PDA

View Full Version : Young First-Time Female Backpacker Looking for Suggestions

Kerosene
11-30-2005, 10:10
I finally convinced my 16-year old daughter to join me on my annual AT backpacking trip this coming June. We will hike the 75 miles from Atkins south to Damascus in 5-7 days. I'll be trying to make it easy for her, carrying some of her equipment and stopping at places with showers the first two nights (Partnership Shelter and Troutdale)! A few days later she'll get to experience the open spaces of Mt. Rogers and the wild ponies of Grayson Highlands. I do not doubt that she will use up the entire 1 GB of memory taking digital pictures.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to keep her pack weight down to 17-20 pounds in total. She's in reasonable shape, weighs 115 pounds, and is 5'4", but I'm sure that this will test her endurance.

I'm looking for female-specific suggestions and equipment that has not already been covered in this forum.

She has a long torso, so there's a chance that I can get her a Granite Gear Vapor Trail sized large enough that I can use it for myself next year!

I've been looking at the Merrell Chameleon II Ventilator Mid (http://www.merrell.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?NavID=FT-O-CHM&PID=9777) for boots, but I'd love to hear your ideas on what has worked for you.

She really is a novice, and unfortunately I'm a fast hiker, so I also thought about bringing a set of Motorola two-way hand radios/walkie-talkies just in case. Has anyone used these successfully in the mountains?

I'm not sure that she'd consider walking in a skirt, but please point me to one that you think would work well for her.

Thanks for your help!

Smile
11-30-2005, 10:23
Great you are taking your daughter out!

The Merrell boots are great, and I also recommend the Merrell Torrent Mid Waterproof, they're super light and ready for anything, cost about $89 and can be used off trail as well.

I'd forget about the 'radios" and make every effort to make this HER hike, slow down, take smaller steps and enjoy yourself - you'll earn that trust that comes with the comfort she may need her first time hiking that you will always be within sight while on trail - she'll let you know if she needs space.

Make her feelings/learning experience your first thought and priority in everything....cooking, setting up, hiking, using the privy, etc. It really sucks when you feel like things are moving so fast that you can't "learn" how to do it yourself. These will be skills she'll have forever, and great memories will be made!

Alligator
11-30-2005, 11:26
I'd forget about the 'radios" and make every effort to make this HER hike, slow down, take smaller steps and enjoy yourself - you'll earn that trust that comes with the comfort she may need her first time hiking that you will always be within sight while on trail - she'll let you know if she needs space.

Make her feelings/learning experience your first thought and priority in everything....cooking, setting up, hiking, using the privy, etc. It really sucks when you feel like things are moving so fast that you can't "learn" how to do it yourself. These will be skills she'll have forever, and great memories will be made!
Great Advice.

The first time my wife went backpacking, she thought that 6 miles was a lot. Well, it was for her. You are contemplating 10-15 mile days. With very few exceptions, I wouldn't take any novice more than 10 miles/day. If this is her first time hiking, you want it to be as smooth as possible. It's not your hike, it's HER hike. I know it's cliche, but you only have one chance to make a first impression.

Rain Man
11-30-2005, 11:56
She really is a novice, and unfortunately I'm a fast hiker, so I also thought about bringing a set of Motorola two-way hand radios/walkie-talkies just in case. Has anyone used these successfully in the mountains?

I have used those "2-mile" versions on hikes up and down Mt. LeConte in the Smokies. They are a gimmick, not really much use. I could hear people down in Gatlinburg talking, but couldn't get my own kids up ahead and around the bend in the mountain (or, were they just ignoring me?!).

I'd say two things about walkie-talkie type radios. Use 'em only if your daughter wants them, and if so, get the kind that have a 5-mile advertised range. None of them effectively reach even half their alleged ranges. And, get and use ear buds. Still, I think all that is way-overkill.

Rain:sunMan

art to linda
11-30-2005, 11:58
I've been wearing Montrail boots for 2 years now & have been very happy with them.... but make sure that you get them at the end of the day after she has been on her feet all day, womans feet can swell more then mens. I also think you should slow down your pace for this hike. If you want to have a future hiking buddy, use this time to make sure that your daughter is enjoying her hike by setting your pace to hers. At 16 she may have insucure feelings about being left behind by your faster pace that she won't tell you about so as not to spoil your hike. She could also push herself to hard trying to keep up with you and that could take a lot of the fun out of it for her..... there will be plenty of time down the road after this hike to try differant hiking paces as long as she has a good time on this one. If she is interested in the plants & critters that you may come accross bring along a small book to ID them later at camp. Plan on stopping often in the begining to make sure she is drinking(something young people forget to do) enough and use that time (stelth wise) to check out how she is doing. The best gift you can give her on this hike is confidense in her abilities and the knowlage that as the hike goes on her abilities will grow, let her push herself but keep a close eye so that she does it without going to far to fast.

Kerosene
11-30-2005, 12:55
Just to reassure folks, I was anticipating that I would not be able to hike at my usual pace. That said, I also know that I can get impatient at times and want to keep moving just as she spies that gorgeous flower and stops to take 10 pictures from various angles. I plan to carry more weight than normal to slow me down a bit, and I'm sure we'll be taking more rest breaks than I'm used to. She's the type who won't try to keep up with me and will go at her own pace regardless of what I "suggest".

I've debated on the daily mileage. We'll be able to camp if the mileage proves too far, but it will be mid-June and the days are long. I'll be carrying extra food just in case. We'll be driving down so we can extend the hike a few days if needed, or even call a shuttler if we decide to bail out. I don't want to listen to her gripe for the rest of the summer about how her father dragged her for 75 miles!

Mouse
11-30-2005, 16:21
I did very well with low-top Merrell XCR Chameleons on my thruhike. But that will ultimately depend on her foot shape, not everyone can wear the same boot.

For the rest of her gear, get measured and try on many different packs to find the best fit, making sure to try it with some weight in it. I found REI was wonderful, when the Mountainsmith Ghost turned out too small after one test hike they happily exchanged it at full purchase price for a Chimera, so I only paid the sales tax and price difference. For everything else, look at lightweight; the less you have to carry the easier it is! Several big zip-lock bags can be useful for carrying out trash and many find wet-wipes handy.

Once on the trail, do not be afraid to start with very modest mileage. I started at about 7 miles a day and took quite a while to get to above 10 miles per day and still got to Katahdin just fine. I saw hiker after hiker go for big miles only to have to leave the trail with an injury.

Lilred
11-30-2005, 18:33
I just bought a pair of Solomon boots and love them. You might want to check those out too. As far as specific items to bring, definately wet wipes and hand sanitizer.

As far as a skirt for hiking in, I got mine at REI. But I looked for a long time before finding them and even then they weren't exactly what I wanted. It's much easier to find a hiking skirt for a man than it is a woman. And if that woman has hips, forget it. The men's skirts won't fit. What I like best is a wrap around skirt, one that hits just below the knees. I'm considering making my own out of silk.

Rollergirl
12-01-2005, 04:08
Aaaaah, I think it's terrific that you are taking your daughter on this hike!

Best thing you can do: hike behind her. If you really need walkie talkies, then you really aren't hiking WITH her, you know what I mean? When I first got into hiking with someone who was an experienced backpacker, he knew just how to help me enjoy my frist backpacking trips: he always let me lead so that I'd set the pace (while subconsciously pushing myself a bit to not be "too slow" for him), he always pointed out things I couldn't see as I was concentrating on where to put my freakin' feet, and we scheduled breaks every two hours for about 15-20 minutes so that we covered some terrain but still got to rest.

Take a million pictures--she'll be thrilled to look back on THIS trip as the one that helped her love the outdoors and brought her closer to her dad.

Buy her (and carry of course if its heavy) a cool recycled paper journal so she can write about it in camp and reflect on what she learned that day (pacesetting, how to cook, and all that stuff).

It would be highly advantageous to have this trip NOT coincide with her monthly cycle; what a weird thing to have to adjust to on your first trip in the woods!

I wish more fathers would take the time to share the outdoors with their daughters, and your daughter is lucky to have you for her Dad. I hope you both have the hike of a lifetime and that this is just the start of your adventures together!!

*warm fuzzies*

Muchas Smoochas,
Rollergirl

SGT Rock
12-01-2005, 08:24
I don't normally come to this forum - I try to keem my male self out. BUT, the first one of my children I got into backpacking was my daughter. We had great times doing that and I wish she would still do it today, but anyway...

My experience getting her, and other children interested is that you may want to plan low mileage (<10 per day) trips with destinations that have something kids would find interesting. The absolute hands down winner in my experience is water. Kids could hike to the most amazing overlook, say "That's cool" then start throwing rocks in puddles at the top. If you hike to a campsite near a creek or waterfall, they have a GREAT time playing in the water and throwing rocks at it, and later on roasting marshmellows at night. These sorts of trips are always the most popular for my kids.

The absolute best trips are ones where the trail follows a stream course, this way every break is a chance to play.

Rough
12-01-2005, 22:21
I agree that you (the faster hiker) should hike behind your daughter. That way she sets the pace and also decides when its time to rest or look around or contemplate how to get up, down, or around a particular trail feature. Also keep enough distance so that if she stops abruptly you won't run into her. My wife is the slower one and when we hike together this method works really well. Sure I can go faster, but this way she doesn't push beyond her capability and we get to experience the hike together.

rainmaker
12-01-2005, 22:41
Let your daughter set the pace and follow Sarge's advice . It will be worth it.

Hammock Hanger
12-02-2005, 08:27
I agree that you (the faster hiker) should hike behind your daughter. That way she sets the pace and also decides when its time to rest or look around or contemplate how to get up, down, or around a particular trail feature. Also keep enough distance so that if she stops abruptly you won't run into her. My wife is the slower one and when we hike together this method works really well. Sure I can go faster, but this way she doesn't push beyond her capability and we get to experience the hike together.

If you hike behind her definitely give her some space. I hated when a faster hiker wanted to hike with me but then insisted on being on my heels. I instinctively would push myself faster then I was comfortable with and would get, stressed & cranky. Hope you enjoy this hike. I took my kids backpacking alot. Sue

V8
12-02-2005, 13:47
Maybe your daughter would like to come online and ask some questions herself?

Marta
12-02-2005, 14:07
Some preparatory dayhikes of 5-10 miles would make sure her boots and other clothes are comfortable. Not to mention testing her muscles, and seeing whether she knows how to keep herself hydrated and fed well enough to feel strong and cheerful.

Is she squeamish about uh...rustic bathroom facilities? An astonishing number of women and young girls are. My daughter went on a dayhike last year and the other young women (and most of the young men, except one guy who had been in the Russian army) on the trip elected to "hold it" all day rather than go behind a tree. She also went to the Live 8 concert in Philly with several other girls, none of whom (besides my daughter, a veteran camper and horse show-er) would use the Porta-Johns. Holding it all day and night rather poisons one's outlook on life, but appears to be a widespread phenomenon these days.

Other than that, I ditto what most of the others have said: Let her set the pace and decide when to stop, and how many pictures to take. (Make sure you get one of her with a wild pony nearby. She'll want to show her friends.) And never, never exhibit impatience or irritation. She's your guest on this hike, and you're the host, so it's up to you to let her have a good time. (You obviously know this already, which is why you asked the original question.)

Also, she may be too young to know that adversity if the mother of adventure. In the early 90's my husband and I led some small groups of extremely overpriviledged teenaged girls on horseback riding trips to Russia and the Crimea. The ones who complained the loudest and most frequently during the trip were the ones who appeared to feel the proudest of themselves for having "survived." The kids (and adults) who take cold, rainy, nasty weather and strange food in stride also are fairly laid back about making it through the experience, since they knew they were never endangered anyway. The ones who squeal with horror at being offered cucumbers for breakfast, or having to use small towels after a shower (can you imagine?!), are the ones who think they've conquered the earth for living through the experience.

I hope you have a great trip! My father took me on an overnight hike in the Whites. I have been wanting to thru-hike the AT ever since. 2006 is my year...

Grass
12-06-2005, 16:56
Hello all! As a shoe-saleswoman and a former AT hiker please take all the suggestions to heart but not as absolute. I have had so many people return shoes because somebody recommended them but the shoes just didn't fit. My feet are my own, as own as my fingerprint, as are yours. And while Montrail (the narrow boots also available in wide) may work for some, others may need a wider Merrell. Note that Merrell tends to be hotter than other shoes and break down a little faster. You can tell they are hotter by walking around the store for about twenty minutes and if you have sweaty feet (like mine) it will show-- they are also a lot thicker with padding which makes them hotter. They are awesome, comfortable, and for a few have been long lasting. However, I have seen people rip them up in a matter of months and are then lamenting the fact that they spent a hundred bucks on them at all. Like I said, everyone is different. Just make sure your daughter tries on SEVERAL different pairs, make sure she walks up and down an incline so that she gets a feel for how much her heels might slip or to make sure her toes don't hit the front.
ALSO! Remember this: I hiked over half the AT in Montrail Hardrocks- trailrunners which I NEVER tied. The shoelaces ended up breaking and I never noticed because I never even tied them. So your daughter might also need trail runners to really be comfortable. Be open-minded to how her feet feel and keep in mind that it's her feet and ankles in those shoes- and she's big enough to tell you how she feels. I have to be honest, nothing drives me crazier than seeing a young lady walk out of the store with shoes I know will give her blisters because her father refused to believe that she is different from him and that she can survive perfectly fine with something lighter than what he thought appropriate (not that I'm saying you'll do this- it's just something that I see often).
And maybe most importantly for both of you- foot health is key, so look for supports. Superfeet are the best bang for your buck at $35 and are made by podiatrists. Shoes are made to fit anyone- you can pull the insole out and twist it around in almost any pair of shoes. Make sure you've got something that will help your plantar fascia (the tight band under your arch would be the best way to describe it now) while hiking. Also, most people get blisters from over-tightening their boots. They need to be snug, but a little movement isn't always a bad thing. Listen to your feet, they will talk!
And of course, HAVE FUN!!!! : )

-Grass

longshank
01-12-2006, 15:22
I finally convinced my 16-year old daughter to join me on my annual AT backpacking trip this coming June. We will hike the 75 miles from Atkins south to Damascus in 5-7 days. I'll be trying to make it easy for her, carrying some of her equipment and stopping at places with showers the first two nights (Partnership Shelter and Troutdale)! A few days later she'll get to experience the open spaces of Mt. Rogers and the wild ponies of Grayson Highlands. I do not doubt that she will use up the entire 1 GB of memory taking digital pictures.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to keep her pack weight down to 17-20 pounds in total. She's in reasonable shape, weighs 115 pounds, and is 5'4", but I'm sure that this will test her endurance.

I'm looking for female-specific suggestions and equipment that has not already been covered in this forum.

She has a long torso, so there's a chance that I can get her a Granite Gear Vapor Trail sized large enough that I can use it for myself next year!

I've been looking at the Merrell Chameleon II Ventilator Mid (http://www.merrell.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?NavID=FT-O-CHM&PID=9777) for boots, but I'd love to hear your ideas on what has worked for you.

I'm not sure that she'd consider walking in a skirt, but please point me to one that you think would work well for her.

Thanks for your help!
I reccomend that she attach herself to the most dominant alpha-male she encounters if she hopes to survive her thru-hiking experince.

dixicritter
01-12-2006, 19:56
Longshank.... I recommend that if you are going to post in this forum that you respect the fact that this is suppose to be a safe place for the women and girls to post.

This is the third thread tonight that I have either seen inappropriate comments made by you or just down right rude comments. If this continues steps will be taken to keep you from having the ability to post your comments in this section.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Twofiddy
01-13-2006, 11:41
I read this forum alot, partially for my own education, to assist the women that I have to wait on in the outdoor retail business, so that I can better understand some of the needs of this huge group of hikers.

I am going to comment on two things. The first of those two things is the gear, pack, etc. If you can afford it, purchase a pack that fits your daughter. I have never ever seen a female that wears a large Granite Gear torso. I have been outfitting for years now and I am not saying that one does not exist, it is just rare. So what I am saying is that it my not be possible to purchase a pack for her to use that fits you also. I must admit that when you are 16 you are much tougher and will tolerate certain things better than when you are 26 or 36 or 46. So consider investing in a pack. Possibly one of the Kelty packs that has a slightly adjustable torso would work good for you, but there are women specific packs out there by just about everyone now. Gregoy Deva 60, Osprey Aerial, Marmot Deva, Granite Gear KI series, and more.

The second things is about the walkie talkie thing. Just dont do it. I dont know that I agree completly with hiking behind your duaghter the whole time as you may want to set some examples of how you hike, but definatly I would not get way out in front because it feels really bad to try and keep up with some one else. I would also consider a few warm up hikes of at least 5 miles together with or without loaded packs just to get the idea of how hard it is to walk that far.

TDale
01-13-2006, 12:15
On the "rustic facilities" aspect. My sister found that a cheap vinyl poncho as a privacy garment made her more comfortable.

Tree-girl
01-20-2006, 21:00
I'd look into some Montrails. I have a pair of the merrell chameleons, and while I like them well enough, the Montrails I usually hike in are far better all around. Hope you two have a great trip!

ssjett
02-10-2006, 13:39
If she's at all squeamish about keeping clean, try bringing baby wipes for her. They don't weigh too much, & it feels wonderful to clean off at the end of the day. Keeps you from feeling stinky and sticky, especially if she's used to bathing every day. Just a thought.

kap
07-17-2007, 02:07
Ive been hiking with my dad since I could, well, hike. Its been some of the best times, and I have a much more open honest relationship with him then most of my friends do with their fathers. But be ready for the rocky times in the hike, my father would often push me to move faster, and I would spend the days not talking to him, however that was all made up for by the views from peaks and the memories brought back.

I love hiking with my father and wouldnt trade the time spent with him for anything in the world, but if I did have one peice of advice I would say make sure she actually wants to do this, its never good to have an upset teenager in the middle of a hike.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-17-2007, 05:14
There are now baby wash cloths that do not require you to rinse after washing. Just add water and they bubble up and are very effective in removing hiking grim. They come in several light scents. Best thing I've found for keeping this she-dino (and my grand and great-grand she-dinos) happy when an active day has left us sticky and icky.
If she's at all squeamish about keeping clean, try bringing baby wipes for her. They don't weigh too much, & it feels wonderful to clean off at the end of the day. Keeps you from feeling stinky and sticky, especially if she's used to bathing every day. Just a thought.

Ghost3
08-13-2007, 23:16
Figure I'll throw my $0.02 story / experience into the pot.

Last year, I proposed a small (3 day - 21 miler) trip to my 2 children. At the time, my daughter was 12, son was 10. I looked though maps for WEEKS to find a good 'loop' hike that had plenty of cutouts, or places we could quit if needed. The kids were absolutely thrilled to be going 'Backpacking with Dad'

Now, let's keep in mind that the last time _I_ went for any serious hiking was about 20 years ago in Boy Scouts. The kids had never gone at all. To offset this, both were definitely NOT squirmy about facilities (or lack thereof), since the've also been in Scouting since they were old enough to be allowed.

So, I borrowed a few backpacks, bagged some food and gorp, and we set out for the AT. I picked my daughter up from summer camp and we went straight to the trailhead, listening to her tell us that there was strep throat running through the camp. :rolleyes:

Things I've learned:
1. anyone under the age of 14 is automatically upgraded to the next difficulty level of the trail (ie: if it says 'Strenuous', for kids it means 'Extremely Strenuous')

2. regular tennis shoes / sneakers are good enough for a small hike. You don't want to buy $250 boots for someone that may never wear them again.

3. toilet paper in a ziploc bag will earn you many hugs and smiles from a daughter who is preparing to 'cathole' out in the woods with large leaves :)

4. Hiking behind 2 kids is stressful, especially when one is slightly slower than you....and the other one is a hiking machine. (believe it or not, the younger one was faster)

5. When making food bags for each person, it always a good idea to actually put all of the bags in the vehicle before leaving.

6. Borrowed packs will NEVER adjust perfectly.

7. Strep Throat usually takes a little while to 'blossom'.

8. Cutout spots on any hike are good.

So, after walking (climbing) up the Chestnut Trail to the AT, then slightly downhill to Davenport Gap Shelter, we made camp for the first night. 3 miles (ok 2 miles with a 1750 foot rise) for the first day, 12 miles for the next...and 7 for the last. Both kids were in very high spirits and had enjoyed themselves immensely.

Well, like I mentioned, cutout spots are good, and #7 mentioned above is a wonderful thing to discover upon waking up in a shelter. After getting a ride from a great guy and his grandson (out for a drive) from the Gap back to the ranger station, packing everything back into the car and start driving home.....

My feverish, delirious daughter keeps chanting that she's really sorry for messing up the trip and wants to go again. Upon arriving at home, the girl who carried her 30# pack back down the mountian had a fever of 103.

2 weeks later, she gets a birthday present that she has been begging for every day since the trip: her brand new, sized-for-her backpack. She even through her own money into it from the various other b-day cards.

She's also counting the days until she turns 14 and can join the high adventure Venture Crew (co-ed BSA)

When I tell that story to other BSA leaders that have daughters that can't stand dirt, bugs, exercise and camping, I finish with....

" I win!!!"

PS: Pics posted in my gallery

PPS: yes, they're getting proper equipment now, this trip was just the 'trial run'

Twofiddy
09-17-2007, 11:57
Most excellent post!!

Remember guys, if you are reading here in the womens forum, the frustration that you felt as a young man looking for a good woman that camps, hikes, fishes, paddles, skis, cycles, or what ever else you loved to do as a tesosterone filled young buck... that when you settled for your wife who does 1/10th of these things at 1/20th the level that you did, that you have an obligation to take your daughters out and do this stuff to help provide the next generation with the opportunity that you did not have.... The ability to meet a number of girls that could keep up so that you could use natural selection process to find a mate.

Creek Dancer
09-17-2007, 12:09
So we should raise our daughters to backpack so that male backpackers have a larger number of women from which to choose as their mate? :mad:

Lilred
09-17-2007, 16:58
We should raise our daughters to find good mates. And a backpacking male can be a very good mate. Sooooo ya, maybe we should raise our daughters to backpack.......

Jan LiteShoe
09-17-2007, 18:35
How did this hike ever turn out?

Inquiring minds and all that.

Was it quality dad-daughter time?

Thanks for your help!

WalkingStick75
09-17-2007, 21:01
Brings back memories of taking my kids out on trips. On all the trips I don't think any one of them finished where I had planned. Mileage, I tried to keep under 10 miles per day and let them smell the roses as much as they wanted picking spots where they would have good memories. Mt. Rogers is a good choice. I also hiked as the last one in the group so I would have to adjust to the slowest pace. I also tried to make the nightly dinners something special like making instant pudding and cornbread. Not my normal trip but it made for good memories, for all of us.

Twofiddy
09-20-2007, 16:33
So we should raise our daughters to backpack so that male backpackers have a larger number of women from which to choose as their mate? :mad:

Well considering the occasional domestic dispute over who is to carry what where in my relationships, yea... raise them to backpack, ski, paddle, dig worms, surf, know basic first aid, like to take photos, appreciate art, sleep under the stars, or in the back of a Jeep Cherokee, or what ever else would make them be able to keep up more with the pace that guys learn in these kinds of physical activities....