PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Newfound Gap shuttle and parking anyone had experience or suggestions?

charlesp123
09-16-2015, 00:22
I am planning on making this 70 mile hike in the beginning of October and have yet to decide on NOBO or SOBO. I had a little trouble finding the parking allowance and a shuttle online that makes that trip so if you have any knowledge or experience with this area please let me know. Currently I am hiking Solo so if anyone else plans to make this trip message me!
Charles

HooKooDooKu
09-16-2015, 01:16
I don't have any experience with shuttle services between GSMNP and NOC. But I have heard of shuttles between Newfound Gap/Gatlinburg to Fontana being over $100.

So here's a wild idea.

The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad runs a daily excursion between Bryson City and the NOC. An adult ticket for the open-air seating is about $50.
From Bryson City, Deep Creek Campground is only about a 2.5 mile walk/hitch. From Deep Creek, its about a 12-14 mile backpacking trip to the top of GSMNP with several paths/camp sites to choose from that can get you to anywhere between New Found Gap and Clingman's Dome.

However, you would need to call ahead to see about arraignments if you need to board the train for a one-way trip from the NOC to Bryson. You would also need to contact them about bringing your camping gear along. I know they do not allow things like personal coolers on board, claiming that they can make things difficult for those trying to move around on the train... however, I suspect that's just an excuse to get you to try to purchase snacks from the snack bar.

daddytwosticks
09-16-2015, 07:13
I would hike it southbound. Nothing better than ending a section hike at the NOC. Showers, food, beer. :)

bigcranky
09-16-2015, 08:12
Southbound, definitely. Call the folks at The Hike Inn for a shuttle.

slbirdnerd
09-16-2015, 08:39
+1 for The Hike Inn! I'm getting a ride from them from Davenport Gap to The Hike Inn (in Fontana), overnight stay, shuttle to trail at Fontana and the total is about $190. I also shuttled and stayed with them twice this summer, fantastic folks! http://thehikeinn.com/

What a great hike! Have a good time!

charlesp123
09-17-2015, 21:13
I don't have any experience with shuttle services between GSMNP and NOC. But I have heard of shuttles between Newfound Gap/Gatlinburg to Fontana being over $100.

So here's a wild idea.

The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad runs a daily excursion between Bryson City and the NOC. An adult ticket for the open-air seating is about $50.
From Bryson City, Deep Creek Campground is only about a 2.5 mile walk/hitch. From Deep Creek, its about a 12-14 mile backpacking trip to the top of GSMNP with several paths/camp sites to choose from that can get you to anywhere between New Found Gap and Clingman's Dome.

However, you would need to call ahead to see about arraignments if you need to board the train for a one-way trip from the NOC to Bryson. You would also need to contact them about bringing your camping gear along. I know they do not allow things like personal coolers on board, claiming that they can make things difficult for those trying to move around on the train... however, I suspect that's just an excuse to get you to try to purchase snacks from the snack bar.
thanks for the info, unfortunately the train does not(at least anymore) run like that. That would have been a pretty cool way to get to my drop off though. I called around and found some nice locals for a taxi and its gonna be about $100. I also found out that the Cherokee transit shuttle stopped its route down 441 through newfound gap, it was only 2 or 5 dollars to ride that thing, oh well. Still searching for a hiking buddy or two! Also looking at Possibly moving the trip closer to the beginning of October!