PDA

View Full Version : Whiteblaze in BACKPACKER

Tabasco
11-30-2005, 09:34
Received my Feb 2006 issue yesterday and what do I see but a plug for Whiteblaze.net on page 31. I had to laugh at the innocous reference to Wingfoot though.

Rain Man
11-30-2005, 09:48
Why tease us? What did it say about Wingfoot? If it's important enough to mention, then it's important enough to quote! Unless your goal is to tease.

Rain:sunMan

tlbj6142
11-30-2005, 10:34
I already mentioned this here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11324

Mags
11-30-2005, 12:16
After reading the original thread about this note, went to my local bookstore and read Backpacker Mag. Nice little blurb. Also noticed the trail video review.

Anyway..as I am thumbing through the magazine, saw an ad for Honda Dirtbikes.. ***??!!?!?

The line that really got me was "..a family that rides togethet blah blah blah". Er..what about a family that hikers together?

I really did not need another reason why I stopped subscribing many years ago..but the dirt bike ad was definitely over the top for me.

Footslogger
11-30-2005, 12:21
[quote=Mags]Anyway..as I am thumbing through the magazine, saw an ad for Honda Dirtbikes.. ***??!!?!?
========================================
One of the many reasons I cancelled my subscription. Pretty hard to take gear reviews seriously when every piece of gear being tested comes out on top. But then again ...one must keep the advertisers happy.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
11-30-2005, 12:29
Pretty hard to take gear reviews seriously when every piece of gear being tested comes out on top. Honestly, how often do you read any review from any source that doesn't make the product sound good? Bad/negative reviews are very rare. Not sure why. As a reader of reviews you have to learn to read between the lines (lies:D) to gather the reviewers true feelings. I tend to think of reviews more like art. Interpretation is required.

Even a site like backpackgeartest.org rarely has negative reviews. Though the reviewer always has their token "cons" list that has something very minor listed on it ("I'd prefer a #5 zipper rather than the #7").

Lone Wolf
11-30-2005, 12:29
After reading the original thread about this note, went to my local bookstore and read Backpacker Mag. Nice little blurb. Also noticed the trail video review.

Anyway..as I am thumbing through the magazine, saw an ad for Honda Dirtbikes.. ***??!!?!?

The line that really got me was "..a family that rides togethet blah blah blah". Er..what about a family that hikers together?

I really did not need another reason why I stopped subscribing many years ago..but the dirt bike ad was definitely over the top for me.
I'm done with the ATC too. Thier last mag had a feature article/front cover of a friggin horse trail. ***?

the goat
11-30-2005, 12:48

yeah, it blows IMO too.

Mags
11-30-2005, 13:46
I'm done with the ATC too. Thier last mag had a feature article/front cover of a friggin horse trail. ***?

I noticed that as well. I wrote a post about it a while ago. Made me wonder if the folks at the ATC are thinking of opening up some of the AT for horses. I was told no..but, well, you never know.

SGT Rock
11-30-2005, 17:43
I noticed that as well. I wrote a post about it a while ago. Made me wonder if the folks at the ATC are thinking of opening up some of the AT for horses. I was told no..but, well, you never know.
Don't forget there is a plug in there which is a pseudo gear review for what I assume is a new corporate sponsor's tent. I guess the goal is to turn the AT Journeys into another Backpacker Magazine - backpack with the officially recognized gear "as seen in ATC Journeys" logo on the package :confused:

Mags
11-30-2005, 18:10
Don't forget there is a plug in there which is a pseudo gear review for what I assume is a new corporate sponsor's tent. I guess the goal is to turn the AT Journeys into another Backpacker Magazine - backpack with the officially recognized gear "as seen in ATC Journeys" logo on the package :confused:

Kinda sad...the ATC magazine is less of a community magazine and more of a slick AMC Outdoors magazine. Not sure I like the new focus...

Lion King
11-30-2005, 18:25

What videos did they cover?

originally they were suppoused to cover Walking With Freedom, they got a free copy so I had hoped they would...maybe not...probally not, or I guess Iwould have heard about it.

Mags
11-30-2005, 18:47
What videos did they cover?

originally they were suppoused to cover Walking With Freedom, they got a free copy so I had hoped they would...maybe not...probally not, or I guess Iwould have heard about it.
Lesse..two AT videos, two (kinda) PCT Videos.

They reviewed Walk and Really Livin' (WB's Fiddlehead was on it). Walk is a PCT video, Really Livin' is about the Triple Crown attempt in one year.

I can't remember the title of the two AT videos. One was the the documentary-type you see on PBS. The other one was about the 4 guys hiking the AT.

I don't believe they reviewed your video.

Roland
11-30-2005, 18:55
~~~I can't remember the title of the two AT videos. One was the the documentary-type you see on PBS. The other one was about the 4 guys hiking the AT.

I don't believe they reviewed your video.
Sounds like Appalachian Impressions and Trek. That's just a guess. I haven't seen the magazine.

Mags
11-30-2005, 20:13
Yep..those were the two AT DVDs. Thanks for jogging my memory.

I know quite a few of the people in "WALK", and not many videos about a group attempting a calendar triple crown! That is why those two DVDs stuck in my mind.

Spirit Walker
11-30-2005, 22:02
I love "Really Living" - we've watched it several times now. It always makes me smile.

Sly
12-01-2005, 00:32
I love "Really Living" - we've watched it several times now. It always makes me smile.

LOL... Anyone want to see a fat, out of shape Sly, I'm in it towards the end. Fast foward 7 months later, I'm a lean mean hiking machine!

LIVESTRONG
12-04-2005, 12:24
Ive seen AT Impressions, but I havnt seen trek. I think Walking with Freedom is the best one I have seen though. I think I watched it 4 times while on my thru this year. Thanks Lion King for the video.

Lion King
12-05-2005, 11:43
Ive seen AT Impressions, but I havnt seen trek. I think Walking with Freedom is the best one I have seen though. I think I watched it 4 times while on my thru this year. Thanks Lion King for the video.

Thanks, even if Backpacker didnt decide to feature it, the important thing is that hikers dig it.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the tiem to watch it really.

And as I said before, I dig TREK, and AI is good on the more formal informational side, so you cant lose by buying any of them.
Happy holidays.

LK

Waterbuffalo
12-10-2005, 20:41
I like the blurb in backpacker about whiteblaze but they failed to mention that trailpace.com is run by a wacko

Old Spice
12-16-2005, 01:17
I like the blurb in backpacker about whiteblaze but they failed to mention that trailpace.com is run by a wacko

hahaha! no kidding.