PDA

View Full Version : The slowest, fastest, lighest, longest, oldest, most mentally stable, etc............

Different Socks
09-16-2015, 14:45
Is anyone else tired of hearing about others on these long trails attempting to be the best or worst at completing the length?
Whatever happened to just doing the trail and not caring about how far you have top walk each day, how much weight is in your pack, what your equip and clothing consists of, how fast or slow you go, what your age is or if you have a handicap?

Just the simple fact that you are attempting to do it or you are doing it is amazing enough!

archie
09-16-2015, 14:50
I am kind of tired of all that as well but I suppose it is just human nature and isn't going away.

Another Kevin
09-16-2015, 14:51
That's the way I roll, but it doesn't make as interesting chitchat, so the competitive people get talked about more.

rafe
09-16-2015, 14:55
So what would we talk about?

Odd Man Out
09-16-2015, 14:58
I want to go for the oldest thru hike record. I just need to know how long I have to wait.

Tuckahoe
09-16-2015, 14:59
I really don't care how someone else does the trail. The butt hurt over it all though does get old.

WingedMonkey
09-16-2015, 15:10
I'm still trying to figure out when hiking became a spectator sport.

Different Socks
09-16-2015, 15:22
I'm still trying to figure out when hiking became a spectator sport.

AMEN to that!!

The Solemates
09-16-2015, 15:24
Easy One completed it in 04 or 05 at the ripe age of 81. I think he may be the oldest, and certainly drew the most publicity but I know there have been other attempts since then and I'm not sure how successful they were.

1azarus
09-16-2015, 15:38
Did you say the oldest? Did you say the oldest?

Dogwood
09-16-2015, 15:47
Why let it bother you? It's a waste of energy giving greater traction to that which offends or annoys you. So what? Others do things differently. There doesn't have to be something wrong in any of those differences. Some focus on superlative labels/categories. So what? There doesn't have to be a wrong or right just different while contently being tolerant of those differences.

jdc5294
09-16-2015, 15:49
As someone who does marathons, triathlons and trail running I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I don't have a desire to do it myself but I can 100% understand their desire to do it. Just because you're not a competitive person with a desire to push yourself doesn't mean other people can't be.

shakey_snake
09-16-2015, 16:58
Sign me up for "Largest completely filled cathole".

Lone Wolf
09-16-2015, 17:00
i'm sick of hearing about "regular" thru-hike vacations

nsherry61
09-16-2015, 17:09
Something to keep in mind that that, by the nature of this venue, we see all the talk. The other 90% of the thru hikers, the ones that are just doing it an aren't talking about it, aren't on this web site talking about it.

BirdBrain
09-16-2015, 18:41
I am going for the hiker most obsessed with gram or a milliliter while carrying a pack over 20lbs. In a related category, I am going for the most alcohol stoves built that will never see the trail. I have to be getting close to that record.

Another Kevin
09-16-2015, 19:13
For what it's worth, the slowest section hiker on the Northville-Placid Trail appears to have been Dr. Orra Phelps, who did her first section hike on the trail in 1928 and finished the trail in 1979, 51 years later.

Different Socks
09-16-2015, 19:20
As someone who does marathons, triathlons and trail running I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I don't have a desire to do it myself but I can 100% understand their desire to do it. Just because you're not a competitive person with a desire to push yourself doesn't mean other people can't be.

Yes, but why does everyone give the media circus vibe just b/c they are doing what they are doing. When will it all end? When someone pushes themselves so hard that they kill themselves?

Googan
09-16-2015, 19:56
Agreed. I think its about doing the best you can. The only reason I would be disappointed in myself would be because I didn't try my best.

Sarcasm the elf
09-16-2015, 19:58
I'm just not too concerned either way.

I find it funny when dopes with no LD experience announce that they are going to "not just break, but shatter" a record and the find themselves quietly slinking off after a day or two on the trail.

I also like it when all around good human beings like JPD go out to do what they are most passionate about. It's easy to get behind folks like that and support them.

I really like when people like Snorkel set out to do their personal best and don't realize that they are on track to break a record until someone tells them half way through.

I'm on the fence about folks like Jurek that have no real history with the trail and who have (comparatively) heavy corporate sponsorship. I still enjoyed following along on his FB page (well up until his summit photo, but there are already a few dozen threads about that.

I also strongly prefer seeing all of the hiker types above more than seeing the moving party bubble pass through my neck of the woods each August...

Sarcasm the elf
09-16-2015, 20:16
That said, all of these "hiking for a cause" people are starting to really get on my nerves. Maybe in a few years I'll announce I'm "go to Disney World for a cause" see how it works out...

offpher
09-16-2015, 22:06
I always "hike for a cause"....................cause I like to hike lol

Dogwood
09-16-2015, 23:31
Yes, but why does everyone give the media circus vibe just b/c they are doing what they are doing. When will it all end? When someone pushes themselves so hard that they kill themselves?

I think you're more intelligent and insightful than that. You can likely answer your own question If you considerate it carefully.

Superlatives and out of the ordinary events make for dramatic story telling possibly more so than the normal. Dramatic stories, the more excessively over the top the better, is what many flock too. What readerships/viewerships flock to in greater numbers will always be vigorously pursued by the media. Somebody dying while pursuing these dramatic supelative endeavors only makes for greater drama. It would be welcome by those that "report" and those that like to hear of such dramatic negative reports.

Remember the big hullabaloo about the amount of sex and violence in the entertainment industry particularly in movies and on TV but also in print about 15 yrs ago? The people making the big stink had valid points. What were they told? Oh, just change the channel, don't see that movie, don't read that, etc. I think that relevant here. Change your channel. Don't pay attention to these things. YOU DO have some control over what you watch, read, and give credence. Never forget that.