whole-foods, But understand, you do need all that extra salt when you are out there sweating, so add some extra to your foods.

plexusbritt
09-16-2015, 08:55
Yep. Here too. Once you have big jars of things dehydrated, meal prep gets very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
09-16-2015, 09:47
I've heard that dried peanut butter is available, but what about dehydrated veggies just by themselves.

bigcranky
09-16-2015, 09:51
Check out http://www.trailcooking.com/. (No relation, just a site I like.)

Vegan Packer
09-16-2015, 15:33
I too make all my own backpacking food - all vegan, organic, whole-foods...

If you have any recipes that you can share, that would be great. Always looking for new things to try.

theoilman
09-16-2015, 17:15
I've heard that dried peanut butter is available, but what about dehydrated veggies just by themselves.
Bags of frozen veges dehydrate great. I just put them frozen directly in my dehydrator. They were blanched before freezing so the multiple harder steps were already done.

One More
09-16-2015, 18:21
Thank you all!!! I'm going to do that and give myself some better nutrition on the trail

backpackeraaron
09-16-2015, 18:26
Not to get off the post topic but has anyone sen the Harvest Right home freeze dryer? I wish I had more cash to buy one. That would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Jones
09-16-2015, 19:57

Harmony House.

Rocket Jones
09-16-2015, 19:58
Check out http://www.trailcooking.com/. (No relation, just a site I like.)

Another good one is BackpackingChef.com.