PDA

View Full Version : Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs

daddytwosticks
09-16-2015, 12:07
Planning on a solo hike from Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs (9-25 thru 9-27). I've never hiked this section before, but have been to Max Patch in the past. Probably going to tent around Groundhog Creek Shelter and Walnut Mountain Shelter the second night. Need some updated info on water sources, especially at these shelters; bear activity; trail conditions; etc. Also, how is Verizon cell service on this section? I've checked out alot of past posts, and it appears there was much bear activity along the northern part of this route. Is this still true? Again, any updated info would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see some Whiteblazer's on the trail. :)

joshuasdad
09-16-2015, 13:09
I day hiked the southern 27 miles last year (my first and only "marathon"). I did not see bear sign. I recall that I had some spotty Verizon coverage on the mountain near Standing Bear.

I hope you have your shuttle arranged, because it was my most expensive (per mile) on the trail.

LuckyMan
09-16-2015, 13:21
I started at davenport gap late Monday and am in hot springs now. I am carrying only one liter of water, but some sources in guidebook are unusable because of very low flow. While hiking saw bears Monday and Tuesday high up in oaks harvesting acorns; when they saw me they swiftly descended and ran away. If only the mice were as timid - mouse got into my food hung from cables at GC shelter. Snowbird and Max Patch were amazingly beautiful.

daddytwosticks
09-17-2015, 07:19
Thanks for the info. Yes, transportation all set up. I was planning to hydrate at each water source and carry at least 1 to 2 liters of water at all times. Wish I could tent on top of Max Patch the first night, but that's a lot of miles for me! Really looking forward to this hike. :)

LittleRock
09-17-2015, 08:10
That's a nice section with fairly low traffic. Big climb up Snowbird at the beginning but it's not too bad with fresh legs at the beginning of the day. Nice views from Snowbird and Max Patch - if the weather cooperates.

If you want to break up the miles a little more evenly, there's a nice little campsite about 2 miles north of the Groundhog Creek Shelter with a sign labeled "Hawk's Roost" about 200 ft down a side trail to the left. You're likely to have it all to yourself, and there are no mice. There's also no water, so be sure to fill up at the shelter.

daddytwosticks
09-17-2015, 16:13
That's a nice section with fairly low traffic. Big climb up Snowbird at the beginning but it's not too bad with fresh legs at the beginning of the day. Nice views from Snowbird and Max Patch - if the weather cooperates.

If you want to break up the miles a little more evenly, there's a nice little campsite about 2 miles north of the Groundhog Creek Shelter with a sign labeled "Hawk's Roost" about 200 ft down a side trail to the left. You're likely to have it all to yourself, and there are no mice. There's also no water, so be sure to fill up at the shelter.

Thanks. I just may do that! :)

B_Rizzle
09-17-2015, 19:51
Planning on a solo hike from Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs (9-25 thru 9-27). I've never hiked this section before, but have been to Max Patch in the past. Probably going to tent around Groundhog Creek Shelter and Walnut Mountain Shelter the second night. Need some updated info on water sources, especially at these shelters; bear activity; trail conditions; etc. Also, how is Verizon cell service on this section? I've checked out alot of past posts, and it appears there was much bear activity along the northern part of this route. Is this still true? Again, any updated info would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see some Whiteblazer's on the trail. :)

I plan on doing Max Patch to Hot Springs the first week in October. Can you please post your experience for this trip and answer your own questions? I have a lot of similar questions that I hope you can help with :)

daddytwosticks
09-18-2015, 07:21
I plan on doing Max Patch to Hot Springs the first week in October. Can you please post your experience for this trip and answer your own questions? I have a lot of similar questions that I hope you can help with :)
Certainly will. There is another hiker needing information on this section also. Hopefully, life will not get in the way of this hike and I can pull it off. I've had to cancel other section hikes in the past due to family health issues. :)

Riocielo
09-18-2015, 13:35
B_Rizzle, will you please post your trip details too?
We are planning the same trip the end of October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk